Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
January 19, 2016
This Week's Features
Dr. Karl Haapala receives SMART Coordination Network Award
Dr. Karl Haapala has received an award to develop an educational module on sustainable additive manufacturing along with his students, Amin Mirkouei and Hari Nagarajan. The module will contribute to a set of sustainable manufacturing case studies (SMCSs) within the NSF Sustainable Manufacturing Advances in Research and Technology (SMART) Coordination Network. A primary objective of the network is to bridge the gap between the academic knowledge discovery and industrial technology innovation for sustainable manufacturing. Educational modules are available for download from http://cache.org/teaching-resources-center
Diversity Career Symposium Attracts Top Employers
Oregon State University has partnered the University of Oregon to host the 2016 Diversity Career Symposium. DCS is a day-long career development event for students who identify with communities who are traditionally underrepresented on campus and in professional settings. Throughout the day, students, alumni and employers will engage in professional development workshops, hear from inspiring speakers and connect with each other through several networking opportunities. More than 70 employers such as Intel, Adidas, Providence Health and Services, Portland General Electric, Wieden+Kennedy, Peace Corps., Wells Fargo, Central Intelligence Agency and Apple, Inc. are participating.
The Diversity Career Symposium is free for all students, and transportation from Corvallis will be provided. Please register to attend. If you have questions, contact Jason.Dorsette@oregonstate.edu or Oscar.Montemayor@oregonstate.edu.
Diversity Career Symposium | DATE: Fri., Jan 29 | TIME: 9 am to 6 pm | PLACE: Salem Convention Center
Engineering Banquet; Register for a Sponsored Ticket
You are invited to attend the annual Willamette Valley Engineers Week Banquet. Due to the support of the College, individuals and corporations, the event organizers will offer between 10 and 30 sponsored tickets for engineering students. The banquet is sponsored by Willamette Valley Section of SWE. A networking hour will be from 5-6 pm in the lobby. The keynote speaker is Dr. Alice Agogino, the Roscoe and Elizabeth Hughes Professor of Mechanical Engineering at UC Berkeley and director of the BEST Lab. To sign up to receive a ticket, please fill out this Google Form. By filling out the form, you are committing to attend the Willamette Valley Engineers Week Banquet. Tickets are limited and will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis. All students, graduate and undergraduate, are welcome to sign up.
SWE Engineering Banquet | DATE: Mon., Feb. 22 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: CH2M Hill Alumni Center
IEEE Intel Day is Tomorrow!
Intel Day (which is structured much like “office hours”) will take place in KEC 1005 and 1007 from 11-3 on Wednesday, Jan. 20 for a program in which students can meet Intel engineers, and ask questions about their experiences. They also have a technical talk from 5-7 in KEC 1001.
Mark Your Calendar
Humanitarian Engineering – Guatemala Study Abroad Opportunity
Students interested in the Spring/Summer term academic course “Household Energy in Guatemala: Technology, Environment, & Society,” should attend the Jan. 25 info session. The course consists of an on-campus preparatory class followed by a 3-credit, 10-day field trip from June 12-24. It will be led by Dr. Nordica A. MacCarty, Asst. Prof. of Mechanical Engineering, and Dr. Elizabeth Schroeder, Asst. Prof. of Economics.
HEST Guatemala Night | Mon., Jan. 25 | TIME: 6 - 7 pm | PLACE: Stag 111
Daimler to Give Talk about Truck Production
Daimler Industrial Engineering Manager Jeremy Tyger will visit campus next week to speak to engineering students. Tyger in his presentation will describe how engineering at Daimler worked with production to change the process and the culture of how trucks were built. He will show where and how the team changed production in order to build a better car.
Daimler Production Talk | DATE: Tues., Jan. 26 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: Kearney 112
Humanitarian Engineering -- Learn All About HEST
Learn about newly launched Humanitarian Engineering minor (look for the "HEST" acronym for courses and details) at this informational session early next month. The HEST mission is to cultivate science and engineering-based solutions that provide access to basic human needs, enhance quality of life and advance the level of community resilience in the local and global community. The event will bring together faculty representatives from the different schools and colleges that contribute to this dynamic new multidisciplinary program. Food provided; questions answered.
HEST Info Night | Wed., Feb. 3 | TIME: 5 - 6.30 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
MPRL Opening Hours – Winter Term, Week 3
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – closed (MLK Day) | Tuesday – 8 am - 9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Scholarships and Fellowships
Schoenstein Sustaining Excellence Scholarship
The OSU Alumni Association and the Department of Student Leadership & Involvement - Center for Leadership Development are accepting nominations and applications for the Schoenstein Sustaining Excellence Scholarship. This fund provides scholarships for OSU students in their sophomore, junior, or senior year who are actively involved with activities beyond class work, demonstrating they are well-rounded, contributing members of the OSU community. The Schoenstein Sustaining Excellence Scholarship Fund will award four (4) students a onetime scholarship in the amount of $1,000. Application deadline: Jan. 25.
Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program
Penn State’s Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering is accepting applications for an outstanding undergraduate summer research program in the nuclear field at Penn State—the Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program. The program is a 10-week paid summer program that provides an opportunity for undergraduates to obtain hands-on research experience and professional development. Students will work closely with a faculty mentor on a state-of-the-art nuclear research project, and will have terrific opportunities to network with industry representatives and participate in site visits to locations such as Three Mile Island. Apply by Jan. 31.
