Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
October 10, 2016
This Week's Features
Today: Indigenous People’s Day Community Celebration
Come celebrate Indigenous People's Day at the Native American Longhouse, an OSU celebration honoring the history and living legacies of the first peoples of the Americas. There will be singing, dancing and speakers discussing cultural topics and the Indigenous Peoples’ Day movement. The mayor of Corvallis also will be in attendance to speak about the proclamation, and sign it for the second year in a row. Light refreshments are provided.
Indigenous People’s Day | DATE: Mon., Oct. 10 | TIME: 4 - 5:30 pm | PLACE: Native American Longhouse
Register/RSVP for MIME PechaKucha Event
All MIME student organizations are invited to prepare for a PechaKucha presentation event, a new style of presentation and public speaking, and give a pitch about their group. The PechaKucha format, which allots a speaker 20 slides shown for 20 seconds each, is a framework to develop engaging, short presentation skills as well as to showcase and share information in a social and creative session. The best pitch will win $1,000 for their group, with the runner-up earning $500. (One presenter per group.) The PowerPoint is due on Tues., Oct. 28 by 5 pm. The event is open to all MIME students, faculty and guests, and there will be free pizza. Please register and RSVP by Oct. 28.
PechaKucha Night | DATE: Tues., Nov. 1 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: KEC 1001
Mark Your Calendar
Three More Machining Lab Woodshop Qualification Seminars
The MPRL Lab is conducting three more Machining Lab Woodshop Qualification Seminars -- on Wed., Oct. 12, at 3 pm, and Thurs., Oct. 13, at either 9 am or 12 pm. The 1.5-hour seminars are open to current and former ME 250 students. Students must have their ME 250 name tag with them at the time of the seminar. Each seminar will accommodate 12 people per session, so the first 12 to sign up for either session will be accepted. Register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Woodshop Seminar I | DATE: Wed. Oct. 12 | TIME: 3 pm | PLACE: Rogers 106
Woodshop Seminar II | DATE: Thurs. Oct. 13 | TIME: 9 am | PLACE: Rogers 106
Woodshop Seminar III | DATE: Thurs. Oct. 13 | TIME: 12 pm | PLACE: Rogers 106
This Week: “Intel Day” Open House and Tech Talk
Intel Corporation is visiting campus this week with representatives available for an open-house session regarding the many opportunities for graduates with STEM degrees, followed by an evening technical talk, wherein the discussion will cover Intel’s silicon process technology with an emphasis on scaling electronic devices. The recruiters are looking for the chance to speak to both undergraduate and graduate students, and food and refreshments will be provided at the sessions.
Intel Open House | DATE: Wed., Oct. 12 | TIME: 11 am - 3 pm | PLACE: KEC 1005 & 1007
Intel Tech Talk | DATE: Wed., Oct. 12 | TIME: 5 - 7 pm | PLACE: Weniger 116
School of NSE Professor Invited as Seminar Speaker
Dr. Wade Marcum, OSU School of Nuclear Science and Engineering will present "Activities Regarding Fluid-Structure Interaction Experiments" as part of the MIME Thermal-Fluid Sciences Seminar series.
Dr. Marcum is an associate professor in the School of Nuclear Science and Engineering at Oregon State
Thermal-Fluid Sciences | DATE: Fri., Oct. 14 | TIME: 1 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Ran-Tech Engineering Aerospace
ASME has invited all students to an informational session with industry representatives from Ran-Tech Engineering Aerospace, a manufacturer of sheet metal and machined parts. Ran-Tech also will host a facility tour in Milwaukie, Oregon this Friday, and interested students should email students Heather Vermilyea to reserve a space.
Ran-Tech Session | DATE: Tues., Oct. 11 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: Kearney 112
Ran-Tech Tour | DATE: Tues., Oct. 14 | TIME: 2 pm | PLACE: Milwaukie, OR
MIME Special Seminar with MIT’s Dr. Slocum
Dr. Alex Slocum, the Pappalardo Professor of Mechanical Engineering at MIT, will be giving a special MIME seminar at 4pm on Friday, October 21. Professor Slocum's primary research area is design, and extends into areas including manufacturing, clean energy, and biomedical devices. His seminar will focus on "Symbiotic Systems for Energy, Water, and Food."
