This Week's Features
Engineering Expo Happening this Friday – Don't Miss It!
The 14th annual OSU Engineering Expo, happening 11 am–4 pm on 5/17, will feature more than 100 capstone projects from across the CoE disciplines. This is your chance to see what this year's crop of MIME seniors, as well as those in other majors, have been working on this year. You can also check out the new Global Formula Racing car, the AIAA–OSU entry for the 2013 Design/Build/Fly competition, the OSU solar vehicle and solar trailer, robotics demonstrations, and more. There will be something for everybody, so be sure to stop by!
Also on Friday: ESE Program Info Session
At 4 pm on Friday, stop by Rogers 332 for some light refreshments and an information session on the School of MIME's Energy Systems Engineering program. This is a great opportunity to find out more about the ESE curriculum, specifically for pro school. Dr. Robin Feuerbacher, ESE faculty program director, will answer questions about ESE pro-school courses; career directions for students who graduate with this major; internship, research, and professional development opportunities; and what it's like to live in Bend and attend OSU–Cascades.
MIME Annual Picnic Coming Up! Thursday, May 23, 6 pm, Avery Park
Hey MIME Students, Faculty and Staff! You've been working so hard this whole year, and you NEED to let off some steam before finals. So plan on making the trek to Avery Park on Thursday 5/23 (exact location TBA) and joining your fellow engineers and professors for some burgers, hot dogs, slaw and other picnic fare. Participate in friendly softball, croquet and bocce ball matches with your fellow engineers! Feel free to bring a plus-1. Hilarity will ensue, and it won't be fun without you! RSVP Now
To Dunk or Not to Dunk? That Is the Question...
The Second Annual Engineering Club Carnival, a fundraiser for Linn-Benton Food Share, is happening on Thursday, June 6, 1–6 pm. All engineering student clubs are invited to host a booth. So far, participating MIME clubs include the OSU Solar Vehicle Team. The IEEE student chapter (from EECS) is hosting a dunk tank for your favorite professors, so please take a minute and vote for the professors you most want to dunk. Note: ALL MIME community members – faculty and staff as well as students – are urged to exercise their inalienable right to vote on this important matter.
Mark Your Calendar
Below is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events. It is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus. If you would like to include an event in this listing, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Mon, May 13
MIME Graduate Defense: Dissipation and wavepacket collision in carbon nanotube waveguides presented by Venkata Rajesh Saranam, candidate for MS in Materials Science. Advisor: Dr. Alex Greaney. 3 pm, Covell 117 (MIME Library).
Physics Colloquium: Pulsed laser irradiation of doped zinc oxide films presented by Greg Exarhos, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. 4 pm, Weniger 153.
Tues, May 14
MIME Graduate Defense: Exploring the relationship between engineering design project characteristics and risk indicators presented by Rachel Liza Yim, candidate for MS in Industrial Engineering. Advisor: Dr. Toni Doolen. 1:30 pm, Covell 117 (MIME Library).
Thurs, May 16
Faculty Candidate Presentation: Electrical ceramics, multifunctional composites, and metallic glasses presented by Dr. Xiaoli Tan, 11:00 am, Covell 117 (MIME Library)
GS^4 Faculty-Grad Student Kickball Game. 5–6 pm, SE corner of Campus Way and 14th St. Organized by MIME Graduate Student Social Skills Society.
Fri, May 17
Last day to withdraw from courses and change grading basis to Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
Engineering Expo. 11 am–4 pm, in and around the KEC.
University Honors College Thesis Fair. 11:30 am–1:30 pm, Valley Library gallery and rotunda and (main floor). Explore the diversity of Honors research and interact with the researchers while visiting their innovative, interactive poster displays.
Energy Systems Engineering Information Session presented by Dr. Robin Feuerbacher, faculty program director of the Energy Systems Engineering program at OSU-Cascades. 4–5 pm, Rogers 332. See Features section for more details.
Mon, May 20
Graduate School Forum for Current Grad Students. 2–3:30 pm, MU 09. Light refreshments and door prizes provided. An opportunity to share your input and concerns about OSU graduate education, the graduate student experience, and ideas for improvement. y, you You may also provide feedback by completing this online survey.
Tues, May 21
Celebrating Undergraduate Excellence (CUE). 11 am, MU Quad. For more information, visit the CUE website.
Fulbright Program Information Session. 12–1 pm, Heckart Lodge 205. Information concerning US Student Fulbright grants, designed for students researching, teaching, and performing project or course work abroad in eligible countries. OSU Fulbright Program Adviser LeAnn Adam will answer questions and guide students through the application process. Visit the Fulbright website for more information, or contact LeAnn Adam.
Wednesday, May 22
MECOP/CECOP Spring Selection Event.
Fri, May 24
MIME SEMINAR SERIES: Electrically driven fluid flows in large and small scales presented by Dr. Jamal Yagoobi, George I. Alden Professor and Head, Worcester Polytechnic Institute Department of Mechanical Engineering. 2:30–3:30 pm, Covell 117 (MIME Library). Come early for 2–2:30 pm for social time; coffee and tea will be served.
Fri, May 31
Professional Development Day, 8 am–5 pm, OSU LaSells Stewart Center. Management communications seminar Presented by Project Management Institute (PMI) Willamette Valley Chapter. Free for PMI student members, $37 for non-members.
Student Loan Repayment Workshop. 12–1 pm, MU 109. Lois DeGhetto, an OSU financial aid advisor, will discuss loan repayment and the many options you may be able to take advantage of, such as consolidation and loan forgiveness. This workshop is open to anyone who is interested regardless of graduation status, so bring your lunch and bring a friend!
Thurs, Jun 6
Second Annual Engineering Club Carnival, 1–6 pm, Kelley Engineering Center. Enjoy food, and club sponsored booths to give back to the community and raise awareness for the Linn-Benton Food bank and engineering.
GS^4 End of the Year Luncheon. 11:30 am–1:30 pm, Rogers 226. All MIME grad students and faculty welcome. Get some lunch and chat with colleagues!
Fri, Jun 14
MIME Commencement Ceremony and Reception. 10 am–noon, LaSells Stewart Center. Graduates check in at 9:30 am; ceremony starts at 10, with catered reception following. Dress: casual (graduates, bring/wear your cap and gown). Parking is free on campus all day; the venue is wheelchair-accessible, and accommodations are already in place. Questions? Email Gina Newcomb.
Mon, Jul 1
Pro-school applications due.
MIME GRAD STUDENTS: THE OSU GRADUATE SCHOOL WANTS YOUR FEEDBACK! The OSU Grad School is holding its second annual Open forums on graduate education at OSU and wants your input. You can participate in two ways: (1) Complete this online survey (open until June 1); and (2) Attend the in-person forum happening on Monday, May 20, 2–3:30 pm in Memorial Union 109. Light refreshments and door prizes provided. Results from the survey and in-person forum will be compiled to create a final report of aggregate themes that will support continuous improvement efforts in graduate education and the graduate student experience at OSU. Results will also help to inform progress made and work to be done in the Graduate School's 5-year Strategic Plan.
SEEKING VOLUNTEERS FOR SPRING MECOP SELECTION. Student volunteers are needed to assist with the MECOP Spring Selection Event on Wednesday, May 22nd at OSU. Volunteers are invited to have lunch with about 100 Member Representatives from industry who will conduct the interviews on Wednesday. Duties include set up or take down, distributing event materials and assisting at the sign-in table throughout the day. Two drivers are needed to shuttle representatives to/from the parking lot. One photographer is needed. Please call Alysia Rodgers at 541-286-4477 and let her know what time(s) you are available to help. Volunteers are needed beginning at 6:45 am until 5:30 pm. Drivers are needed 6:30– 8 am and 1:40–6 pm.
