418 Rogers Hall
The course will introduce optimization methods as applied to engineering design. The theory and application of nonlinear optimization techniques for multivariate unconstrained and constrained problems will be presented. Students will also complete a project based on their research or interests.
- Introduction to engineering optimization
- Formulation of optimization models
- Constraint Activity and Reduction
- Unconstrained nonlinear models and solution algorithms
- Constrained nonlinear optimization
- Numerical methods for optimization
The student, upon successful completion of this course, will be able to:
- Identify the correct algorithm to optimize a given engineering design problem.
- Derive the KKT conditions for Constrained Gradient-Based Optimization.
- Identify the difference among zeroth, first, and second order optimization methods for unconstrained optimization.
- Create custom code to implement an algorithm for both unconstrained and constrained optimization.