This Week's Features
Dr. Porter Joins Council on Material Handling Education
Dr. David Porter has been invited to join the College Industry Council on Material Handling Education (CICMHE) as an academic member of the class 2014-2017. CICMHE includes many academic thought leaders in the areas of material handling and facility logistics that work side-by-side with industry professionals to promote Material Handling and Logistics education in colleges, universities and business organizations throughout the world. Congratulations to him!
Only 300 Votes Behind, Last Chance to Vote for Oregon!
The OSU Institute of Technology and OSU are currently 3rd and 4th place in the Facebook-based contest sponsored by Carmanah Traffic. The site can be accessed through the COE facebook page or http://woobox.com/5ef736/vote?web=1 to like the OSU photo and to vote – last chance is today! The prize is a pedestrian safety signal to be installed on the winning university campus.
Spring Term Advising Schedule
MIME Undergraduate Advising has open office hours for Spring term advising over the next two weeks. Student walk-ins are welcome from 8:30 to 11:30 am and 1:30 to 4:30 pm
Spring Term Course Addition
MIME has opened an additional Spring laboratory section of ENGR 248 Engineering Graphics and 3-D Modeling. This section meets Thursdays 10 to 11:50 am. If you have questions contact your academic advisor.
Attention Sophomores! Get Ready for Pro-School
The College of Engineering professional school application for Fall 2014 is now open and available online. The professional school application is due on July 1 at 11:59 pm. Please make sure you read the Fall 2014 Frequently Asked Questions regarding pro-school admission. If you have questions regarding the pro-school admission process, please contact your academic advisor or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mark Your Calendar
Patent Office Registration Exam
Students with degrees in engineering, computer sciences, or sciences (chemistry, biology, physics and related disciplines), may learn about how to take the Patent Office Registration Exam and become a qualified Patent Agent. There is an informational session on Wed., April 2 at 4 pm in Batcheller 150.
Nuclear Materials Seminar
The Nuclear Materials Seminar Series this week will feature Andy Klein and Julie Tucker, Oregon State University, discussing, "That is a Great Design! What Are You Going to Build it Out Of? And Other Annoying Questions by Materials Scientists," on Thursday, April 3 from 3 to 4 pm in 149 Weniger Hall.
ASM International Annual Student Night in Portland
The Oregon Chapter of ASM International has its annual student night event on Tues., April 15, at the University of Portland. As a part of the event, ASM holds a student presentation competition with cash prizes for the top three presenters. The event includes dinner for the students, and there are both graduate and undergraduate divisions. Abstracts are due by April 8.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer: This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Elder Care Informational Sessions
The Oregon State Childcare and Family Resources, Office of Work-Life and College of Public Health, has established a new group designed to provide support and information to employees who are helping or assisting their older loved ones. The group, Elder Care Connections, will meet this term as follows:
- April 17 from 12-1 in the MU MLK Room
- May 15 from 12-1 in the MU MLK Room
- June 19 from 12-1 in the MU Board Room
Contact email@example.com for more information.
Best T-Shirt Design Wins $1,000
The 2014 Summer Session T-shirt contest is open to current Oregon State University students. Designs may be submitted through Friday, April 18. All current OSU students are eligible to enter and win a $1,000 scholarship payable toward summer term on-campus courses. All OSU students will be eligible to vote for the winning design.
Wed, April 2
MIME Graduate Defense: “Theoretical and Implementation Concerns of Difference Evaluation Functions,” by Mitchell Colby, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, 9:00 AM, Rogers 226.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Research Internships
NASA Scholarships for 2014-15 Open
The Oregon NASA Space Grant Consortium (OSGC) has opened their 2014-2015 scholarship procedures. Students may apply for scholarship awards that will support their academic study in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and STEM education.
The following scholarships are available for the 2014-15 Academic Year*:
• Community College Scholarships: Up to twelve, $5,000 awards will be offered
• 4-year Institution Scholarships: Up to fifteen, $8,000 awards will be offered
• Undergraduate Research Scholarships: Up to five, $12,000 awards will be offered
Online application links and other program information, including the 2014-15 Scholarship Program Guide, are also available online. Application Deadline: May 23.
- Zonta Service Foundation of Corvallis is accepting applications for its 2014-2015 Rusnak Scholarship, a $2700 award for a female student focused on a career in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math. For LBCC/OSU degree partnership students, the total payment can be divided between the two institutions. Applications are due April 4.
- SMTA gives a $5,000 Charles Hutchins Educational Grant to a full time graduate-level student pursuing a degree and working on thesis research in electronic assembly, electronics packaging, or a related field. Applications are due April 14.
- The Applied Computer Security Associates will award scholarships for women in undergraduate and masters' degree programs through the Scholarships for Women Studying Information Security. Applications may be submitted starting March 30, and will be accepted until May 1.
Job and Internship Opportunities
FEATURED – The Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) is presently recruiting engineering students to be a part of our student development program. The program’s goal is to provide engineering experience while the student is still enrolled in school and potentially a full time position once the student graduates. The application deadline is April 7.
FEATURED – The Center for Talented Youth (CTY) is looking for an instructor or teaching assistant. Individuals with expertise in the following engineering-related courses may want to apply:
For more information about the positions, visit cty.jhu.edu/jobs/summer; email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-735-6185.
FEATURED – Tualatin Valley Water District Engineering Services department has an opening for an engineering intern summer internship. The position runs from June through September, with an application deadline of April 15.
FEATURED – Salem-based aerospace machining company Hanard Machine seeks applicants for its Quality Engineer internship position, a three- to six-month post. Interested students can contact Zachary Southworth at email@example.com for more information.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings.
