This Week's Features
Daimler Trucks Research and Recruiting Lunch, RSVP Please!
Two representatives from Daimler Trucks will present "Advanced Technologies Overview at Daimler,” a discussion of their innovative industry research and their corporate commitment to sustainability. They will also discuss the company strategy for hiring talented individuals who bring a wide range of perspectives to corporate culture. The presenters are Maik Ziegler, Director, Advanced Engineering NAFTA Daimler Trucks and Derek Rotz Senior Manager, Advanced Engineering NAFTA Daimler Trucks North America. Lunch will be provided, so please RSVP. Daimler Trucks North America headquartered in Portland, is the leading medium- and heavy-duty truck manufacturer in North America.
Daimler Lunch Seminar | Wed., Jan. 29, 12 pm | Weniger Hall 116
FIRST Robotics Members and Alumni! Get Involved, Stay Involved…
FIRST Robotics is looking for active members and former members – anyone who may have experienced and LOVED! – a FIRST competition in middle- or high-school years. FIRST Robotics would like volunteers to become event organizers and mentors for students at the Feb. 8 FIRST Robotics Challenge. As well, this group aims to promote mentorship and stay organized as a resource for future FIRST activities in the area. Contact Molly Stieber for details.
FIRST Robotics Alumni Group | Wed., Jan. 29, 6 pm | KEC 1007
Dairy Products Technology Studies on Tuesday
Thomas Johnson, program manager from California Polytechnic State University Cal Poly's professional studies program in dairy products technology will speak this week on the engineering opportunities in the dairy industry. Johnson is recruiting for Cal Poly’s one-year master program.
Dairy Products Technology Seminar | Tues., Jan 28, 1 pm | 104 Wiegand Hall
Winter Term Study Tables at The HUB
Because two brains are better than one -- the winter schedule for HUB study tables is now posted. The courses covered are MTH 251/252; CH 231/232 (may be useful for CH 201/202 students, also); ECE 112; ENGR 201; ENGR 202; ENGR 211.
Mark Your Calendar
MIDTERMS ARE COMING – Test Prep and Stress Workshop
With midterms approaching, the COE academic coaches have organized a workshop covering techniques to help prepare effectively your upcoming exams, as well as test-day strategies to overcome stress. Presenters are Dr. Emmy Woessner from OSU’s Counseling & Psychological Services and the COE Academic Coaches. Free snacks...
Test Prep Workshop | Tues., Jan. 38, 5 pm | KEC 1007
Upcoming Elections for IIE and SME Groups
The IIE and SME student chapters have more than 20 officer positions open in their upcoming elections. The groups are planning joint officer elections on Tuesday, Feb. 4 at 6 pm in ROG 226. Visit the OSU IIE and SME websites for a listing of current officer positions.
Chapter Elections | Tues., Feb 4, 6 pm | Rogers 230
Johnson Controls Industry Presentation with IE Alum
SME has invited Jacob Fowler, a 2013 OSU IE graduate, for a Johnson Controls, Inc. industry presentation night. Fowler will discuss his position and opportunities for engineering students in the construction (specifically HVAC systems) industry. Free pizza and drinks.
Johnson Controls Industry Presentation | Tues., Jan. 28, 6 pm | Rogers 226
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer: This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Helpers Needed for “Scientist Within" Conference
The "Discovering the Scientist Within" program is Saturday, Feb. 15, at various locations on the OSU campus. Organizers are looking for volunteers to be mentors for the girls, student representatives during parent sessions, and floating helpers. Spanish speakers are greatly needed. The event is designed to encourage girls in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades to keep their interest in the sciences and engineering. Please contact Emily Nicholson of Precollege Programs at email@example.com to get involved.
AIAA Student Conference in Sacramento
The 2014 AIAA Region VI Student Conference Presentations will be March 1-2 at the California State University, Sacramento. Presentations will be delivered to peers, professors, local professionals, and a select panel of judges for the purpose of winning awards and cash prizes. Thomas Morgenfeld, X-35 Test Pilot, will be the distinguished lecturer. Students who wish to gain exposure and recognition for their research should contact Roberto Albertani, MIME faculty and AIAA student chapter advisor.
