This Week's Features
Lindbloom Wins URISC Funding
Manufacturing engineering student Scott Lindbloom has received funding from the Undergraduate Research, Innovation, Scholarship and Creativity (URISC) for Winter and Spring 2013-14 for his research project, “Investigation of the Electrically-Assisted Machining Process. Lindbloom, who is advised by Dr. Karl Haapala, received one of the ten URISC awards. Altogether, 43 proposals were received for consideration.
Winter Term Start-up Advising Schedule
MIME Undergraduate Advising has walk-in hours for students during the first two weeks of Winter term. Walk-in hours during Week No. 1 are from 8:30 am to 11:30 am and 1:15 pm to 4:15 pm, Monday through Friday. Week No. 2 walk-in hours are from 3-4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
Winter Term Online Drop/Add
With regard to the Winter term academic calendar, please note that the last day to add a class via internet is Sunday, Jan. 12. The last day to drop a class via internet is Friday, Jan. 17 at 11:55 pm.
Mark Your Calendar
The College of Engineering will host Engineering Awareness Week from January 13-16, 2014. All sessions are held on the OSU main campus. *** The location for the Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering session has changed to Kearney 212 (from Owen) at 6 pm and 7 pm. The Mechanical Engineering sessions are Monday, Jan. 13 at 6 pm and 7 pm in Dearborn 118.
Target Recruiting Event
Target Corporation will come to the OSU campus next week to promote their career and internship opportunities starting in spring and fall. Students are welcome to apply for positions to gain experience in management, operations, and engineering. Where: Memorial Union Room 208. When: Jan. 15, at 12-2:00 pm.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer: This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
FE Review Course offered through IIE
This course is designed to assist students who are studying for the FE Exam. Beginning Week 2 of winter term, the lectures will be offered twice a week on consecutive nights for eight weeks by accredited OSU professors. The subjects covered are Electrical Fundamentals (Jan. 15 & 16), Statics (Jan. 22 & 23), Strength of Materials (Jan. 29 & 30), Materials Science (Feb. 5 & 6), Thermodynamics (Feb. 12 & 13), Fluid Mechanics (Feb. 19 & 20), Dynamics (Feb. 26 & 27), and Engineering Economy (Mar. 5 & 6). Nearly 100 percent of students who have enrolled in this course have passed the FE exam. The cost of the class is $100 and students may register up until Jan 16. Sign up online or contact email@example.com with any questions. All sessions are held from 7pm-9pm in OWEN 102. Dates and topics subject to change.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Research Internships
- Currently enrolled college sophomores or juniors pursuing studies in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) may apply for the Intertek Scholarship Program. The five scholarship winners of up to $10,000 will be announced March 2014. The deadline is Jan. 17.
- IE3 Global Internships, summer internships abroad. Application deadline is Jan. 25.
- Bioprocess Engineering, 2014 Research Experience for undergrads, at Virginia Tech; deadline is February 1.
- Amgen Scholars US Program, for undergraduate research opportunities application deadline is Feb. 3.
- Environmental Health Research Program and University of Washington; application deadline is Feb.14
- The Environmental Health Research Experience Program (EHREP) is a funded, nine week, summer research program for undergraduates. The deadline is Feb. 14.
- Society of Women engineers scholarships for 2014-2015. Application deadline is Feb. 17.
- Buick Achievers of 2014 is now accepting applications for undergraduates who major in a field of study that focuses on engineering, technology, design or business, with an interest in the automotive industry. The deadline is February 28, 5 pm.
Engineering Scholarship Resource
To search for potential engineering scholarship sources and browse through a host of information relevant to earning your engineering degree and professional license, visit EngineeringDegree.com.
OSU subscribes to Grant Forward, a software service useful for research grant seekers and graduate students. The service, which requires users to set up an account profile, retrieves new postings from numerous funding agencies on a daily basis, and then tags the posting with the appropriate category, deadline, sponsor type, status, submission type and keywords.
Job and Internship Opportunities
• Portland-based start-up medical company Impact Medical is seeking mechanical engineering and manufacturing engineering candidates to fill an immediate opening for the position of Director of Engineering. Interested candidates should contact Lore@impactmedicalco.com and submit their CVs.
• TE Connectivity’s TE Medical is seeking a Manufacturing Engineer for its Wilsonville, Ore., facility. Responsibilities include: develop and provide timely solutions for difficult machine based process issues and opportunities; able to apply automation techniques to resolve production issues; and identifying, implementing and sustaining safety controls.
• The OSU Energy Efficiency Center is hiring sophomore, junior, and senior engineering students with excellent technical aptitude. For more information visit: http://mime.oregonstate.edu/facilities/eec. To apply: download application: http://eec.engr.oregonstate.edu/downloads/Job%20Application.doc. Email the completed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Include a cover letter in body of email and attach a resume if you have one.)
• The Catalyst, OSU's journal on research and creative efforts of undergraduates, is seeking three co-editors. Students of any major with an expected graduation date no earlier than spring 2015 may apply. Ideal applicants will have experience working with InDesign or other page layout software.Please send a resume and a letter of introduction to Kevin Ahern at email@example.com with the words "Catalyst Editor" in the subject line. The deadline is Jan. 24.
• Target Corp. seeks a Systems Engineer at its Albany distribution center. Direct questions about the position to Jennifer.Reidy@target.com.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings. Newly posted opportunities are listed first and then in order of closing date:
- Carestream Health’s Dry Film Coating Group, in White City, Oregon has an opening for a systems technician to provide technical support for Process and Product Engineering groups. (Beaver JobNet ID 26170)
- King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals has ten opening for Post-Doc, Assistant, Associate and Professors. PhD holders in the areas of industrial engineering, operations research, supply chain management, safety with commitments to their research and teaching should submit applications by Jan. 7. (Beaver JobNet ID 26603)
- JDSUs Optical Security and Performance Products (OSP) Business Unit is looking for a R&D Engineer-Optical Coatings/Process Engineer to join their team in Santa Rosa, Calif. The application deadline is Jan. 8. (Beaver JobNet ID 26611)
- Oregon Freeze Dry, Inc. seeks a production scheduler to manage daily production planning and scheduling systems. The application deadline is Jan 8. (Beaver JobNet ID 25731)
- Dow Corning seeks candidates for a Senior Materials Scientist – PhD level. The application deadline is Jan 10. (Beaver JobNet ID 26682)
- Ford Motor Company is seeking applicants for Manufacturing Engineer - Assembly or Test at its Livonia, Michigan, location. The application deadline is Jan. 25. (Beaver JobNet ID 2580)
- Nosler, Inc. seeks applicants for a mechanical design engineer at their Bend, Oregon, location. Responsibilities include the design of products and systems including instruments, controls, automation, mechanical assemblies, machines, and mechanical/thermal/chemical/hydraulic/or heat transfer systems. The application deadline is Jan 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 25534)
- Oracle Corporation seeks a materials/backlog planner in the department of Manufacturing - Material Planning at its Hillsboro, Oregon, location. The application deadline is Jan 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 25713)
- Oracle Corporation seeks a supply chain analyst in the department of Manufacturing – Master scheduling and ASCP Planning at its Hillsboro, Oregon, location. (Beaver JobNet ID 25712)
- Dassault Systemes seeks applicants for its Knowledge Consultant Education program. The application deadline is Jan 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 26428)
- Lowe’s is seeking applications for nationwide openings as Field Industrial Engineers in its distribution center’s management team. The application deadline is Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26848)
- Computer and Engineering Services, Inc., a technical recruiter for the automotive companies, is seeking candidates with engineering experience for its Rochester Hills, Mich., location. Applications are accepted until Feb 18. (Beaver Jobnet ID 26428)
- Advanced Mill Solutions seeks an entry level mechanical engineer for work in the building materials industry. Candidate will have a BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on electrical, fluid mechanics, heat transfer and thermodynamics. Application deadline is Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26703)
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group in Portland, Ore., seeks an entry-level project engineer. Responsibilities include project execution including line layout engineering, vendor/contractor management, equipment procurement, schedule management, project finances, site management and installation support. The application deadline is Mar. 15. (Beaver JobNet ID 26664)
- Maxim Integrated, a semiconductor manufacturer, seeks manufacturing and industrial engineering candidates for nationwide positions. The application deadline is May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25174)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- Full-time tenure track position at the assistant professor level in the mechanical engineering department at the University of Hartford. Review of applications begins immediately.
- Endowed professor or associate professor at Old Dominion University, tenured/tenure track in the areas of biophysics or biomechanics. Review of applications begins immediately.
- Assistant, associate or full professor at Old Dominion University, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, for tenure track position. Review of applications begins immediately.
- Penn State Assistant Professor in Engineering Design, tenure track faculty at assistant professor level, application deadline is Jan. 6.
- The University of Texas at Dallas (UTD) faculty positions in Mechanical Engineering at the assistant, associate, or full professor. Endowed chairs and professorships are available for highly qualified applicants. (posted Dec. 12, 2013).
- The University of Texas at Dallas (UTD) invites applications for a senior lecturer position in mechanical engineering (posted Dec. 16, 2013).
- McCormick NW Engineering, tenure track faculty position at assistant or associate professor level in computational science and engineering. Deadline is Jan. 15.
- University of South Alabama, tenure track assistant professor in mechanical engineering; application deadline is Jan. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Michigan State University has multiple tenure-stream faculty positions in computational mechanics and engineering: fluid mechanics or solid mechanics. Review of applications begins Jan. 15.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at California State University, Long Beach has a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of Solid Mechanics. Review of applications begins Jan 17.
- Colorado State, assistant professor of mechanical engineering, tenure track; deadline is Jan. 17.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at California State University, Long Beach, has a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of Solid Mechanics. Review of applications begins Jan. 17.
- Bucknell University is accepting applications for the position of Chair of Mechanical Engineering to begin summer 2014. Review of applications starts Jan. 27.
- The Mechanical Engineering department at the United States Naval Academy invites applications for multiple tenure-track positions at the assistant professor levels; associate professor will be considered for some candidates. Application deadline is Jan. 31.
- Saint Martins University School of Engineering, assistant professor of mechanical engineering, full-time tenure track position; priority deadline is Feb. 1.