Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
April 4, 2016
This Week's Features
Thursday -- Energy Systems Engineering -- Learn All About It
Learn about Oregon State’s ABET-accredited Energy Systems Engineering degree program offered at OSU-Cascades in Bend when faculty visit Corvallis for an informational session this week. The ESE B.S. degree is a hybrid of mechanical and industrial engineering with a focus on energy efficiencies and clean alternatives. Dr. Robin Feuerbacher, ESE program lead & assistant professor, will present an update on the ESE program including internship opportunities and job placement. Pizza provided; questions added.
ESE Info Session | DATE: Thurs., April 7 | TIME: 6-7 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Pro-School Summer Application is Open
The Pro-School application for summer term admissions has been opened and all applications are due by 11:55pm on Sat., April 30. As well, the college will be hosting two pro-school application workshops:
Mon., April 25 (4:00-5:00pm) in KEARNEY 305
Tues., April 26 (4:00-5:00pm) in KEARNEY 112
If you have any questions please refer the Pro-School FAQ page, or contact the Office of Student Services by calling 541-737-5236, or stopping by the office at Batcheller 151.
ME Sophomore Wins Ecampus T-Shirt Design Contest
Congratulations to mechanical engineering sophomore Francisco Boschetti Tofano - winner of the Ecampus 2016 Summer Session T–shirt Design Contest. Francisco takes away the grand prize with his winning T-shirt: a $1,000 scholarship toward campus-based summer courses in Corvallis or at the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport. As well, he’ll get to see the summer session students wearing his design at classes this summer. Nice job!
Check Out The CO• Makers Symposium and Maker Fair
Kick off spring term by joining The CO• at the STEM to STEAM Symposium on Friday, April 8 from 4 pm to 6 pm in the Learning Innovation Center, Room 100. Join thinkers, makers, doers, and dreamers with local, state, regional, and national perspectives as they unpack the benefits of hands-on learning. This unique symposium provides six experts in making with the opportunity to explore how the arts can, and do, complement a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) curriculum, including Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Dr. Bryony DuPont.
The CO• annual Maker Fair is the next day -- Saturday, April 9 from 10 am to 3 pm in the Memorial Union Ballroom and the Student Experience Center Plaza. Join makers, hackers, innovators, and artists from Oregon State, Corvallis, Eugene, Albany, Portland, and Seattle as they illustrate what making means to them. Build and test M&M launchers with the professional tinkerers at HP, help build a longboard with Michael Town, a high school Physics and Engineering teacher e a bunch of questions about his one-of-a-kind wooden bike helmets, or check out fabrication design tools with the OSU Oceanography Fab Shop.
Mark Your Calendar
Woodshop Safety Seminars This Week
The Machining Product Realization Lab will be holding two Woodshop Safety seminars this week: Wed., April 6 at 3 pm and Thurs., April 7 at 4 pm. The classes are 1.5 hours long, and all attendees must have an ME 250 name tag. The seminar has seating for 15 people in each session, so please email Darin.Kempton@oregonstate.edu with information on which session you'd like to attend to reserve your place.
Woodshop Safety | DATES: Wed., April 6, 3 pm Thurs., April 7, 4 pm | PLACE: Rogers 106
College of Science Distinguished Lecture on Diversity and Inclusion
The College of Science's spring 2016 Distinguished Lecture and reception features Shirley Malcom, Head of Education and Human Resources Programs for the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Dr. Malcom will discuss “Diversity and Inclusion: Grand Challenges for Science and Engineering.” An international leader in improving access of girls and women to education and careers in science and engineering, Malcom works to improve the quality and increase access to education and careers in STEM fields as well as to enhance public science literacy. Her talk will focus on key diversity issues facing STEM fields as we prepare the next generation of leaders in science.
