This Week's Features | Mark Your Calendar | Announcements | Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships | Jobs and Internships | Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
This Week's Features
We're not getting Luke Skywalker's prosthetics any time soon [Engaget]
Our sense of touch is what enables us to feel when a glass is slipping from our grasp and tighten our grip without squeezing down hard enough to shatter it. Not so with robotic hands, Dr. Ravi Balasubramanian of Oregon State University explained during a recent interview. "Even if there are 10 or 20 sensors on a robot hand, the designer will be extremely nervous when it is interacting with the outside world."
Library's science guy [Albany Democrat-Herald]
Each beat on the large drums sitting on the turf of Reser Stadium shot a ring of smoke from the instruments, which were made out of converted trash cans, as an Oregon State University drum line performed in the background and multiple cameras filmed the spectacle. And outside the camera shot, Aaron J. Fillo was jumping up and down in excitement.
Mark Your Calendar
- MIME Graduation Celebration
June 16 | 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. | LaSells Stewart Center
- Oregon State University Commencement
June 17 | 10:30 a.m. | Reser Stadium
- Graduate Defense: " Human Error in Helicopter Accidents: Understanding the manifestation of human error across helicopter missions," by Katarina Morowsky, candidate for doctorate of philosophy in industrial engineering. Major Professor: Dr. Kenneth H. Funk II. May 30 | 12 p.m. | Rogers 226
- Graduate Defense: "Numbering-up of Parallel Microchannel Arrays to Megawatt Scale Supercritical CO2 Solar Thermal Receivers," by Matthew B. Hyder, candidate for master of science in mechanical engineering. Major professor: Dr. Brian M. Fronk. May 30 | 2 p.m. | Rogers 226
- Graduate Defense: " Knowing Your Customers: Ontological Gathering and Analysis Techniques," by Anthony Nix, candidate for doctor of philosophy in mechanical engineering. Major professor: Rob Stone. June 6 | 10 a.m. | Rogers 226
- Graduate Defense: "Team Temperature Assessment Framework – A Measure for Team Effectiveness based on the Boeing Portland Production System," by Aaron M. Sprunger, candidate for master of science in industrial engineering. Major professor: Dr. Javier Calvo-Amodio. June 7 | 10 a.m. | Rogers 226
- Graduate Defense: "The Role of Communication in New Process Implementations: A General Systems Theory Approach," by Sage M. Kittelman, candidate for masters of science in industrial engineering. Major professor: Dr. Javier Calvo-Amodio.
- June 13 |
- 10 a.m., Rogers 226
- R. Logen Logendran, professor of industrial and manufacturing engineering, has received the Award for Technical Innovation in Industrial Engineering from the Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE). “This award recognizes those who have distinguished themselves through contributions to the welfare of mankind in the field of industrial engineering. The contributions are of the highest caliber and nationally or internationally recognized.” The award was formally conferred at the IISE Honors & Awards Banquet on Monday, May 22, 2017 in Pittsburgh, PA. Also at the banquet, Carly Stasack was awarded a Dwight D. Gardner Scholarship, and Joshua Schneider was awarded the Harold & Inge Marcus Scholarship.
Logendran also recently joined Oklahoma State University's School of Industrial Engineering and Management's "Cowboy Academy," which recognizes the accomplishments of that school's alumni.
- Missouri S&T, under the direction of Dr. Cihan Dagli, Systems Engineering Director, will host the ICPR conference in 2019. Those who wish to propose sessions related to the conference themes or serve as track chairs are also strongly encouraged to contact Dr. Dagli at email@example.com.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
- Sophomore Women’s Research Fellowship - The CoE is offering a $1,000 research fellowship for students who will be in their second year in Fall 2017 (current freshmen). All majors are encouraged to apply. More informant and the application can be found at: http://red.engr.oregonstate.edu/sophomore-womens-research-fellowship-program. Applications are due June 12th. Questions or more information contact the Director of Undergraduate Research, Alicia Lyman-Holt (Alicia.firstname.lastname@example.org).
Job and Internship Opportunities
NOTE: The Career Development Center has transitioned to a new career management platform. Beaver Careers has been replaced with Handshake , a networked platform that allows employers to connect with students nationwide and advertise significantly more job and internship opportunities than currently offered. Due to the number of postings, the MIME e-bulletin will no list postings available on Handshake. Sign up for handshake at oregonstate.joinhandshake.com .
- Automation Solutions is currently looking for a personable, organized and creative Applications Engineer who will become the technical resource between their clients and their sales/engineering teams. Curiosity, eagerness to learn, a passion for innovation,and the desire to form strong relationships with customers are paramount. More info.
- Simonds International is seeking two Manufacturing Engineers for in Portland and in Michigan. See more.
- Would you like to work for the College of Engineering Undergraduate Office of Student Services? See job description for the 2017-18 academic year at: https://jobs.oregonstate.edu/postings/43765. Closes June 9, 2017.
- RevMedx is seeking a mechanical engineer to join their process engineering group supporting production, continuous improvement projects and working with product development to support DFM activities. For more information or to apply, contact Jerry.Peasley@revmedx.com.
- Moog Medical Devices is currently seeking a Mechanical Engineering Intern in the Salt Lake City, Utah office. The paid Engineering Internship will provide an opportunity for mechanical engineering students to get hands-on experience working with engineers in the medical device industry. More info.
- Georgia Pacific's Albany, OR Chemicals Facility is seeking a chemical or mechanical engineering student as an intern in their facility for the Summer of 2017. This particular role would be include reviewing and redlining existing plant P&ID's, exposure to project management, safety and production meetings, PHA involvement and other manufacturing related processes. Apply here (you must create an account to view the posting).
- National Energy Technology Laboratory has an internship for Developing Materials & Manufacturing Techniques for Building Adv. Reactor Systems (BS, Undergrad) in Albany, OR. More here.
- Key Technology, has an open position for a Technical Buyer. They believe a student from the Manufacturing program at OSU could potentially be a great fit for this position in Walla Walla, WA. See more .
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- Georgia Southern University has multiple visiting assistant professor positions for Ph.D. graduates and post-docs. They are currently looking to fill multiple general term limited visiting assistant professor positions with teaching emphasis in the areas of Materials Processing and Materials Science, Solid Modeling-Engineering Graphics,and/or General Engineering Sciences. The positions are for the 2017-18 academic year, with a starting date of August 1, 2017.
- Villanova has an opening for a one-year Visiting Assistant Professor or Instructor, Mechanical Engineering . The position will require 12 contact hours of teaching each semester. The fall load will be two sections of statics and two of lab.
- Dept. of Mechanical Engineering at Rowan University invites applicants for part-time visiting faculty positions.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Prairie View A&M University invites applications for two tenure-track positions at Assistant Professor level. The starting date for the positions is September 1, 2017.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Western New England University seeks applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor position, beginning in August 2017. Candidates should have an interest and expertise in any of the following areas: applications of mechatronics, robotics, process automation, and control.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Northern Arizona University (NAU) invites applications for a non-tenure track Lecturer position in our program to begin August 21, 2017. This Lecturer will be teaching both lower- and upper-division undergraduate classes and laboratories in engineering design, solid mechanics and thermal-fluids sciences. Job ID: 603127.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (New Mexico Tech) invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering position.
- PathwaysToScience.org has 167 different postdoc and early career opportunities posted on the site, including postdoctoral fellowships, grants, travel awards, mentoring opportunities, and more. Browse the full list of opportunities here.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.