MIME in the News | Mark Your Calendar | Announcements | Graduate Defenses | Scholarships and Fellowships | Jobs and Internships | Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
Mark Your Calendar
- Friday Snack & Study Sessions
Have homework to work on? Worried about MECOP? Want to get a dose of schadenfreude listening to upperclassmen complain about capstone? Come to the Friday Snack & Study Sessions, hosted by the Society of Manufacturing Engineers! We'll bring snacks and MIME seniors, you bring your homework, and questions. Open to all engineering majors! Connect with SME and find other events on our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OregonStateSME/.
Fridays | 2-5 p.m. | Dearborn 119 Study Lounge
- Beaver BarCamp 18 - The Un-Conference
Share your passion, connect with others, and learn something new at Beaver BarCamp 18. This is an informal un-conference that has been hosted by the OSU Open Source Lab for over 10 years. Attendees can participate in sessions throughout the day or propose their own session on a project, hobby or research interest. Help us fill OSU’s Kelley Engineering Center with interesting ideas and skills. Continental breakfast and U-Hero lunch provided. Free registration at: http://beaverbarcamp.org/
April 7 | 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. | Kelley Engineering Center
Have you ever wanted to create something fun and unique? HWeekend is your opportunity! This hardware development competition brings students of all levels and majors together with industry and faculty mentors to create something new — all packed into an intense weekend of activity. Six teams designed and built prototype devices at Oregon State’s first hardware weekend. HWeekend is a free event sponsored by the College of Engineering, College of Business, and InnovationX. Students work together in teams to create a marketable project they can demonstrate and pitch to judges at the end of the weekend. Apply by April 7. More information and application.
April 14-15 | Kelley Engineering Center
- 2018 Engineering Undergraduate Expo
At the annual Engineering Undergraduate Expo, our undergraduate students will share their work through the use of models, demonstrations, and posters with industry partners, alumni, the media, prospective students, their peers, other academic institutions, and the general public. Attendees will have the opportunity to interact directly with individual students, ask questions, and exchange ideas.
May 18 | 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. | Johnson Hall and Kelley Engineering Center
- If you planning to graduate Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall 2018 or have graduated in Fall 2017 and would like to attend the MIME Graduation/Commencement Celebration, please fill out the RSVP survey. If you have not yet had your senior picture taken, please sign up now: http://mime.oregonstate.edu/photosignup/.
- The Graduate School is excited to announce our annual Graduate Showcase and Three Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition, both happening on May 3 as part of Grad Appreciation Week. These events offer graduate students the chance to share their scholarship and communicate it to a broad audience. In these judged events, $1,750 in cash prizes will be awarded to the top three 3MT winners and additional prizes will be awarded in the Graduate Showcase. All participants will gain professional development skills and CV-worthy experience! This is a call for submissions for the Graduate Showcase and Three Minute Thesis. The submission deadline is March 30. Please consider submitting to either event, and/or forward this information to anyone who may be interested. Consult our website for submission guidelines: http://gradschool.oregonstate.edu/feature/three-minute-thesis-competition and http://gradschool.oregonstate.edu/feature/graduate-showcase.
- Help Beaver Overdrive visit Facebook's most efficient data center: Facebook’s data center in Prineville, OR- one of the most advanced and efficient data center in the United States, has opened its doors to the Electronic Packaging Society (EPS) student group at Oregon State. Facebook has been so thrilled with the rapid success of our Beaver Overdrive competitive computer overclocking team, that they wanted the student group to see how high efficiency computing is really done. This is a once in a lifetime networking and learning opportunity for these undergraduate students, all of whom want to pursue a career in high-performance electronic packaging and thermal management. Please help us take these students over the mountain to see state of the art technologies implemented on a massive scale. https://create.osufoundation.org/project/9113
- OSU AIAA has launched a new website. Check it out to learn more about the group and their competitions. www.osuaiaa.com
- International Peer Mentoring Program - The International Peer Mentoring Program is a global community designed to help new international students with cultural, academic, and social adjustment. Join the program today to connect with other globally-minded students who have transitioned to life at OSU and serve as a mentor for students who have questions about life, culture, and Corvallis! Apply by April 1: https://goo.gl/forms/OQ65izhh5NlFDk6g1.
- The Data Incubator is an intensive 8 week fellowship that prepares masters students, PhDs, and postdocs in STEM and social science fields seeking industry careers as data scientists. The program is free for Fellows and supported by sponsorships from hundreds of employers across multiple industries. In response to the overwhelming interest in our earlier sessions, we will be holding another fellowship. More information and application.
- Internship – Expires 4/30– ORISE Internships and Research Participation – Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education – Corvallis *Employer is accepting OPT/CPT candidates* https://oregonstate.joinhandshake.com/jobs/1416808
- Georgia-Pacific highly regards our Engineering Development Summer Interns and Co-ops, not only as a valuable source of productivity and innovative ideas, but also as a source of talent from which we are able to select fulltime employees. Interns and Co-ops are challenged with real, high-impact opportunities to create value and make a difference in our operations. They are held to the same standard as full-time employees and are expected to challenge the status quo, speak up, offer ideas and solutions, and also to uphold our high standards for compliance, health, and safety. http://www.gpcampusinfo.com/engineering/#?page=2
- Hardware/Mechanical Engineering Intern, Summer 2018 Google - Google has both 3 and 6 month long Internships available. The 3-month Internship will start and end in the Summer 2018 timeframe (May to September). The 6-month Internship will start in June 2018 and end in December 2018. More info.
- The PROMISE program is a ten-week paid internship which provides opportunities in university programs for Oregon State University undergraduate students, with particular emphasis on providing pathways for historically underrepresented students to professional careers. Historically underrepresented students may include, but are not limited to, first-generation students, low-income students, LGBTQ+ students, students of color, students with disabilities, veteran students and transfer students. http://career.oregonstate.edu/promise-2018-project-descriptions-and-application
- Acumed seeks an entry level manufacturing engineering position in Hillsboro, OR. This role supports production cells and new product development teams to meet operational objectives by developing, integrating, and improving production processes and systems. The Process Engineer also ensures compliance to Acumed, FDA, and ISO regulations. More info and application.
- The Department of Veterans Affairs is offering a unique career opportunity in Biomedical (Clinical) Engineering that invites qualified candidates with drive and commitment to serve a very special class of citizens – our nation’s veterans. Please apply online at: https://www.usajobs.gov and search Vacancy ID 10164378, announcement CASA-10164378-18-LFM-TCF, Biomedical Engineer or TCF Application closes April 5, 2018.
- Western Shelter Systems seeks an Engineering Project Manager responsible for planning, organizing and directing engineering team to meet company objectives for design, new product development and improvement of existing product lines. This position reports directly to the Director of Operations. http://westernshelter.com/careers/2017/7/26/engineering-project-manager
- OxBo Engineering, LLC seeks a junior engineer
- with specialty in structural, mechanical, civil, or naval architecture degrees, who is career oriented, and willing to fulfill the design/drafting role, and take on increasing engineering responsibilities, and ultimately earn their PE License. Applicants should have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better. If this sounds like the position and company for you, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. http://www.oxboinc.com/careers.
- Paid position with the College of Engineering. Looking for motivated students from a variety of majors across the college! Ambassador duties include: Daily COE Tours, networking and interacting with alumni, recruiting prospective students, and more! Link to apply: http://bit.ly/coeambassador.
- Student Engineer – PacifiCorp – Portland - https://oregonstate.joinhandshake.com/jobs/1423589/share_preview
- Materials Management (Campus Recycling and Surplus Property) have multiple job openings in IT, online sales, warehouse work, refurbishing, driving, etc. Most applications are due on Tuesday, March 6th. Learn more and apply by visiting http://tiny.cc/recycle-jobs.
- For more job listings, sign up for Handshake at http://career.oregonstate.edu/handshake.
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley is generating an applicant pool of qualified temporary instructors to teach regular and summer courses should an opening arise. More information and application.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.