Development of safe, high performance human-machine systems. System/function/task analysis, function allocation, design, mockups and rapid prototyping, human factors test and evaluation. Critical examination of the human-factors and domain-specific literature to identify human factors problems, and knowledge and methods to address those problems.
The student, upon completion of this course, will be able to:
- Clearly describe the human-machine systems engineering process.
- Develop and manage requirements for a human-machine system, based upon a Statement of Need, analyses, and human factors principles and guidelines.
- Analyze the system, processes, and tasks to understand the system and write formal requirements.
- Design processes, workstations, human-machine interfaces, and procedures to meet requirements.
- Implement models, mockups, or prototypes according to design specifications.
- Evaluate models, mockups, or prototypes with respect to the requirements and general human factors considerations.