Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University
April 3, 2017
This Week's Features
Engineering Out Loud podcast features two stories from the Oregon State Robotics Group
Ravi Balasubramanian, mechanical engineering assistant professor, talks about robo-inspired implantable mechanisms to improve orthopedic surgeries of all types. Then, Bill Smart, mechanical engineering associate professor, and his graduate student Benjamin Narin discuss Project Chiron, a kit that turns a mechanized wheelchair into a self-driving wheelchair to help those with ALS. Listen to the episode.
Mark Your Calendar
Faculty Candidate Seminar
Materials Science Faculty Candidate: Dr. Daniel Bufford
Lecture: Structural Evolution and Damage in Real Time at the Nanoscale
April 3 | 10 a.m. | Rogers 226
Faculty Candidate Seminar
Materials Science Faculty Candidate: Dr. Megumi Kawasaki
Lecture: Processing of Ultrafine-Grained and Bulk Nanostructured Materials Through the Application of Severe Plastic Deformation
April 6 | 3 p.m. | Rogers 226
Faculty Candidate Seminar
Energy Systems Engineering Faculty Candidate: Dr. Vi Rapp
Lecture: Advancing energy technologies for humanity
April 7 | 1 p.m. | Rogers 226
The Northwest Regional Women in Computing (NWrWIC) regional conference
Top industry speakers will discuss Internet Security In Our Evolving World. More info and registration.
April 8 | 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. | Intel Hillsboro
Beaver Barcamp 17
Share your passion, connect with others, and learn something new at Beaver BarCamp 17. This is an informal un-conference that has been hosted by the OSU Open Source Lab for over 10 years. Attendees can participate in sessions throughout the day or propose their own session on a project, hobby or research interest. Help us fill OSU’s Kelley Engineering Center with interesting ideas and skills.
April 8 | 9 a.m.-6 p.m. | Kelley Engineering Center
MIME Distinguished Speaker Series: Louis L. Whitcomb
Dr. Whitcomb, Professor and Chair of the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Johns Hopkins University, will discuss developments and sea trials of the Nereid Under-Ice (NUI) underwater robotic vehicle, which he developed with collaborators at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
April 14 | 10 a.m. | Rogers 226.
Corvallis Maker Fair
OSU will host the fourth annual CO• Maker Fair, an event which honors craftsmanship and technology by bringing together makers to share their knowledge, skills, and resources the community. Exhibitors include HP and the HP Makerspace, the OSU DAMLab, ChickTech, DaVinci Days, Viking Mars Mission Makers, Gearbox, Corvallis Geek Olympics, and Pi Dads.
April 15 | 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. | Memorial Union Ballroom and Student Experience Center Plaza
Science Pub Portland: Designing Robots to Walk and Run
Join Jonathan Hurst, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Oregon State University. Designing passive dynamics, which are generated by the mechanical hardware, and software control algorithms together in tight integration can drastically improve the performance of a machine as measured by efficiency, agility, and robustness to disturbances.
April 18 | 7 p.m. | Empirical Theater at OMSI
Spring 2017 HWeekend - Impact Oregon!
HWeekend returns April 23-23! This free hardware development competition, sponsored by the College of Engineering, College of Business, and InnovationX, brings students of all levels and majors together with industry and faculty mentors to create something new. Students work together in teams to create a marketable project they can demonstrate and pitch to judges at the end of the weekend. The theme for this event is Impact Oregon! Come together with a group of friends to make something that is uniquely Oregon or could help Oregon citizens. More info: webpage, video. Application deadline: April 5. Learn how to participate .
April 22-23 | Austin Hall
COE Faculty Development Workshop
This workshop focuses on ways to recruit, retain, and mentor GTAs and GRAs.