Diversity and Inclusion Distinguished Lecture | DATE: Mon., April 4 | TIME: 4.30 pm | LaSells Stewart Center
MPRL Opening Hours – Spring Term, Week Two
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 2 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 12 - 9 pm | Wednesday – 2 - 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 12 - 9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Women in EECS Student and Faculty Social
The "Women in EECS Student and Faculty Social" invites students interested in exploring more about computer science and electrical engineering. The social is tomorrow, April 5, from 4 to 6 pm in 1005 and 1007 KEC, giving the opportunitt to meet other women in this field. All majors are welcome. Meet with faculty, students, and enjoy fabulous food!
START SMART Salary Negotiation Workshop
Learning successful negotiation of a starting salary (and other benefits) can have enormous effects over the course of a career. WME is offering START SMART, a salary negotiation workshop on Thurs., May 19 4-7 pm in 126 Austin Hall. The event includes dinner. This workshop will lead you to knowledge of what is a reasonable salary range, strategies for negotiation, and will help you develop the confidence you need to be successful at promoting yourself. The workshop will be followed by a round table dinner discussion with prominent women in engineering fields. Space is limited; register today.
Volunteers Welcome for SWE Girl Scout Events
Two SWE-sponsored Girl Scout events are coming up in April, and they need 6-8 volunteers to help on the day of each event. Here are the details:
1) Science In Action, on Saturday, April 9
2) Bridge Design, on Saturday, April 16
For both events, participants meet at the visitor lobby of HP, Inc. off Circle Blvd in Corvallis at 8 am for setup and the events run from 9 am to 12 pm. These are fun, hands-on events for the girls, and you could inspire a future engineer with your involvement/ Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer or to get more information.
WeDo Lego Robotics with Kindergartners
STEM Academy @ OSU is looking for mentors to help with small groups of 2-3 students during kindergarten WeDo Lego Robotics sessions throughout April and May. NO robotics experience necessary. You will also have a chance to tell students about your field of study and what you hope to do in the future with your degree. For more information or to sign up, contact Cathy Law at email@example.com
Chickadees: Mon.-Thurs., April 18-21, 8:15-9:45
Tigers: Mon.-Thurs., April 25-28, 8:15-9:45
Koalas: Mon.-Thurs., May 2-5, 8:15-9:45
Pinginos: Mon.-Thurs., May 9-12, 8:15-9:45
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
Micro/Nanomanufacturing REU at University of Louisville
The J.B. Speed School of Engineering (SSOE) at the University of Louisville (UofL) is hosting an NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates program this summer. The research theme of the REU program is micro/nano manufacturing titled, "IMPACT (Interdisciplinary Micro/nano-manufacturing Program Addressing Challenges Today." Projects are on this website. The program funds eight students from outside UofL to stay on campus for 10 weeks starting May 31 and perform cutting-edge research under the guidance of an SSoE faculty mentor. The program also contains valuable educational training sessions on writing, presenting, IP, entrepreneurship and ethics.
Hispanic Scholarship Funds Available
The Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF) offers merit-based scholarship awards ranging from $500-$5,000 available for undergraduate and graduate students from all majors and fields of study. Please note that Business and STEM majors are highly encouraged to apply. The application deadline for the 2016-17 academic year is March 30.
Great Minds in STEM (GMiS) 2016 HENAAC Scholarships
Graduating high school seniors, undergraduate students and graduate students, who intend to or are currently pursuing a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) degree at an accredited college/university in the U.S. or Puerto Rico, are encouraged to apply for the merit-based Great Minds in STEM scholarships. Students must have an overall minimum 3.0 GPA and must be of Hispanic descent or demonstrate strong leadership or service within the Hispanic community. Scholarship awards range from $500 - $10,000. Apply by April 30.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Intel's Data Center Group is looking for an Intern with Industrial Engineer background to work on the DCG Lab Management Team. (DCG Lab Operational Efficiency Intern - 793996 ) The Lab Management Team is defining, piloting, and deploying lab processes around the world that makes possible the design and validation of Servers. Initially this position will be supporting Asset Management and Lab Efficiency Activities. Subsequent focus will be applying Time and Motion studies, equipment capacity analysis, layout designs, project management, data management and analysis, etc.
