Ph.D., Systems and Engineering Management, Texas Tech University, 2012
MSc, Business Management, University of Hull, United Kingdom, 2002
BS, Industrial and Systems Engineering, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Toluca, México, 2000
Dr. Javier Calvo-Amodio's research focus is on developing fundamental understanding of how to integrate systems science into industrial and systems engineering research and practice to enable better engineering of continuous process improvement organizational cultures. His research group, Change and Reliable Systems Engineering and Management (CaRSEM), works with Oregon’s industry, state agencies, the National Science Foundation, and other professional societies to determine systemic principles that guide the design, assimilation, and management of the systems engineering process, as well as continuous process improvement approaches such as Lean and Six Sigma.
Javier Calvo-Amodio is an associate professor of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University, where he directs the Change and Reliable Systems Engineering and Management Research Group (CaRSEM). He received his Ph.D. in Systems and Engineering Management from Texas Tech University, his MS in Business Management from the University of Hull in the United Kingdom, and his B.S. in Industrial and Systems Engineering from Tecnológico de Monterrey in Mexico.
He has been at OSU since 2012. He has previously worked at:
- Oregon State University, Assistant Professor, 2012-2018
- Texas Tech University, Graduate Instructor, 2008-2012
- Tecnológico de Monterrey, Morelia, México, Institutional Effectiveness Director, 2005-2007
- Tecnológico de Monterrey, Toluca, México, Industrial and Systems Engineering Program Director, 2004-2005
- Bachoco, Corporate Quality Assurance Chief, SA de CV, 2003
- CAABSA Constructora, Quality Leader, SA de CV, 2001
- Environmental Quality Center, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Toluca, Mexico, Research Assistant, 1997-1998
Service at OSU:
- IME Area Lead
- IME UPC co-chair
- IISE OSU CHapter co-Advisor
- Alpha Pi Mu chapter co-advisor
- Tau Beta Pi Oregon Alpha co-advisor
- Toastmasters – MIME Speaks club co-advisor
Service to profesional societies:
- International Society for Systems Sciences (ISSS):
- VP of Conferences for the
- Board of Directors
- Liaison to the International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE).
- International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE)
- Systems Science Working Group
- Systems Engineering Principles Working Group
- International Federation for Systems Research (IFSR)
- Engineering Management Journal
- Tong, A., Calvo, J., & Haapala, K. R. (2018). Integration of Sustainability Indicators and the Viable System Model Towards a Systemic Sustainability Assessment Methodology. Systems Research and Behavioral Science. https://doi.org/10.1002/sres.2553
- Kittelman, S. M., Calvo, J., & León, H. C. M. (2018, August). A systems analysis of communication: defining the nature of and principles for communication within human activity systems. In Proceedings of the 62nd Annual Meeting of the ISSS-2018 Corvallis, OR, USA (Vol. 1, No. 1).
- Rousseau, D., Billingham, J., & Calvo-Amodio, J. (2018). Systemic Semantics: A Systems Approach to Building Ontologies and Concept Maps. Systems, 6(3), 32.
- Martínez-Leon. H. C., & Calvo-Amodio, J. (2016). Towards lean for sustainability: Understanding the interrelationships between lean and sustainability from a systems thinking perspective. Journal of Cleaner Production. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.11.132
- Calvo-Amodio, J., Patterson, P.E., Smith, M.L., Burns, J.L. (2015) Application of Transition-Phase Management Model for an Electronic Health Record System Implementation: A Case Study. Engineering Management Journal, Vol 27, Issue 3, pp. 131-140 DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10429247.2015.1064662
- Zhang, H., Calvo-Amodio, J., Haapala, K.R. (2015), Establishing Foundational Concepts for Sustainable Manufacturing Systems Assessment through Systems Thinking, International Journal of Strategic Engineering Asset Management, Vol 2, Issue 3, pp. 249-269. DOI: 10.1504/IJSEAM.2015.072124
- Zhang, H., Calvo-Amodio, J., Haapala, K.R. (2013), A Conceptual Model for Assisting Sustainable Manufacturing through System Dynamics, Journal of Manufacturing Systems. Vol. 32, Issue 4, pp. 543- 549 DOI: 10.1016/j.jmsy.2013.05.007 (Top 10 Downloaded Journal of Manufacturing Systems Articles)