Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
March 9, 2015
This Week's Features
AIAA Chapter Conducts Helicopter Outreach
Oregon State University American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) student chapter presented its first outreach activity. A class of 30 eighth graders visited the campus to hear a presentation on helicopters. In the session, the students learned the basic fundamentals of how a helicopter works as well as the uses the aircraft has today. Students were then split into six teams and competed against each other to see who could design a helicopter -- cardboard, cardstock, regular paper, tape and paper clips -- with the most "hang time." Arias Larmay, Caitlin Pellerin and Anton Schuster from School of MIME helped organize and run the event.
One-Stop Shopping for Graduation Needs – OSU Grad Fair
The OSU Grad Fair will take place April 20 and 21 from 10 am to 4 pm at the OSU Beaver Store. Graduates can choose, size and order everything at the Grad Fair, including regalia, announcements, and class rings. The registrar’s office, alumni association, and Honors College will be on site as well to assist graduates with questions regarding graduation. Students with questions about regalia, should contact the OSU Beaver Store. If you have questions about Oregon State graduation announcements or OSU official rings, contact Jostens at 1-800-854-7464 or online.
Mark Your Calendar
Materials Science Seminar: Pavement and Sustainability Research
Dr. Erdem Coleri, Assistant Professor in the School of Civil and Construction Engineering, will present on "Pavement and Sustainability Research at Oregon State University," as part of the Materials Science seminar series. The talk will cover the impact of increasing paving costs, decreasing pavement-program funding levels, and increasing traffic volumes on the road network condition in the near future. Coleri also will focus on sustainability and the on-going pavement research at Oregon State University.
"Pavement and Sustainability" | DATE: Thurs., March 12 | TIME: 3 pm | Place: Rogers 226
IIE Invites Panel to Talk Engineering Careers
IIE will be hosting an open Q&A session to discuss engineering careers. Come have a slice of pizza, and talk truth about an engineering career route. The 3-person panel discussion features speakers with a wide range of experience:
Leonard Weitman is a 35-year veteran engineer currently serving as the Vice President of Technical Operations for ASM America. He previously has worked in high-level positions for other major companies including Tektronix, Mentor Graphics, and Bend Broadband.
Malcolm Brown graduated from Oregon State in 2009 and completed his Masters in Industrial Engineering in 2011. He is currently working for Intel as an Operations Manager, and has started his own company. He previously worked for Boeing as well.
Tanida Chongwilan is a talented and experienced young engineer with several internships and is currently working as an analyst for the Oregon State Energy Efficiency Center. She graduated in 2013 and is currently finishing her Masters.
"Career Q&A Panel" | DATE: Thurs., March 12 | TIME: 6.30 pm | Place: Rogers 226
MIME Seminar: Responsible Manufacturing
John W. Sutherland, Ph.D. will present "Manufacturing Research in Support of Sustainability," as part of the MIME Seminar series. Sutherland, a professor and head of environmental and ecological engineering at Purdue University, will discuss air and water pollution – shortages of water and material resources –climate change – overburdened landfills, and the responsibilities of the manufacturing sector. He will discuss Purdue's research initiatives focused on reducing the environmental footprint of manufacturing. Please note, this seminar has had its time changed, updated below.
"Manufacturing Research in Support of Sustainability" | DATE: Wed., March 11 | TIME: 11 am | Place: Rogers 226
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
BGSA Annual Research Forum
The Black Graduate Student Association (BGSA) is holding its 4th annual research forum and is seeking students to present their research on April 3. BGSA is looking for three oral presenters (10 mins each) and eight posters. This forum provides a platform for many students in underrepresented communities at Oregon State to practice their presentation skills in a professional, yet encouraging environment. The forum will be held in the Linus Pauling Science Center 402, 12:30 -1:45 pm. Please send a 250-word abstract to BGSAatOSU@gmail.com. With the submission, please indicate whether you’d like it to be considered for a poster or oral presentation, and include the title and names of the author(s) and presenter. Apply by March 20.
EECS Professor Honored by National Academy of Engineering
The College of Engineering invites you to a reception to honor Gabor Temes (professor, School of EECS) for his recent election into the National Academy of Engineering. The celebration is Wed., March 11 at 5-6.30 pm in the Hallie Ford Center.
Graduate Students: Program of Study Help Sessions
Graduate students – please be advised that your Masters and PhD Programs of Study (POS) are due to be filed before students complete 18 credits of coursework in their graduate studies, according to the OSU Graduate School rules. MIME graduate programs advisor Lynn Paul will hold POS Help Sessions in Rogers 226 this week. There is no need to RSVP; just stop in if you need help or have some questions.
Mon., March 9, 10-11am, Rogers 226
Wed. March 11, 9-10am, Rogers 226
MPRL Opening Hours – Week 10 Winter Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for the week ending March 14 is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8-10 am; 12-5 pm | Tuesday – 8-10 am; 12-3.30 pm; 6-9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am; 12-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am – 12 pm; 3.30-9 pm | Friday – 8- 10 am; 12-5 pm | Saturday – 9 am – 5 pm
Scholarships and Fellowships
REU at the University of Maine and University of Concepcion, Chile
The Forest Bioproducts Research Institute offers an opportunity for 10 highly qualified undergraduate students to participate in research for a 10-week period, beginning June 1. Current undergraduate sophomores or juniors should consider the program if studying: Forest Operations, Resource Economics, Bioproducts, Bioenergy, Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Material Science, or Nanotechnology. The application deadline is March 31.
Scholarship for Student Vets
A Rockwell Collins Scholarship posted on the Student Veterans of America website will seek to award three $2,500 scholarships to student veterans that are interested in pursuing a STEM degree path. In addition to helping student veterans can achieve their goal of earning a college education, the scholarship aims to build a class of candidates that can meet the emerging workforce demands of Rockwell Collins. Apply by March 15.
Hydropower Research Funding
The Hydro Research Foundation researches and develops sustaining hydropower improvements. They have published their 2015 topics of interest here. The awards – up to $30,000 -- are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. All applications for the Hydro Research Award Program must be submitted by March 16, with Research Award announcements April 15. Applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Oregon Freeze Dry, makers of Mountain House, the no. 1 brand of freeze-dried backpacking foods, is seeking an Industrial Manufacturing Engineer to assist the Plant Manager and Sr. VP of Manufacturing in teaching, organizing and developing lean Six Sigma metrics to improve performance, lead value stream mapping, OEE and lean tools implementation. (Beaver Careers Job ID: 4955; job ad expires on March 31)
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Entry Level Engineer/Estimator Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 3334 Job ad expires on: 3/17/2015
- Georgia-Pacific LLC seeks an Entry Level Engineer Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 4703 Job ad expires on: 3/18/2015
- Georgia-Pacific LLC seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-Op Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 4704 Job ad expires on: 3/18/2015
- Oracle Corporation seeks an ORACLE- Inventory Services and Control - Business Analyst Location: Portland, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4216 Job ad expires on: 3/20/2015
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Operations Mechanical Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4722 Job ad expires on: 3/20/2015
- Hampton Affiliates seeks a Mechanical/Electrical Engineering Internship Location: Willamina, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 4288 Job ad expires on: 3/22/2015
- SWCA Environmental Consultants seeks a Project Coordinator - Portland, OR (20150017) Location: Portland OR Beaver Careers ID: 4581 Job ad expires on: 3/22/2015
- Interfor Corporation seeks a Safety, Quality & Production Technicians - Internship Location: Molalla (Oregon), Swainsboro (Georgia), Baxley (Georgia), Preston (Georgia) Beaver Careers ID: 4327 Job ad expires on: 3/24/2015
- Interfor Corporation seeks a Continuous Improvement Technicians Location: Molalla (Oregon), Swainsboro (Georgia), Baxley (Georgia), Preston (Georgia) Beaver Careers ID: 4321 Job ad expires on: 3/24/2015
- SunWize Power & Battery, LLC seeks a Power System Engineer Intern Location: Philomath, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4348 Job ad expires on: 3/24/2015
- Columbia Steel Casting Co., Inc. seeks a Facilities Engineering Intern Location: North Portland Beaver Careers ID: 4863 Job ad expires on: 3/27/2015
- Glosten seeks a Summer Engineering Internship Location: Seattle Beaver Careers ID: 4389 Job ad expires on: 3/28/2015
