Manufacturing Engineers (MfgE) focus on the design and operation of integrated systems for the production of high-quality, economically competitive products. These systems may include computer networks, robots, machine tools, and materials-handling equipment. For example, a manufacturing engineer might be hired to:
- Automate a chemical manufacturing facility through computer integrated technology
- Design circuit board manufacturing processes to reduce costs and improve product quality
- Develop the best assignment of machines and equipment to various manufacturing cells in discrete parts manufacturing
- Develop and implement fabrication processes for nano-/micro-devices
- Identify the most cost-effective material handling and facility layout alternative for an aerospace manufacturing company
As a manufacturing engineering student at Oregon State University, you will design, develop, and make partnerships with your fellow students and with industry sponsors. Review this list of Senior Capstone Design Projects for a sample of what our seniors accomplish each year.
For more information about the manufacturing engineering profession, consult these links: