Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
February 2, 2015
This Week's Features
Students, Time to Register -- CBEE-EECS-MIME Industry Reception is Feb 18
The 2015 Industry Reception recruiting event is open to both graduate and undergraduate students, with employers recruiting for positions ranging from paid summer internships to full-time, experienced hires. Twenty-three companies -- including CH2M HILL, E. & J. Gallo Winery, Georgia-Pacific, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory and WaterTectonics -- will be on site, looking to recruit among our majors, as well as engineers from School of EECS and CBEE. Don’t miss out! The online registration form for students is currently open, and the positions fill fast. Please also upload your resume for inclusion in the resume portfolio, which we deliver to key industry partners following the event.
Industry Reception | DATE: Wed., Feb 18 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: KEC
Design/Mechanics Seminar: NSF Insight: Increased Success when Submitting Proposals
Dr. Chris Paredis, National Science Foundation Program Director for the Engineering and Systems Design (ESD) and Systems Science (SYS), will present a discussion on “A Theoretical Framework for Systems Engineering and Design – Asking ‘Why?’ rather than just ‘How?” ” as part of the Design/Mechanics seminar series. Dr. Paredis will present some thoughts on the desired characteristics of a rigorous research methodology for systems engineering and design. The presentation will end with some logistical details about the NSF programs and an opportunity for Q&A. The overall goal is to increase the success of principal investigators when submitting proposals to the ESD or SYS programs.
Design/Mechanics Seminar | DATE: Fri., Feb 6 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: 212 Kearney
Call for Abstracts for 5th Annual Hyodrophile Water Research Symposium
All students doing research in a field related to freshwater resources are invited to submit an abstract to the 5th annual Hydrophiles' Water Research Symposium, April 26-28 at the Oregon State Alumni Center. Abstracts can be on proposed, ongoing, or recently completed projects and may be on any aspect of freshwater resources. Submit an abstract online. Abstract submission will be open until March 6, and the maximum length is 350 words. The Hydrophiles’ Water Research Symposium is a student-centric event that builds connections between students, professionals, and citizens of the Northwest with interests in freshwater resources.
Great Idea #752: Willamette Startup Weekend hosted by Oregon State
Oregon State University will host this year's Willamette Startup Weekend, Friday, Feb 6, through -Sunday, Feb 8. Participants will have 54 hours to come up with a business idea that will be pitched to an accelerator panel, and the winners will receive funding to turn their ideas into reality. Register online in advance, and get pitching! Ticket prices to this event range from about $20 to $100.
Mark Your Calendar
Robotics Seminar: Underwater Telerobotics Using Haptics
Howard J. Chizeck, Professor of Electrical Engineering, University of Washington, will speak as part of the School of MIME Robotics Seminar series. Dr. Chizeck will present, "Underwater Telerobotics Using Haptics." Haptic rendering is the application of forces in a virtual environment to a user interface (such as a flight control stick, haptic glove or surgical robot hand controls). He will discuss his research into algorithms which perform haptic rendering of dynamically changing objects in real time, using one or more RGB-cameras. This allows for 'remote touching' of moving 3D physical objects.
Robotics Seminar | DATE: Tues., Feb 10 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: 226 Rogers
Materials Science Seminar: Probing Earth Science Materials with X-Ray Tomography
Dr. Dorthe Wildenschild from Chemical, Biological, and Environmental engineering and Associate Dean, OSU Graduate School will be talking about "Probing Earth Science Materials and their Relevant Transport and Transformation Variables with X-Ray Tomography.” This presentation will provide an overview over the current state of imaging of earth science materials using x-ray tomography (technique that allows for three-dimensional observation and measurement of variables internal to an otherwise opaque object), as well as a discussion of use of contrast agents, technique limitations, and new potential advances.
Materials Science Seminar | DATE: Thurs., Feb 5 | TIME: 3 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
MPRL Opening Hours – Week 5 Winter Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The fall term schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for the week ending Jan. 31 is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8-10 am; 12-5 pm | Tuesday – 8-10 am; 12-4 pm; 6-9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am; 12-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am – 12 pm; 4-9 pm | Friday – 8- 10 am; 12-5 pm | Saturday – 9 am – 5 pm
February Food Drive Month
As part of the Governor’s State Employees Food Drive, Oregon State raised the equivalent of 525,500 pounds of food last year. Please check out the food-drive events calendar, and help out when you can!
REU at Hatfield Marine Science Center
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, Earth & Atmospheric Sciences, Computer Science majors have the opportunity to gain research experience in the interdisciplinary field of marine and estuarine science research. Oregon State University is offering summer marine science internships to 20 college students through its Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program at the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport and College of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences in Corvallis. The 10-week program matches qualified students with faculty mentors representing a wide range of ocean science research interests, including: Cetacean/Fisheries Conservation Genetics; Marine Aquaculture; Physical, Chemical and Biological Oceanography; Marine Geology; Coastal Ecology; Marine Renewable Energy; Marine Biological Invasions; Satellite Remote Sensing and many others. Application deadline is Feb. 13.
Scholarships and Fellowships
Scholarship for Student Vets
A Rockwell Collins Scholarship posted on the Student Veterans of America website will seek to award three $2,500 scholarships to student veterans that are interested in pursuing a STEM degree path. In addition to helping student veterans can achieve their goal of earning a college education, the scholarship aims to build a class of candidates that can meet the emerging workforce demands of Rockwell Collins. Apply by March 15.
College of Engineering Scholarships
The College of Engineering scholarship application closes on February 15 at 11:59 pm. Scholarship eligibility varies from year to year. To be eligible you should be an engineering student during the 2015-2016 academic year (fall to spring). Applications can be found at: https://scholarship.ucsadm.oregonstate.edu/prod/app_login.php
Willamette MBA STEM Scholarship
The Willamette MBA STEM Scholarship program is a merit-based scholarship for eligible U.S. citizens or permanent residents who completed an undergraduate major in a STEM area (science technology, engineering and mathematics) in the United States. Applicants who meet the criteria and are selected for this scholarship will receive a scholarship ranging from $23,000 (62% of tuition) to approximately $37,000 (100% of tuition). Apply by February 15.
World Bank Robert S. McNamara Fellowship Program
The World Bank has opened it applicant site for the Robert S. McNamara Fellowship Program. Every year, the program provides grants of up to $25,000 to PhD candidates from developing countries to conduct innovative, development-related, PhD research under the supervision of a research advisor at a host institution abroad. Fellows must commit to return to their home country when their fellowship ends to complete their PhD and to work. Visit the 'How to Apply' page for more information on preparing your application. Apply by Feb. 11.
National Hydropower Association Past Presidents' Legacy
The National Hydropower Association Past Presidents' Legacy Scholarship Program is open to eligible juniors or seniors beginning in the fall; or eligible graduate students at an accredited four-year college or university. Applicants must be pursuing a program of study, approved by the National Hydropower Association, related to the hydropower industry (engineering, biology, fisheries, hydrology, communications, or environmental studies).
Nanoscale Science and Engineering REU
The Vanderbilt Institute for Nanoscale Science and Engineering (VINSE) REU focuses on interdisciplinary nanoscale research at the interface of biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering. More than 40 faculty participants from the School of Engineering, College of Arts and Science, and the School of Medicine inspire students by creating an atmosphere of excitement and creativity. Each REU participate will work directly with VINSE faculty members and their research groups and be part of the larger VINSE community. The program includes a stipend, room and board, and travel allowance. Apply by Feb. 15.
Materials Science Summer REU at Northwestern University
The Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) at Northwestern University offers a 9-week paid summer Research Experience for Undergraduates program. Research areas include ceramics, polymers, nanoparticles, photonics, molecular electronics and biomaterials. The NU-MRSEC stands out in offering students an interdisciplinary research experience. Apply by Feb. 15.
