Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
May 26, 2015
This Week's Features
Global Formula Racing Takes Second at Nationals
Global Formula Racing was second overall at FSAE Michigan 2015, competing against more than 100 teams in the annual national face-off of SAE student formula racing teams. GFR finished first in the endurance, autocross and fuel efficiency categories, but these top efforts in five of the eight competitive categories were not enough to surpass Austria’s team from Graz Technical University. Congrats to our hard-working SAE students for another year among the best!
Corrected: We reported in May 2015 based on "unofficial results." A lenthy review and appeal process followed the race due to a technical penalty assigned to the Austrian team on the track — but not calculated into the final score. With the correction to the scoring error, Graz Technical University lost its top ranking, and GFR moved into the no. 1 position. We salute all the students who make this competition so exciting every year.
Atlantis Study Abroad Opportunity
Freshmen, sophomores and juniors! If you are interested in study abroad opportunities in mechanical engineering, come investigate a unique program just for ME students. It is the Atlantis Dual-degree Bachelors Program. In this program, qualified OSU ME students can travel to Germany for an entire year of engineering classes. At the end of this program, successful students will earn a BS in Mechanical Engineering from OSU and a BS in Materials Science from the University of Saarlandes in Germany. It's a fantastic opportunity to study abroad while continuing to work on your engineering coursework, and a chance to develop your German language skills. The cost of going abroad for the year is only about $2,000 more than the cost of staying at OSU for the year, so it's more affordable than you may think. The next cohort of students will be leaving spring or summer term 2016. We have space available for new students, but we need to get you involved as soon as possible.
1) Information Session: Drop-in session for interested students. Feel free to come by and meet with the Atlantis faculty, pick up flyers and application information, get your questions answered, and possibly meet some of the students who have participated in the program.
DATE: Thurs., May 28 | TIME: Anytime between 12-4 pm | PLACE: Dearborn 303
2) Check out our online information at the ATLANTIS website: http://matsci.oregonstate.edu/atlantis/
3) Contact the program director Prof. Bill Warnes (Check the office hours information online)
Mark Your Calendar
Patent Prosecution & Litigation: What Engineers Need to Know
Dr. Cari Arnold, a patent agent for Shook, Hardy & Bacon will present a seminar, "Patent Prosecution & Litigation: What Engineers Need to Know" on the basics and more of patent litigation. Whether on the offense or defense, engineers may find themselves on the front lines of a patent litigation. The actions of engineers -- beginning before even the filing of a patent application -- can have a direct effect on the determination of patent infringement or even a patent’s validity.
Patent Prosecution & Litigation | DATE: Wed., May 27, 1 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
MatSci Seminar with Dr. Jinichiro Nakano
Dr. Jinichiro Nakano will present "Thermodynamic phase stability in gasification carbon feedstock slags influenced by vanadium oxide," for this week's Materials Science seminar. Dr. Nakano is from the National Energy Technology Laboratory in Albany, Ore.
Materials Science seminar | DATE: Thurs., May 28, TIME: 3 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Frisbee and Pizza Picnic, Friday with ASME
OSU student chapter of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) is holding a frisbee and pizza picnic this Friday. Come out and play, and learn more about a great group of student engineers. Eat some pizza, have a little fun, and learn how ASME is an easy and excellent way to improve your resume and to join a valuable network. If frisbee isn't your favorite sport come anyway, you don't have to play to have fun.
DATE: Fri., May 29 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: Fields at Campus Way & 14th St.
MBI Noon Seminar Series: VadientOptics
VadientOptics, an MBI tenant company that fabricates freeform gradient index nanocomposite optical elements, will present “Printing High Quality Optics” on Friday, May 29 as part of MBI’s noon seminar series. VadientOptics, a Voxtel company, has developed materials and processes under DARPA and NASA research contracts to develop the volumetric index of refraction gradient optics (VIRGO) process, using nanoparticles in polymers to print optics. This has involved the development of materials, equipment, and algorithms that produce a final, useful product; an overview of this research will be presented.
