Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
May 18, 2015
This Week's Features
COE Undergrad Engineering Expo
More than 200 student projects from across College of Engineering were on display Friday at Kelley Engineering Center for the 16th annual Undergraduate Engineering Expo. School of MIME Project 86.3 “OSU Rocketry: Payload and Electronics” earned special recognition from Boeing. The group was runner-up for the Boeing Engineering Excellence Award. First-place winners, School of EECS students Amber Hartman, Benjamin Narim, and Kai Ovesen won top honors with “Electrooculography (EOG) Emergency Stop.” The project was sponsored by MIME Robotics Associate Professor Bill Smart.
The Boeing Engineering Excellence Award looked for project teams that delivered robust, innovative solutions with a clear focus on enabling potential customers to excel in their markets and missions. The teams were expected to demonstrate that their projects meet the highest technical and quality standards, and that in developing their project the team members exhibited the highest standards of safety, honesty, integrity, and environmental stewardship.
The People’s Choice winner, voted on by the public attendees of the event selected "Eye Gaze Direction Detector,” from Sultan Alyamani, Trevor Fiez, and George Vartanov (all EECS students again). Dr. Smart sponsored this project as well.
Mark Your Calendar
Engineering and Management, What You Should Know about the Job Path
What is Engineering Management? Why should you -- a soon-to-be engineer -- know anything about management? Research shows that for most engineers at about three to five years into a career track, they will come to a point where they have to decide between a managerial and a technical route. Join us in this School of MIME workshop to find out more about engineering management, what it means to be an engineering manager, and the job prospects for an engineering manager.
Masters in Engineering Management: Info Session | DATE: Tues., May 19 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: Batcheller 144
MIME Seminar Series
Brad Kinsey, Professor and Chair of the Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of New Hampshire will present "Analytical, Numerical, and Experimental Investigations of Electromagnetic Forming and Impact Welding" as part of the MIME Seminar series. Dr. Kinsey will discuss electromagnetic forming (EMF) as an innovative means to deform conductive materials at high deformation rates. Research related to analytical modeling, numerical simulations, and experimental investigations of EMF and impact welding processes will be discussed.
MIME Seminar Series | DATE: Fri.., May 22 | TIME: 11 am | PLACE: Rogers 226
Mentor Graphics Recruiting Session
The OSU-School of EECS IEEE student chapter is hosting a recruiting session with Mentor Graphics. The Wilson, Ore.-based company seeks to fill several positions, including a Corporate Marketing Engineer. Come to the lunchtime session; pizza will be served.
IEEE Recruiting Session | DATE: Thurs., May 21 | TIME: 12 pm | PLACE: KEC 1005
Frisbee Social with IIE and SME
IIE is holding a Frisbee event this Wednesday. Come out and play with students from your class. It is also a great opportunity to get to know other IE and MFGE students in a setting away from the classroom. If Frisbee isn't your favorite sport come anyway, you don't have to play to have fun.
DATE: Wed., May 20 | TIME: 5:00-6:30 pm (come as you can) | PLACE: Fields at Jefferson & 14th St.
MBI Noon Seminar Series: VadientOptics
VadientOptics, an MBI tenant company that fabricates freeform gradient index nanocomposite optical elements, will present “Printing High Quality Optics” on Friday, May 29 as part of MBI’s noon seminar series. VadientOptics, a Voxtel company, has developed materials and processes under DARPA and NASA research contracts to develop the volumetric index of refraction gradient optics (VIRGO) process, using nanoparticles in polymers to print optics. This has involved the development of materials, equipment, and algorithms that produce a final, useful product; an overview of this research will be presented.
Printing High Quality Optics | DATE: Fri., May 29 | TIME: 12 pm | PLACE: MBI, HP Corvallis Campus
(Directions to MBI)
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Tues, June 2
MIME Graduate Defense: "Fiber Reinforced Composite Power-Mooring Cables Design and Manufacturing applied to Wave Energy Converters," by Andrew Miller, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 2 PM, Kelley 1114.
Tues, June 2
MIME Graduate Defense: "Modeling Implantable Passive Mechanisms for Modifying the Transmission of Forces and Movements between Muscle and Tendons," by Taymaz Homayouni, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 10 AM, Rogers 226.
RSVP Online for the MIME Graduation Ceremony
Help us get ready for the June 2015 MIME commencement ceremony, and let us know if you, your friends, and family plan to attend the ceremony and garden reception that follows. Please complete survey even if you cannot attend. Please be sure to get your information submitted by Friday, May 22.
MPRL Opening Hours – Week Eight, Spring Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8 – 10 am, 12 – 1pm, 3 – 5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Wednesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Friday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Saturday – 9 am – 5 pm
Web Usability Survey
Students in CS 352 – Introduction to Usability Engineering are seeking your input for a class project. They are learning the basic principles of usability engineering methods for the design and evaluation of software systems, including the study of human-machine interactions, user interface characteristics and design strategies, software evaluation methods, and related guidelines and standards. As a class project, they are testing the usability of the College of Engineering website. If you use this website, please complete a brief survey at http://web.engr.oregonstate.edu/~gopinath/coe/survey.php. Your input will provide CS 352 students with real-users data and help inform ongoing efforts in the maintenance and development of the College of Engineering website.
