Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
November 21, 2016
This Week's Features
“Tastes of the World” Potluck Dinner for Grad Students -- You are Invited!
In the season of celebration -- and in celebrating the diversity of our graduate students -- the School of MIME invites all faculty and grad students to an end-of-term “Tastes of the World” Potluck Dinner. What is a potluck, you ask? Well, a potluck is a community meal to which everyone brings food to share. What to bring: A dish that will serve 4-6 people and offers a taste of your culture or heritage. Also, please bring a serving utensil for your dish. Use this survey link to RSVP, and describe the food you will bring. We are really looking forward to this; see you there!
"Tastes of the World" Potluck | DATE: Fri., Dec. 2 | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: LaSells Stewart Center, main gallery
Dr. Logendran Honored by Alma Mater, Oklahoma State University
Dr. R. Logen Logendran has been inducted into the inaugural 2016 Cowboy Academy of Industrial Engineering and Management (IEM) at Oklahoma State University (OSU). This is a significant honor, which recognizes and celebrates lifetime achievements of IEM alumni; Dr. Logendran received his Ph.D. degree in Industrial Engineering and Management in 1984. The honor was formally conferred by the School of IEM at the Annual IEM Awards Banquet held in Stillwater, Okla., on November 17. Congratulations!
Dr. Doolen Receives Engineering Management Fellow Award
Dr. Toni Doolen was elected to receive the 2016 American Society for Engineering Management (ASEM) Fellow Award. This award represents the highest level of membership in ASEM and is presented annually to selected candidates who have eight years of continuous membership in ASEM with significant service, demonstrated engineering management accomplishments, and continuing distinguished service and contributions to the Society. Dr. Doolen currently serves as dean of the Honors College, a professor in the School of MIME, and a co-editor of the Engineering Management Journal. Dr. Doolen is also a Fellow of the Society of Women Engineers and the Institute of Industrial & Systems Engineers.
Engineering Out Loud – Episode 1
Episode 1 of the College of Engineering’s new podcast Engineering Out Loud is live! The first episode in the season’s investigation into data science and engineering cover the “Pros & Cons” To kick off the podcast season on the topic, Tom Dietterich, distinguished professor of computer science, explains what it is, how it is related to Big Data, and shares his thoughts on the pros and cons. To listen, tune in at engineeringoutloud.oregonstate.edu.
Registration is Open: College of Engineering Graduate Research Showcase
Attention graduate students: registration for the 2017 Graduate Research Showcase is now open. This year's event will be held in Corvallis at the CH2M Hill Alumni Center on Fri., Feb 17, and it will feature a lineup of professional development workshop sessions in the morning, and an afternoon poster session. There are 300 poster presentation spots available, and a limited number of workshop seats available. Entry to both will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. One student presenter per project may register to present. Please obtain your advisor's approval prior to registering. Your advisor will be contacted upon receipt of your registration to verify approval, thus completing your registration. All College of Engineering graduate students are eligible to attend the professional development workshops.
Mark Your Calendar
Grad School Info Night
The Graduate School will present an informational session on Graduate Education at Oregon State, covering topics such as the benefits of a graduate degree, paying for graduate education and how to apply. We encourage anyone interested in learning more about graduate education and advanced degrees to attend the session. Light refreshments provided.
Grad Info Night | DATE: Tues., Nov. 29 | TIME: 5:30 pm | PLACE: Native American Longhouse
URSA Engage: Workshop Today and January 19
Undergraduate first-year, second-year, and transfer students have the opportunity to learn more about the URSA Engage awards, which offer all OSU students the opportunities to pursue research or a creative activity under the guidance of an OSU mentor. Awardees are expected to spend an average of 5 hours a week for the 15-week duration of the project (mid-Winter 2017 to the end of Spring 2017). The program will provide $750 for the undergraduate URSA Engage awardees, and $250 in the form of development funds for mentors.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin. This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Mon., Nov. 21
MIME Graduate Defense: "Integrated Intermodal Logistics Network Design," by Mohammad Ghane-Ezabadi, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial Engineering. Major Professor: Dr. Hector A. Vergara. 2 PM, Rogers 226.
Mon., Nov. 28
MIME Graduate Defense: "Electronic and Ionic Conduction Processes in (Bi0.5Na0.5)TiO3-based Thin Films," by Joel Walenza-Slabe, candidate for Doctor of Materials Science. Major Professor: Dr. Brady J. Gibbons. 12 pm, Rogers 226.
Thurs., Dec. 1
MIME Graduate Defense: “Impact of RFID Technology on Replenishment Decisions for Multi-Echelon Supply Chains,” by Myrna Leticia Cavazos Sanchez, candidate for Doctor in Philosophy in Industrial Engineering. Major Professors: Dr. David Porter, & Dr. Hector Vergara. 3 pm, Kearney 311.
Fri., Dec. 2
MIME Graduate Defense: “The Global Consumption Speeds of Premixed Large-Hydrocarbon Fuel/Air Turbulent Bunsen Flames,” by Aaron Jesse Fillo, candidate for Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Major Professor: Dr. David L. Blunck. 5 pm, Rogers 226.
Mon., Dec. 5
MIME Graduate Defense: “GPU based Fluid Structure Interaction using Immersed Boundary Methods,” by Christopher Minar, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Major Professor: Dr. Kyle Niemeyer. 10 am, Rogers 226
MRS Tours the Multi-Functional Thin Film Materials Research Lab
The Materials Research Society invites students to tour the Multi-Functional Thin Film Materials Research Laboratory -- principle investigator, Dr. Brady Gibbons -- at 6 pm on Thurs., Dec. 1. The tour begins with a meetup at 6 pm outside of Dearborn 300. If you would like to attend, please complete the RSVP form.
MPRL Opening Hours – Fall Term, Week Nine, Thanksgiving Closures
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 12 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 12 – 2; 4- 9 pm | Wednesday – 12 - 5 pm | Thursday – closed | Friday – closed | | Saturday – closed
MPRL Opening Hours – Fall Term, Week Ten
The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for next week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 12 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 12 – 2; 4- 9 pm | Wednesday – 12 - 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday 2 - 9 pm | | Saturday – 11 am - 9 pm
Scholarships, REUs, Fellowships and Calls for Papers
Institute for Broadening Participation Announces Application Season
The Institute for Broadening Participation has a large number of upcoming graduate fellowship and undergraduate scholarship deadlines. Many programs have application deadlines in the coming weeks and months, so please review their offerings. The mission of the Institute for Broadening Participation is to increase diversity in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) workforce. We design and implement strategies to increase access to STEM education, funding, and careers, with special emphasis on reaching and supporting individuals from underserved communities and underrepresented groups, including underrepresented minorities, women, persons with disabilities, first generation college students, and students from underserved communities.
OSU Undergrad Research Opportunity: Systems Bio-Medicine
The laboratory of Systems Bio-Medicine at the College of Pharmacy under the direction of Dr. Andrey Morgun (http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/morgunshulzhenkolabs) is seeking several students to be members of a research team. We are seeking students for multiple openings in our lab. The experimental positions will include laboratory maintenance, basic laboratory tasks involving DNA and RNA analysis, and cell culture studies. Previous basic laboratory training or coursework and basic computer skills are required. The computational positions will include computational analysis on next generation sequencing data and network biology. Preference will be given to students proficient in one of the following: R, MySQL, MatLab, Python, C++/C, Java or Perl. This student would be expected to work 10-15 hours per week. To apply, please email Dr. Richard Rodrigues at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please attach a resume including coursework, GPA, and possible hours of availability.
U.S. Department of Homeland Security 2017 Summer Internships
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Science and Technology Directorate Office of University Programs sponsors a 10-week summer internship program for students majoring in homeland security related science, technology, engineering and mathematics (HS-STEM) disciplines. The program provides students with quality research experiences at federal research facilities located across the country and allows students the opportunity to establish connections with DHS professionals. It is open to undergraduate and graduate students who are U.S. citizens in a broad spectrum of HS-STEM disciplines and DHS mission-relevant research areas. Undergraduate students receive a $6,000 stipend plus travel expenses; graduate students receive a $7,000 stipend plus travel expenses. Apply by Dec. 7.
DOE Scholars Internship Program
Scientific research conducted through the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) supports an improved quality of life for all Americans. With a mission focused on discovering solutions to power and to secure America’s future, DOE is committed to: energy security; nuclear security; scientific discovery and innovation; environmental responsibility; management excellence. The DOE Scholars Program offers unique opportunities that introduce students or post-graduates to the agency’s mission and operations. Participants in the DOE Scholars Program gain a competitive edge as they apply their education, talent and skills in a variety of scientific research settings within the DOE complex. Apply by Dec. 15.
Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program
Penn State’s Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering seeks applicants for an outstanding undergraduate summer research program in the nuclear field at Penn State—the Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program. The Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program is a 10-week paid summer program that provides an opportunity for undergraduates to obtain hands-on research experience and professional development in the nuclear field at Penn State. Students will work closely with a faculty mentor on a state-of-the-art nuclear research project, and will have opportunities to network with industry representatives and participate in site visits to locations such as Three Mile Island. The program runs from May 30—August 4, 2017. Fellows will receive a $6000 stipend as well as on-campus housing. Apply by January 31, 2017.
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education Summer Research
The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education has opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, along with recent master’s and doctoral graduates, to participate in energy related research. Apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
Lehigh University Management Science and Engineering
The Industrial and Systems Engineering Department at Lehigh University is pleased to announce the availability of a fellowship opportunity for those individuals wishing to advance their knowledge in Management Science and Engineering. The fellowship, provides for full tuition toward 30 credits of master’s degree study (no stipend is provided). Apply by Feb. 15, 2017.
Hydro Research Foundation 2017 Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation makes one-year awards to students researching conventional or pumped storage hydropower through a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy program of the U.S. Department of Energy. Apply by March 15, 2017.
Job and Internship Opportunities
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Concrete Technology Corporation seeks a Project Manager Location: Tacoma, WA Job ad expires on: 11/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14565
- NuScale Power seeks a Project Controls Specialist Location: Corvallis Job ad expires on: 11/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14651
- Schreiber Foods seeks an Operations Intern Location: Multiple Locations Job ad expires on: 11/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14688
- Schreiber Foods seeks a Production Supervisor Location: Multiple Locations Job ad expires on: 11/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14689
- Eaton Corporation seeks a Non-Rotational Operations Leadership Development Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14090
- Nitori Holdings Co., Ltd. seeks a Nitori International Trainee Position (based in Japan) Location: Tokyo metropolitan area Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14437
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Range Safety Officer (RSO) Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 12897
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Entry Level Field/Office Engineer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 11/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15111
- Columbia Steel Casting Co., Inc. seeks a Product Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 12/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15240
- NIKE, Inc. seeks a Nike Digital Intern Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 12/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15282
- Micron Technology, Inc. seeks a Micron Technology, Inc Engineering Intern Location: Boise, ID Job ad expires on: 12/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14773
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Quality Assurance Specialist 1 Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 12/7/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14739
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Process Analyst Location: Hillsboro, OR; Job ad expires on: 12/7/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14748
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Materials Planner Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 12/7/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14750
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Supply Chain Analyst Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 12/7/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14838
- Shell Oil Company has Mechanical Engineering Opportunities Location: Anacortes, WA Job ad expires on: 12/8/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15320
- Johnson Controls seeks a HVAC Controls Systems Designer I Location: Milwaukie, OR Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14852
- Chase Doors Division of Senneca seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Redmond, Oregon Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14854
- Georgia-Pacific LLC seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14856
- Georgia-Pacific LLC seeks an Entry Level Engineer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 12/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14857
- Paradigm Construction LLC seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu Job ad expires on: 12/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10782
- MWH Global, now part of Stantec seeks a Project Engineer - Entry Level Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 12/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15437
- Betaseed, Inc. seeks a Systems Administrator Location: Tangent, OR Job ad expires on: 12/17/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14970
- Retronix Semiconductor seeks an Entry Level Field Service Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 12/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15034
- Advance Testing Company, Inc. seeks an Engineering Technician Location: Campbell Hall Job ad expires on: 12/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 13037
- Precision Measurements and Instruments Corporation (PMIC) seeks a Project Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14242
- Target Corporation seeks an Executive Intern Location: Various cities in the Northwest Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14181
- Target Corporation seeks an Operations Manager Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 14183
- Advance Testing Company, Inc. seeks an Engineering Technician Location: Campbell Hall Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 15216
- Target Corporation seeks an Operations Manager Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 12/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7118
- Huber Engineered Woods LLC seeks a Quality Assurance Technician Location: Commerce, GA Job ad expires on: 1/8/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15335
- Target Corporation seeks an Executive Team Leader Location: Various Cities in the Pacific Northwest Job ad expires on: 1/9/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15238
- ENERGY NORTHWEST seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: 1/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 13938
- G. Loomis, Inc. seeks a Product Design & Development Engineer Location: Woodland, WA Job ad expires on: 2/3/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15308
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The Department of Manufacturing Engineering at Georgia Southern University is conducting faculty searches for a new program in manufacturing engineering with four open positions at the Assistant Professor level. The preferred degrees are in Manufacturing or Industrial Engineering and related fields depending on the position. Open until filled.