- NEW – Suterra LLC in Bend, Oregon, seeks an engineering intern to work on a project to design and fabricate an automated machine to test large numbers of batteries. Application deadline is April 1. (Beaver JobNet ID 28362)
- Fahrenheit IT Staffing and Consulting seeks an Industrial Engineer for their client in the health care sector. The position is in Portland, Oregon, or Spokane, Washington. Application deadline: April 2. (Beaver JobNet ID 27670)
- NEW – Environmental Controls Corp seeks an Application Engineer, responsible for effectively and efficiently designing control systems on assigned projects to meet the criteria of contract plans and specifications. Locations are in Eugene and Portland, Oregon. Applications are due by April 3. (Beaver JobNet ID 27855)
- NEW – Tacoma Water is looking for three summer Engineering Interns for the summer employment. Please follow the link below to view the job announcement. Application deadline is April 4. (Beaver JobNet ID 28365)
- Micro Systems Engineering has an internship opportunity for Electrical, Biomedical, Mechanical, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering or Manufacturing engineering students. Applications are accepted until April 4. (Beaver JobNet ID 26979)
- Schreiber Foods, Inc. seeks production leaders -- Dairy Production Supervisor (Team Advisor) -- for their manufacturing facilities. Applications are accepted until April 8, and should be submitted through the company web site.
- NEW – The City of Gresham is seeking qualified students to fill an Engineering Internship in the Water division of the Department of Environmental Services. Applications are accepted until April 10. (Beaver JobNet ID 28295)
- Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals has 20 engineering and computer science summer internship openings at their San Francisco location. Applications are due by April 11, and must be submitted at www.bayerjobs.com.
- NEW – Lenity Architecture, with locations in Bend, Oregon, and Salem, Oregon, seeks a Mechanical Engineer to work with a design team on multiple projects. Applications are due by April 14. (Beaver JobNet ID 28119)
- International Forest Products Limited has an opening for a Reliability Engineer. The application deadline is April 14. (Beaver JobNet ID 28160)
- Carestream in White City, Oregon, seeks a Systems Technician with Carestream Health’s Dry Film Coating Group. The person in this position will provide technical support for the Process and Product Engineering groups. Application deadline is April 21. (Beaver JobNet ID 26170)
- NEW – The Multnomah County Drainage District (MCDD) is seeking an engineering intern. MCDD provides flood protection by maintaining the Columbia River levee system and removing stormwater for residents and businesses. The application deadline is April 23. (Beaver JobNet ID 28506)
- Dyno Nobel is seeking two interns at its St Helens, Oregon, location for the summer, preferably in the discipline of chemical or mechanical engineering. Application Deadline: April 25. (Beaver JobNet ID 27341)
- Target Corp. seeks a Systems Engineer at its Albany, Oregon, location supporting the distribution center's production, focusing operational performance for equipment such as conveyors, sortation systems, scanners, cameras, depalletizers, print and apply systems, ASRS cranes, material handling robots, and SCADA devices and programs. The application deadline is April 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26861)
- Amazon is looking for applicants with a degree in Degree in Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, General Management for positions of Area Manager, Operations. The application deadline is May 14. (Beaver JobNet ID 27644).
- NEW – Hollingsworth & Vose based in Corvallis seeks a Mechanical Engineering Summer Hire for work on projects related to design, maintenance, improvement and construction problems pertaining to the Company’s production and facility-related projects. Applications are accepted until May 15. (Beaver JobNet ID 28217)
- Stahlbush Island Farms is looking for a Mechanical Engineer at their Corvallis location. Applications are due by May 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 27610)
- Maxim Integrated, a semiconductor manufacturer, seeks manufacturing and industrial engineering candidates for nationwide positions. The application deadline is May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25174)
- Safeway seeks applicants to its summer paid internship in manufacturing internship. Applications are accepted until May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25386)
- JVNW, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Intern (paid) for a 3- to 6-month post at their Canby, Ore., location. Applications are due by June 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28139)
- NEW – Lockheed Martin seeks a mechanical engineer to provide technical support to Navy and Lockheed Martin customers for issues related to Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) Program D5 Missile and Reentry Systems (RES) at its Silverdale, Wash., location. Applications are accepted until June 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 27890)
CampusPoint has the following listing: Technical writer for aircraft maintenance manuals, Sandy, Oregon.
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW – The Division of Chemical, Bioengineering, Environmental, and Transport Systems (CBET) Engineering at the National Science Foundation is currently recruiting engineering professionals who wish to become Program Director of one of three current openings in the Catalysis & Biocatalysis, Thermal Transport Processes, and General and Age-Related Disabilities Programs.
- NEW – Kenai Peninsula College has faculty openings for those with extensive industry experience (any type of ‘process’ or instrumentation experience, including marine/ocean engineering) or those with strong teaching interests coupled with at least a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate engineering field.
- NEW – The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at the University of Missouri invites applications for up to four tenured or tenure track faculty positions. Applicants at all ranks are sought in the areas of thermal-fluids sciences and materials sciences to complement existing strengths in MAE. Interested individuals must submit applications online at http://hrs.missouri.edu/find-a-job/academic (select position numbers 12779 for thermal-fluids sciences, 12777 for materials science, and 12778 for dynamics and control/design and manufacturing). Application review begins immediately.
- The Mechanical Engineering and the Electrical and Computer Engineering Departments at Seattle University invite applications for a tenure-track Associate Professor and Director of Systems Engineering beginning in the 2014-15 school year.
- Prairie View A&M University Department of Mechanical Engineering is looking for candidates for two tenure-track faculty positions 1) Mechanical Design; and 2) Dynamic Systems and Control.
- The University of Queensland seeks a tenured professorial position with the School of Mechanical and Mining Engineering to take over the leadership of a research group in the area of geothermal and concentrating solar thermal (CST) power generation. The application deadline is April 21.