The CIRE Lab is seeking a sophomore or junior level student to maintain the group website. The student must have experience with creating websites and using Drupal. Interested students need to send a resume to Dr. David Blunck (David.Blunck@oregonstate.edu)
Elizabeth Esponnette, assistant professor of product design at the University of Oregon, is searching for a summer robotics intern to work at the startup, unspun, of which she is a co-founder. unspun is applying robotics and 3D printing to soft goods manufacturing. Interested students should contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The OSU Sustainability Office is currently recruiting enthusiastic and detail-oriented students to work at their office. The following two positions have a preference on engineering students. Applications are due April 10.
Energy Project Student Technical Assistant
Responsible for reading OSU utility meters, helping to plan and manage energy and water conservation projects, maintaining and transporting the Solar Trailer, and performing field work on OSU electric vehicle chargers and solar arrays.
Utility Data Student Technical Assistant
Responsible for managing and analyzing data, creating spreadsheets for the Sustainability Office and reading monthly OSU utility meters.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- Garmin AT seeks a Product Support Specialist Summer/Seasonal Location: Salem, OR Job ad expires on: 4/8/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10488
- Hinds Instruments, Inc seeks a Technical Sales I Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10528
- Modis Recruiting seeks a Senior Business Intelligence Engineer Location: Portland Job ad expires on: 4/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10544
- Lane County seeks an Engineering Associate Location: Eugene, OR Job ad expires on: 4/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11572
- TTM Technologies seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Forest Grove, OR Job ad expires on: 4/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10935
- Nolan Transportation Group seeks an Account Manager Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 4/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11239
- Nolan Transportation Group seeks a Carrier Operations Specialist Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 4/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11240
- Linn County General Services seeks an Industrial Engineering Intern Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 4/17/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10635
- Columbia Machine, Inc seeks a Mechanical/Electrical Intern Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 4/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10655
- Marvell Semiconductor seeks an Embedded Software Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 4/23/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10801
- L&M Industrial Fabrication seeks a Senior Project Manager Location: Tangent Job ad expires on: 4/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10820
- Siemens Building Technologies seeks a Sales Development Program Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 4/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10830
- Nan Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Various (Maui, Oahu, etc) Job ad expires on: 4/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10847
- Mu Sigma Inc seeks an Associate / Engagement Manager Location: United States Job ad expires on: 4/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10850
- Urban Teachers seeks an Urban Teachers Resident Location: Washington, DC Job ad expires on: 4/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11457
- Urban Teachers seeks an Urban Teachers Resident Location: Baltimore, MD Job ad expires on: 4/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11458
- Urban Teachers seeks an Urban Teachers Resident Location: Dallas, TX Job ad expires on: 4/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11459
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Electrical/Signal) – Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9411
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) – Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9412
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9413
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Mechanical Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9414
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9416
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors has HVAC Careers Location: Tualatin, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10193
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks an AutoCAD Drafter / Assistant Estimator Location: Tualatin, OR Job ad expires on: 4/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10184
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory seeks a University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 4/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11460
- Collins Agricultural Consultants Inc. seeks a Research Technician Location: Oregon City Job ad expires on: 5/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8939
- Cabot Microelectronics seeks an Operations Intern Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 5/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10895
- Modis Recruiting seeks a Network Architect Location: Portland Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11057
- Veritas seeks a Space Planning/Facilities Project Management Intern Location: Mountain View Job ad expires on: 5/9/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11134
- Economic Development for Central Oregon seeks a Business Development Intern Location: 705 SW Bonnett Way #1000, Bend OR Job ad expires on: 5/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11164
- Mettler Toledo Product Inspection seeks an Engineering Detailer (Autodesk Inventor) Location: Tampa Job ad expires on: 5/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11284
- The Odom Corporation seeks a IS Intern Location: Bellevue, WA Job ad expires on: 5/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11286
- Norchem Corp seeks a Field Service Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11294
