This Week's Features
GFR Wins National Event in Michigan
The Global Formula Racing Team has won the 2014 Formula SAE at the Michigan International Speedway, in Brooklyn, Mich., placing first overall – supported by top finishes in Skid Pad, Autocross, and Endurance categories. The Oregon State-Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg-Ravensburg team competes against more than 100 teams and has won this important national race – generally considered to be the US championships – four times in the past five years. Congratulations on keeping GFR on top!
Professional Speaker Series: R&D Plastics on State of the Industry
Rod Roth, President of R&D Plastics and veteran in the industry will be presenting on the current status of the Plastic Injection Molding Industry. His associates Kyle Tarr and Sarah Cornwell will be speaking about their transitions from college into this fun and fulfilling field. Come for the FREE PIZZA, and stay for the engaging presentation! The event is Thurs., May 22, at 6 pm in Gilfillan Auditorium.
Robotics Lab Recruiting for DARPA Robotics Challenge
The Robotics and Human Controls Lab at OSU is looking for graduate and undergraduate students to join the laboratory in participating in the DARPA Robotics Challenge (see http://teamvigir.org/) There are a variety of interesting research problems relating to enabling autonomy and control for the robot for grasping and manipulation tasks in the real world. The final competition will be in May 2015. This is a terrific opportunity to learn some real-world robotics, testing, and software skills. Please contact Prof. Ravi Balasubramanian along with a resume describing past experiences.
Mark Your Calendar
Machining Lab Woodshop Qualification Seminar
Darin Kempton is conducting a Machining Lab Woodshop Qualification Seminar on Wed., May 28 at 12 pm and on Fri., May 30 at 9 am. The one-hour seminar is open to all current and former ME 250 students. Students must have their ME 250 name tag with them at the time of the seminar. Each seminar will accommodate 15 people per session, so the first 15 to sign up for either day will be accepted. Register by emailing email@example.com.
Nuclear Materials Spring Seminar Series
Dr. Richard Wright, a distinguished staff scientist with the Materials Science and Engineering Department at Idaho National Laboratory, will present "Determining Properties of Engineering Alloys for Very High Temperature Nuclear Reactors" this week as part of the nuclear materials spring seminar series. The seminar is Thurs., May 22 in Weniger 149 at 3:00 pm.
Evolution of Turbine Vane Endwalls
Karen Thole, Professor and Department Head, Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering at The Pennsylvania State University will give a seminar "Evolution of Turbine Vane Endwalls,” discussing three-dimensional contouring as an effective method of reducing aerodynamic losses and whether heat transfer is worsened through the use of these contoured surfaces. The event is Fri., May 23, from 3 to 4 pm in Weniger 149.
OSU AIAA Teleconference with Gaurav Nagle
The OSU American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) has invited Gaurav Nagle, a Senior Research Engineer at Saab Sensis to speak via teleconference on Fri., May 30, at 3 pm, in Owen 102. Nagle will discuss his research, including the design of fuel-efficient Continuous Decent Arrival (CDA) procedures for aircraft flying into Atlanta International Airport. If you have questions, please contact Corey Juarez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer: This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
EWB Students/Professor Mixer at McMenamins
Engineers Without Borders will host an EWB-OSU professor/student mixer this week Thursday night McMenamins at 6 pm. The group hopes to get more professors involved with Engineers without Borders humanitarian engineering projects.
Fri, May 23
MIME Graduate Defense: “Group Scheduling in Electronics Manufacturing with Integration of Internal and External Setup Times,” by Mohammad Yazdani, candidate for PhD in Industrial Engineering, 1 pm, KEC 1007.
Tues, May 27
MIME Graduate Defense: "Characterization and Mitigation of Train Vibrations in a Laboratory Facility," by Nasko Atanasov, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 9 am in Rogers 226.
Tues, May 27
MIME Graduate Defense: “Design of Robust Infrastructure Systems Incorporating User Behavior,” by Joseph Piacenza, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, 1 pm, Rogers 226.
Thurs, May 29
MIME Graduate Defense: “Microchannel Extraction of Te4+ from a Stream of CdTe via MIBK in Supported Liquid Membrane,” by Heather Johnson Liburdy, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 3:30 PM, Rogers 226.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Academic Success is hiring students to lead 2014-15 study tables for Physics 201, 202, and 203. Students who have completed Physics 21X are eligible. The three positions are open until filled. Contact Marjorie Coffey, Supplemental Instruction Coordinator Academic Success Center with questions at Marjorie.Coffey@oregonstate.edu.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings.
- Microchip Technology, based in Gresham, Ore., seeks a Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Materials Science graduate to fill the position of Process Engineer. Applications are due May 22. (Beaver JobNet ID 29198)
- NEW -- Total Mechanical, Inc. seeks a Construction Project Engineer (mechanical or construction engineering) at their Vancouver, Wash., location. Apply by May 23. (Beaver JobNet ID 29377)
- NEW -- Cree seeks a Process Development Engineer, Wafer Fabrication at their Durham, N.C., location. Apply by May 24. (Beaver JobNet ID 28619)
- International Forest Products Limited (Interfor) is currently recruiting for a Continuous Improvement Technician for our Molalla sawmill based in Molalla, Oregon. Applications are accepted until May 26. (Beaver JobNet ID 28320)
- Kettle Foods, Inc., based in Salem, Ore., seeks a Director of Packaging Engineering. Applications are accepted until May 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 28458)
- Stahlbush Island Farms is looking for a Mechanical Engineer at their Corvallis location. Applications are due by May 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 27610)
- Ecova, based in Portland, Ore., seeks a Senior Manager, C&I for the Utility Commercial/Industrial Market Lead team. Responsibilities include the design and initial implementation of commercial/industrial energy efficiency programs. Apply by May 29. (Beaver JobNet ID 29206)
- Automatic Fire Sprinklers, based in Vancouver, Wash., seeks an entry-level Junior Engineer. Apply by May 30. (Beaver JobNet 29236)
- Altech Aerospace seeks an entry-level aircraft structures engineer/stress analyst to work with assistance from senior professionals, and conduct technical writing, design and structural analyses related to the strength, fatigue, and damage tolerance of metallic aircraft structures. Application deadline is May 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28637)
- NaturalPoint seeks an ME graduate for Technical Sales Engineer position in their Corvallis, Ore., location; the position requires travel. Applications are accepted until May 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28559)
- Mill Power Inc., a Prineville, Ore., equipment manufacturer, is hiring for the position of Mechanical Design Engineer. Job duties include layout, design, and engineering of various machinery products, assessment and monitoring of projects, and assisting production with technical issues; recent graduates are encouraged to apply. Apply by May 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 29138)
- States Industries LLC seeks a Process Controls/Quality Engineer at its Eugene, Ore., location. Apply by May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 29128)
- HYDAC, a manufacturer in the fluid power industry is looking for an application engineer – cooling systems. The position ultimately is located in the Portland, Ore., area following a 9-month training in N. Carolina. Applications are due May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 29099)
- Maxim Integrated, a semiconductor manufacturer, seeks manufacturing and industrial engineering candidates for nationwide positions. The application deadline is May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25174)
- Peterson Pacific based in Eugene, Oregon, seeks a Control Systems Engineer to work in conjunction with the Product Engineer on the design, specification, testing and documentation of the electro hydraulic systems and controllers of such. Working in conjunction with Product Engineer. Apply by May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 29269)
- Safeway seeks applicants to its summer paid internship in manufacturing internship. Applications are accepted until May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25386)
- NACCO Materials Handling Group, a manufacturer of industrial lift trucks, has an opportunity for a controls engineer in our facility located in the Portland, Oregon area. Applications are accepted until June 1. (Beaver JobNet ID 28583)
- Isovolta, an international manufacturer of plastic and composite materials for transportation interiors in Harrisburg, Oregon, is seeking an experienced Material and Process Engineer to develop, document, implement, and troubleshoot materials and processes such as: adhesives, plastic films, laminates, coating, printing, drying, laminating, embossing, and pressing. Apply by June 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 28457)
- JVNW, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Intern (paid) for a 3- to 6-month post at their Canby, Ore., location. Applications are due by June 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28139)
- Lockheed Martin seeks a mechanical engineer to provide technical support to Navy and Lockheed Martin customers for issues related to Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) Program D5 Missile and Reentry Systems (RES) at its Silverdale, Wash., location. Applications are accepted until June 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 27890)
- Rosen Aviation, based in Eugene, Ore., seeks a Staff Engineer, Systems to develop system requirements specifications for all products and provide direction and leadership to the R&D team for researching technologies to include in future products. Apply by July 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 28907)
- Carestream seeks a Research and Development Coating Engineer to lead and coordinate coating process development across a number of product lines including Carestream Advanced Materials (CAMS) and Contract Manufacturing at the Carestream Health Oregon (CHO) facility in White City, Oregon. Apply by August 29. (Beaver JobNet ID 29191)