Willamette Valley Engineering Banquet
Tickets Willamette Valley Engineers Week Banquet sponsored by Willamette Valley Section of SWE (Society of Women Engineers) should purchase their tickets by Monday, Feb. 17. Bret Liebeno, Senior Director of IHM Engineering at Nike will speak. Register online at https://sites.google.com/site/wvsorswe/activites-calendar/banquet. Tickets are $35.00 per person.
Willamette Valley Engineers Week Banquet | Wed., Feb. 26, 2014 | 6:00 pm | CH2M Hill Alumni Center
Green Empowerment Annual Fundraising Dinner
Dr. Kendra Sharp will be a guest speaker on Feb. 10 at the first of two fundraiser dinners for Green Empowerment’s 8th Annual Benefit Dinner at Andina Restaurant in Portland's Pearl District. The group is focused on providing rural communities in the developing world with access to clean water, electricity through renewable energy, and other sustainable solutions. Dr. Sharp will speak about her experiences on a Green Empowerment service learning trip, as well as other joint educational programming with Oregon State. There are two nights of dinners, Feb 10 and Feb .11. Tickets for either evening are $150 per person and available online. Advance purchase is recommended for the sell-out evenings.
Green Empowerment | Feb 10-11, 2014 | Andina Restaurant in Portland
Scholarships, Fellowships and Research Internships
NASA Internship Deadline Approaches
The NASA LARSS Internship program is accepting applications for its paid research, internship program for undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). The deadline for Summer 2014 is Feb 1.
Summer Marine Science Internships
Oregon State University is offering summer marine science internships to 20 college students through its Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program at the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport and College of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences in Corvallis. The 10-week program matches qualified students with faculty mentors representing a range of ocean science research interests. The Hatfield Marine Science Center (HMSC) is a 49-acre research and education campus on Oregon's central coast, with modern laboratory facilities, a world-class marine science library, and six state and federal agencies co-located on site.
What: 10-week summer program, June 16 - August 22, 2014 | Stipend $5650, onsite housing, round-trip travel costs More Info: http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/REU/index.html
Deadline: Feb. 3, 2014 by 5 PM PST
Computing Research REU
University of North Carolina, Charlotte, seeks applicants for its Socially Relevant Computing Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU). Any students interested in participating in this exciting research opportunity in Charlotte, NC. The program runs from May 31, 2014 - Aug. 2, and the application deadline is Feb. 21.
University of Maryland REU Center
The University of Maryland Robotics Center is seeking applicants to its 2014 NSF-sponsored Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program. Selected participants will receive a $5,000 stipend and some funding is available for on-campus housing and travel support. The application deadline is Feb. 23.
Wanted: The Best and Brightest in Hydropower
The Hydro Research Foundation's 2014 Research Awards Program fund up to 20 research awards. These project funding can be as high as $32,800 annually for a one- or two-year research project. The funds are open to graduate students who will complete their Masters degree or post-Masters research by May 2016. Deadline: March 5.
- The EWB Kenya Project Travel Application is now available. Applications are due on Feb. 2 by the end of the day. The application on the Kenya Project Page is titled “Traveler Application 2014.”
- The SME Education Foundation scholarship is open for the 2014-2015 school year. The application is due by Feb. 1.
- Amgen Scholars US Program, for undergraduate research opportunities application deadline is Feb. 3
- The Dwight Look College of Engineering at Texas A&M University seeks applicants to the 2014 Undergraduate Summer Research Grant (USRG) Program. The application can be found at http://easa.tamu.edu/usrg. Deadline: Feb. 10.
- Environmental Health Research Program and University of Washington; application deadline is Feb.14.
- The Environmental Health Research Experience Program (EHREP) is a funded, nine week, summer research program for undergraduates. The deadline is Feb. 14.
- The OSU Undergraduate scholarship application is open and ready for your application. The deadline is Feb. 15.
