Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
May 4, 2015
This Week's Features
3 OSU Winners at ASM Student Competition
Oregon State had three winners at the April 21 Student Presentation Contest hosted by Oregon chapter of the ASM International (American Society for Metals). Congratulations to Hunter Lottsfeldt, who was second in the undergraduate division, and to Connor McCue and Daniel Felman, second and third place, respectively, in the graduate division.
Robotics REU Preps for Second Year
Robotics prepares to kick off its second year running the NSF REU "Robots in the Real World" summer program beginning June 14. The research experience for undergrads program attracted a diverse mix of applicants, with 270 interested students from large and small universities all over country. The program selected 12 student to come to Corvallis to study grasping, robot operating system, multi-agent control, spider webs, soft robotics, and other research topics.
Two-Part Linus C. Pauling Lecture Series Begins Today
The Linus C. Pauling Lecture Series presents "Phase Transitions in Metal-Organic Frameworks," by Dr. Anthony K. Cheetham from the University of Cambridge. The first segment is today, May 4 at 5 pm, followed by Tuesday's segment, also at 5 pm. This is the 17th Linus C. Pauling Lecture Series held since 1987 by the Department of Chemistry at Oregon State University. Refreshments will be served.
Part I: Cheetham Lecture | DATE: Mon., May 4 | TIME: 5-6 pm | PLACE: Gilfillan Auditorium
Part II: Cheetham Lecture | DATE: Tues., May 5 | TIME: 5-6 pm | PLACE: LaSells Stewart Center: Construction & Engineering Hall
Fascination with Fluids and Flows, 26th Annual Yunker Physics Lecture
Dr. Howard Stone, Princeton University, will present, "Fascination with Fluids and Flows," today as part of the Yunker Lecture series offered by OSU Dept. of Physics. Stone will illustrate (i) the effect of fluid motion on biofilms, (ii) new observations on the impact of flow on the motility of bacteria on surfaces, and (iii) surprising features of flow in a T-junction.
Yunker Lecture series | DATE: Mon., May 4 | TIME: 5 pm | 151 Weniger Hall
Mark Your Calendar
Biomedical Sciences Panel Event
Come join us for a great networking event! You will have the opportunity to hear from industry representatives and ask questions as well as see what research is being conducted around campus. If you are interested in presenting a research poster, please sign up online. The group also asks for an online RSVP to attend the event.
DATE: Tuesday, May 5 | TIME: 5-7 pm | PLACE: MU Horizon Room
OSU Graduate School Info Session
Is an advanced degree the right choice for you? The OSU Graduate School will present an information session on Graduate Education on Tuesday, May 19 at 5:30PM in the Lonnie B. Harris Black Cultural Resource Center. Learn about the benefits of a graduate degree, and other topics, including how to pay for graduate programs.
DATE: Tuesday, May 19 | TIME: 5.30 pm | PLACE: Lonnie B. Harris Black Cultural Resource Center
Boeing Day is May 14
Boeing will host a “Boeing Day” on campus May 14, with several sessions in the College of Engineering and College of Business. Please join in for:
Boeing Resume Workshop (10-11 am)
Thursday, May 14, in KEC 1007
Boeing Information Session (5-6:30 pm)
Thursday, May 14, in Dearborn 118; refreshments will be provided.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Engineering Student Officers: Candidacy and Elections, May 5-6
The College of Engineering has formed an Engineering Student Council, and is holding elections for an inaugural board of student officers to serve for the 2015/2016 academic year. The deadline to submit your candidacy for ESC officer positions is Tues., May 5 (tomorrow) at 11:59 pm. Those running will be compiled into an overview packet for review by current student organization representatives prior to and at the elections at the May 6 ESC meeting (4 pm in Furman 105). Anyone not submitting by tomorrow’s due date is still eligible to run off the floor at the meeting.