OSU AMERICORPS VISTA SERVICE OPENINGS for AY 2013–14. Want to help combat hunger and homelessness, promote student engagement and success, and engage in service to the OSU and Corvallis community? If so, you may be a candidate for one of the following positions for the 2013–14 academic year, available through the Oregon Campus Compact and AmeriCorps VISTA:
- Service and Resource Coordinatorfor the Center for Civic Engagement Student Leadership and Involvement. For more information, contact Emily Bowling at firstname.lastname@example.org, 541-737-7673.
- Food Pantry Sustainability Coordinatorfor the Human Services Resource Center. For more information, contact Clare Cady at email@example.com, 541-737-9127.
For both positions, the term runs from August 27, 2013, to August 30, 2014. The positions will remain open until filled.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Research Internships
ASCO Numatics Industrial Automation Engineering College Scholarship. ASCO Numatics will award two $5000 scholarships for 2013/2014 academic year. Eligible applicants are US citizens or legal residents who will be entering junior or senior year. Applications are due Friday May 24, 2013. If you don't apply, you can't win!
Job and Internship Opportunities
Here is a sampling of current MIME-related postings on the Beaver JobNet (listed in order of closing date):
- Summer Internship – Tech IV, Electrical Engineer at Portland General Electric closes May 15, 2013
- Structures Engineer at SpaceX closes May 15, 2013
- Mechanical Design and Analysis Engineer at Seagate closes May 16, 2013
- Full Time Co-op (Unpaid) at Fenox Venture Capital closes May 17, 2013
- Mechanical Engineer at HELI-TECH, INC. closes May 20, 2013
- Field Service Engineer Adventurer at Acquip Inc closes May 22, 2013
- Mechanical Engineering Intern at High Speed Interconnects closes May 23, 2013
- Research Scientist Epitaxial Growth at Cree, Inc. closes May 24, 2013
- Mechanical Engineer at Aerotek, Inc closes May 24, 2013
- PTD - Industrial Engineer at Intel Corporation - PTD closes May 25, 2013
- NEW! Java Developer at VBridge Global LLC closes May 30, 2013
- Technical Sales and Field Service Engineer at CaptiveAire, INC closes May 30, 2013
- Technology Consultant I at Hewlett Packard closes May 30, 2013
- Consultant Engineer at FM Global closes May 30, 2013
- Tektronix/Keithley Instruments all close May 30, 2013
- Manufacturing Engineer at Terex closes May 31, 2013
- Account Manager/Estimator at PermaCold Engineering, Inc closes May 31, 2013
- Martin Management, Inc
- Production Manager at 9Wood closes June 10, 2013
- Chief Engineer Trainee at Henningsen Cold Storage Co closes June 15, 2013
- Industrial Engineer - New College Grad at Microchip Technology closes June 30, 2013
- College Graduate Equipment Engineer at Lam Research closes June 30, 2013
- Linde’s Marketing and Innovation Development Engineering Program (MID) at Linde closes June 30, 2013
- Engineering Technician at Civil West Engineering Services, Inc. closes July 01, 2013
- Mechanical Research & Development Engineers at Mainstream Engineering closes July 12, 2013
- Mechanical Engineer at Computer and Engineering Services, Inc. closes July 23, 2013
- Faithful & Gould
- R&D Engineer at Express Employment Professionals closes July 31, 2013
- Entry level Business Analyst and Quality Analyst at Anjaneyap Global Inc closes August 31, 2013
- Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Use Survey Program at US Army Corps of Engineers closes September 6, 2013
- Research Experiences/Internships at Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education closes September 18, 2013
- Electrical Field Engineer at Emerson / ERS closes December 30, 2013
For help with polishing your resume or cover letter...
...Or for services such as mock interviews, workshops and career counseling, visit OSU Career Services in Kerr Administration Building B008 or online.
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions