Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial &
Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University
October 13, 2014
This Week's Features
Physics Dept. Hosts Nobel Prize Winner Today, 5 pm
The Physics Department is hosting a discussion, “Particle paleontology: looking for fossils from the early universe inside the electron,” from Dr. Eric Cornell, JILA, NIST & University of Colorado at Boulder. Cornell is the co‐winner of the 2001 Nobel Prize in Physics for achieving Bose‐Einstein condensation in trapped dilute gases of alkali atoms, and for early fundamental studies of the properties of the condensates. Today he discusses how he studies the electron, looking for milliHerz line shifts in the electron spin resonance of trapped metal fluoride ions.
Particle Paleontology | DATE: Mon., Oct. 13 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: Weniger 151
American Society of Metals Leadership Awards for Dr. Atre
The American Society of Metals (ASM) and the Indian Institute of Metals (IIM) have jointly Dr. Sundar Atre me for the 2014 Visiting Lecturership Award. With the award, Dr. Atre will travel to India to teach two seminars and a workshop this year. Dr. Atre is one of five distinguished academics selected for the honor, which was presented at the American Society of Metals Leadership Awards Luncheon in Pittsburgh today.
LA Times Calls up Dr. Smart’s Research
Will robots have legal right in the future? That's what a recent column in the Los Angeles Times asks, and they turn to our robotics faculty for answers. The article references "How should the law think about robots?" -- research from Dr. Bill Smart and his then-colleague, Neil M. Richards, Professor of Law Washington University in St. Louis.
Senior Dinner Resume Book – Upload Your Resume by Wed, Oct 15
Any and ALL-yeared students (grad and undergrad) of EECS-MIME can upload a resume to our Fall 2014 book. We distribute this collection to the valued industry partners of both schools. The deadline is Oct. 15. A few seats are still available for the Oct. 22 dinner, visit the online registration site to do so.
Robotics Club Competition Team Meetings schedule
The first meetings for the Robotics Club competition teams are lined up for this week. Attend as many of these meetings as interest you! The teams are giving presentations about their competitions.
Aerial: Mon., Oct. 13, 5 pm in Covell 221 and Sat., Oct. 18, 3 pm in Covell 221
Rover: Sun., Oct 19, 2 pm in Covell 221
Underwater: Wed., Oct 15, 6 pm in Covell 218
Like Startups? ASHRAE Kickoff Meeting is Oct 15
Students interested in forming the new OSU student chapter of ASHRAE will meet Oct. 15; snacks and drinks will be provided. For students with a strong interest in forming the initial leadership team, please contact Dr. Brian Fronk prior to the meeting. (firstname.lastname@example.org, 324 Rogers).For students interested in ASHRAE at the Bend campus, please contact Dr. Fronk for opportunities to participate remotely with the group in Corvallis.
ASHRAE Kickoff | DATE: Wed., Oct. 15 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
AIAA General Meetings for DBF and ESRA Teams
The general meetings' times and places have been finalized for the week. This is a great chance to get an introduction to these award-winning competitive team. Feel free to stop by and meet the groups!
DBF (Design/Build/Fly) -- Wed. Oct. 15, 6 pm in Rogers 338 (Contact Josh Wilcox (email@example.com) or Danielle Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.)
ESRA (Experimental Sounding Rocketry Association) – Tues., Oct. 14, 6 pm, in Kearney 112 (Contact Michael Vanderputten (email@example.com) or Levi Suryan (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.)
Calling IIE/SME Current and Want-to-be Members
IIE and SME will be holding the first all-member meeting of fall term. The meeting will begin with a student connection activity followed by a presentation on the benefits of joining IIE and SME as well as announcements for upcoming events. All new and returning students who are interested in learning about IIE and SME should attend. Free pizza and drinks will be provided to all who attend.
IIE & SME Kickoff | DATE: Tues, Oct. 14 | TIME: 6-7 pm | LOCATION: Rogers 230
Engineering Leadership Summit
Engineering students are invited to register for the first annual Engineering Leadership Summit at the OSU Memorial Union’s Horizons Room. Network with professionals, enjoy great food and learn about leadership particularly how you can develop as an EP2IC leader in the Engineering Leadership Academy. The Summit also marks the grand-opening of the Engineering Leadership Academy and will serve as a hands-on introduction to the program.
Engineering Leadership Summit | DATE: Sat., Oct. 18 | TIME: 9.30 am to 2.30 pm | PLACE: OSU MU
Mark Your Calendar
"Advancing Your Career in Technology by Earning an MBA,"
Managers of technically oriented organizations need more than a strong technical background to succeed. The Oregon State MBA program helps emerging professionals meet these needs by combining research-based teaching with experiential learning and leadership development opportunities. Students can choose among specializations, including commercialization, business analytics and global operations. Many specializations can be completed in a year. Jim Coakley (Associate Dean) and Brian Precious (MBA Program Director) will discuss the benefits of earning an MBA.
The OSU MBA | DATE: Fri. Oct. 17 | TIME: Noon-1 pm | LOCATION: Metolius Room, Microproducts Breakthrough Institute, 1110 NE Circle Blvd. (HP Corvallis Campus)
Design Engineering Lab Discussion Panel
Have you ever wondered what you’ll need to know in order to be a successful mechanical design researcher? This panel-style seminar, “Best Practices for MIME Design Graduate School” will explore best practices for mechanical design research, drawing on the many years of experience held by the faculty of the Design Engineering Lab. Learn about the research funding process, how to network within your field, standard practices for technical writing and conference presentations. With Dr. Irem Tumer, Dr. Chris Hoyle, Dr. Matt Campbell, Dr. Bob Paasch, and Dr. Rob Stone.
MIME Design Graduate School Info Session | DATE: Fri, Oct. 17 | TIME: 2-3 pm | LOCATION: Rogers 226.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
User-Interface Research Study is Seeking Participants
The research study: “UI Design for the Modern Soldier: Designing Relevant, Intuitive User Interfaces for Complex Laser Targeting Systems” (Principal Investigator: Dr. Ken Funk) is seeking participants. The study is investigating the effects of different user interface designs on usability, learnability, and user preference. Participants will complete two sessions in a two-month period. For compensation, participants receive a $5 Amazon gift card for the first session, and a $10 Amazon gift card for the second session. Please contact Raschelle Barkume (student researcher) at email@example.com.
MPRL Opening Hours - Week 3
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab at their website or download a PDF of this week’s schedule. The fall term schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for the week of Oct 12-Oct 18 is:
Sunday – closed
Monday – 8-10am; 12-1 pm; 3-5 pm
Tuesday – 8-10am; 12-9 pm
Wednesday – 8-10am; 12-3 pm; 5-9pm
Thursday – 8 am to 9 pm
Friday – 8-10am; 12-5pm
Saturday – 9 am to 5 pm
Engineering Study Abroad Info Sessions
Additional OSU Study abroad programs info sessions are scheduled for this month. For more information, visit The HUB (Batcheller 144) or email: COE.Study-Abroad@oregonstate.edu.
Study Abroad in Europe: Tues., Oct. 21; 12 pm & 4 pm; The HUB
Study Abroad in Asia: Tues., Oct. 28; 12 pm & 4 pm; The HUB
$cholarships for Study Abroad: Thurs., Nov. 6; 12 pm & 4 pm; The HUB
Scholarships and Fellowships
IIE – Submit Letter of Interest for Scholarship Opp
Active 2014 graduate or undergraduate student members of IIE can be nominated for IIE scholarships and fellowships. Please check online the eligibility requirements and submit a letter of interest by 5pm on Oct. 17 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you MUST be nominated by the IIE advisor or MIME school head, so please DO NOT submit a nomination using IIE’s online form.
Data Scientist Opportunity
The Data Incubator is an intensive six-week fellowship that prepares postdocs and PhDs in STEM + social science fields seeking industry careers as data scientists. Anyone within one year of graduating from a PhD program or who has already obtained a PhD is welcome to apply.
Job and Internship Opportunities
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Newly posted opportunities are listed first and then in order of closing date:
- FPC of Boise seeks a Machine Design Engineering. Job Location: Mason, MI Job ad expires on: 10/14/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 2333.
- Nanometrics seeks a Software Development Engineer. Job Location: Bend, OR Job ad expires on: 10/17/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 2349.
- CDM Smith seeks an Environmental Engineer 2. Job Location: Walnut Creek, CA Job ad expires on: 10/18/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 2350.
- Oregon Department of Transportation seeks a Research Coordinator (Professional Engineer 1). Job Location: Salem, OR Job ad expires on: 10/20/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 3020.
- Huron Consulting Group seeks a Product Specialist. Job Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 10/22/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 3014.
- Micron Technology, Inc. seeks a Materials Science, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering — Internship. Job Location: Boise, Idaho Job ad expires on: 10/23/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 1894.
- Micron Technology, Inc. seeks an Industrial Engineering — Entry Level. Job Location: Boise, Idaho Job ad expires on: 10/23/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 1896.
- Micron Technology, Inc. seeks a Mechanical Engineering — Entry Level. Job Location: Boise, Idaho Job ad expires on: 10/23/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 1897.
- Micron Technology, Inc. seeks a Materials Science, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering — Entry Level. Job Location: Boise, Idaho Job ad expires on: 10/23/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 1898.
- High Speed Interconnects seeks a Mechanical/Manufacturing Engineer. Job Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 10/24/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 2439.
- Jireh Semiconductor Inc. seeks an Etch Process Engineer. Job Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 10/25/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 2483.
- Jireh Semiconductor Inc. seeks a Diffusion Process Engineer. Job Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 10/25/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 2484.
- Texas Instruments seeks a Design Engineering – MS Minimum FT & Intern. Job Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 10/28/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 2534.
- Texas Instruments seeks a Product Engineer FT/Intern. Job Location: Nationwide. Job ad expires on: 10/28/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 2535.
- Texas Instruments seeks a Semiconductor Manufacturing Engineer FT & Intern. Job Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 10/28/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 2538.
- Texas Instruments seeks a Packaging Engineer FT/Intern. Job Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 10/28/2014 Beaver Careers ID: 2529.
- CDM Smith seeks an Environmental Engineer 2. Job Location: Walnut Creek, CA. Job ad expires on: 10/18/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2350.
- Blount International, Inc. seeks a Tool and Die Design Engineer. Job Location: Portland, Oregon. Job ad expires on: 10/18/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2351.
- Condon-Johnson & Associates seeks a Field Engineer. Job Location: Kent, WA. Job ad expires on: 10/21/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2418.
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Signal or Structures - Operations Management Training Program. Job Location: Various. Job ad expires on: 10/23/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2420.
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments - Operations Management Training Program. Job Location: Various. Job ad expires on: 10/23/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2421.
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Transportation Manager - Operations Management Training Program. Job Location: Various. Job ad expires on: 10/23/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2422.
- Kirkland Associates Ltd. seeks a Mechanical Engineer. Job Location: McMinnville, OR. Job ad expires on: 10/23/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2429.
- Rubicon International seeks a Curriculum Engineer. Job Location: Portland, OR. Job ad expires on: 10/24/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2465.
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Coop. Job Location: Various. Job ad expires on: 10/24/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2573.
- Jireh Semiconductor Inc. seeks an Etch Process Engineer. Job Location: Hillsboro, OR. Job ad expires on: 10/25/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2483.
- Jireh Semiconductor Inc. seeks a Diffusion Process Engineer. Job Location: Hillsboro, OR. Job ad expires on: 10/25/2014. Beaver Careers ID: 2484.
