Personal Research Site: http://www.onandemirel.com/
Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, Purdue University, 2015
MS, Industrial Engineering, Purdue University, 2009
BS, Industrial Engineering, Purdue University, 2006
Dr. Demirel’s research interests lie at the intersection of human factors engineering, engineering design, and complex systems. His work includes human-in-the-loop design theory and practices for automotive, aviation, and consumer goods focusing on the development of design methodologies to incorporate human factors engineering principles early in the design process with the complex systems approach.
Onan Demirel is an assistant professor of mechanical engineering at Oregon State University. He received his Ph.D., MS, and BS degrees from Purdue University. His research focuses on understanding human element in the design process, making advances in Digital Human Modeling (DHM) theory and practice, and developing multi-disciplinary design theory and methods to explore inter-dependencies and co-evolution of the human element in engineering systems. Dr. Demirel’s work engages in human subject data collection and virtual simulations and applies mechanical engineering design methods with industrial design techniques to include human needs, abilities, and limitations early in the design process.
He has been at Oregon State since 2016.
- Demirel, H. O., & Duffy, V. G. (2017). Incorporating Tactile Cues into Human‐Centered Virtual Product Design. Human Factors and Ergonomics in Manufacturing & Service Industries, 27 (1), 5-16.
- Demirel, H. O., Zhang, L., & Duffy, V. G. (2016). Opportunities for meeting sustainability objectives. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, 51 , 73-81.
- Demirel, H. O., & Duffy, V. G. (2016). Building quality into design process through digital human modelling. International Journal of the Digital Human, 1 (2), 153-168.
- Demirel, H. O., & Duffy, V. G. (2013). A sustainable human centered design framework based on human factors. In International Conference on Digital Human Modeling and Applications in Health, Safety, Ergonomics and Risk Management , pp. 307-315.
- Demirel, H. O., & Duffy, V. G. (2009). Impact of force feedback on computer aided ergonomic analyses. In International Conference on Digital Human Modeling, pp. 608-613.
- Demirel, H. O., & Duffy, V. G. (2007). Applications of digital human modeling in industry. In International Conference on Digital Human Modeling, pp. 824-832.