This Week's Features
Students: Free Tickets to the Engineering Banquet!
The College of Engineering has between 10 and 30 free tickets to the Willamette Valley Engineers Week Banquet. The tickets come from individual and corporation donors, making them freee to OSU engineering students to attend the banquet. The banquet, sponsored by Willamette Valley Section of SWE (Society of Women Engineers), will be held on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm at the CH2M Hill Alumni Center on campus. Bret Liebeno, Senior Director of IHM Engineering at Nike, will be the speaker. To sign up to receive a ticket, see Cate Olson in Batcheller 151. Tickets will be issued first-come, first-served basis.
Willamette Valley Engineers Week Banquet | Wed., Feb. 26, 2014 | 6:00 pm | CH2M Hill Alumni Center
Faculty and Staff: Order (Purchase) your Tickets to the Engineering Banquet!
Faculty and staff interested in attending the Willamette Valley Engineers Week Banquet sponsored by Willamette Valley Section of SWE (Society of Women Engineers) should purchase their tickets by Monday, Feb. 17. Registrations can be made online at https://sites.google.com/site/wvsorswe/activites-calendar/banquet. Tickets are $35.00 per person.
Willamette Valley Engineers Week Banquet | Wed., Feb. 26, 2014 | 6:00 pm | CH2M Hill Alumni Center
Dr. Doolen Named Society for Health Systems Diplomate
The Society for Health Systems has named Dr. Toni Doolen, MIME Professor and Dean, University Honors College, as a member of its SHS Diplomates. The elite status award comes in recognition of Doolen's contributions to industrial engineering and healthcare communities. She is one of 56 recognized with this honor.
OSU MRS Gets Award from National Society
Dr. Julie Tucker, Dr. Jay Kruzic, and graduate student Michelle Jennings attended the annual Materials Research Society meeting in Boston last month. The OSU trio were on hand to receive an award for their newly formed MRS Student Chapter here at OSU.
Winter Term Start-up Advising Schedule and Class Changes
MIME Undergraduate Advising has walk-in hours for students during the first two weeks of Winter term. Walk-in hours during Week No. 2 are: 3-4:30 pm, Monday through Friday. With regard to the Winter term academic calendar, please note that the last day to drop a class via internet is Friday, Jan. 17 at 11:55 pm.
Mark Your Calendar
Ask Questions about Energy Systems Engineering with OSU-Cascades Dr. Feuerbacher
Dr. Robin Feuerbacher Energy Systems Engineering program lead from OSU-Cascades will lead two informational sessions this week for Engineeing Awareness Week, and also conduct drop-in office hours on Friday, Jan 17, 11 am to noon in Dearborn 308. Appointments can also be scheduled with him. Please email or call 541-322-3181 if you’d like an appointment.
ME Schedule for Engineering Awareness Week
Monday, January 13, 2014 (today) | 6:00 - 7:00 pm | 118 Dearborn Hall
Monday, January 13, 2014 (today) 7:00 - 8:00 pm | 118 Dearborn Hall
Industrial Engineering & Manufacturing Engineering Schedule for Engineering Awareness Week
Wednesday, January 15, 2014 | 6:00 - 7:00 pm | 212 Kearney Hall
Wednesday, January 15, 2014 | 7:00 - 8:00 pm | 212 Kearney Hall
ESE Schedule for Engineering Awareness Week
Thursday, January 16, 2014 | 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm | 101 Owen Hall
Thursday, January 16, 2014 | 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm | 101 Owen Hall
oSTEM Group for LGBTQA Kick-off Meetings
The goal of oSTEM, a group to empower and connect LGBTQA individuals within STEM majors, is launching with two informational sessions. Learn more at one of the pizza-catered interests sessions. if you have questions about the group developing here at OSU, please email oSTEM@oregonstate.edu or visit the oSTEM Facebook group for more information at facebook.com/ostem.osu
Launch of oSTEM | January 14 or 15 | 6 pm | Kelley Room 1007
CNC seminar in MIME Product Realization Lab
A CNC seminar will be held in the MIME Product Realization Lab January 20, 21 and 23, 5:00 – 8:00 pm. The seminar will cover basic CNC programming using G-code and operation of the Bridgeport EZ Trak, VMC15 and VMC4525 Fadal Milling Machines. Students who wish to receive their shop CNC qualification should attend. Reserve your seat by emailing Brian Jensen (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible; the seminar will be limited to 10 people.
Target Recruiting Event
Target Corporation will come to the OSU campus on Jan 15 to promote their career and internship opportunities starting in spring and fall. Students are welcome to apply for positions to gain experience in management, operations, and engineering.
Target Recruiting | Jan. 15 | 12 – 2 pm | Memorial Union Room 208
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer: This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
FE Review Course offered through IIE
This course is designed to assist students who are studying for the FE Exam. Beginning Week 2 of winter term, the lectures will be offered twice a week on consecutive nights for eight weeks by accredited OSU professors. The subjects covered are Electrical Fundamentals (Jan. 15 & 16), Statics (Jan. 22 & 23), Strength of Materials (Jan. 29 & 30), Materials Science (Feb. 5 & 6), Thermodynamics (Feb. 12 & 13), Fluid Mechanics (Feb. 19 & 20), Dynamics (Feb. 26 & 27), and Engineering Economy (Mar. 5 & 6). Nearly 100 percent of students who have enrolled in this course have passed the FE exam. The cost of the class is $100 and students may register up until Jan 16. Sign up online or contact email@example.com with any questions. All sessions are held from 7pm-9pm in OWEN 102. Dates and topics subject to change.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Research Internships
- Currently enrolled college sophomores or juniors pursuing studies in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) may apply for the Intertek Scholarship Program. The five scholarship winners of up to $10,000 will be announced March 2014. The deadline is Jan. 17.
- The SME Education Foundation scholarship is now open for the 2014-2015 school year. The application is due by Feb. 1.
- Amgen Scholars US Program, for undergraduate research opportunities application deadline is Feb. 3
- The Dwight Look College of Engineering at Texas A&M University seeks applicants to the 2014 Undergraduate Summer Research Grant (USRG) Program. Additional information and the application can be found at http://easa.tamu.edu/usrg. Deadline: Feb. 10.
- The OSU Undergraduate scholarship application is open and ready for your application. Last year engineering students at OSU received approximately 10 million dollars in assistance. The deadline is Feb. 15.
- Undergraduate Research at the Nano-Bio Interface - University of Pennsylvania is designed to give undergraduate students the opportunity to work with nanoscale research scientists. Participants will receive a $5000 stipend. Applications are due Feb. 28.
- Buick Achievers of 2014 is now accepting applications for undergraduates who major in a field of study that focuses on engineering, technology, design or business, with an interest in the automotive industry. The deadline is Feb. 28, 5 pm.
Engineering Scholarship Resource
To search for potential engineering scholarship sources and browse through a host of information relevant to earning your engineering degree and professional license, visit EngineeringDegree.com.
OSU subscribes to Grant Forward, a software service useful for research grant seekers and graduate students. The service, which requires users to set up an account profile, retrieves new postings from numerous funding agencies on a daily basis, and then tags the posting with the appropriate category, deadline, sponsor type, status, submission type and keywords.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Have you studied abroad? Share your knowledge with other engineering students through a campus job in Batcheller Hall. COE Undergraduate Programs is currently hiring two Study Abroad Student Coordinator positions to work out of the HUB, beginning this term. Please feel free to distribute the attached (and linked here) job description in your respective departments.
Bemis Company, Inc. seeks mechanical/manufacturing engineering interns for 6-month paid positions at their Bemis-Vancouver, WA manufacturing plant. The application deadline is Feb. 11. (Beaver JobNet ID 26567)
The School of Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering has openings for five part-time research assistants. Applications are accepted until Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26755)
Near Space Corporation seeks a UAS flight test engineer at its Tillamook, Ore., location. Applications are accepted until March 26. (Beaver JobNet ID 25959)
Portland-based start-up medical company Impact Medical is seeking mechanical engineering and manufacturing engineering candidates to fill an immediate opening for the position of Director of Engineering. Interested candidates should contact Lore@impactmedicalco.com and submit their CVs.
TE Connectivity’s TE Medical has openings for several engineering position at its Wilsonville, Ore., facility. Interested applicants may also contact Keith K. Daellenbach, firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 503-673-5065 for information about the positions
- Cable Development Engineer
- Product Development Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Quality Engineers
The OSU Energy Efficiency Center is hiring sophomore, junior, and senior engineering students with excellent technical aptitude. For more information visit: http://mime.oregonstate.edu/facilities/eec. To apply: download application: http://eec.engr.oregonstate.edu/downloads/Job%20Application.doc. Email the completed application to: email@example.com (Include a cover letter in body of email and attach a resume if you have one.)
The Catalyst, OSU's journal on research and creative efforts of undergraduates, is seeking three co-editors. Students of any major with an expected graduation date no earlier than spring 2015 may apply. Ideal applicants will have experience working with InDesign or other page layout software.Please send a resume and a letter of introduction to Kevin Ahern at firstname.lastname@example.org with the words "Catalyst Editor" in the subject line. The deadline is Jan. 24.