MIME Seminar | DATE: Fri., Oct. 21 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: tba
Women’s Leadership Lecture Series
The College of Business invites students to a seminar "Diversity & Decision Making: The Importance of Women in the Boardroom" with Patty Bedient, forest industry expert, corporate board member and community leader. Bedient is a retired executive vice president of Weyerhaeuser Co. The event is part of the "Susan J. McGregor Memorial Lecture on Women’s Leadership" series.
Women in the Boardroom | DATE: Thurs., Nov. 3 | TIME: 7 pm | PLACE: LaSells Stewart Center, Austin Auditorium
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin. This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
OSU-Cascades Energy Systems Engineering Program
School of MIME faculty from the OSU-Cascades campus in Bend, Ore., will visit this month to meet with students interested in the Energy Systems Engineering (ESE) undergraduate program. Drs. Robin Feuerbacher and Rebecca Webb will be hosting an informational session for pre-engineering students on Wednesday, Oct. 26th from 12-1 pm in Rogers 226. They will also be available to answer questions about the program from 1 – 2 pm in the same room. Come learn about this in-demand career track, and how the undergrad program fits into your academic plan.
ESE Info Session | DATE: Wed., Oct. 26 | TIME: 12-1 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
ESE Q&A | DATE: Wed., Oct. 26 | TIME: 1-2 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Institute for Broadening Participation Announces Application Season
The Institute for Broadening Participation has a large number of upcoming graduate fellowship and undergraduate scholarship deadlines. Many programs have application deadlines in the coming weeks and months, so please review their offerings. The mission of the Institute for Broadening Participation is to increase diversity in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) workforce. We design and implement strategies to increase access to STEM education, funding, and careers, with special emphasis on reaching and supporting individuals from underserved communities and underrepresented groups, including underrepresented minorities, women, persons with disabilities, first generation college students, and students from underserved communities.
MPRL Opening Hours – Fall Term, Week Three
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 12 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 12 – 2; 4- 9 pm | Wednesday – 12 - 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 2 - 9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Fall 2016 Study Tables
Another great reason to visit the beautiful new Johnson Hall -- the Engineering Commons in Johnson Hall will be the site for the Fall 2016 Study Tables, and the schedule is newly released. Check in with the advisors there, and get studying with your fellow students to inspire each other and succeed together.
Six Sigma Green Belt | DATE: Oct. 7-9 | TIME: 8:30 am – 5 pm (Oct. 7-8); 8:30 am – 1:30 pm (Oct. 9) | PLACE: Furman Hall
Scholarships and Fellowships
NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) Accepting Proposals
The NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) is now accepting proposals. The program recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students who are pursuing research-based master's and doctoral degrees in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and in STEM education. The deadline in the category "Computer and Information Science and Engineering; Engineering; Materials Research" is Oct. 25.
OSU Undergrad Research Opportunity: Systems Bio-Medicine
The laboratory of Systems Bio-Medicine at the College of Pharmacy under the direction of Dr. Andrey Morgun (http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/morgunshulzhenkolabs) is seeking several students to be members of a research team. We are seeking students for multiple openings in our lab. The experimental positions will include laboratory maintenance, basic laboratory tasks involving DNA and RNA analysis, and cell culture studies. Previous basic laboratory training or coursework and basic computer skills are required. The computational positions will include computational analysis on next generation sequencing data and network biology. Preference will be given to students proficient in one of the following: R, MySQL, MatLab, Python, C++/C, Java or Perl. This student would be expected to work 10-15 hours per week. To apply, please email Dr. Richard Rodrigues at email@example.com. Please attach a resume including coursework, GPA, and possible hours of availability.
Call for Papers ASEE Annual Conference 2017
The Military and Veterans Constituent Committee (MVCC), a committee of both civilian and military academics, invites papers for the 2017 ASEE Annual Conference in all areas of engineering education that address topics of interest to active duty military and veterans in their pursuit of careers in the engineering profession. These can include Academic Reintegration; Education Pedagogy; Innovative Teaching and Learning Approaches; Models for Military Experience to Academic Recognition; Use of Big Data; Integrating Active Duty and Veteran Student Experience into the Classrooms and Programs; Course and Curriculum Assessment; Integrating Research and Education; Distance Education; Competency Based Education Models; DoD Research Exposure; Communication; and Institutional Veterans Support Programs. MVCC sponsors a Best Paper award consisting of a plaque.
Lehigh University Management Science and Engineering
The Industrial and Systems Engineering Department at Lehigh University is pleased to announce the availability of a fellowship opportunity for those individuals wishing to advance their knowledge in Management Science and Engineering. The fellowship, provides for full tuition toward 30 credits of master’s degree study (no stipend is provided). Apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Insitu seeks a software engineer to be a member of our Simulation Team supporting our Unmanned Aircraft Systems that are in continuous development, operating in multiple countries throughout the world performing diverse, critical missions for our clients.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company has an Engineering Internship (Summer 2017) Location: Denver, CO; Jefferson, WI Job ad expires on: 10/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13592
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company seeks a Production Management Development Location: Davenport, IA; Crete, NE; Bloomfield, MO Job ad expires on: 10/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13593
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company seeks an Operations Performance Management Development Location: Davenport, IA; Crete, NE; Bloomfield, MO Job ad expires on: 10/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13594
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company seeks an R & D Engineering Management Development Location: Clinton, IA; Crete, NE Job ad expires on: 10/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13595
- Nestle Purina PetCare Company seeks an Engineering Management Development Location: Davenport, IA; Clinton, IA; Crete, NE; Bloomfield, MO Job ad expires on: 10/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13596
- J & H Automotive seeks an Auto Tech (ASE Certified or Lube Tech) Location: Tangent, OR Job ad expires on: 10/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13919
- Retronix Semiconductor seeks an Entry Level Field Service Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 10/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13963
- Tesla Motors seeks a Firmware Engineer Location: Palo Alto, CA Job ad expires on: 10/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14040
- DHL Express seeks an Operation Supervisor Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 10/23/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14059
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto has Engineering Internships (6 months) Location: Modesto, Livingston, Fresno, CA Job ad expires on: 10/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14072
- Columbia Steel Casting Co., Inc. seeks a Product Engineering Manager Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 10/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14603
- Dassault Systemes seeks an Education Material Internship Location: Seattle Wa Job ad expires on: 10/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14091
- Hitachi Consulting seeks a Consultant Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 10/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 12523
- Nalco Water seeks a Summer 2017 Internship Location: Vancouver, WA or Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 10/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14520
- Pariveda Solutions seeks a Software Development Intern Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 10/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13314
- Tesla Motors seeks an Autopilot Software and UI New Grad Location: Palo Alto Job ad expires on: 10/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13681
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group seeks a Project Engineer - Entry Level Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 10/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14145
- Anderson Perry & Associates seeks a Project Engineer (7 to 10+ years experience) Location: Central Oregon Job ad expires on: 10/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 12413
- Anderson Perry & Associates seeks a Project Engineer (7 to 10+ years experience) Location: La Grande, OR Job ad expires on: 10/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 12435
- RuleTek seeks an Associate System Architect Location: Meridian, Idaho Job ad expires on: 10/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14167
- Facebook seeks a Data Center Technician Location: Prineville, OR Job ad expires on: 10/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10524
- Bechtel Marine Propulsion Corporation seeks an Associate Engineer Location: Scoville, Idaho Job ad expires on: 10/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13089
- NIKE, Inc. seeks a Nike Digital Intern Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 10/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14760
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks an Operations Management Development Program Location: various US locations Job ad expires on: 11/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13899
- Tesla Motors seeks an Integration Engineer Location: Palo Alto Job ad expires on: 11/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14391
- Frontier Rail seeks a Summer 2017 Transportation Manager Internship for Engineering Graduates Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 11/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14401
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration seeks a Junior Officer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14442
- Marten Transport seeks a Fleet Manager Location: Wilsonville, OR Job ad expires on: 11/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14492
- Quicklet seeks a Full-Stack Engineer Location: virtual Job ad expires on: 11/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14481
- InFlight Corporation seeks a Backend Software Developer (Remote) Location: Raleigh, NC Job ad expires on: 11/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14483
- International Paper seeks a REACH Engineer Location: nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/20/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14534
- International Paper seeks a REACH Co-op/Intern Location: nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/20/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14535
- Concrete Technology Corporation seeks a Project Manager Location: Tacoma, WA Job ad expires on: 11/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14565
- Translations.com seeks a Project Coordinator Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 11/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14592
- SCHREIBER FOODS, INC. seeks a Production Supervisor Location: Multiple Locations Job ad expires on: 11/28/2016
- Beaver Careers ID: 14689
- Eaton Corporation seeks a Non-Rotational Operations Leadership Development Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14090
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Range Safety Officer (RSO) Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 12897
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Case Western Reserve University is seeking applications for a tenure-track faculty position in thermal-fluid sciences. Apply by Oct. 21.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Mississippi State University is seeking candidates for four tenure-track faculty positions in multiple areas, including Energy Systems, Alternative and Renewable Energy, Heat Transfer, Dynamics and Vibrations, Mechanical Design, Solid Mechanics and Computational Engineering/HPC. Apply by Nov. 1.
- The H. Milton Stewart School of Industrial & Systems Engineering of Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Georgia has multiple openings for Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor positions from all research areas, including advanced manufacturing, analytics, applied probability and stochastic systems, economic decision analysis, health systems, machine learning, optimization, quantitative and computational finance, simulation, statistics, supply chain and logistics, and system informatics and control. Application is now open.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Catholic University of America is actively seeking to recruit a tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor of mechanical engineering. Open until filled.
- The Harold and Inge Marcus Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering at The Pennsylvania State University seeks 3-4 outstanding tenure-track hires, considering candidates in the areas of smart manufacturing, healthcare, supply chain management, quality/reliability, human centered design, big data analytics, and/or energy systems. Open until filled.
- The Department of Mechanical, Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has opportunities for an endowed career development chair, Chatter Chair, for exceptional candidates in the area of energy harvesting and storage, and also an open tenure/tenure-track Energy Science and Engineering position. Open until filled.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is inviting applicants for three job postings: 1) The ME department is searching for candidates in the area of controls (Apply by Dec. 15); 2) The College of Engineering is conducting a broad search in the area of solid mechanics. The candidate can choose their appropriate home department. (Apply by Nov. 1); 3) The Grainger Institute for Engineering is conducting a broad search in the area of energy. The candidate can choose their appropriate home department. (Apply by Dec. 15)
- The Department of Industrial and Enterprise Systems Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign invites applications for at least three full-time open-rank faculty positions in the areas of: Systems Engineering and Design (position is supported by a $2M endowment); Healthcare Systems Engineering and Cognitive Engineering - especially aging populations; Controls/Optimization/Operations Research; Internet of Things/Analytics/Big Data Physical Ergonomics/Biomechanics. Apply by Nov. 1
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at California State University, Northridge has tenure-track faculty positions in the areas of mechatronics, robotics, and mechanisms of machinery. Apply by Nov. 7.
- NEW -- The Department of Industrial and System Engineering (ISE) at Rutgers University seeks candidates for a tenure-track position contributing to advances in manufacturing or energy fields. Apply by Nov. 9.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Utah invites applications for three tenure track positions in the areas of i) solid mechanics, ii) design and/or manufacturing, and iii) thermal sciences. Apply by Dec. 1.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara invites applications for two full-time faculty positions in the areas of fluid mechanics (tenure-track Assistant Professor), and micro and nanoscale thermal sciences and their application to energy systems (tenure-track Assistant Professor or tenured Associate Professor). Apply by Dec. 9.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Delaware has a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the area of thermal fluids with applications in energy, environment or manufacturing. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York, is seeking candidates for a tenure-track position at the rank of assistant, associate, or full professor in the areas of operations research, production and service systems, manufacturing, and human factors and ergonomics. Apply by Dec. 16.
- NEW -- The Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)-Chicago has faculty positions available in the areas of (1) autonomous systems and (2) materials. Apply by Jan. 1, 2017.
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.