Printing High Quality Optics | DATE: Fri., May 29 | TIME: 12 pm | PLACE: MBI, HP Corvallis Campus (Directions to MBI)
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Wed, June 3
MIME Graduate Defense: "Automated Synthesis of Planar Mechanisms with Revolute, Prismatic and Pin-In-Slot Joints," by Weifeng Huang, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 2 PM, KEAR 202
Wed, June 3
MIME Graduate Defense: "Non-Isotropic Fiber Reinforced Elastic Membranes for Micro Air Vehicle Wings," by Josh Wilcox, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 1 PM, KEC 1114
Thurs, June 4
MIME Graduate Defense: "Development and Applications of Oxide Thin Films using Atomic Layer Deposition and Prompt Inorganic Condensation," by Sean Weston Smith, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy in Materials Science, 8:30 AM, Kelley 1007
Thurs, June 4
MIME Graduate Defense: “Vertical Axis Pendulum Wave Energy Converters: Investigating Control Strategies and the Deployment of a Scaled Generic Prototype,” by Blake Boren, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, 11:15 AM, KEC 1007
Thurs, June 4
MIME Graduate Defense: “Predicting Aerodynamic Loads on Highly Flexible Membrane Wings," by Trenton Carpenter, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy, 3 PM, Kelley 4107
Fri, June 5
MIME Graduate Defense: "Photonic Sintering of Nanoparticle Inks: Experimental Characterization, Computational Modeling and System Design for Additive Manufacturing, "by Will MacNeill, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 3:00 PM, Rogers 226
Fri, June 5
MIME Graduate Defense: "Electronic Properties of Passive Films on Carbon Steel Rebar in Simulated Concrete Pore Solutions," by Jon Williamson, candidate for Master of Science in Materials Science, 2:30 PM, Kearney 111C
MPRL Opening Hours – Week Nine, Spring Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – closed | Tuesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Wednesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Friday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Saturday – 9 am – 5 pm
Scholarships and Fellowships
Minority Transportation Scholarship
The Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO) offers a variety of scholarships ranging from $2,500 to $7,500 to deserving students nationwide. Selections are made annually by a team of industry professionals and representatives from the academic community. The National Scholarship Program supports the mission of COMTO by promoting, strengthening and expanding the roles of minorities in all aspects of transportation. Applications should be postmarked by May 8.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Schmitt Industries in Portland has an opening beginning July 2015 for an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer; apply by July 19. Beaver Careers ID: 6228
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- RBD Instruments, Inc. seeks an Electronics Support Engineer Location: Bend, OR Job ad expires on: 5/26/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5409
- Silicon Valley Bank seeks an Associate Development Program - July 2015/ January 2016 Location: Boston, MA or Palo Alto, CA Job ad expires on: 5/26/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5414
- Translations.com seeks a Localization Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 5/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5450
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 5/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5962
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services Management Trainee 2015 Location: Fort Worth, Texas Job ad expires on: 5/31/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 2945
- BNSF Railway seeks an Engineering Management Trainee 2015 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 5/31/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 2942
- Biotronik/Micro Systems Engineering seeks an Internship 2015 Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 5/31/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5940
- AirClean Technologies, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6036
- Unum seeks a Client Manager Associate Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5487
- SYSTEMA USA Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) Software Engineer Location: Bend, OR Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5503
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 4552
- AirClean Technologies, Inc. seeks a Mech. Engineering Internship Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 6/5/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6015
- Diamond Foods Kettle Brand seeks a Maintenance Manager Location: Salem, OR Job ad expires on: 6/6/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5581
- Alliance Window Company seeks an Engineer Location: Aurora, OR Job ad expires on: 6/12/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5111
- Alliance Window Company seeks a Project Management Trainee Location: Aurora, OR Job ad expires on: 6/12/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5113
- Selectemp Employment Services seeks a CNC Machinist Location: Lebanon, OR Job ad expires on: 6/16/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5730
- Translations.com seeks a Project Coordinator Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 6/19/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5742
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Process Engineer/WWOPS Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 6/21/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5817
- Oracle Corporation seeks na Inventory Services and Control - Business Analyst Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 6/21/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5818
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Operations Mechanical Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 6/21/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5824
- Anjaneyap Global Inc seeks an Entry Level Business Analyst and Quality Analyst Location: Milpitas, California Job ad expires on: 6/22/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5843
- Franklin Electric seeks a Manufacturing Engineer I Location: Wilburton, OK Job ad expires on: 6/22/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5850
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Mechanical Design Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: 6/23/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5871
- Dome Construction Corporation seeks a Project Engineer Location: South San Francisco Job ad expires on: 6/24/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 1657
- Trillium Technical seeks an Entry-level, hands-on Mechanical Engineer Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan Job ad expires on: 6/26/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5884
- Precision Measurements and Instruments Corporation (PMIC) seeks a Project Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 6/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5517
- Delta Construction Corporation seeks an Engineer I Location: Kapolei, Oahu, Hawaii Job ad expires on: 6/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 3924
- O-I seeks a Finished Products Shift Supervisor Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 7/5/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6018
- O-I seeks a Maintenance Mechanic Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 7/5/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6019
- AmeriTies West, LLC seeks a Process Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 7/6/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6051
- Littau Harvester seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Stayton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 7/6/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6054
- Sapa Extrusions North America seeks an Application Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 7/6/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 4902
- Sierra Pacific Industries seeks an Energy Contract Administrator Location: Anderson, CA Job ad expires on: 7/9/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6069
- Goken America seeks an Automotive Test Engineer Location: Columbus, OH Job ad expires on: 7/12/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6121
- Vanguard seeks a Client Relationship Specialist Location: Scottsdale, AZ Job ad expires on: 7/15/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 3647
- Selmet, Inc seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Location: Albany, Oregon Job ad expires on: 7/17/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6179
- Traylor Bros., Inc. seeks an Engineering Intern - Fall 2015 Location: Los Angeles, CA Job ad expires on: 7/31/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5791
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The Johns Hopkins University Whiting School of Engineering (WSE) and the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) invite applications for the position of Bloomberg Distinguished Professor. Preference will be given to applicants at the tenured full professor level, but exceptionally qualified candidates at other ranks will be considered. Apply by May 31.
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE) at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York (SUNY) seeks to fill a Teaching Assistant Professor position. The majority of instruction will involve a newly formed course covering introductory MATLAB. Apply by June 1.
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.