Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
October 3, 2016
This Week's Features
MIME's Firas Siala receives the Edwin A. Link Energy Fellowship
Congratulations to Firas Siala, a PhD candidate in mechanical engineering advised by Dr. James Liburdy, for earning the Link Foundation Energy Fellowship. Firas is one of two graduate students out of more than 100 students to receive this award. The Link Foundation will support Firas’ research into a novel flow-energy harvesting technique inspired by biomimetics for the next two years. Siala is studying the flow physics and fluid-structure interaction of an oscillating foil with passively flexible leading and trailing edges, mimicking flexible wings and fins in flying and swimming animals, respectively. His goal is to study how surface flexibility affects the development of the flow structures around the oscillating foil in order to maximize the net power output. Siala's work has been published in journals such as the Journal of Fluids Engineering and the Journal of Fluids and Structures as well as for conference papers.
MIME Student Groups -- PechaKucha Event with $1,000 Prize to Winners
Save the dates! Professor and School Head Harriet Nembhard is inviting all MIME student organizations to prepare for a PechaKucha presentation event about their group. Nembhard's new initiative is designed to elevate student leadership and our MIME student organizations. The PechaKucha presentation format, which allots a speaker 20 slides shown for 20 seconds each, is a framework to develop engaging, short presentation skills as well as to showcase and share information in a social and creative session, according to the PechaKucha website. The best pitch will win $1,000 for their group, with runners-up earning $500. Entries will be due on Tues., Oct. 28 by 5 pm, and the event will be held on Tues., Nov. 1, from 4 to 6 pm. We will have additional details forthcoming, but please note the dates, and get thinking about dynamic ways to pitch your group.
Mark Your Calendar
Tomorrow: Sci-fi Author Speaks on Campus, “Revisits the Scene”
Science fiction author David Brin, whose 1985 novel The Postman was set largely in Corvallis and at Oregon State will present a talk, “Storytelling in Novels and Film: Adaptations,” at OSU’s LaSells Stewart Center in the Construction and Engineering Hall. The lecture will focus in part on The Postman, and include film clips of the 1997 movie loosely based on the book as well as feature readings by Brin. A scientist, tech-futurist and best-selling author, Brin has won numerous awards for his novels; his nonfiction book, The Transparent Society: Will Technology Force Us to Choose Between Freedom and Privacy? won the Freedom of Speech Prize from the American Library Association. Brin’s visit is sponsored by SPARK, OSU’s year-long celebration of the arts and sciences; as well as the OSU Robotics program, the School of Writing, Literature and Film, the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, and the College of Science.
Brin Lecture | DATE: Tues., Oct. 4 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: LaSells Stewart Center
IISE All-Member Meeting
The OSU IISE (Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers) student chapter invites new students interested in industrial engineering to the first all-member meeting of the year. The club offers a great opportunity to get involved and meet other people interested in industrial engineering. Food and drinks provided.
IISE Kickoff | DATE: Tues., Oct. 4 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: Dearborn 118
For Grad Students - GSB Kickoff Meeting
The Graduate Student Body (formerly GS^4) is established for graduate students to exercise our social skills while networking with peers outside of the classroom. Come, get involved and socialize with fellow MIME graduate students. At this kickoff meeting, we will talk about upcoming events and general business of the club, and enjoy free pizza! All graduate students in school of MIME are invited.
GSB Kickoff | DATE: Thurs., Oct. 6 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Robotics Club's Kickoff Event
The annual Robotics Kickoff event brings together club members and potential new members for a discussion of the club's main projects and officers, and activities. The group will also collect membership dues, have robot demos and give out free pizza. What you need: $10 for membership, $15 for a T-Shirt (optional), OSU ID Card.
OSU Robotics Club Kickoff | DATE: Thurs. Oct. 6 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: KEC Atrium
Machining Lab Woodshop Qualification Seminar
The MPRL Lab is conducting two Machining Lab Woodshop Qualification Seminars -- on Thurs., Oct. 6, at 9 am and at 3 pm. The one-hour seminar is open to current and former ME 250 students. Students must have their ME 250 name tag with them at the time of the seminar. Each seminar will accommodate 12 people per session, so the first 12 to sign up for either session will be accepted. Register by emailing email@example.com.
Woodshop Seminar | DATE: Thurs. Oct. 6 | TIME: 9 am or 3 pm | PLACE: Rogers 106
Intel Day is Oct. 12
Mark your calendar and polish up your resume! Intel Day is Wed., Oct. 12, and their tech recruiters will be on campus for an "open house" event to discuss the career opportunities for STEM students at Intel. The representatives are looking for the chance to speak to both undergraduate and graduate students.
Intel Day | DATE: Wed., Oct. 12 | TIME: 11 am - 3 pm | PLACE: KEC 1005 & 1007
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin. This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Institute for Broadening Participation Announces Application Season
The Institute for Broadening Participation has a large number of upcoming graduate fellowship and undergraduate scholarship deadlines. Many programs have application deadlines in the coming weeks and months, so please review their offerings. The mission of the Institute for Broadening Participation is to increase diversity in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) workforce. We design and implement strategies to increase access to STEM education, funding, and careers, with special emphasis on reaching and supporting individuals from underserved communities and underrepresented groups, including underrepresented minorities, women, persons with disabilities, first generation college students, and students from underserved communities.
Calling all Makers – Apply for the HWeekend by Oct. 3
You are all invited to apply for the fall 2016 HWeekend event ─ an intense, weekend hardware-development competition that brings together students of all skill levels and majors with industry and faculty mentors to create something new. HWeekend is free event sponsored by Microsemi, the College of Engineering and the College of Business. Students work in teams to create a marketable project they can demonstrate and pitch to judges at the end of the weekend. This event is free, and includes meals and snacks for the 30-hour build session. Participants also have free access to tools including 3D printers, laser cutters, electronics, tablets, and computers.
MPRL Opening Hours – Fall Term, Week Two
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 12 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 12 – 2; 4- 9 pm | Wednesday – 12 - 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 2 - 9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Fall Term Graduation?
If you plan to graduate fall term, the deadline to apply is Fri., Oct. 7. Please contact Gina Newcomb, MIME Undergraduate Records Specialist, for details.
Pro-School Winter Term Application
The Pro-School application for winter term 2017 admissions opened Oct. 1, and it will remain open until 11:55 pm Mon., Oct. 31. Please note that your winter 2017 application will be using GPA data from the summer 2016, fall 2016, and winter 2017 table.
IISE Six Sigma Green Belt Course
Registration is now open for the IISE Six Sigma Green Belt Course, a three-day long course integrating principles of business, statistics, and engineering. This introductory course will give you a thorough understanding of Six Sigma and how to eliminate defects through fundamental process knowledge. Participants learn to quantify the critical quality issues in a company and then apply statistics to provide probabilities of success and failure. It is a good way to set yourself apart from your peers. Becoming a student member of IISE for only $37 will allow you take advantage of IISE member discount for this and future trainings. Email IISE Training and Education Chairs, Carly & Korie, at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Student IISE Member Price: $500; Student Non-IISE Member Price: $550; Alumni/Professional Price: $900
Six Sigma Green Belt | DATE: Oct. 7-9 | TIME: 8:30 am – 5 pm (Oct. 7-8); 8:30 am – 1:30 pm (Oct. 9) | PLACE: Furman Hall
Scholarships and Fellowships
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) Accepting Proposals
The NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) is now accepting proposals. The program recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students who are pursuing research-based master's and doctoral degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and in STEM education. The deadline in the category "Computer and Information Science and Engineering; Engineering; Materials Research" is Oct. 25.
OSU Undergrad Research Opportunity: Systems Bio-Medicine
The laboratory of Systems Bio-Medicine at the College of Pharmacy under the direction of Dr. Andrey Morgun (http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/morgunshulzhenkolabs) is seeking several students to be members of a research team. We are seeking students for multiple openings in our lab. The experimental positions will include laboratory maintenance, basic laboratory tasks involving DNA and RNA analysis, and cell culture studies. Previous basic laboratory training or coursework and basic computer skills are required. The computational positions will include computational analysis on next generation sequencing data and network biology. Preference will be given to students proficient in one of the following: R, MySQL, MatLab, Python, C++/C, Java or Perl. This student would be expected to work 10-15 hours per week. To apply, please email Dr. Richard Rodrigues at email@example.com. Please attach a resume including coursework, GPA, and possible hours of availability.
Call for Papers ASEE Annual Conference 2017
The Military and Veterans Constituent Committee (MVCC), a committee of both civilian and military academics, invites papers for the 2017 ASEE Annual Conference in all areas of engineering education that address topics of interest to active duty military and veterans in their pursuit of careers in the engineering profession. These can include Academic Reintegration; Education Pedagogy; Innovative Teaching and Learning Approaches; Models for Military Experience to Academic Recognition; Use of Big Data; Integrating Active Duty and Veteran Student Experience into the Classrooms and Programs; Course and Curriculum Assessment; Integrating Research and Education; Distance Education; Competency Based Education Models; DoD Research Exposure; Communication; and Institutional Veterans Support Programs. MVCC sponsors a Best Paper award consisting of a plaque.
Job and Internship Opportunities
ATI Internship Program
Metal manufacturer ATI seeks interns for its Corporative Work Experience (CWE) program which runs though LBCC and offers paid internships to students who want to gain hands-on work experience with a large company. Pay starts at $11.50 per hour. Any student who is interested should e-mail their current resume and unofficial transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org and let them know that they would like to apply for the CWE Student Environmental Technician position.
HP has several job openings in Corvallis and Vancouver; review complete job descriptions and apply online.
Req. 1506793 | Chemical Engineer | Corvallis
Req. 1503432 | Material Analyst Engineer | Corvallis
Req. 1496087 | Plastics Procurement Engineer | Vancouver
Req. 1506695 | Mechanical Engineer 3D Printing | Vancouver
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- ArcSine Engineering seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Redding, CA, or Medford, OR Job ad expires on: 10/7/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13766
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company has an Engineering Internship (Summer 2017) Location: Denver, CO; Jefferson, WI Job ad expires on: 10/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13592
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company seeks a Production Management Development Location: Davenport, IA; Crete, NE; Bloomfield, MO Job ad expires on: 10/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13593
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company has an Operations Performance Management Development opening Location: Davenport, IA; Crete, NE; Bloomfield, MO Job ad expires on: 10/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13594
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company has an R & D Engineering Management Development opening Location: Clinton, IA; Crete, NE Job ad expires on: 10/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13595
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company has an Engineering Management Development opening Location: Davenport, IA; Clinton, IA; Crete, NE; Bloomfield, MO Job ad expires on: 10/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13596
- J & H Automotive seeks an Auto Tech (ASE Certified or Lube Tech) Location: Tangent, OR Job ad expires on: 10/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13919
- Retronix Semiconductor seeks an Entry Level Field Service Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 10/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13963
- Putnam Associates seeks an Associate Consultant - San Francisco Location Location: San Francisco, CA Job ad expires on: 10/21/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14125
- Tesla Motors seeks a Firmware Engineer Location: Palo Alto, CA Job ad expires on: 10/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14040
- DHL Express seeks an Operation Supervisor Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 10/23/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14059
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto has Engineering Internships Location: Modesto, Livingston, Fresno, CA Job ad expires on: 10/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14072
- Columbia Steel Casting Co., Inc. seeks a Product Engineering Manager Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 10/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14603
- Dassault Systemes has an Education Material Internship Location: Seattle Wa Job ad expires on: 10/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14091
- Nalco Water has a Summer 2017 Internship Location: Vancouver, WA or Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 10/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14520
- Pariveda Solutions seeks a Software Development Consultant Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 10/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13313
- Pariveda Solutions seeks a Software Development Intern Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 10/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13314
- Tesla Motors seeks an Autopilot Software and UI New Grad Location: Palo Alto Job ad expires on: 10/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13681
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group seeks a Project Engineer - Entry Level Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 10/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14145
- Anderson Perry & Associates seeks a Project Engineer (7 to 10+ years experience) Location: Central Oregon Job ad expires on: 10/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 12413
- Anderson Perry & Associates seeks a Project Engineer (7 to 10+ years experience) Location: La Grande, OR Job ad expires on: 10/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 12435
- RuleTek seeks an Associate System Architect Location: Meridian, Idaho Job ad expires on: 10/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14167
- Facebook seeks a Data Center Technician Location: Prineville, OR Job ad expires on: 10/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10524
- Bechtel Marine Propulsion Corporation seeks an Associate Engineer Location: Scoville, Idaho Job ad expires on: 10/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13089
- Precision Castparts Corp. has an Operations Management Development Program Location: various US locations Job ad expires on: 11/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13899
- Rosendin Electric seeks a Summer Intern - Construction Management Location: Multiple positions available nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/5/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14259
- SVN seeks a Commercial Real Estate Advisor Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 11/5/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13788
- Tesla Motors seeks an Integration Engineer Location: Palo Alto Job ad expires on: 11/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14391
- Frontier Rail has a Summer 2017 Transportation Manager Internship for Engineering Graduates Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 11/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14401
- SIEMENS CORPORATION seeks a Technical Sales Intern Summer 2017 (Construction Sales) Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 11/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14445
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration seeks a Junior Officer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14442
- Marten Transport seeks a Fleet Manager Location: Wilsonville, OR Job ad expires on: 11/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14492
- Quicklet seeks a Full-Stack Engineer Location: virtual Job ad expires on: 11/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14481
- InFlight Corporation seeks a Backend Software Developer (Remote) Location: Raleigh, NC Job ad expires on: 11/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14483
- Professional Credit seeks a Client Services Representative Location: Bend, OR Job ad expires on: 11/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14511
- International Paper seeks a REACH Engineer Location: nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/20/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14534
- International Paper seeks a REACH Co-op/Intern Location: nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/20/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14535
- Silicon Valley Bank seeks an Associate Development Program - January 2017 Location: Boston or Palo Alto Job ad expires on: 11/21/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 12711
- Concrete Technology Corporation seeks a Project Manager Location: Tacoma, WA Job ad expires on: 11/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14565
- Translations.com seeks a Project Coordinator Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 11/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14592
- Eaton Corporation seeks a Non-Rotational Operations Leadership Development Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14090
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Range Safety Officer (RSO) Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 12897
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Case Western Reserve University is seeking applications for a tenure-track faculty position in thermal-fluid sciences. Apply by Oct. 21.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Mississippi State University is seeking candidates for four tenure-track faculty positions in multiple areas, including Energy Systems, Alternative and Renewable Energy, Heat Transfer, Dynamics and Vibrations, Mechanical Design, Solid Mechanics and Computational Engineering/HPC. Apply by Nov. 1.
- The H. Milton Stewart School of Industrial & Systems Engineering of Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Georgia has multiple openings for Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor positions from all research areas, including advanced manufacturing, analytics, applied probability and stochastic systems, economic decision analysis, health systems, machine learning, optimization, quantitative and computational finance, simulation, statistics, supply chain and logistics, and system informatics and control. Application is now open.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Catholic University of America is actively seeking to recruit a tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor of mechanical engineering. Open until filled.
- The Harold and Inge Marcus Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering at The Pennsylvania State University seeks 3-4 outstanding tenure-track hires, considering candidates in the areas of smart manufacturing, healthcare, supply chain management, quality/reliability, human centered design, big data analytics, and/or energy systems. Open until filled.
- The Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has opportunities for an endowed career development chair, Chatter Chair, for exceptional candidates in the area of energy harvesting and storage, and also an open tenure/tenure-track Energy Science and Engineering position. Open until filled.
- The Department of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign invites applications for at least three full-time open-rank faculty positions in the areas of: Systems Engineering and Design (position is supported by a $2M endowment); Healthcare Systems Engineering and Cognitive Engineering - especially aging populations; Controls/Optimization/Operations Research; Internet of Things/Analytics/Big Data Physical Ergonomics/Biomechanics. Apply by Nov. 1
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at California State University, Northridge has tenure-track faculty positions in the areas of mechatronics, robotics, and mechanisms of machinery. Apply by Nov. 7.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara invites applications for two full-time faculty positions in the areas of fluid mechanics (tenure-track Assistant Professor), and micro and nanoscale thermal sciences and their application to energy systems (tenure-track Assistant Professor or tenured Associate Professor). Apply by Dec. 9.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Delaware has a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the area of thermal fluids with applications in energy, environment or manufacturing. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York, is seeking candidates for a tenure-track position at the rank of assistant, associate, or full professor in the areas of operations research, production and service systems, manufacturing, and human factors and ergonomics. Apply by Dec. 16.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.