Materials Science Research Experience for Undergraduates
The Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) at Northwestern University offers a 9-week paid summer Research Experience for Undergraduates program. The NU-MRSEC stands out in offering students an interdisciplinary research experience. This opportunity is open to all physics, chemistry, engineering and materials science students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Apply by Feb. 15.
OSU College of Engineering Scholarship: Apply by Feb. 15
The online application for the College of Engineering Scholarship is available until February 15. Your application will be reviewed by both the College and your specific program to see if you are eligible for scholarship funds within the College for 2016-2017 academic year. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Student Services by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 541-737-5236.
AREVA Inc. Scholarship
The Eastern Washington Section of the Society of Women Engineers and AREVA Inc. offer a financial assistance scholarship of $1,000. This scholarship provides financial assistance to individuals admitted to accredited undergraduate or graduate programs, in preparation for careers in engineering in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho states. The application is due in late February 2016 and selection will be made in late March 2016.
Hydro Research Foundation Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation is leading the Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. The awards – which include a living stipend of up to $18,000 and a tuition-and-allowance of up to $10,000 – are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. In 2016, the Foundation anticipates making one-year awards to between 4-10 students. Applications are due March 14, 2016, for appointments beginning June 2016 for one-year funding.
Job and Internship Opportunities
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- DWFritz Automation seeks a Controls Software Engineer (New College Grad) - Robotics, C#, Machine Automation Location: Wilsonville, OR Job ad expires on: 1/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9179
- AAA Metal Fabrication seeks a Design/Mechanical Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 1/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8797
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks Domestic Nuclear Detection Office (DNDO) Summer Interns Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 1/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9660
- Milone & MacBroom seeks a Water Resource Engineer Location: New Paltz, New York Job ad expires on: 1/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8953
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group seeks a Project Engineer - Entry Level Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 1/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9310
- Target Corporation seeks a Distribution Operations Intern Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 1/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7119
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 1/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9332
- The Pennsylvania State University seeks a Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program Location: State College, PA Job ad expires on: 2/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8502
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Supplier Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8570
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Maxim Job Requisition# 565BR Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9428
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer. Maxim Job Requisition# 564BR Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9429
- Columbia Cascade Company seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 2/5/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9442
- Hewlett Packard seeks an Industrial Engineering Intern Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 2/9/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9510
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Associate Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6292
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Future Leader Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9937
- Rubicon International offers a Rubicon Internship Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9728
- NAVAIR - Patuxent River seeks a Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) Aviation Cost Analyst Location: Pautxent River, MD Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9736
- Linn County General Services seeks an Interior Drafting Intern Location: Albany, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9742
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9762
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9763
- Nan Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu, HI Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9782
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership offers Internship Opportunities (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9861
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership offers Engineering Internships (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9863
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services (Unmanned Arial Systems) Intern 2016 Location: Fort Worth, TX Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9839
- BNSF Railway seeks an Engineering Intern 2016 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9841
- BNSF Railway seeks a Mechanical (Engineering) Intern 2016 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9842
- Wabash National seeks a Continuous Improvement Coordinator Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9920
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks an Operations Management Development Program Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9968
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education offers Research Experiences/Internships Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States, Morgantown, West Virginia United States, Albany, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 5160
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory offers University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7962
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8675
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8676
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Supply Chain Management Rotational Program Location: Beaverton, OR; San Jose, CA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8679
- WaferTech offers Engineering Internships Location: Camas, WA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9760
- Xerox seeks a Process Engineer - Chemical (New College Hire) Location: Wilsonville, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9550
- Texas Instruments seeks a Manufacturing Supervisor Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9697
- Trillium Technical seeks a mechanical engineer (automotive industry) Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan Job ad expires on: 4/7/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 5884
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Mechanical Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9414
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9416
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) Operations Management Training Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9412
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9413
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- Auburn University has multiple, open area, tenure-track faculty positions in Aerospace Engineering (including an endowed professorship). Open until filled.
- The University of West Florida is starting a new Mechanical Engineering program in the fall of 2016 and seeks three faculty members this spring. Instructor Position (Fort Walton Beach): https://jobs.uwf.edu/postings/3697. Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering - Thermal Systems (Pensacola): https://jobs.uwf.edu/postings/3688. Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering - Materials/Manufacturing/Design (Pensacola):https://jobs.uwf.edu/postings/3703.
- The Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering at the New Jersey Institute of Technology has tenure-track faculty openings in 1. Micro/Nano Mechanics, and 2. Computational Fluid Mechanics.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of New Mexico invites applications for a full-time positions in the area of analysis, design, and optimization of energy systems and networks. Apply by Feb. 1. at unmjobs.unm.edu (0832874)
- Bucknell University is seeking to hire more than one visiting assistant professor for the 2016-17 academic year various areas such as thermo-fluids, dynamics, solid mechanics, CAD and solid modeling (SolidWorks-based), and/or mechanical design. Apply by Feb. 1.
- Blekinge Institute of Technology seeks a senior lecturer at the Department of Strategic Sustainable Development in Karlskrona, Sweden. The position comprises research and pedagogical work within the field strategic sustainable development with a focus on sustainable product- and service innovation. Reference number: BTH 3.1.1-0375-2015. Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at George Mason University (GMU) seeks a Senior Administrator (associate chair) at the rank of Associate Professor or Full Professor. Apply by Feb. 15.
- NEW -- Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) has multiple faculty open positions in Design, Manufacturing, and Thermofluid Sciences. To apply, please submit a detailed curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching interests and philosophy, and a list of at least three references to Scupi_Faculty@scu.edu.cn. Apply by Feb. 27.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- UCLA, the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.