Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
November 28, 2016
This Week's Features
Drone Project Aim to Improve Inspections for Pacific Power
A team of researchers from the School of MIME, CCE, EECS, the OSU Research Office, and VDOS Global conducted drone flights at a Pacific Power substation facility near Brownsville, Oregon, as part of a project to improve facility inspections using unmanned aerial systems (UAS). This collaborative project, funded by the Bonneville Power Administration, is aimed to increase the accuracy, breadth, and safety of power transmission inspections by incorporating UAS into the process. The mission was conducted according to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules and under the OSU Certificate of Authorization (COA) issued by the FAA.
Dr. Roberto Albertani (Lead-PI, MIME), Dr. Chris Parrish and Dr. Yelda Turkan (CCE), and Dr. Cotilla-Sanchez (EECS) with graduate research assistants Farid Javadnejad (CCE) and Will Maurer (MIME) are the investigators who are forging a path for the use of UAS in this novel and public application. More flight missions will follow on solar energy facilities on campus, wind turbines and BPA facilities in the state of Washington.
“Tastes of the World” Potluck Dinner for Grad Students -- You are Invited!
In the season of celebration -- and in celebrating the diversity of our graduate students -- the School of MIME invites all faculty and grad students to an end-of-term “Tastes of the World” Potluck Dinner. What is a potluck, you ask? Well, a potluck is a community meal to which everyone brings food to share. What to bring: A dish that will serve 4-6 people and offers a taste of your culture or heritage. Also, please bring a serving utensil for your dish. Use this survey link to RSVP, and describe the food you will bring. We are really looking forward to this; see you there!
"Tastes of the World" Potluck | DATE: Fri., Dec. 2 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: LaSells Stewart Center, main gallery
ESE Student Helps Hospital ER Work Flow
Scottie Declos, an energy systems engineering student interning at the St. Charles Hospital in Bend, is creating a computer simulation model for the hospital's emergency room. The program allows hospital to model changes and optimize work flow with the aim to improve efficiency and quality, and reduce waste. Read the article about Declos’ quality work in the Bend Bulletin.
Registration is Open: College of Engineering Graduate Research Showcase
Attention graduate students: registration for the 2017 Graduate Research Showcase is now open. This year's event will be held in Corvallis at the CH2M Hill Alumni Center on Fri., Feb 17, and it will feature a lineup of professional development workshop sessions in the morning, and an afternoon poster session. There are 300 poster presentation spots available, and a limited number of workshop seats available. Entry to both will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. One student presenter per project may register to present. Please obtain your advisor's approval prior to registering. Your advisor will be contacted upon receipt of your registration to verify approval, thus completing your registration. All College of Engineering graduate students are eligible to attend the professional development workshops.
Mark Your Calendar
Grad School Info Night
The Graduate School will present an informational session on graduate education at Oregon State, covering topics such as the benefits of a graduate degree, paying for graduate education and how to apply. We encourage anyone interested in learning more about graduate education and advanced degrees to attend the session. Light refreshments provided.
Grad Info Night | DATE: Tues., Nov. 29 | TIME: 5:30 pm | PLACE: Native American Longhouse
Visiting Scholar Presentations: US-Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Energy
Please join us for the lightning-style (6-minute long) presentations from U.S. – Pakistan Center for Advanced Studies in Energy (USPCAS-E) scholars. The scholars will be presenting their work completed under the supervision of Dr. Kendra Sharp, Dr. Brian Fronk and Dr. Dave Hill in Thermal Energy and Hydro Power/Climate. Refreshments will be served.
Pakistan Visiting Scholar Presentations | DATE: Wed., Nov. 30 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Come join the members of IISE and take a break from studying and group projects as we wrap up fall term with a friendly game of dodgeball. Everyone is welcome. See you there!
Dead-Week Dodgeball | DATE: Wed., Nov. 30 | TIME: 6-8 pm | PLACE: McAlexander Fieldhouse
MRS Tours the Multi-Functional Thin Film Materials Research Lab
The Materials Research Society invites students to tour the Multi-Functional Thin Film Materials Research Laboratory -- principle investigator, Dr. Brady Gibbons -- at 6 pm on Thurs., Dec. 1. The tour begins with a meetup at 6 pm outside of Dearborn 300. If you would like to attend, please complete the RSVP form.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin. This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Wed., Nov. 30
MIME Graduate Defense: "From Functional Modeling to Optimization: Risk and Safety in the Design Process for Large-Scale Systems," by Matthew McIntire, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering. Major Professor: Dr. Christopher Hoyle. 1 pm, Rogers 226.
