Available all terms
406 Rogers Hall
An introduction to concepts, tools, and practices necessary for a broad understanding of the roles of engineering and technical managers. A mix of research results, case studies, and experiential learning is used to bolster theories of management, with focus on technical organizations
- Changes: Roles, Expectations, Landscape
- What is Engineering Management?
- Developing and Managing Strategy
- Stick or Carrot? Managing Performance
- Jack of all trades: Leader, Mentor, Motivator, …
- Change Management
- Project Management
- Product Development
- Policy and Systems Management
The student, upon completion of this course, will be able to:
- Describe the roles of an engineering manager, including the challenges of transition from engineering to management.
- Identify and describe appropriate managerial principles to solve technical management challenges.
- Analyze managerial tasks, select, implement and evaluate the impact of differing managerial approaches.
- Identify key factors in an organization that must be managed to successfully transform the organization