Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial &
Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University
September 29, 2014
This Week's Features
MIME Adds New Suite of Robotics Degree Programs; Online IE MEng Option
Students of robotics now have the option to pursue Ph.D. Master of Science, and Master of Engineering graduate degrees in Robotics. The Robotics graduate program at Oregon State spans departments in the College of Engineering, with core faculty from Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, and Electrical & Computer Engineering. Affilliations and collaborations across the university include oceanography, biomechanics, art, forestry, agriculture, and other programs.
As well, School of MIME has opened its online program through OSU E-Campus. The new degree option offers a Master of Engineering degree in Industrial Engineering with the option in Engineering Management for students with a bachelor of science degree in any of the STEM-related (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields.
Pro-Schoolers! RSVP - School of MIME Pro School Convocation
The 2014 School of MIME Pro School Convocation welcome and reception is for newly accepted students (+ a guest) to the School of MIME mechanical, industrial, and manufacturing engineering Pro School. Pro School students should arrive by 6:00 for photos. The welcome program begins at 6:30 with a reception immediately following. An online RSVP is required for this event, or send an email to Carrie.Randall@oregonstate.edu.
Pro School Convocation | DATE: Tues., Oct 7 | TIME: 6-8 pm | WHERE: LaSells Stewart Center
Dr. Balasubramanian’s Hand Movement Mechanism Draws International Attention
The research of Dr. Ravi Balasubramanian has earned global publicity including the Indian news website IBN Live, the professional journal "Hand" and other news outlets. Dr. Balasubramanian and his team have developed a pulley mechanism to improve hand function after surgery. The device, tested in cadaver hands, is a breakthrough instrument ever created that could improve the transmission of mechanical forces and movement while implanted inside the body.
Dr. Batten Honored by Oregon Wave Energy Trust
The Oregon Wave Energy Trust recognized Dr. Belinda Batten with its annual award presented to the person that has demonstrated outstanding leadership in marine energy. The award was presented to Batten by Captain Rick Williams, the previous five-time recipient of the honor, on behalf of the Oregon Wave Energy Trust.
School of MIME Wins 2014 College Of Engineering Fall Awards
The College of Engineering honored 10 outstanding individuals at the annual awards breakfast on Sept. 17 at Reser Stadium. Of those, School of MIME had three winners among them that we'd like to acknowledge:
-- Troy Ansell was presented with the COE Graduate Research Assistant Award for contributions beyond the level normally expected of a graduate research assistant.
-- Dr. Belinda Batten was recognized with this year’s Research Collaboration Award for sustained, unusually significant, and meritorious achievement in collaborative research and scholarship.
-- Brian Jensen, manager of the Product Realization and Machining Lab was awarded the Professional Faculty Award for outstanding performance by a faculty member whose contribution and service are not defined within the traditional categories of teaching, research, or extension.
Graduate Student BBQ Welcomes Incoming Students
The 2014 Fall Barbeque welcomed more than 100 new incoming students of the 2014-15 graduate school class. As well, the school conveyed awards to the 2013-14 academic year’s best GTAs and GRAs. Winners are:
- Mechanical Engineering Outstanding GRA Award: Troy Ansell
- Mechanical Engineering Outstanding GTA Award: Joe Piacenza
- Industrial Engineering Outstanding GRA Award: Saeed Ghanbartehrani and Hao Zhang (tie)
- Industrial Engineering Outstanding GTA Award: Katie Morowsky
- MIME Student Service Award: Zachary Taie and Tasha Larson (tie)
- Debra Jimmerson Staff Appreciation Award: Brian Jensen
- MIME Faculty Researchers of the Year: David Cann and Sourabh Apte (tie)
Mark Your Calendar
Today - Atlantis Dual Degree Program - Info Session till 5 pm
Students (first- through third-year) who want to study abroad in Spring or Summer 2015 may learn of the opportunity today. With the ATLANTIS dual-degree bachelors program, qualified Oregon State ME students can travel to Germany for a year of engineering classes. At the end of this program, successful students will earn a BS in Mechanical Engineering from OSU AND a BS in Materials Science from the University of Saarlandes in Germany. Info sessions are today September 29, from noon to 5 pm; a second session is Monday, Oct. 6, from noon to 5 pm. Both sessions will be in Dearborn 303.