Thurs., Dec. 1
MIME Graduate Defense: “Impact of RFID Technology on Replenishment Decisions for Multi-Echelon Supply Chains,” by Myrna Leticia Cavazos Sanchez, candidate for Doctor in Philosophy in Industrial Engineering. Major Professors: Dr. David Porter, & Dr. Hector Vergara. 3 pm, Kearney 311.
Fri., Dec. 2
MIME Graduate Defense: “The Global Consumption Speeds of Premixed Large-Hydrocarbon Fuel/Air Turbulent Bunsen Flames,” by Aaron Jesse Fillo, candidate for Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Major Professor: Dr. David L. Blunck. 5 pm, Rogers 226.
Mon., Dec. 5
MIME Graduate Defense: “GPU based Fluid Structure Interaction using Immersed Boundary Methods,” by Christopher Minar, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Major Professor: Dr. Kyle Niemeyer. 10 am, Rogers 226.
Wed., Dec. 7
MIME Graduate Defense: "Computational Investigation on the Effects of Arc Location in Vacuum Arc Remelting," by Miguel F Soler, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Major Professor: Dr. Kyle E Niemeyer. 10 am, Rogers 226.
Thurs., Dec. 8
MIME Graduate Defense: “Fibers Microbuckling of Uncured Carbon-Epoxy Prepreg in Bending,” by Yizhi Guo, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Major Professor: Dr. Roberto Albertani. 9 am, Rogers 226.
MPRL Opening Hours – Fall Term, Week Ten
The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for next week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 12 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 12 – 2; 4- 9 pm | Wednesday – 12 - 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday 2 - 9 pm | | Saturday – 11 am - 9 pm
Plan for Summer Session!
It’s not too early to make summer plans to travel, work, study and play. This summer, you can do it all when you enroll in summer classes at Oregon State.* Classes range from one to 11 weeks, and summer courses help you stay on track for graduation. Don’t forget, everyone pays in-state tuition. Plan today with your family, friends and academic advisor and discover how you can make this summer your best! Learn more: summer.oregonstate.edu
*Note: OSU Ecampus, VetMed or PharmD classes or INTO students are not eligible.
Graduate Student Services Moves to Dearborn 114
The Graduate Student Services office has moved to the newly remodeled Dearborn 114. Grad students, please check in with Emma Bramwell and Jean Robinson at their new location, and check your mailbox here, too. Also, Phyllis Helvie has moved to Rogers 204 ahead of this week's anticipated start of Dr. Nembhard's new executive assistant.
Scholarships, REUs, Fellowships and Calls for Papers
U.S. Department of Homeland Security 2017 Summer Internships
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Science and Technology Directorate Office of University Programs sponsors a 10-week summer internship program for students majoring in homeland security related science, technology, engineering and mathematics (HS-STEM) disciplines. The program provides students with quality research experiences at federal research facilities located across the country and allows students the opportunity to establish connections with DHS professionals. It is open to undergraduate and graduate students who are U.S. citizens in a broad spectrum of HS-STEM disciplines and DHS mission-relevant research areas. Undergraduate students receive a $6,000 stipend plus travel expenses; graduate students receive a $7,000 stipend plus travel expenses. Apply by Dec. 7.
DOE Scholars Internship Program
Scientific research conducted through the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) supports an improved quality of life for all Americans. With a mission focused on discovering solutions to power and to secure America’s future, DOE is committed to: energy security; nuclear security; scientific discovery and innovation; environmental responsibility; management excellence. The DOE Scholars Program offers unique opportunities that introduce students or post-graduates to the agency’s mission and operations. Participants in the DOE Scholars Program gain a competitive edge as they apply their education, talent and skills in a variety of scientific research settings within the DOE complex. Apply by Dec. 15.
Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program
Penn State’s Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering seeks applicants for an outstanding undergraduate summer research program in the nuclear field at Penn State—the Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program. The Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program is a 10-week paid summer program that provides an opportunity for undergraduates to obtain hands-on research experience and professional development in the nuclear field at Penn State. Students will work closely with a faculty mentor on a state-of-the-art nuclear research project, and will have opportunities to network with industry representatives and participate in site visits to locations such as Three Mile Island. The program runs from May 30—August 4, 2017. Fellows will receive a $6000 stipend as well as on-campus housing. Apply by January 31, 2017.
Columbia University REU 2017
The Columbia University Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Summer 2017 seeks Undergraduates (preference to juniors) majoring in engineering disciplines, materials science, biology, chemistry, physics and related fields. The PAS3 led by Columbia University in partnership with City College of New York, Harvard University, Barnard College, and the University of the Virgin Islands, encompasses two Interdisciplinary Research Groups (IRGs) studying materials composed of atomically precise low-dimensional building blocks: two-dimensional atomic sheets and zero-dimensional molecular clusters. Apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education Summer Research
The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education has opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, along with recent master’s and doctoral graduates, to participate in energy related research. Apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
Lehigh University Management Science and Engineering
The Industrial and Systems Engineering Department at Lehigh University is pleased to announce the availability of a fellowship opportunity for those individuals wishing to advance their knowledge in Management Science and Engineering. The fellowship, provides for full tuition toward 30 credits of master’s degree study (no stipend is provided). Apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
Hydro Research Foundation 2017 Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation makes one-year awards to students researching conventional or pumped storage hydropower through a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy program of the U.S. Department of Energy. Apply by March 15, 2017.
Job and Internship Opportunities
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Eaton Corporation has a Non-Rotational Operations Leadership Development Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14090
- AXA Advisors seeks a Financial Consultant Location: Lancaster, PA Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14446
- Nitori Holdings Co., Ltd. has a International Trainee Position (based in Japan) Location: Tokyo metropolitan area Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14437
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Range Safety Officer (RSO) Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 12897
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Entry Level Field/Office Engineer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15111
- Columbia Steel Casting Co., Inc. seeks a Product Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 12/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15240
- NIKE, Inc. seeks a Nike Digital Intern Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 12/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15282
- Micron Technology, Inc. seeks a Micron Technology, Inc Engineering Intern Location: Boise, ID Job ad expires on: 12/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14773
- Shell Oil Company seeks a Mechanical Engineering Opportunities Now Available at Shell Oil Company! Location: Anacortes, WA Job ad expires on: 12/8/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15320
- Johnson Controls seeks a HVAC Controls Systems Designer I Location: Milwaukie, OR Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14852
- Chase Doors Division of Senneca seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Redmond, Oregon Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14854
- Georgia-Pacific LLC seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14856
- Georgia-Pacific LLC seeks an Entry Level Engineer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14857
- Paradigm Construction LLC seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu Job ad expires on: 12/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10782
- Retronix Semiconductor seeks an Entry Level Field Service Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 12/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15034
- Buckeye International seeks a Healthcare Sales Specialist (Portland) Location: Portland, Oregon area Job ad expires on: 12/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15040
- Advance Testing Company, Inc. seeks an Engineering Technician Location: Campbell Hall Job ad expires on: 12/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13037
- Precision Measurements and Instruments Corporation (PMIC) seeks a Project Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14242
- Target Corporation seeks an Executive Intern Location: Various cities in the Northwest Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14181
- Target Corporation seeks an Operations Manager Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14183
- Advance Testing Company, Inc. seeks an Engineering Technician Location: Campbell Hall Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15216
- Target Corporation seeks an Operations Manager Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7118
- adidas seeks a Store Operations Manager – Best Practices / Process Improvement Location: Portland Job ad expires on: 1/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15020
- Adpearance seeks a Communication Analyst Intern Location: Remote Job ad expires on: 1/3/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 13882
- Huber Engineered Woods LLC seeks a Quality Assurance Technician Location: Commerce, GA Job ad expires on: 1/8/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15335
- Target Corporation seeks an Executive Team Leader Location: Various Cities in the Pacific Northwest Job ad expires on: 1/9/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15238
- CH2M HILL seeks a 2017 CAD Technician Intern - VA Location: Virginia Job ad expires on: 1/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15518
- CH2M HILL seeks a 2017 Instrumentation and Controls Intern - OR Location: Oregon Job ad expires on: 1/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15540
- CH2M HILL seeks a 2017 Mechanical Engineering Intern - Eastern US Location: Eastern, US Job ad expires on: 1/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15541
- Linn County General Services seeks a Temporary Drafter/Revit Intern Location: Albany, Oregon Job ad expires on: 1/30/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 14436
- ENERGY NORTHWEST seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: 1/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 13938
- G. Loomis, Inc. seeks a Product Design & Development Engineer Location: Woodland, WA Job ad expires on: 2/3/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15308
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The Department of Manufacturing Engineering at Georgia Southern University is conducting faculty searches for a new program in manufacturing engineering with four open positions at the Assistant Professor level. The preferred degrees are in Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering and related fields depending on the position. Open until filled.