- PERI Formwork Systems, Inc. seeks a PERI Design Engineer Location: Woodland, WA Job ad expires on: 5/17/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11316
- AT&T seeks a Technology Development Program - Technology Operations Location: Redmond, WA Job ad expires on: 5/17/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11325
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration seeks a Junior Officer Location: Nationwide 5/19/2015 Job ad expires on: Beaver Careers ID: 6188
- Columbia Cascade Company seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11443
- Sagetech Corporation seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: White Salmon, WA Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11467
- EFCO Corp. seeks an Engineer-in-Training Location: Kent, WA Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11471
- Myers Container seeks an Environmental Regulatory & Safety Manager Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11473
- The International Council on Clean Transportation seeks an Aviation Program Associate Location: San Francisco, CA Job ad expires on: 5/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11476
- Infosys seeks a Systems Engineer Location: Multiple locations Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9791
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Range Safety Officer (RSO) Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10427
- Intel Corporation seeks an Automation Engineer Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10712
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10911
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10912
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks an Engineering Summer Internship - FT Paid Location: Tualatin, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10943
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a Cellar Operations Engineering Intern Location: Modesto Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11175
- Infosys seeks a Technology Analyst Location: Multiple locations Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11236
- Infosys seeks a Senior Systems Engineer Location: Multiple locations Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11238
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 11493
- JE Dunn Construction seeks a Project Engineer | Field Engineer | Mechanical/Electrical Engineer | Estimator Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 6/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6786
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a Coastal Operations Intern Location: Healdsburg, St. Helena, Napa, San Miguel, San Luis Obispo Job ad expires on: 6/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10557
- 3D InFusion seeks an Eng. Tech. 1 Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 6/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6667
- 3D InFusion seeks an Eng. Tech. 1 Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 6/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6668
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The University of the Pacific School of Engineering and Computer Science invites applications for a General Engineering Lecturer position. This non-tenure track position with a renewable one- to two-year contract. The primary responsibility of this position is to teach materials science and laboratories and a range of other undergraduate general engineering.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at New York Institute of Technology (NYIT) seeks to fill two full-time, tenure track Assistant Professor positions: Position 1#: Assistant Prof., Mechanical Engineering RA # 2234: Energy/Sustainability Positon #2: Assistant Prof., Mechanical Engineering RA # 2233: Biomechanics. Candidates should have a Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related area, excellent communication skills, and a solid track record in academia or industry. Commitment to teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level as well as to research is required.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at The University of Texas at Arlington is recruiting in the area of computational aerothermodynamics as a member of the Aerodynamics Research Center. They are looking for an individual who can complement ongoing experimental research in the areas of hypersonic aerothermodynamics and propulsion, chemically-reacting flows, supersonic aerodynamics, and pressure-gain combustion; and collaborate with faculty to develop new areas of research.
- University at Buffalo - SUNY seeks an Assistant Teaching Professor in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department to start fall 2016. Posting number 1600015. Position is open until filled.
- University of Louisville Department of Industrial Engineering seeks applicants for an Assistant Professor Term Position in Industrial Engineering (Job ID No.: UL509). Open until filled.
- The School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University is seeking exceptional candidates for a tenured or tenure-track faculty position in areas related to computational thermo-fluid sciences. Open until filled.
- The Department of Industrial, Manufacturing, & Systems Engineering (IMSE) at the University of Texas at Arlington invites applications for multiple tenure-track positions in a) engineering management and (b) complex systems modeling. Applications accepted until positions are full.
- The Russ College of Engineering and Technology at Ohio University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor Position in Industrial and Systems Engineering. Apply by April 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Vanderbilt University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of nanomaterials, for solving critical energy issues. Apply by May 1.
- The Jet Propulsion Laboratory at California Institute of Technology has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar. The study is in the area of Direct Numerical Simulation (DNS) and Large Eddy Simulation (LES) of high-pressure turbulent reactive flows. Applicants should e-mail the following material: 1) a complete Curriculum Vitae, with lists of (i) refereed journal publications and (ii) name, address, e-mail and telephone number of at least three references. 2) An electronic copy for each of his/her most recent journal publications to email@example.com
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.