Hydropower Research Funding
The Hydro Research Foundation researches and develops sustaining hydropower improvements. They have published their 2015 topics of interest here. The awards – up to $30,000 -- are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. All applications for the Hydro Research Award Program must be submitted by March 16, with Research Award announcements April 15. Applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
HP-Sponsored Award for Women Accepting Applications
Applications for the NCWIT Collegiate Award are now open! Sponsored by Hewlett-Packard, the NCWIT Collegiate Award honors outstanding junior and senior undergraduate women for their computing and technical accomplishments. Awardees receive $7,500 in a cash award and will be flown to the NCWIT Summit in Hilton Head, South Carolina for the award ceremony! Applications close on Feb. 15.
LSAMP Summer Research Experience for Undergrads at Cornell
Cornell University's Diversity Programs in Engineering is a partner of the Upstate Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (ULSAMP) which formed to attract and maximize the potential of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) students from underrepresented populations, specifically African-American, Latino American and Native American. The application is due by Feb. 15.
Hydro Research Foundation 2015 Awards
The Hydro Research Foundation, under a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), anticipates making one-year awards to 10-15 students for its Hydro Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. Applications are due March 16, for appointments beginning June 2015 for one-year funding.
Job and Internship Opportunities
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Newly posted opportunities are listed first and then in order of closing date:
- Washington River Protection Solutions seeks a Project Controls Engineer Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: Feb. 2 (Beaver Careers
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: Feb. 5 (Beaver Careers ID: 4001)
- Daimler Trucks North America seeks a Intern – Embedded Systems Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: Feb. 8 (Beaver Careers ID: 3797)
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Thermal Fluids Research Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: Feb. 10 (Beaver Careers ID: 3809)
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Mechanical Design Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: Feb. 10 (Beaver Careers ID: 3810)
- Xylem Inc. seeks a Technical Inside Sales Location: Charlotte, NC Job ad expires on: Feb. 10 (Beaver Careers ID: 3815)
- Technical Systems, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer / Programmer Location: Lynnwood, Washington Job ad expires on: Feb. 13 (Beaver Careers ID: 3851)
- NIKE, Inc. seeks a CNC Operator Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: Feb. 16 (Beaver Careers ID: 3884)
- Anjaneyap Global Inc seeks an Entry Level Business Analyst and Quality Analyst Location: Milpitas, California Job ad expires on: Feb. 16 (Beaver Careers ID: 3892)
- Delta Construction Corporation seeks an Engineer I Location: Kapolei, Oahu, Hawaii Job ad expires on: Feb. 17 (Beaver Careers ID: 3924)
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks a Entry Level Engineer/Estimator Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Feb. 19 (Beaver Careers ID: 3334)
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Associate Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Feb. 19 (Beaver Careers ID: 3608)
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Future Leader Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Feb. 19 (Beaver Careers ID: 4090)
- The Brentwood Group, Inc. seeks a Mechanical Engineer -Semiconductor Location: Oregon Job ad expires on: Feb. 20 (Beaver Careers ID: 3946)
- Glosten seeks a Staff Engineer - Marine Engineering Group Location: Seattle, Washington Job ad expires on: Feb. 25 (Beaver Careers ID: 3738)
- Glosten seeks a Staff Engineer - Naval Architecture Group Location: Seattle, Washington Job ad expires on: Feb. 25 (Beaver Careers ID: 3739)
- Glosten seeks a Staff Engineer - Ocean Engineering & Analysis Group Location: Seattle Washington Job ad expires on: Feb. 25 (Beaver Careers ID: 3740)
- Georgia-Pacific LLC seeks an Engineering Internship Location: Clatskanie, OR Job ad expires on: Feb. 27 (Beaver Careers ID: 4191)
- Cascade Products seeks a Sales Engineer Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: Feb. 28 (Beaver Careers ID: 2518)
- Mu Sigma Inc seeks a Junior Associate Location: United States Job ad expires on: Feb. 28 (Beaver Careers ID: 3987)
- Rubicon International seeks a Full-time Opportunities at Rubicon International Location: Portland, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: March 1 (Beaver Careers ID: 3991)
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a Process Tech Development Internship Program for Engineers 2015 (June-Dec) Location: Livingston, CA; Fresno, CA Job ad expires on: March 6 (Beaver Careers ID: 2618)
- Rocky Mountain Nature Association seeks a Conservation Corps Crew Leader Location: Estes Park, CO Job ad expires on: March 13 (Beaver Careers ID: 4133)
- Rocky Mountain Nature Association seeks a Conservation Corps Crew Member Location: Estes Park, CO Job ad expires on: March 14 (Beaver Careers ID: 4134)
- Hampton Affiliates seeks a Mechanical/Electrical Engineering Internship Location: Willamina, Oregon Job ad expires on: March 22 (Beaver Careers ID: 4288)
- Interfor Corporation seeks a Safety, Quality & Production Technicians - Internship Location: Molalla (Oregon), Swainsboro (Georgia), Baxley (Georgia), Preston (Georgia) Job ad expires on: March 24 (Beaver Careers ID: 4327)
- Interfor Corporation seeks a Continuous Improvement Technicians Location: Molalla (Oregon), Swainsboro (Georgia), Baxley (Georgia), Preston (Georgia) Job ad expires on: March 24 (Beaver Careers ID: 4321)
- GEOENGINEERS, INC. seeks a Staff Geologist/Environmental Engineer Location: Redmond, WA Job ad expires on: March 27 (Beaver Careers ID: 4357)
- Glosten seeks a Summer Engineering Internship Location: Seattle Job ad expires on: March 28 (Beaver Careers ID: 4389)
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. seeks a Field Industrial Engineer (Full-time) Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: March 31 (Beaver Careers ID: 4037)
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. seeks a Field Industrial Engineer (Intern) Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: March 31 (Beaver Careers ID: 4038)
- State Farm seeks a Structural Engineering Intern - Strategic Resources Location: Bloomington, Illinois, United States, 61701 Job ad expires on: March 31 (Beaver Careers ID: 4461)
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Engineering Manager (Signal or Structures) - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Job ad expires on: April 22 (Beaver Careers ID: 4328)
- Trillium Technical seeks an Entry-level, hands-on Mechanical Engineer in the automotive industry in southeastern Michigan Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan Job ad expires on: April 24 (Beaver Careers ID: 1998)
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Intern Location: US Job ad expires on: April 30 (Beaver Careers ID: 2792)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Naval Postgraduate School has a position open for a tenure-track faculty in Autonomous Systems with an emphasis on Underwater Vehicles. Candidates should immediately send an application letter, along with curriculum vitae and names of three references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: Garth Hobson | Professor and Chairman | Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering | 700 Dyer Road, Watkins Hall, Room 338 | Naval Postgraduate School | Monterey, CA 93943-5100 USA. Position will remain open until filled.
- Three faculty positions are available at the School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Oklahoma: one tenure-track, assistant professor in aerospace engineering, and two rank-renewable, assistant professor of engineering practice to teach a variety of aerospace and mechanical engineering courses. Apply by Feb. 2 for these positions.
- The Department of Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Management at California State University, Northridge has a new tenure-track position opening in Manufacturing Systems Engineering. Apply by Feb. 6.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Mississippi State University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in the area of computational modeling for integrated thermal, fluid, and structural processes. Apply online (PARF # 8600) by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at SUNY Korea (State University of New York in South Korea) invites applications for one tenure-track faculty position in the area of design and robotics. Apply by Feb. 28.
- NEW -- Imperial College, South Kensington Campus, London, has posted an opening for a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Robotics and Computing (EN20150006SF). Apply by March 4.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.