- The U.S. Coast Guard Academy is soliciting applications for a tenure track Assistant or Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering. Desired areas of expertise include robotics and controls emphasis, although related areas will be considered. Apply by Nov. 28.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Kentucky currently has two open positions: 1. A Tenure-Track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level in the area of Autonomous Systems or Robotics. Apply by Dec. 1. 2. A Lecturer position (non tenure-track) at the Paducah campus in western Kentucky. Apply by Nov. 30.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Utah invites applications for three tenure track positions in the areas of i) solid mechanics, ii) design and/or manufacturing, and iii) thermal sciences. Apply by Dec. 1.
- NEW -- The Systems and Industrial Engineering (SIE) Department at the University of Arizona invites applications and nominations for a tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level. The department is seeking individuals with a rigorous foundation in one or more areas related to Systems Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Operations Research, and/or Engineering Management with a particular focus on (1) Human Cognition Systems and (2) Data Science and Analytics. Apply by Dec. 5.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department of Virginia Tech has three open tenure-track or tenured faculty positions.1. Combustion (open rank), job number TR0160122; 2. Design & Advanced Manufacturing (Assistant and Associate Professor level), job number TR0160125; 3. Dynamic Systems and Control (open rank), job number TR0160124. Apply by Dec. 5.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of California, Santa Barbara invites applications for two full-time faculty positions in the areas of fluid mechanics (tenure-track Assistant Professor), and micro and nanoscale thermal sciences and their application to energy systems (tenure-track Assistant Professor or tenured Associate Professor). Apply by Dec. 9.
- The Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics Department at the University of Pennsylvania has two open tenure-track positions, one in Robotics and Controls and the other in Scientific Computation. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is inviting applicants for two job postings: 1) The ME department is searching for candidates in the area of controls; 2) The Grainger Institute for Engineering is conducting a broad search in the area of energy. The candidate can choose their appropriate home department. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Delaware has a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the area of thermal fluids with applications in energy, environment or manufacturing. Apply by Dec. 15.
- The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering (ISE) at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York, is seeking candidates for a tenure-track position at the rank of assistant, associate, or full professor in the areas of operations research, production and service systems, manufacturing, and human factors and ergonomics. Apply by Dec. 16.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Binghamton University (SUNY) seeks candidates for three faculty positions in these areas: 1) Dynamic systems and control, apply by Dec. 31; 2) Design, apply by Dec. 31; 3) Solid mechanics, apply by Dec. 31.
- The Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)-Chicago has faculty positions available in the areas of (1) autonomous systems and (2) materials. Apply by Jan. 1, 2017.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Maine invites applications for a tenure track assistant professor in mechanical engineering. The candidate must have a demonstrated track record in engineering design, with an ability to do applied and/or basic research in traditional or emerging areas of interest in mechanical engineering. Apply by Jan. 4, 2017.
- Baylor’s School of Engineering and Computer Science invites applications for the position of Chair of Mechanical Engineering. Apply by Jan. 9, 2017.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Loyola Marymount University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in bioengineering and/or advanced solid mechanics and design at the Assistant Professor level. Apply by Jan. 15, 2017.
- Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville has a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the areas of Mechatronics, Robotics, and Control Systems. Apply by Jan. 15, 2017.
- The University of Nevada, Reno Mechanical Engineering Department has three academic faculty openings. Two in the area of thermal/fluid science, system dynamics and control, advanced manufacturing, materials processing and/or solid mechanics, and one opening in a mechanical engineering high performance computing field. Apply by Jan. 16, 2017.
- The University of California, Berkeley, Department of Mechanical Engineering seeks applications for a tenure-track, assistant professor in mechanical engineering in the areas of Design, Robotics, Applied Energy Systems, and Nanoscale Systems Engineering. Apply by Jan. 31, 2017.
- The newly established Mechanical Engineering program at the University of West Florida has two faculty openings. One position will be based in Pensacola and the other at our satellite campus in Fort Walton Beach. Apply by Jan. 31, 2017.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.