April 28, | 4 - 6:30 p.m. | 1003 Kelley Engineering Center
As part of OSU’s inaugural Graduate Student Appreciation Week (May 1-5), the Graduate School is hosting a university-wide Graduate Showcase and Three Minute Thesis (3MT) competition. These two events provide an opportunity for graduate students from all colleges and majors to demonstrate and celebrate their scholarship, research and creative activities in a supportive environment. The 3MT offers $2,000 in cash prizes and a chance to represent Beaver Nation at the statewide 3MT competition. All Graduate Showcase and 3MT submissions are due by April 12.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
Rusnak & Zonta Club STEM Scholarships - Ten $3,000 awards to Women in STEM
Zonta Service Foundation of Corvallis is accepting applications for the Rusnak Scholarship and a minimum of five Zonta Club STEM scholarships. These scholarships are earmarked for female students who are committed to a career in science, technology, engineering or math. They offer $1,000 per term for 3 terms to help cover tuition, fees, books, and supplies that are charged to the recipient's account at LBCC, OSU or both institutions for recipients in the Degree Partnership Program. Learn more and apply. Applications deadline: April 5, 2017.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Engineering By Design in San Jose, CA is seeking an intern for Summer 2017 to assist with a number of duties including mechanical and electrical assembly and testing of machines, making videos of machines in operation, compiling and analyzing test data, and more. This is a good opportunity for someone who likes to be around machinery and is interested in the design/development process in a small engineering/consulting firm. Please review the company's website, and if interested, contact Dale Henson, President & Owner.
Intel wants MIME students interested in a Manufacturing Technical Supervisor role at the Hillsboro facility. A recruitment event will be held Thursday, April 13 at 6 p.m. in Rogers Hall, room 230. More information and registration.
The PROMISE program is a paid summer internship which provides experiential learning opportunities for Oregon State University undergraduate students, with particular emphasis on providing pathways for historically underrepresented students into professional careers. Internships are available to all OSU undergraduate students who are or will be enrolled for Spring term, who have completed at least 90 undergraduate credits, and who have a current cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher. Preference will be given to first-time applicants. Learn more.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- Paradigm Construction LLC seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu Job ad expires on: 4/14/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 10782
- E. & J. Gallo seeks an Operations Technical Safety Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16274
- E. & J. Gallo seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16340
- E. & J. Gallo seeks a Process Technology Engineering Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16341
- Alston Construction seeks a Project Engineer Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17457
- Cambia Health Solutions seeks an Enterprise Website Migration Intern Location: Portland, OR, USA, 97201 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17482
- Flonomix seeks a Trainee Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17027
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) Operations Management Training Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 4/27/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16161
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 4/27/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16129
- Cambia Health Solutions seeks a Software Development Engineer Associate Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/28/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17622
- MWH Global seeks an Intern - Construction Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/28/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17630
- Sustainable Mechanical Systems seeks a Sales Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16296
- MWH Global, now part of Stantec seeks a Project Engineer - Planning/Scheduling Focus Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/12/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17631
- MWH Global, now part of Stantec seeks a Project Engineer Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/12/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17632
- College Possible has College Possible AmeriCorps and VISTA Positions 17-18 Location: Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Milwaukee, Omaha, Portland, Philadelphia, Chicago Job ad expires on: 5/15/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17464
- Intel Corporation seeks a Lab Technician Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17462
- Apex Systems seeks a Recruiting Inside Sales Trainee (Recruiter) Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17466
- Apex Systems seeks a Delivery Recruiter Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17467
- Urban Teachers seeks a Urban Teacher Resident Location: Baltimore, MD Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17458
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI) seeks a 2017 Fall Congressional Intern Location: Washington, D.C. Job ad expires on: 5/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15537
- Overwatch Imaging seeks a Computer Vision Engineering Intern Location: Hood River, OR Job ad expires on: 5/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17503
- Reynolds & Reynolds seeks an Entry Level Outside Sales Trainee Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 5/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17495
- Umpqua Bank seeks a Project Technology Auditor Location: Tigard, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/23/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17558
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 5/28/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17645
- E. & J. Gallo seeks a Process Technology Engineering Intern Location: Livingston, Fresno, CA Job ad expires on: 6/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16341
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.