MIME Research on “Intuitive Use”
The School of MIME is conducting research on the terms “intuitive use”. The research team is seeking participants who are at least 18 years old to complete a survey. The purpose of this study is to better understand how users and designers define the word intuitive with regards to products and interfaces. "This product is intuitive to use". What does that really mean? This study hopes to better understand the meaning behind the terms “intuitive use” to help designers produce better products and interfaces. Participation in this study involves a time commitment of about 10 minutes with the completion of an online survey.
Join ASME’s “Eco Marathon” Energy-Efficient Vehicle Project
If you are interested in joining the Electric Shell Eco Marathon team through ASME please attend the ASME weekly meetings Tuesdays at 5:00 PM in Rogers 230. Shell's Eco-marathon challenges student teams from around the world to design, build and test ultra energy-efficient vehicles. With annual competitive rounds in the Americas, then Europe and Asia, the winners are the teams that go the furthest using the least amount of energy. If you cannot attend this meeting and are interested in participating, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DATE: Tuesdays | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: Rogers 230
ASHRAE Student Organization Informational Meeting
Are you looking for a way to get involved and learn more about efficient energy systems? Come hear about the Oregon State University's new ASHRAE student group. Learn about upcoming opportunities to go on tours of high efficiency establishments, get in touch with the people leading the nation towards more innovative and sustainable buildings, attend seminars to expand your own knowledge, potential for new energy system projects, and much more. For more information contact Brian.Fronk@oregonstate.edu
DATE: Wed., May 6 | TIME: 12 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Life after OSU Engineering -- A Male and Female Perspective
Join COE graduates Lindsay and John Yoder as they discuss their post-OSU life. Both are successful engineers in the pharmaceutical industry. They will discuss work/life balance: how they manage high-powered careers and very active personal lives. Come join us and hear about the realities of an engineering career from both the male and female perspective. An RSVP is required.
Lunch with The Yoders | DATE: Fri., May 8 | TIME: 12 pm | PLACE: 212 Kearney Hall
RSVP Online for the MIME Graduation Ceremony
Help us get ready for the June 2015 MIME commencement ceremony, and let us know if you, your friends, and family plan to attend the ceremony and garden reception that follows. Please complete survey even if you cannot attend. As well, here is a reminder that you should schedule your senior pictures. There’s limited times and days available at this stage, so please sign up now. (Grad student, you can also use this link to schedule a time for your portrait to add to the online Graduate Student Directory.) Senior Pictures Location is Rogers Hall 238, Advising Office. Please be sure to get your information submitted by Friday, May 22.
MPRL Opening Hours – Week Six, Spring Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8 – 10 am, 12 – 1pm, 3 – 5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Wednesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Friday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Saturday – 9 am – 5 pm
Student Volunteers for Undergrad Engineering Expo
The 2015 Undergraduate Engineering Expo is getting closer. The College of Engineering is looking for students who want to help out with this huge, crowd-drawing event. We need volunteers to set up on May 14 and to work the event on May 15. Everyone who volunteers for two or more hours receives a free t-shirt. Sign up today at the OSU Engineering Expo 2015 site.
Scholarships and Fellowships
Minority Transportation Scholarship
The Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO) offers a variety of scholarships ranging from $2,500 to $7,500 to deserving students nationwide. Selections are made annually by a team of industry professionals and representatives from the academic community. The National Scholarship Program supports the mission of COMTO by promoting, strengthening and expanding the roles of minorities in all aspects of transportation. Applications should be postmarked by May 8.
Job and Internship Opportunities
MIME Student Researcher Position performing time studies at a high product mix facility. Data collection will be conducted during week days over a span of 4 weeks in June/July. Review OSU job posting 0014635 for full application details. The deadline is May 15 for full consideration.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Public Utilities Commission of Nevada seeks a Senior Engineering (Water) Analyst Location: Las Vegas or Carson City Beaver Careers ID: 5328 Job ad expires on: 5/8/2015
- Hewlett Packard seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Corvallis, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 5116 Job ad expires on: 5/10/2015
- Casper, Phillips & Associates seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: Tacoma Beaver Careers ID: 5202 Job ad expires on: 5/15/2015
- Northwest Staffing Resources seeks an Engineer Technician, Temporary Location: Vancouver, WA Beaver Careers ID: 5592 Job ad expires on: 5/15/2015
- Modo Inc. seeks a Design Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5268 Job ad expires on: 5/18/2015
- O-I seeks a Maintenance Mechanic Location: Portland, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5338 Job ad expires on: 5/24/2015
- Beta Soft Systems Inc. seeks a Quality Assurance/Software tester analyst Location: Oregon, California, Washington Beaver Careers ID: 5370 Job ad expires on: 5/25/2015
- Express Employment Professionals seeks an Automation Specialist Location: Bend, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 5429 Job ad expires on: 5/29/2015
- Nordstrom seeks a Software Engineer 1 Location: Seattle, WA Beaver Careers ID: 5437 Job ad expires on: 5/29/2015
- Translations.com seeks a Localization Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5450 Job ad expires on: 5/30/2015
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Beaver Careers ID: 5962 Job ad expires on: 5/30/2015
- BNSF Railway seeks an Engineering Management Trainee Location: Systemwide, US Beaver Careers ID: 2942 Job ad expires on: 5/31/2015
- Biotronik/Micro Systems Engineering seeks an Intern Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon United States Beaver Careers ID: 5940 Job ad expires on: 5/31/2015
- SYSTEMA USA Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) Software Engineer Location: Bend, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5503 Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Beaver Careers ID: 4552 Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015
- Thermogen Technologies, Inc. seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4799 Job ad expires on: 6/6/2015
- CenturyLink seeks a Talent Acquisition Sourcer Location: Monroe, LA Beaver Careers ID: 5547 Job ad expires on: 6/9/2015
- Alliance Window Company seeks an Engineer Location: Aurora, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5111 Job ad expires on: 6/12/2015
- Selectemp Employment Services seeks a CNC Machinist Location: Lebanon, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5730 Job ad expires on: 6/16/2015
- Ever Fresh Fruit Company seeks a Data Systems Development Location: Boring, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 5813 Job ad expires on: 6/20/2015
- ZipRealty seeks a Front End Engineer Location: Emeryville, California Beaver Careers ID: 5803 Job ad expires on: 6/20/2015
- ZipRealty seeks a Front End Engineer Location: Emeryville, California Beaver Careers ID: 5804 Job ad expires on: 6/20/2015
- Oracle Corporation seeks an ORACLE-Manufacturing Process Engineer/WWOPS Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 5817 Job ad expires on: 6/21/2015
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Operations Mechanical Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5824 Job ad expires on: 6/21/2015
- Franklin Electric seeks a Manufacturing Engineer I Location: Wilburton, OK Beaver Careers ID: 5850 Job ad expires on: 6/22/2015
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Mechanical Design Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Beaver Careers ID: 5871 Job ad expires on: 6/23/2015
- Dome Construction Corporation seeks a Project Engineer Location: South San Francisco Beaver Careers ID: 1657 Job ad expires on: 6/24/2015
- Trillium Technical seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan Beaver Careers ID: 5884 Job ad expires on: 6/26/2015
- Precision Measurements and Instruments Corporation (PMIC) seeks a Project Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Beaver Careers ID: 5517 Job ad expires on: 6/30/2015
- Sapa Extrusions North America seeks an Application Engineer Location: Portland, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4902 Job ad expires on: 7/6/2015
- Traylor Bros., Inc. seeks an Engineering Intern - Fall 2015 Location: Los Angeles, CA Beaver Careers ID: 5791 Job ad expires on: 7/31/2015
- ProIT Inc. seeks a BigData Analyst Location: Across US Beaver Careers ID: 4031 Job ad expires on: 7/31/2015
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.