- Ph.D. Materials Science, University of Southern California, 2007
- M.S. Materials Science, University of Southern California, 2004
- B.Eng. Metallurgy & Materials Science, Osaka Prefecture University, 2002
Dr. Kawasaki's research interests lie in the area of the synthesis and characterizing unique properties of hybrid ultrafine-grained metals and nanocomposites processed by severe plastic deformation (SPD). Her work includes processing of metals and alloys through the application of SPD techniques and characterize the (bulk and micro) mechanical properties at both ambient and high temperature ranges.
Megumi Kawasaki is an Associate Professor of Materials Science at Oregon State University. Previously, she was an Associate Professor at Hanyang University, Seoul, South Korea, where she joined the faculty as an Assistant Professor in 2012. She also held an Adjunct Research Associate Professor in Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering at USC (2012-2017) and a Visiting Researcher position in Materials Science at the Osaka Prefecture University (2013-present).
She has received an Early Career Award from the Korean Institute of Metals and Materials in April 2016, and received a NanoSPD Young Researcher Award at the 7th International Conference on Nanomaterials by Severe Plastic Deformation (NanoSPD7) in July 2017.
(For a list of publications and citations: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-1872-2010)
- M. Kawasaki, B. Ahn, P. Kumar, J.-i. Jang, T.G. Langdon, "Nano- and Micro-mechanical properties of ultrafine-grained materials processed by severe plastic deformation techniques", Advanced Engineering Materials 19 (2017) 1600578 (1-17)
- M. Kawasaki, T.G. Langdon, "Review: achieving superplastic properties in ultrafine-grained materials at high temperatures", Journal of Materials Science 51 (2016) 19-32
- D.-H. Lee, M.-Y. Seok, Y. Zhao, I.-C. Choi, J. He, Z. Lu, J.-Y. Suh, U. Ramamurty, M. Kawasaki, T.G. Langdon, J.-i Jang, "Spherical nanoindentation creep behavior of nanocrystalline and coarse-grained CoCrFeMnNi high-entropy alloys", Acta Materialia 109 (2016) 314-322
- B. Ahn, A.P. Zhilyaev, H.-J. Lee, M. Kawasaki, T.G. Langdon, "Rapid synthesis of an extra hard metal matrix nanocomposite at ambient temperature", Materials Science and Engineering A 635 (2015) 109-117
- M. Kawasaki, “Different models of hardness evolution in ultrafine-grained materials processed by high-pressure torsion”, Journal of Materials Science 49 (2014) 18-34