- The U.S. Coast Guard Academy is soliciting applications for a tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering. Desired areas of expertise include robotics and controls emphasis, although related areas will be considered. Apply by Nov. 28.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Kentucky currently has two open positions: 1. A Tenure-Track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level in the area of Autonomous Systems or Robotics. Apply by Dec. 1. 2. A Lecturer position (non tenure-track) at the Paducah campus in western Kentucky. Apply by Nov. 30.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Utah invites applications for three tenure track positions in the areas of i) solid mechanics, ii) design and/or manufacturing, and iii) thermal sciences. Apply by Dec. 1.
- The Systems and Industrial Engineering (SIE) Department at the University of Arizona invites applications and nominations for a tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level. The department is seeking individuals with a rigorous foundation in one or more areas related to Systems Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, and/or Engineering Management with a particular focus on (1) Human Cognition Systems and (2) Data Science and Analytics. Apply by Dec. 5.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department of Virginia Tech has three open tenure-track or tenured faculty positions. 1. Combustion (open rank), job number TR0160122; 2. Design & Advanced Manufacturing (Assistant and Associate Professor level), job number TR0160125; 3. Dynamic Systems and Control (open rank), job number TR0160124. Apply by Dec. 5.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara invites applications for two full-time faculty positions in the areas of fluid mechanics (tenure-track Assistant Professor), and micro and nanoscale thermal sciences and their application to energy systems (tenure-track Assistant Professor or tenured Associate Professor). Apply by Dec. 9.
- The Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics Department at the University of Pennsylvania has two open tenure-track positions, one in Robotics and Controls and the other in Scientific Computation. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is inviting applicants for two job postings: 1) The ME department is searching for candidates in the area of controls; 2) The Grainger Institute for Engineering is conducting a broad search in the area of energy. The candidate can choose their appropriate home department. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Delaware has a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the area of thermal fluids with applications in energy, environment or manufacturing. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York, is seeking candidates for a tenure-track position at the rank of assistant, associate, or full professor in the areas of operations research, production and service systems, manufacturing, and human factors and ergonomics. Apply by Dec. 16.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Binghamton University (SUNY) seeks candidates for three faculty positions in these areas: 1) Dynamic systems and control, apply by Dec. 31; 2) Design, apply by Dec. 31; 3) Solid mechanics, apply by Dec. 31.
- The Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)-Chicago has faculty positions available in the areas of (1) autonomous systems and (2) materials. Apply by Jan. 1, 2017.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maine invites applications for a tenure track assistant professor in mechanical engineering. The candidate must have a demonstrated track record in engineering design, with an ability to do applied and/or basic research in traditional or emerging areas of interest in mechanical engineering. Apply by Jan. 4, 2017.
- Baylor’s School of Engineering and Computer Science invites applications for the position of Chair of Mechanical Engineering. Apply by Jan. 9, 2017.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Loyola Marymount University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in bioengineering and/or advanced solid mechanics and design at the Assistant Professor level. Apply by Jan. 15, 2017.
- Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville has a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the areas of Mechatronics, Robotics, and Control Systems.
- Apply by Jan. 15, 2017.
- The University of Nevada, Reno Mechanical Engineering Department has three academic faculty openings.
- Two in the area of thermal/fluid science, system dynamics and control, advanced manufacturing, materials processing and/or solid mechanics, and one opening in a mechanical engineering high performance computing field. Apply by Jan. 16, 2017.
- The School of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University invites applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE), 9-month tenure-track faculty position in the Energy Systems Engineering program at the rank of assistant or associate professor. Successful candidates will teach undergraduate and graduate courses and will direct a robust program of externally-sponsored research with an energy focus. Apply by Jan. 31, 2017.
- The University of California, Berkeley, Department of Mechanical Engineering seeks applications for a tenure-track, assistant professor in mechanical engineering in the areas of Design, Robotics, Applied Energy Systems, and Nanoscale Systems Engineering. Apply by Jan. 31, 2017.
- The newly established Mechanical Engineering program at the University of West Florida has two faculty openings. One position will be based in Pensacola and the other at our satellite campus in Fort Walton Beach. Apply by Jan. 31, 2017.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.