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Beaver Careers ID: 2790 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Beaver Careers ID: 2793 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. seeks a Field Industrial Engineer (Full-time) Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 4037 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. seeks a Field Industrial Engineer (Intern) Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 4038 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Amorphyx seeks a Process Engineer Location: Corvallis OR Beaver Careers ID: 5055 Job ad expires on: 4/1/2015
- ENERGY NORTHWEST seeks an Intern-Design Engineering (5515) Location: Richland, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4526 Job ad expires on: 4/4/2015
- ENERGY NORTHWEST seeks an Intern-Plant Support Engineering (5513) Location: Richland, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4528 Job ad expires on: 4/4/2015
- Zephyr seeks a Technical Support Engineer Location: Newark Beaver Careers ID: 4531 Job ad expires on: 4/4/2015
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Beaver Careers ID: 4552 Job ad expires on: 4/5/2015
- Sandy Farms seeks a Processing Plant Supervisor Location: Boring, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 4693 Job ad expires on: 4/12/2015
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services (Unmanned Arial Systems) Intern 2015 Location: Fort Worth, TX Beaver Careers ID: 4702 Job ad expires on: 4/13/2015
- Cardinal Glass Industries seeks a Process Engineer Location: Winlock, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4751 Job ad expires on: 4/18/2015
- Trinity Consultants, Inc. seeks an Environmental Engineer/Consultant Location: Seattle, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4776 Job ad expires on: 4/19/2015
- Thermogen Technologies, Inc. seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4799 Job ad expires on: 4/20/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Signal or Structures) - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4328 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4329 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Transportation Manager - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4330 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Internship/Coop Location: Various Locations Beaver Careers ID: 4337 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Trillium Technical seeks an Entry-level, hands-on Mechanical Engineering opportunities in the automotive industry in southeastern Michigan Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan Beaver Careers ID: 1998 Job ad expires on: 4/24/2015
- Dawson Construction, Inc. seeks a Project Management Internship Location: Bellingham, WA Beaver Careers ID: 5024 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Intern, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Beaver Careers ID: 2792 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- ProIT Inc. seeks a BigData Analyst Location: Across US Beaver Careers ID: 4031 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Dassault Systemes seeks an Education Material Intern Location: Seattle Wa Beaver Careers ID: 4738 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The University of South Alabama Mechanical Engineering Department is seeking candidates with backgrounds in Aerospace Engineering for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
- University of the Pacific, School of Engineering and Computer Science (SoECS), Department of Mechanical Engineering has an opening for a tenure-track Assistant Professor. Position is open until filled.
- The University of Texas at San Antonio seeks a Senior Lecturer faculty in the Thermal-Fluids Area. Position is open until filled.
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Naval Postgraduate School has a position open for a tenure-track faculty in Autonomous Systems with an emphasis on Underwater Vehicles. Candidates should immediately send an application letter, along with curriculum vitae and names of three references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: Garth Hobson | Professor and Chairman | Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering | 700 Dyer Road, Watkins Hall, Room 338 | Naval Postgraduate School | Monterey, CA 93943-5100 USA. Position will remain open until filled.
- The Department of Engineering at Trinity College invites applications for a full-time non-tenure track Lecturer/Lab Coordinator/Design Instructor position beginning in August 2015. Review of applications begins March 25.
- Columbia University, School of Engineering and Applied Science has four faculty openings (including three Endowed Chairs) in the Department of Earth and Environmental Engineering. Apply by March 27.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes at Southern Illinois University Carbondale seeks applicants for a Tenure-Track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor starting August 16, 2015. The application deadline is April 1.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.