MIME in the News | Mark Your Calendar | Announcements | Jobs and Internships | Scholarships and Fellowships | Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
Mark Your Calendar
- Ergonomics Talk: Working Safely—Opportunities & Challenges
The OSU Student Chapter of Human Factors and Ergonomics Society hosts Lynda Enos (RN, MS, COHN-S, CPE), an ergonomics consultant at HumanFit, LLC. She has accumulated a vast amount of experience over her 30-year career working as an ergonomics consultant. Lynda has spent her career searching for methods to improve the long-term health of workers in all disciplines, including researchers, teachers, students, nurses, and farmers. Free pizza and beverages.
Nov. 7 | 4 - 4:50 p.m. | Rogers Hall, Room 237
- PechaKucha Night 2017
Learn about MIME student organizations through their creative and informative PechaKucha presentations. This event is designed to elevate student leadership and showcase student groups. More information and RSVP. Pizza and refreshments will be served.
Nov. 13 | 6 p.m. | Kelley Engineering Center, Room 1003
- Undergraduate Research Opportunities in MIME Information Session
All MIME students are invited to attend an information session about undergraduate research opportunities in MIME. Hear about the top five reasons to get involved in undergraduate research, examples of past undergraduate research projects, as well as news and future directions of research in our school. In addition, a new initiative to provide funding for both students and faculty advisors in undergraduate research projects will be announced. This is an excellent way to learn about faculty members' research and get involved in projects. For honors students, this could be the basis for an HC thesis. Even if you don’t yet feel ready to begin research or are not sure about your interests, attending this event will help you to explore opportunities and make connections. RSVP.
Nov. 15 | 6 p.m. | LINC, Room 302
- Winter term Pro-School application is now open at: http://engineering.oregonstate.edu/pro-school. Applications are due by 11:55pm on Nov. 30. For questions please refer to the Pro-School webpage or contact the Office of Student Services by calling 541-737-5236 or stopping by their office in Johnson Hall.
- Registration is now open for the 2018 Graduate Research Showcase taking place on Feb. 8. The Graduate Research Showcase is a daylong opportunity for you to advance your professional knowledge and skills, network with industry partners, and share your research with industry, faculty, peers, and the community. We are also pleased to welcome Jorge Cham , who will be giving the keynote at a luncheon exclusively for College of Engineering graduate students who present a poster and/or attend the career panel. Please read the schedule and details regarding the Graduate Research Showcase, and learn what last year’s graduate students had to say about the event. Space is limited to 200 students and registration will close Nov. 20, so do not procrastinate in securing your spot!
Job and Internship Opportunities
The U.S. Army Research Laboratory’s (ARL) Research Associateship Program (RAP) has Summer Journeyman Fellowships available for undergraduate-PhD students. Over the 2018 summer, students can participate in research at one of the Army Research Lab facilities in Aberdeen, MD, Adelphi, MD, or White Sands, NM in one of five research areas: Computational & Information Sciences (May consider international students pursuing STEM degrees at U.S. institutions), Human Research & Engineering (May consider international students pursuing STEM degrees at U.S. institutions), Sensors & Electron Devices (May consider international students pursuing STEM degrees at U.S. institutions), Vehicle Technology (U.S. Citizens ONLY), and Weapons & Materials (U.S. Citizens ONLY).
- The Dynamics Robotics Laboratory is looking for a few undergraduates to support ongoing improvements to Cassie, OSU's famous bipedal walking robot. This is a great opportunity to bolster your resume and gain robotics experience directly applicable to your future career. If you are ambitious, creative, and always dreamed of building robots, send your resume to Jesse Rond (email@example.com). Positions are limited. All grade levels are welcome (including freshmen). Desired skill sets include design, automation, SolidWorks MATLAB, and controls. For more information, visit mime.oregonstate.edu/research/drl/
- M.Sc. and Ph.D. Positions In Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering at University of Idaho, Idaho Falls Campus. More information. Deadline is Dec. 31, 2017.
For more job listings, sign up for Handshake at http://career.oregonstate.edu/handshake.
Scholarships and Fellowships
- The WAVE Fellows program provides support for talented undergraduates intent on pursuing a Ph.D. to conduct a 10-week summer research project at Caltech. The program aims to foster diversity by increasing the participation of underrepresented students in science and engineering Ph.D. programs. The program is extended, but not limited, to underrepresented minorities, women, first-generation college students, geographically underrepresented students, educationally or financially disadvantaged students, and students with disabilities. For more information, visit http://www.sfp.caltech.edu/programs/wavefellows.
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The School of Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University will conduct searches for three outstanding tenured/tenure-track hires. These will be in the areas of Advanced Manufacturing, Design, and Robotics with position start dates in Fall 2018. More information can be found here.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Seattle University invites applications for two full-time, renewable, multi-year, non-tenure-track Instructor positions to begin September 2018. Candidates with experience in the fields of materials science, machine design, control systems, or machine learning are encouraged to apply. Candidates with experience teaching hybrid or online classes are highly desirable. https://www.seattleu.edu/careers/
- South Dakota State University (Brookings, SD) seeks Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering applications for a tenure-track teaching and research position. Start date: August 22, 2018. For a full listing of the responsibilities and qualifications, and to apply, visit https://YourFuture.sdbor.edu
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (an undergraduate teaching-focused engineering school) is searching for 3 tenure-track faculty and one visiting faculty member for our Mechanical Engineering Department. https://jobs.rose‐hulman.edu.
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.