Design and analysis of industrial facilities including just-in-time systems, queuing, material handling systems, material flow analysis, line balancing, systematic layout planning, design of warehouse facilities, and facilities location.
The student, upon completion of this course, will be able to:
- Identify basic types of production system design and be able to determine which is the most suited for the production of different types of products.
- Apply queuing approximations to analyze the capacity of a production system.
- Quantify flow and space requirements, and characterize adjacency requirements for a facility.
- Understand some of the basic types of quantitative layout models and apply some basic quantitative models to layout data.
- Apply facility location models to basic location problems.
- Identify several types of material handling/storage equipment and typical suitable applications.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate and document technical information in a professional, structured, timely, and effective manner as part of a term project