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, is seeking an outstanding research scientist and visionary leader to serve as the Erich Bloch Chair in Materials Science and Engineering and the founding chair of the new Department of Materials Design and Innovation (MDI). Review of applications will begin immediately.
- Missouri University of Science and Technology, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, is now accepting applications for an Assistant Professor in aerospace engineering. (Job #10889, Position #58751).
- Milwaukee School of Engineering invites applications for a faculty position at the Assistant or Associate Professor, Industrial Engineering. Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in the areas of applied statistics, quality, Six Sigma, and reliability. Applications reviewed as received.
- Carnegie Mellon is now accepting applications to fill multiple tenure-track positions in the area of design or innovation theory, methods, and applications, including systems design.
- The School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at Washington State University invites applications for multiple full-time tenure-track or tenured faculty positions. Screening of applicants is ongoing.
- Grand Valley State University (GVSU) is seeking candidates for a tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor within the mechanical engineering program. (No deadline listed).
- California State University, Los Angeles, seeks a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Mechanical Engineering. The position is in any of three aerospace specializations: aerospace engineering, control systems, or solid mechanics. (No deadline listed).
- The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level. Applications accepted until position is filled.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at Wayne State University is seeking applicants for a tenure-track position in internal combustion engines. All applicants must use the online hiring system at http://jobs.wayne.edu, posting 040603. Review of applications begins Oct 17.
- The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at the University of Iowa invites applications and nominations for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in the area of design and manufacturing. (Job Requisition #64903) Apply by Oct. 24.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Colorado State University invites applications for a tenure/tenure-track faculty position at the level of assistant professor. Candidates with research and teaching expertise in controls with applications to robotics, mechatronics and other related mechanical engineering areas will be given preferential consideration. Apply by Oct. 31.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering has four open-rank faculty openings in the broad areas of operations research, logistics, data analytics or computing, and health systems/human factors engineering. Review of applications begins Nov. 1.
- Michigan Technological University, Department of Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics (ME-EM) invites applications for two tenure-track faculty positions at the Assistant Professor level. Apply by Nov. 14 for full consideration.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Texas at Austin has five open tenure/tenure-track positions for the 2014-2015 recruiting cycle. Application review begins Nov. 15.
- The College of Engineering at Wayne State University seeks applications for the following tenure-track position; Assistant or Associate Professor in Industrial & Systems Engineering Department. All applicants must use the online hiring system at http://jobs.wayne.edu, referring to posting 040601. Application review begins Nov. 15.
- West Virginia University, Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources, invites applicants for an Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. Preference is given to applications responding by Nov. 17.
- The University of South Florida seeks to fill positions for Assistant, Associate, Full Professors of Industrial & Management Systems Engineering. Full consideration will be given to applications received by Nov. 21.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Michigan is seeking candidates for multiple tenured or tenure-track faculty positions, including the fields of Design and Innovation, Computational Thermal/Fluids, and Manufacturing - Metals Processing. Apply by Dec. 1.
- NEW -- The Division of Integrative Systems and Design, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, seeks candidates for two joint appointments with any of the College of Engineering departments of full-time tenured or tenure-track faculty. The tenure or tenure-track home will be in an academic department in the College of Engineering with a 50% joint appointment in the Division of Integrative Systems and Design for instructional and service activities. Apply before Dec. 1.
- Princeton University Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering has openings for two junior faculty (job requisition number 1400675). Apply by Dec. 1.
- NEW -- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is seeking a Head for the Department of Industrial Engineering & Logistics Management. Apply by Dec. 15.
- Southern Methodist University, Department of Mechanical Engineering invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of assistant professor (Position No. 52680). Apply by Dec. 15 for full consideration.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Iowa State University seeks to fill multiple tenure-track or tenured faculty positions. Review of applications is ongoing, but applications must be received by Dec. 31.
- San Jose State University is looking to fill an open faculty position (Associate or Full Professor) in the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department in one of the following areas: Human Factors or Engineering Management. For full consideration, apply by Jan 20, 2015.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue.
For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.