ATLANTIS Info Session I | DATE: Today | TIME: noon till 5 pm | WHERE: 303 Dearborn
ATLANTIS Info Session II | DATE: Oct. 6 | TIME: noon till 5 pm | WHERE: 303 Dearborn
Six Sigma Green Belt Course Offered
The Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) Training Center and the OSU IIE Student Chapter will offer the Six Sigma Green Belt for Process Improvement course during Fall 2014. The 3-day course provides a thorough understanding of Six Sigma and how to eliminate defects through fundamental process knowledge. At the end of the course you will take the IIE Green Belt Exam (included in the course fee). Participants who pass the exam receive IIE's Six Sigma Green Belt Certificate. Cost: $500 for students; $950 for professionals and alumni. If you have questions, send an email to the IIE Technology and Education Chairs at: email@example.com
Six Sigma Green Belt Course | DATE: Oct. 10- 12 | TIME: 8:30 am to 5 pm | WHERE: 412 Bexell
Plan Now for Engineering Study Abroad!
Several application deadlines for study-abroad options in the winter and spring 2015 terms are fast-approaching. One is for the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) with an application deadline of Oct. 5. Most other Oregon State programs have a deadline of Oct. 15.
If you’re planning to study abroad next year, be sure to attend one of the following information sessions offered this fall:
Study Abroad 101 for First Year Students: Thurs., Oct. 2; 12 pm & 4 pm; The HUB (144 Batcheller)
Study Abroad in Australia: Tues., Oct. 14; 12 pm & 4 pm; The HUB
Study Abroad in Europe: Tues., Oct. 21; 12 pm & 4 pm; The HUB
Study Abroad in Asia: Tues., Oct. 28; 12 pm & 4 pm; The HUB
$cholarships for Study Abroad: Thurs., Nov. 6; 12 pm & 4 pm; The HUB
For more information on study abroad options, visit the office. Fall 2014 walk-in hours for COE International Programs are: Mon./Wed./Fri.: 10-11:30 am; Tues.: 3-5 pm at The HUB; call (541)737-5247 or email: COE.Study-Abroad@oregonstate.edu.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Research Study is Seeking Participants
The research study: “UI Design for the Modern Soldier: Designing Relevant, Intuitive User Interfaces for Complex Laser Targeting Systems” (Principal Investigator: Dr. Ken Funk) is seeking participants. The study is investigating the effects of different user interface designs on usability, learnability, and user preference. Participants will complete two sessions in a two-month period, where they spend about an hour completing a set of usability activities, answering a short survey about each activity, and then participating in a short interview. For compensation, participants receive a $5 Amazon gift card for the first session, and a $10 Amazon gift card for the second session. To schedule participation, please contact Raschelle Barkume (student researcher) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Engineers Without Borders General Meeting This Week
Engineers without Borders has their general meeting on Thursday, Oct. 2, at 6 pm in Furman 101. The meeting will provide an overview of EWB and EWB-OSU as a chapter. There will also be updates from summer projects.
The deadline to apply for graduation for fall term is Friday, Oct. 10. Track other important deadlines on the OSU Academic Calendar
Job and Internship Opportunities
FEATURED -- Corvallis High School tutoring center is looking for tutors who can help students in math, science, English, and other subjects. Tutors are expected meet students approximately 90 minutes a week. Please contact Chieko Weiler at email@example.com or 541-757-5926 for details.
FEATURED -- A-dec is looking for a mechanical / design engineer in dental furniture operations. Bachelor’s degree in engineering preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience. Apply online.
FEATURED --The Extension and Experiment Station Communications (EESC) seeking a student worker to provide website development support. Tasks include posting content to web sites, link checking, and working with multimedia, and others. To apply: please submit a cover letter and resume showing your interest in the position, and 3 references to Pete Petryszak (firstname.lastname@example.org), and visit student jobs@OSU for a full job description.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Newly posted opportunities are listed first and then in order of closing date:
- Sierra Pacific Industries seeks a Manufacturing Engineer. Job location: Red Bluff, California. Application deadline is: 10/1/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2608.
- Shimadzu USA Manufacturing Inc. seeks a Quality Engineer. Job location: Canby, Oregon. Application deadline is: 10/4/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2177.
- Blount International, Inc. seeks a Manufacturing Engineer II/III. Job location: Portland, Oregon. Application deadline is: 10/10/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2275.
- Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard & IMF seeks a General, Electrical, Mechanical, Electrical, Civil Engineers. Job location: Pearl Harbor, HI. Application deadline is: 10/10/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2292.
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Mechanical Design Engineer. Job location: Rockledge, FL. Application deadline is: 10/11/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2280.
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Thermal Fluids Research Engineer. Job location: Rockledge, FL. Application deadline is: 10/11/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2281.
- Pillar Consulting Group seeks a Civil/Structural Engineer. Job location: Corvallis, OR. Application deadline is: 10/13/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2314.
- CDM Smith seeks an Environmental Engineer 2. Job location: Walnut Creek, CA. Application deadline is: 10/18/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2350.
- Blount International, Inc. seeks a Tool and Die Design Engineer. Job location: Portland, Oregon. Application deadline is: 10/18/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2351.
- Condon-Johnson & Associates seeks a Field Engineer. Job location: Kent, WA. Application deadline is: 10/21/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2418.
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Signal or Structures) - Operations Management Training Program. Job location: Various. Application deadline is: 10/23/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2420.
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) - Operations Management Training Program. Job location: Various. Application deadline is: 10/23/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2421.
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Transportation Manager - Operations Management Training Program. Job location: Various. Application deadline is: 10/23/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2422.
- Kirkland Associates Ltd. seeks a Mechanical Engineer. Job location: McMinnville, OR. Application deadline is: 10/23/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2429.
- Rubicon International seeks a Curriculum Engineer. Job location: Portland, OR. Application deadline is: 10/24/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2465.
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Coop. Job location: Various. Application deadline is: 10/24/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2573.
- Jireh Semiconductor Inc. seeks an Etch Process Engineer. Job location: Hillsboro, OR. Application deadline is: 10/25/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2483.
- Jireh Semiconductor Inc. seeks a Diffusion Process Engineer. Job location: Hillsboro, OR. Application deadline is: 10/25/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2484.
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
Research Assistantship for a Doctoral Student in Biomedical or Mechanical Engineering: Departments of Biomedical and Mechanical Engineering, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo. A research assistantship is available for a Ph.D. student to study the mechanical behavior of big horn sheep horns and bone beginning in 2015. Candidates with a BS or MS degree in mechanical engineering or biomedical engineering (with a strong emphasis on engineering mechanics) are preferred. Interested candidates should email a CV and one-page statement of interest describing research experience, interest in this project, and long-term career goals to email@example.com.
Milwaukee School of Engineering invites applications for a faculty position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level for Fall 2015 teaching in the Industrial Engineering program within the Mechanical Engineering Department. Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in the areas of applied statistics, quality, Six Sigma, and reliability. Applications reviewed as received.
The College of Engineering at Wayne State University seeks applications for the following tenure-track position; Assistant or Associate Professor in Industrial & Systems Engineering Department. All applicants must use the online hiring system at http://jobs.wayne.edu, referring to posting 040601. Application review begins Nov. 15.
West Virginia University, Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources, invites applicants for an Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. Preference is given to applications responding by Nov. 17.