Scholarships and Fellowships
Minority Transportation Scholarship
The Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO) offers a variety of scholarships ranging from $2,500 to $7,500 to deserving students nationwide. Selections are made annually by a team of industry professionals and representatives from the academic community. The National Scholarship Program supports the mission of COMTO by promoting, strengthening and expanding the roles of minorities in all aspects of transportation. Applications should be postmarked by May 8.
Job and Internship Opportunities
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Benton Habitat for Humanity seeks an AmeriCorps Construction Crew Leader Location: Benton Habitat for Humanity Job ad expires on: 5/18/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5260
- Modo Inc. seeks a Design Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 5/18/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5268
- Williams-Sonoma Inc. - Global Supply Chain seeks an Engineering Summer Internship Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/22/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6058
- Beta Soft Systems Inc. seeks a Quality Assurance/Software tester analyst Location: Oregon, California,washington Job ad expires on: 5/25/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5370
- RBD Instruments, Inc. seeks an Electronics Support Engineer Location: Bend, OR Job ad expires on: 5/26/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5409
- Silicon Valley Bank seeks an Associate Development Program - July 2015/ January 2016 Location: Boston, MA or Palo Alto, CA Job ad expires on: 5/26/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5414
- Translations.com seeks a Localization Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 5/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5450
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 5/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5962
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services Management Trainee 2015 Location: Fort Worth, Texas Job ad expires on: 5/31/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 2945
- BNSF Railway seeks an Engineering Management Trainee 2015 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 5/31/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 2942
- Biotronik/Micro Systems Engineering seeks an Internship 2015 Location: Lake Oswego, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 5/31/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5940
- AirClean Technologies, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6036
- Unum seeks a Client Manager Associate Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5487
- SYSTEMA USA Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) Software Engineer Location: Bend, OR Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5503
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 4552
- AirClean Technologies, Inc. seeks a Mech. Engineering Internship Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 6/5/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6015
- Diamond Foods Kettle Brand seeks a Maintenance Manager Location: Salem, OR Job ad expires on: 6/6/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5581
- Alliance Window Company seeks an Engineer Location: Aurora, OR Job ad expires on: 6/12/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5111
- Alliance Window Company seeks a Project Management Trainee Location: Aurora, OR Job ad expires on: 6/12/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5113
- Selectemp Employment Services seeks a CNC Machinist Location: Lebanon, OR Job ad expires on: 6/16/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5730
- Translations.com seeks a Project Coordinator Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 6/19/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5742
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Process Engineer/WWOPS Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 6/21/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5817
- Oracle Corporation seeks na Inventory Services and Control - Business Analyst Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 6/21/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5818
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Operations Mechanical Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 6/21/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5824
- Anjaneyap Global Inc seeks an Entry Level Business Analyst and Quality Analyst Location: Milpitas, California Job ad expires on: 6/22/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5843
- Franklin Electric seeks a Manufacturing Engineer I Location: Wilburton, OK Job ad expires on: 6/22/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5850
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Mechanical Design Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: 6/23/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5871
- Dome Construction Corporation seeks a Project Engineer Location: South San Francisco Job ad expires on: 6/24/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 1657
- Trillium Technical seeks an Entry-level, hands-on Mechanical Engineer Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan Job ad expires on: 6/26/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5884
- Precision Measurements and Instruments Corporation (PMIC) seeks a Project Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 6/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5517
- Delta Construction Corporation seeks an Engineer I Location: Kapolei, Oahu, Hawaii Job ad expires on: 6/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 3924
- O-I seeks a Finished Products Shift Supervisor Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 7/5/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6018
- O-I seeks a Maintenance Mechanic Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 7/5/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6019
- AmeriTies West, LLC seeks a Process Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 7/6/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6051
- Littau Harvester seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Stayton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 7/6/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6054
- Sapa Extrusions North America seeks an Application Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 7/6/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 4902
- Sierra Pacific Industries seeks an Energy Contract Administrator Location: Anderson, CA Job ad expires on: 7/9/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6069
- Goken America seeks an Automotive Test Engineer Location: Columbus, OH Job ad expires on: 7/12/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6121
- Vanguard seeks a Client Relationship Specialist Location: Scottsdale, AZ Job ad expires on: 7/15/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 3647
- Selmet, Inc seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Location: Albany, Oregon Job ad expires on: 7/17/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6179
- Traylor Bros., Inc. seeks an Engineering Intern - Fall 2015 Location: Los Angeles, CA Job ad expires on: 7/31/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5791
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Universidad del Norte in Colombia, invites applications for faculty positions. One position is open for entry-level professor (tenure track) in the energy area with training and research experience in solar energy (resource assessment, CSP or CHP-solar based cycles) and thermodynamic cycles. Apply by May 22.
- The Johns Hopkins University Whiting School of Engineering (WSE) and the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) invite applications for the position of Bloomberg Distinguished Professor. Preference will be given to applicants at the tenured full professor level, but exceptionally qualified candidates at other ranks will be considered. Apply by May 31.
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE) at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York (SUNY) seeks to fill a Teaching Assistant Professor position. The majority of instruction will involve a newly formed course covering introductory MATLAB. Apply by June 1.
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.