Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
September 28, 2015
This Week's Features
Tuesday: New Pro-Schoolers Welcomed
The 2015 MIME Pro-School convocation is Tuesday at the LaSells Stewart Center, beginning at 6:30 pm. Newly admitted pro-schoolers from summer and fall terms (and a guest) are welcomed to the professional program. A reception follows the program. Faculty and staff are welcome, too.
2015 Pro-School Convocation | DATE: Tues., Sept 29 | TIME: 6:30 pm | PLACE: LaSells Stewart Center
All MIME Graduate Students Welcome -- GS^4 Kickoff (and FREE Pizza)
Fall's first meeting of the graduate student networking group, Graduate Student Social Skills Society, GS^4, will be this week on Thursday. All MIME graduate students are welcome to come and meet the members and learn about the social activities and skill-building sessions planned for the upcoming year. GS^4 would also like to treat you to pizza for coming to the meeting and checking out the group.
GS^4 Kickoff Meeting | DATE: Thurs., Oct. 1 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Friday -- Frisbee Social
Students -- here is your chance to rub shoulders with membership and leaders of, not one, but three student chapter groups at the ASME, SME, and IIE Frisbee Social. Come by and play Frisbee – or just hang out and listen to music – at the nice green park across from Kearney Hall between 3:00 and 5:30 pm on Fri., Oct. 2, and enjoy this great weather.
Congratulations to our College of Engineering Fall Awards Winners
MIME's faculty and staff received a number of honors from the college and the university conferred at the 2015 Fall Awards Breakfast. Gina Newcomb, Undergraduate Student Specialist, won the COE Classified Employee Award, and John Parmigiani won the Austin-Paul Engineering Faculty Award. At OSU-Cascades, Robin Feuerbacher was recognized with the Teaching Excellence Award, and Chris Hagen won the Scholarship and Creativity Award. This year's International Service Award went to Bob Paasch, and the Industry Partnering Award went to John Parmigiani; these were both university-level honors. Congratulations to our winners!
DARPA's Robotics Fast Track Program Picks Two from MIME
Assistant Professors Ross Hatten and Yigit Menguc (both from robotics) each submitted a proposal for funding to the DARPA-sponsored Robotics Fast Track program, and they were among the first projects selected for funding. Menguc's project will investigate "Direct 3D Printing of Silicone Elastomer to Make Soft Robots." Hatton's project "Spiderbots" will equip small legged mobile robots with draglines similar to those of a spider.
David Blunck Named AIAA Young Engineer of the Year
Assistant Professor David Blunck (mechanical engineering, thermal-fluid sciences) was honored by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA). Blunck is the 2014 - 2015 Pacific Northwest Section Young Engineer of the Year. The Pacific Northwest region includes Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Alaska. The winner must be 35 years old or younger, demonstrate career advancement with increasing responsibility, recognition for outstanding professional achievements, and have continuing education.
Third Gold Award for IIE Student Chapter
The Oregon State IIE student chapter group has won the institute's Gold Award for the third consecutive year. The awards are given based upon points scored on the University Chapter Activity Report (UCAR). Congratulations to the group and their advisor Hector Vergara.
Mark Your Calendar
Study Abroad in Mechanical Engineering: Talk about it Tuesday
The ATLANTIS Dual-degree Bachelors Program offers first-year through third-year mechanical engineering students the opportunity to travel to Germany for a year of engineering study. At the end of the ATLANTIS program, successful students will earn a BS in Mechanical Engineering from Oregon State and a BS in Materials Science from the University of the Saarland in Germany. Find more information at the ATLANTIS website or contact the program director, Prof. Brady J. Gibbons, any time.
ATLANTIS Drop-In Info Session | DATE: Tues., Sept. 29 | TIME: 12-5 pm | PLACE: Dearborn 303
Intro to Robotics Seminar on Friday
Professor Kagan Tumer will give a robotics seminar this week on Friday. The discussion will include an overview of robotics at Oregon State, as well as discuss the current renovations of Graf Hall and planned improvement over the next two years.
Intro to Robotics | DATE: Fri., Oct. 2 | TIME: 10 am | PLACE: Rogers 226
Apply by Friday! Oregon State Postdoc Research Symposium
Attention postdocs and/or research associates -- submit abstracts by Friday. The OSU Postdoctoral Association is collecting submissions for the 4th Annual Postdoc Research Symposium. The event brings together postdocs, faculty, and university administrators from across campus for an opportunity to share their work with the OSU community. The Oct. 20 evening event includes a wine/appetizer/poster session in MU 49 (Horizon Conference Room – the old bookstore). Participants who register a project by Friday, October 2nd, will be eligible to compete for three $100 awards for best poster.
CCE Presents “Great Builders” in New Lecture Series
The School of Civil and Construction Engineering is launching its "OSU CCE Distinguished Lecture Series" with an event Oct. 5. The series is presented by Kiewit. Veteran builder and award-winning civil engineering historian, Paul Giroux, will give the debut lecture “Great Builders.” To attend, please register online at their information page.
CCE “Great Builders” | DATE: Mon., Oct. 5 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: Austin Auditorium, LaSells Center
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
MPRL Opening Hours – Week One
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 12-5 pm | Tuesday – 12-2 pm; 4-5 pm | Wednesday – 12-5 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 5 pm | Friday – 2-5 pm | Saturday – closed.
ASME General Meetings Begin Oct. 6
The General ASME meetings will be weekly on Tuesdays from 6-7 pm in Rogers 230. The meeting commence the week of Oct. 6.
Six Sigma Green Belt Course
The Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) Training Center and the OSU IIE Student Chapter are working together to offer the Six Sigma Green Belt for Process Improvement course during fall 2015. At the end of the three-day course participants take the IIE Green Belt Exam (included in the course fee). Participants who pass the exam receive IIE's Six Sigma Green Belt Certificate. The program costs $500 for students, and $950 for professionals and alumni. For additional information, go to the website oregonstateiie.org/six-sigma/ or contact the IIE Training & Education Chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Six Sigma Green Belt | DATE: Oct. 9-11 | TIME: 8:30 am - 5 pm on Friday and Saturday; 8:30 am - 1:30 pm Sunday | PLACE: OSU Corvallis campus
Job and Internship Opportunities
SYSTEMA, a software solutions provider for the manufacturing industries (e.g., semiconductor, photovoltaics, electronics, automotive, medical devices and aerospace), seeks 1) a Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) Software Engineer, Beaver Careers ID: 7525 and 2) an Equipment Integration (EI) Software Engineer, Beaver Careers ID: 7526.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Columbia Cascade Company seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 10/2/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7209
- Zappos.com Inc. or Its Affiliates seeks a Mobile Front End Development College Intern Location: Las Vegas, Nevada Job ad expires on: 10/2/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7777
- Translations.com seeks a Localization Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 10/6/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7290
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a TECHNICAL MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 10/9/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 8108
- Jeld-Wen seeks a Group Manager Location: Klamath Falls, OR & Other Nationwide Job ad expires on: 10/10/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7355
- Dexter System Inc seeks a an Entry Level / Mid Level JAVA Developers Location: Erie,Pennsylvania Job ad expires on: 10/11/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7406
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Entry Level Engineer/Estimator Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 10/12/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7874
- CLEAResult seeks an Energy Engineer I/II Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 10/13/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7445
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company seeks a Production Management Development Location: Davenport, IA; Crete, NE; Clinton, IA; Bloomfield, MO Job ad expires on: 10/15/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6531
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company seeks an Operations Performance Management Development Location: Davenport, IA; Crete, NE; Clinton, IA Job ad expires on: 10/15/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6532
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company seeks a R&D Engineering Management Development Location: Clinton, IA; Crete, NE Job ad expires on: 10/15/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6533
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company seeks an Engineering Management Development Location: Davenport, IA; Crete, NE; Clinton, IA; Bloomfield, MO Job ad expires on: 10/15/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6534
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company seeks an Engineering Internship (Summer 2016) Location: Denver, CO; Jefferson, WI Job ad expires on: 10/15/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6671
- Eaton Corporation seeks a Power Systems Automation Engineer, Early Talent Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 10/23/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7547
- Eaton Corporation seeks a Power Systems Automation Engineer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 10/26/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 8059
- Eaton Corporation seeks a Field Service Engineer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 10/26/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 8058
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 10/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7707
- ConAgra Foods seeks an Associate Process Engineer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 10/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7696
- Lenity Architecture seeks an Engineer-In Training Location: Salem, OR Job ad expires on: 10/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7714
- Interfor Corporation seeks a Reliability Engineer Location: Gilchrist, Oregon Job ad expires on: 10/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7716
- Delta Construction Corporation seeks an Engineer I Location: Kapolei, Oahu, Hawaii Job ad expires on: 10/31/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7742
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Quality Assurance Specialist 1 Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 11/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7760
- Aerotek seeks a Recruiter/Sales Management Trainee Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 11/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7756
- Equilibrium seeks an Analyst (Ag & Food) Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 11/2/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7789
- Hitachi Consulting seeks a Senior Consultant Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 11/6/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7482
- Arup seeks a Graduate & Intern Engineering Positions Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/7/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7843
- Linear Technology seeks a Process Engineering Intern Location: Camas, WA Job ad expires on: 11/8/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7889
- Apache Inc. seeks a Manufacturing Quality Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 11/9/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 7895
- CSD Nano, Inc. seeks a Mechanical Design Engineer Location: Corvallis, Oregon Job ad expires on: 11/15/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 8011
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.