- Society of Women engineers scholarships for 2014-2015. Application deadline is Feb. 17.
- The Center for Sustainable Materials Chemistry Summer Research Program for undergraduates is a 9 week summer research program in sustainable materials science. Research positions are available in Chemistry, Physics, and Engineering. Students receive a $4000 stipend, and the application deadline is Feb. 28.
- Undergraduate Research at the Nano-Bio Interface - University of Pennsylvania is designed to give undergraduate students the opportunity to work with nanoscale research scientists. Participants will receive a $5000 stipend. Applications are due Feb. 28.
- The American Society of Naval Engineers (ASNE) is accepting applicants for undergraduate Future Naval Engineers. Apply by Feb. 28.
- Buick Achievers of 2014 is now accepting applications for undergraduates who major in a field of study that focuses on engineering, technology, design or business, with an interest in the automotive industry. The deadline is Feb. 28, 5 pm.
- Texas A&M University will be hosting a National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program from June 2 - August 8, 2014, with sessions coverings mechatronics, robotics, and automated system design. Each participant receives a stipend of $500/week for participation in the program. The deadline is March 7.
Engineering Scholarship Resource
To search for potential engineering scholarship sources and browse through a host of information relevant to earning your engineering degree and professional license, visit EngineeringDegree.com.
OSU subscribes to Grant Forward, a software service useful for research grant seekers and graduate students. The service, which requires users to set up an account profile, retrieves new postings from numerous funding agencies on a daily basis, and then tags the posting with the appropriate category, deadline, sponsor type, status, submission type and keywords.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Recruiting for a Project Engineer
Search North America seeks applicants for a Division Project Engineer position with a major integrated forest products firm. Project assignments at multi-mill sites in the US require 60% travel. The project engineer will be located either at a mill site in Pacific NW or in the Upper Midwest. Contact Carl Jensen at firstname.lastname@example.org for information. Telephone is 541-593-2777
TE Medical in Wilsonville
TE Connectivity’s TE Medical has openings for several engineering position at its Wilsonville, Ore., facility. Interested applicants may also contact Keith K. Daellenbach, email@example.com Phone: 503-673-5065 for information about the positions
- Cable Development Engineer
- Product Development Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Quality Engineers
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings. Newly posted opportunities are listed first and then in order of closing date:
- Dassault Systemes seeks applicants for its Knowledge Consultant Education program. The application deadline is Jan 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 26428)
- Bemis Company, Inc. seeks mechanical/manufacturing engineering interns for 6-month paid positions at their Bemis-Vancouver, WA manufacturing plant. The application deadline is Feb. 11. (Beaver JobNet ID 26567)
- Lowe’s is seeking applications for nationwide openings as Field Industrial Engineers in its distribution center’s management team. The application deadline is Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26848)
- Advanced Mill Solutions seeks a process engineer (mechanical engineer) at its Eugene, Ore., location. Applications are accepted until Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26703
- Computer and Engineering Services, Inc., a technical recruiter for the automotive companies, is seeking candidates with engineering experience for its Rochester Hills, Mich., location. Applications are accepted until Feb 18. (Beaver Jobnet ID 26428)
- The School of Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering has openings for five part-time research assistants. Applications are accepted until Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26755)
- Advanced Mill Solutions seeks an entry level mechanical engineer for work in the building materials industry. Candidate will have a BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on electrical, fluid mechanics, heat transfer and thermodynamics. Application deadline is Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26703)
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group in Portland, Ore., seeks an entry-level project engineer. Responsibilities include project execution including line layout engineering, vendor/contractor management, equipment procurement, schedule management, project finances, site management and installation support. The application deadline is Mar. 15. (Beaver JobNet ID 26664)
- Near Space Corporation seeks a UAS flight test engineer at its Tillamook, Ore., location. Applications are accepted until March 26. (Beaver JobNet ID 25959)
- Maxim Integrated, a semiconductor manufacturer, seeks manufacturing and industrial engineering candidates for nationwide positions. The application deadline is May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25174)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions