MIME in the News | Mark Your Calendar | Announcements | Graduate Defenses | Scholarships | Internships | Job Opportunities | Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
S8, E5: Detecting Parkinson’s early for better outcomes (Engineering Out Loud)
How can we help in the fight against Parkinson’s disease? Harriet Nembhard and her colleagues developed a sensor system to detect the disease early on, opening the door to earlier treatment and improved quality of life.
“Don’t bring your gender to work,” Intel India Head Nivruti Rai tells women at HerStory’s Women on a Mission Summit (HerStory)
Nivruti Rai (M.S. Industrial Engineering, '93), Country Head of Intel India, in a fireside chat with YourStory Founder and CEO Shradha Sharma at HerStory’s Women on a Mission Summit, emphasises the need for women to be confident, to be risk takers, to help fellow women, and '…forget that you’re a woman.'
OSU-Cascades Racks Up Water Research Grants (OPB)
This month, the Bend campus announced a $2.97 million grant through the U.S. Department of Energy to develop technology for treating the wastewater of hydraulic fracturing, or fracking. “I work on taking water that is not usable for drinking or agricultural purposes, and turning it into water that you can use for a productive purpose,” explained energy systems engineering professor Bahman Abbasi.
DamDiverse showcases student voices (The Barometer)
DamDiverse, a blog run by three Oregon State University students, was recently invited to share their work at the Roseland Theater in Portland as part of a show called “Reflect.” Mohamed Alsaif and Ali Ebrahimi are photographers for the blog, which strives to bridge gaps between communities by providing a platform for students to share their unique, diverse stories.
Congratulations to our award winners, who were honored at the MIME Awards Banquet hosted by Pi Tau Sigma (PTS) and Alpha Pi Mu (APM)!
- Outstanding Faculty Member, Mechanical Engineering: Nancy Squires
- Outstanding Faculty Member, Industrial/Manufacturing Engineering: Hector Vergara
- Robert Paasch
- Bryony DuPont
- Paula de Szoeke
- Jeffrey Hoffman
- Commitment to Service for PTS: Deborah Pence
- Commitment to Service for APM: Rasaratnam Logendran
- Outstanding Senior, IME: Malaia Jacobsen
- Outstanding Senior, ME: Kelly Fox
Follow the College of Engineering on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn and subscribe on YouTube. Follow MIME on Twitter and Facebook.
Mark Your Calendar
Pathways - Recruiting and Hiring Students and Recent Graduates Internship Program
This free virtual (online) presentation explains and introduces you to the Pathways Programs (Internships, Recent Graduates and Presidential Management Fellows (PMF). The Information presented covers what each program offers to the job seeker, the basic requirements and employment potential after each program is complete. Limited to 1,000 so register quickly if interested. They collect your email address data and university data to determine future virtual presentations.
Monday, March 11 | 5:00 pm
Singu-hilarity: A Robot Comedy Variety Show
Robots are becoming more present in our everyday lives, but almost no one has seen robots like this before...join Jon the Robot (a robotic stand-up comedian) and some of our favorite nerdy, scientific, and autonomous performers for an evening of comedy, music, dance, and visual art. Acts will include stand-up comedy from Jon the Robot, Naomi Fitter of Oregon State's CoRIS Institute, Ginger the Robot, Sarah Hagen of Oregon State's Math Department, and The Irrelevant Podcast. Musical performances from the SpiderHarp and dance performances from the robot aquarium will help to keep the evening lively and vibrant.
Friday, April 19 | 7:00pm | Majestic Lab Theatre | Tickets: $10
Note: Accompanying that show, Fitter will be installing a robotic art piece in The Majestic Theater's gallery. This drawing robot will be accompanied by other robots or robot-generated art pieces from April 15th to April 19th. This gallery will be part of the April Corvallis Art Walk. This same art robot will also be making an appearance starting next week in Fairbanks Hall's Woodshop gallery (found in the basement of the building). The robot will be installed there from March 11th to March 22nd as part of the ongoing student sculpture exhibit there. This just happens to be during the March Corvallis Art Walk, so we'll be part of this art walk as well.
"Design for Clean Technology Adoption: Application of Discrete Choice Analysis and the Theory of Planned Behavior for Development Engineering," by Mohammad H. Pakravan, Candidate for PhD in Mechanical Engineering. Major Professor: Dr. MacCarty.
Tuesday, March 19 | 12:00 pm | Rogers 342
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) Distinguished Staff Fellowship Program
The goal of the Distinguished Staff Fellowship Program is to identify and develop future ORNL leaders in science and technology. The Program offers early-career scientists and engineers a one-of-a-kind opportunity to conduct world-class research at a premier institution, providing generous support as the Fellows initiate long-term careers at the Laboratory. Applicants must have received their doctoral degree in a science or engineering field before their start date and can be no more than five years beyond receiving their highest technical degree at the date of application submission. Application deadline: Friday, March 29, 2019.
Hardware Product Sprint (HPS) - Google
HPS is a program for students interested in the technical side of hardware development. In this 12-week program, students partner with a hardware engineer to build their own technical project and learn about the technical opportunities available in consumer electronics. Google's Hardware Product Sprint will introduce you to the product development process for consumer electronics by challenging you to design and build your own product. Mechanical Engineering: The course will introduce mechanical design concepts to create a high volume manufacturable product. This includes initial concept development, prototyping and device assembly.
Registration for 2019 OSU Celebrating Undergraduate Excellence (CUE) now open
CUE provides undergraduates with an excellent opportunity to showcase their research or creative activity. OSU undergraduates in all years of study, all academic disciplines, and all stages of research or creative work are eligible to present. Students can present solo or group projects. While most students present research posters, we invite students with artistic/creative projects and Ecampus students to apply as well. The event will be held on Tuesday, May 14, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM, in the MU Ballroom. The deadline for registering for CUE is Friday, April 19th at 5:00 PM.
- OSURA scholarship
The OSU Retirement Association is now accepting scholarship applications for support of up to $2,000 per person to undergraduate students at Oregon State University who are pursuing a course of study that may lead to a career promoting healthy aging. That term includes all aspects of health - physical, emotional, social or financial. The deadline to apply is Monday, March 11. To apply or for more info, visit https://osura.oregonstate.edu/osura-scholarship or contact Mealoha McFadden at Mealoha.email@example.com or 541-737-6522.
- WOMEN IN TECHNOLOGY SCHOLARSHIP: The world economy, industry and sciences are becoming increasingly digitized, and these developments are disrupting society and familiar social processes. Women, however, are still largely underrepresented in information technology and other STEM fields. To create a world in which men and women have equal opportunities, women need to have an active role in technology and technological developments. Zonta International is pleased to offer its new Zonta International Women in Technology Scholarship to encourage women to pursue education, career opportunities and leadership roles in technology. Learn more. The Women in Technology Scholarship is a pilot program made possible through generous donations to the Zonta International Foundation. You will find the more details and the application on the Zonta web site.
- Nominations are now being accepted for the Eric & Janice Hoffman Scholarship to support undergraduate COE students who are in financial need as they near degree completion. We are pleased to announce that students may now self-nominate, or be nominated by faculty, advisors, or staff. The nomination form is available online: Hoffman Scholarship Nomination Form.
MSI Sponsored-Summer 2019 Internships
The Marine Studies Initiative is pleased to announce MSI Sponsored-Summer 2019 Internships. These internships are available along the Oregon Coast and available to OSU students from any major. The areas of focus include arts, science filmmaking, whale research, engineering, tourism, and education, policy and outreach. Group housing is provided as well as a stipend of up to $6,100. Please see our website for more details. The application can be found here. The application requires a cover letter, resume, two recommendation letters, and unofficial transcripts. Deadline to apply is March 22, 2019.
A sampling of recently opened internships from Handshake. Login to see details and create your own saved searches to customize your internship search.
- #2469436 FERC Summer Internship 2019 - Economics at Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- #2469906 Electro Mechanical Engineer Internship at HP Inc.
- #2307721 ANL-IP Intern, Conference, Network and Project Management Support (P0) at Argonne National Laboratory
- #2482580 Student Trainee (Engineering and Architecture) at U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- #2471894 Engineering Teaching Assistants (residential summer program) at Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (Summer Programs)
- #2483001 Engineering Intern - OXO at Helen of Troy
- #2227923 Tech Startup: Materials Science + Ultra-High Vacuum Experimentalist Internship at Modern Electron
- #2442842 Tech Startup: Engineering Internship at Modern Electron
- #2488851 New Product Introduction Engineering Intern at Teledyne Oil & Gas
- #2489839 Supply Chain/Sourcing Intern at Qorvo
- #2489777 Process Engineering, Intern at Qorvo
- #1426623 SUMMER 2019 - Paid Operations / Production Internships at Dynamic Manufacturing, Inc.
- #1426552 SUMMER 2019 - PAID MECHANICAL / MANUFACTURING / INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING INTERNS at Dynamic Manufacturing, Inc.
- #1883775 SUMMER 2019 - PAID INDUSTRIAL/MECHANICAL/MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING INTERNS at Dynamic Manufacturing, Inc.
- #2492309 Internship: China Electric Vehicle Policy Research and Vehicle Emission Data Analysis at International Council on Clean Transportation
- #2492535 Engineering Intern at Moxxly, Inc.
- #2492988 Health Care Medical Device Intern at Helen of Troy
- #2494559 Student Intern 1 at Skyworks Solutions, Inc.
- #2495955 Summer Internships- Free Space Optical Communications- Job ID 10012 at Space Dynamics Lab
- #2206981 Supply Chain/Logistics/Operations Internship at Niagara Bottling, LLC
- #2502207 Robot Software SQA Intern at Brooks Automation
- #2502555 Engineering for Bouncing Back - Research Experience for Undergraduates on Resilient Communities at Oregon State University College of Engineering
- #2505654 Summer Intern - Technology at McKesson Corporation
- #2506477 Internship - Systems/Mechanical Engineer at DEKA Research and Development
Engineering Job Club (Online Version)
Spring term is here and if you’re graduating, one more thing just got added to your to-do list: find a job. Wondering how to fit that in with classes, capstone projects and everything else? Sign up for Engineering Job Club, a weekly email series that breaks the process down into manageable chunks. This series will help you set reminders, stay motivated, and work toward landing that engineering position you want, all on your own schedule. Series begins April 8th, but students are welcome to jump in at any time. Register today in Handshake: Engineering Job Club
Now Hiring: COE Student Career Assistants
The College of Engineering is seeking energetic students to join the COE Career Assistant Team in the 2019-2020 academic year! Career Assistants support the mission and services of the College of Engineering and the Career Development Center by providing peer advising, assisting in the coordination of campus programs and events, and working collaboratively with staff, alumni and employers. Apply online by March 25: http://jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/72994.
Student job opening for IT Technician: MIME IT is hiring for one Student IT Technician to assist in supporting the technology in the College of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing. This includes hardware, software, wireless, network, and some server support. Please apply online at https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/62853.
Here is a sampling of recently opened jobs from Handshake. Login to see details. Create your own saved searches to optimize your job search.
- #2470672 Research Engineer at Innovative Scientific Solutions Inc.
- #743759 Technical Engineering Sales at Proctor Sales, Inc.
- #2475716 Engineering Development Program Associate at Dragados USA
- #2474457 Physicist/Engineer at Applied Research Associates, Inc. (ARA)
- #2477850 Entry Level Mechanical Engineer at Casper, Phillips & Associates
- #2216312 Solutions Architect & Sales Engineering Associate at ZL Technologies
- #2478017 Mechanical Engineer at Oceaneering International, Inc.
- #2478654 Associate Engineer Program (July 2019) at MTA Metro-North Railroad
- #2479512 Engineer at Accelerated Development & Support Corporation
- #1650593 Business Process Consulting - Industrial Engineer at Shipley Coaching – initial project at a US Naval Shipyard
- #2502716 Mechanical Engineer at MS Technology, Inc.
- #2316174 Quality Assurance Specialist at MS Technology, Inc.
- #2489819 Product Design Engineer at Carson Optical
- #2495205 Engineering Technician II at City of Portland Bureau of Human Resources – closes 3/18
- #2495578 Research & Development Systems Engineer - Discrete-event Simulation (Early/Mid-Career) at Sandia National Laboratories
- #2210960 Supply Chain/Logistics/Operations - Professional Development Program at Niagara Bottling, LLC
- #2496257 Mechanical Engineering positions with Fiat Chrysler Automotive and Denso North America in Southeast Michigan at Trillium Technical
- #2436356 Computational Modeling Scientist at DoD Biotechnology HPC Software Applications Institute – PhD req’d.
- #2499040 Design Engineer I at Pride Mobility Products Corporation
- #2500167 Engineering Associate at Space Dynamics Lab
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.