Target Corp. seeks a Systems Engineer at its Albany distribution center. Direct questions about the position to Jennifer.Reidy@target.com
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings. Newly posted opportunities are listed first and then in order of closing date:
- Carestream Health’s Dry Film Coating Group, in White City, Oregon has an opening for a systems technician to provide technical support for Process and Product Engineering groups. (Beaver JobNet ID 26170)
- Mainstream Engineering Corporation seeks a Mechanical R&D Intern at its Rockledge, Fla. location Applications are accepted until Jan. 20. (Beaver JobNet ID 25982)
- Ford Motor Company is seeking applicants for Manufacturing Engineer - Assembly or Test at its Livonia, Michigan, location. The application deadline is Jan. 25. (Beaver JobNet ID 2580)
- Nosler, Inc. seeks applicants for a mechanical design engineer at their Bend, Oregon, location. Responsibilities include the design of products and systems including instruments, controls, automation, mechanical assemblies, machines, and mechanical/thermal/chemical/hydraulic/or heat transfer systems. The application deadline is Jan 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 25534)
- Oracle Corporation seeks a materials/backlog planner in the department of Manufacturing - Material Planning at its Hillsboro, Oregon, location. The application deadline is Jan 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 25713)
- Oracle Corporation seeks a supply chain analyst in the department of Manufacturing – Master scheduling and ASCP Planning at its Hillsboro, Oregon, location. (Beaver JobNet ID 25712)
- Dassault Systemes seeks applicants for its Knowledge Consultant Education program. The application deadline is Jan 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 26428)
- Lowe’s is seeking applications for nationwide openings as Field Industrial Engineers in its distribution center’s management team. The application deadline is Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26848)
- Advanced Mill Solutions seeks a process engineer (mechanical engineer) at its Eugene, Ore., location. Applications are accepted until Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26703)
- Computer and Engineering Services, Inc., a technical recruiter for the automotive companies, is seeking candidates with engineering experience for its Rochester Hills, Mich., location. Applications are accepted until Feb 18. (Beaver Jobnet ID 26428)
- Advanced Mill Solutions seeks an entry level mechanical engineer for work in the building materials industry. Candidate will have a BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on electrical, fluid mechanics, heat transfer and thermodynamics. Application deadline is Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26703)
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group in Portland, Ore., seeks an entry-level project engineer. Responsibilities include project execution including line layout engineering, vendor/contractor management, equipment procurement, schedule management, project finances, site management and installation support. The application deadline is Mar. 15. (Beaver JobNet ID 26664)
- Maxim Integrated, a semiconductor manufacturer, seeks manufacturing and industrial engineering candidates for nationwide positions. The application deadline is May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25174)
- Safeway seeks applicants to its summer paid internship in manufacutring internshjip. Applications are accepted until May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25386)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The University of Texas at Dallas (UTD) faculty positions in Mechanical Engineering at the assistant, associate, or full professor. Endowed chairs and professorships are available for highly qualified applicants. (posted Dec. 12, 2013).
- The University of Texas at Dallas (UTD) invites applications for a senior lecturer position in mechanical engineering (posted Dec. 16, 2013).
- McCormick NW Engineering, tenure track faculty position at assistant or associate professor level in computational science and engineering. Deadline is Jan. 15.
- University of South Alabama, tenure track assistant professor in mechanical engineering; application deadline is Jan. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Michigan State University has multiple tenure-stream faculty positions in computational mechanics and engineering: fluid mechanics or solid mechanics. Review of applications begins Jan. 15.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at California State University, Long Beach has a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of Solid Mechanics. Review of applications begins Jan 17.
- Colorado State, assistant professor of mechanical engineering, tenure track; deadline is Jan. 17.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at California State University, Long Beach, has a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of Solid Mechanics. Review of applications begins Jan. 17.
- Bucknell University is accepting applications for the position of Chair of Mechanical Engineering to begin summer 2014. Review of applications starts Jan. 27.
- The Mechanical Engineering department at the United States Naval Academy invites applications for multiple tenure-track positions at the assistant professor levels; associate professor will be considered for some candidates. Application deadline is Jan. 31.
- Saint Martins University School of Engineering, assistant professor of mechanical engineering, full-time tenure track position; priority deadline is Feb. 1.
- Lamar University has an opening for an assistant professor in the Department of Industrial Engineering beginning Fall 2014. For full consideration submit application materials by March 15.
- South Dakota State University has an opening for two assistant professors of Mechanical Engineering. For full consideration submit application materials by March 21.