This Week's Features
Dr. Hurst Named Emerging Scholar
Oregon State School of MIME's Dr. Jonathan Hurst, has won the 2014 Phi-Kappa-Phi Emerging Scholar Award at an award ceremony and banquet last week. Dr. Hurst is a co-winner with Dr. Paul Ha-Yeon Cheong of Chemistry. The OSU chapter of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi has established the Emerging Scholar Faculty Award in order to recognize non-tenured faculty for outstanding research or creative activity in their field of study.
ESE Student Kristine Schnell Wins Student Leadership Award
Congratulations to Energy Systems Engineering student Kristina Schnell; she has been awarded one of the 2014 Women's Center Student on May 19 at 2:30 pm (to 4:30 pm) at the Oregon State Women's Center, will be honoring five other student leaders and three Women of Achievement awardees.
Dr. Porter Elected to Serve IIE Divisional Board
Dr. David Porter has been elected to the Institute of Industrial Engineers Computer and Information Systems Division Board of Directors. The group also elected Gerald Knapp from Louisiana State University was as a president-elect and directors, Sung Won Han from NYU Langone Medical Center, Mehdi Khazaeli from University of Louisiana-Lafayette.
OSU-Cascades Student Chapter Association of Energy Engineers Chartered
The national Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) chartered its 11th student chapter with the inclusion of at OSU-Cascades in Bend, OR in collaboration with the ESE degree program. The Cascades student chapter of AEE includes 29 student members. Students in Corvallis also are invited to join the Cascades student chapter – the first step is to join the national chapter of AEE (http://www.aeecenter.org).
COE 2014 Engineering Expo – Friday!
The 2014 Engineering Expo is Friday, May, 16 from 11 am to 4 pm, and will feature the research work of more than 140 School of MIME seniors, and altogether nearly 500 students from the College of Engineering. MIME will showcase about 40 of the nearly 200 projects on display. This year’s MIME Capstone Projects are sponsored by companies including Oregon Freeze Dry, Bauer Labs, Sheldon Manufacturing, the U.S. Army and Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center.
Mark Your Calendar
Discuss Energy Systems Engineering with Dr. Feuerbacher
Energy Systems Engineering (ESE) Program Lead, Dr. Robin Feuerbacher, will be in Corvallis on Thur., May 15, to meet with pre-ESE students or any students interested in ESE at 4-5 pm in Rogers 226. Dr. Feuerbacher also will have an open office hour for drop-ins from 3-4 pm on Thurs, May 15, in Rogers 226 and is available for appointments by e-mailing Robin.Feuerbacher@osucascades.edu .
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory a Guest in Nuclear Materials Seminar Series
Join Ken Geelhood, from the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory for a seminar titled, "Fuel Performance Modeling of Commercial Light Water Reactor Fuel" on Thursday, May 15, from 3 to 4 pm in Weniger 149. The lecture is part of the Nuclear Materials spring seminar series.
COE Student Clubs Club Carnival: Fun and Fundraiser
School of MIME student clubs should register to attend the College of Engineering Club Carnival on May 29. The event is an end-of-the-year celebration for students, recruitment opportunity for clubs, fundraiser for the Linn Benton food bank and all around fun time for everyone. Each club puts together a booth, activity or game for the 4-hour event (for example, the classic dunk tank filled with engineering professors). To get started, please complete the online survey at the URL below.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer: This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Wed, May 14
MIME Graduate Defense: “Multiagent Learning for Locomotion and Coordination in Tensegrity Robotics,” by Atil Iscen, candidate for PhD in Computer Science & Mechanical Engineering, 10 am, Rogers 226.
Fri, May 23
MIME Graduate Defense: “Group Scheduling in Electronics Manufacturing with Integration of Internal and External Setup Times,” by Mohammad Yazdani, candidate for PhD in Industrial Engineering, 1 pm, KEC 1007.
Thurs, May 29
MIME Graduate Defense: “Microchannel Extraction of Te4+ from a Stream of CdTe via MIBK in Supported Liquid Membrane,” by Heather Johnson Liburdy, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 3:30 PM, Rogers 226.
HWeekend with EECS
Apply to participate in the first-ever HWeekend, a 30-hour marathon design session May 31 to June 1 (insomniacs welcome) which aims to bring people together to make awesome things. Groups of students will take on the challenge to make something using electronics, 3D printers, android phones, and any ideas. The HWeekend provides materials. Food also is provided. Please apply for limited spots, and contact email@example.com for more information.
Thursday Studio Time, Staff and Faculty Portraits
COE has set up studio sessions for faculty and staff interested in the professional services of photographer Mitch Lea for portraits for personal and professional use. Portrait sessions take about five minutes per person, and appointments are not necessary. This photo session is open to all College of Engineering and BEBC faculty and staff. Below are the details.
Portrait Sessions | WHEN: Thurs., May 15, 9 am - 3 pm | WHERE: Cascade Hall, 601 SW 17th St
Scholarships, Fellowships and Research Internships
The Oregon NASA Space Grant Consortium (OSGC) offers scholarships in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) and STEM education. Online application links and other program information, including the 2014-15 Scholarship Program Guide, are also available online. Application Deadline: May 23.
Job and Internship Opportunities
FLIR Systems in Wilsonville, Ore., has two new summer paid intern positions for manufacturing engineering students. The positions run are planned to run from June 16 through Sept. 19. Students should contact Bill McKnight for more information. Bill.McKnight@FLIR.com.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings.
- Amazon is looking for applicants with a degree in Degree in Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, General Management for positions of Area Manager, Operations. The application deadline is May 14. (Beaver JobNet ID 27644).
- Hollingsworth & Vose based in Corvallis seeks a Mechanical Engineering Summer Hire for work on projects related to design, maintenance, improvement and construction problems pertaining to the Company’s production and facility-related projects. Applications are accepted until May 15. (Beaver JobNet ID 28217)
- Oracle seeks a manufacturing process engineer/WWOPS at locations in Broomfield, Colo.; Bay Area, Calif., and Hillsboro, Ore. Please apply by May 17. (Beaver JobNet ID 25530)
- McKinstry’s summer paid Design Engineer internship program is geared toward students studying project management, mechanical and electrical engineering and construction management. The application deadline is May 19. (Beaver JobNet ID 28991)
- NEW -- Microchip Technology, based in Gresham, Ore., seeks a Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Materials Science graduate to fill the position of Process Engineer. Applications are due May 22. (Beaver JobNet ID 29198)
- International Forest Products Limited (Interfor) is currently recruiting for a Continuous Improvement Technician for our Molalla sawmill based in Molalla, Oregon. Applications are accepted until May 26. (Beaver JobNet ID 28320)
- NEW -- Kettle Foods, Inc., based in Salem, Ore., seeks a Director of Packaging Engineering. Applications are accepted until May 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 28458)
- Stahlbush Island Farms is looking for a Mechanical Engineer at their Corvallis location. Applications are due by May 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 27610)
- Ecova, based in Portland, Ore., seeks a Senior Manager, C&I for the Utility Commercial/Industrial Market Lead team. Responsibilities include the design and initial implementation of commercial/industrial energy efficiency programs. Apply by May 29. (Beaver JobNet ID 29206)
- NEW -- Automatic Fire Sprinklers, based in Vancouver, Wash., seeks an entry-level Junior Engineer. Apply by May 30. (Beaver JobNet 29236)
- Altech Aerospace seeks an entry-level aircraft structures engineer/stress analyst to work with assistance from senior professionals, and conduct technical writing, design and structural analyses related to the strength, fatigue, and damage tolerance of metallic aircraft structures. Application deadline is May 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28637)
- NaturalPoint seeks an ME graduate for Technical Sales Engineer position in their Corvallis, Ore., location; the position requires travel. Applications are accepted until May 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28559)
- Mill Power Inc., a Prineville, Ore., equipment manufacturer, is hiring for the position of Mechanical Design Engineer. Job duties include layout, design, and engineering of various machinery products, assessment and monitoring of projects, and assisting production with technical issues; recent graduates are encouraged to apply. Apply by May 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 29138)
- NEW -- States Industries LLC seeks a Process Controls/Quality Engineer at its Eugene, Ore., location. Apply by May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 29128)
- HYDAC, a manufacturer in the fluid power industry is looking for an application engineer – cooling systems. The position ultimately is located in the Portland, Ore., area following a 9-month training in N. Carolina. Applications are due May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 29099)
- Maxim Integrated, a semiconductor manufacturer, seeks manufacturing and industrial engineering candidates for nationwide positions. The application deadline is May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25174)
- Peterson Pacific based in Eugene, Oregon, seeks a Control Systems Engineer to work in conjunction with the Product Engineer on the design, specification, testing and documentation of the electro hydraulic systems and controllers of such. Working in conjunction with Product Engineer. Apply by May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 29269)
- Safeway seeks applicants to its summer paid internship in manufacturing internship. Applications are accepted until May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25386)
- NACCO Materials Handling Group, a manufacturer of industrial lift trucks, has an opportunity for a controls engineer in our facility located in the Portland, Oregon area. Applications are accepted until June 1. (Beaver JobNet ID 28583)
- Isovolta, an international manufacturer of plastic and composite materials for transportation interiors in Harrisburg, Oregon, is seeking an experienced Material and Process Engineer to develop, document, implement, and troubleshoot materials and processes such as: adhesives, plastic films, laminates, coating, printing, drying, laminating, embossing, and pressing. Apply by June 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 28457)
- JVNW, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Intern (paid) for a 3- to 6-month post at their Canby, Ore., location. Applications are due by June 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28139)
- Lockheed Martin seeks a mechanical engineer to provide technical support to Navy and Lockheed Martin customers for issues related to Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) Program D5 Missile and Reentry Systems (RES) at its Silverdale, Wash., location. Applications are accepted until June 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 27890)
- Rosen Aviation, based in Eugene, Ore., seeks a Staff Engineer, Systems to develop system requirements specifications for all products and provide direction and leadership to the R&D team for researching technologies to include in future products. Apply by July 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 28907)
- Carestream seeks a Research and Development Coating Engineer to lead and coordinate coating process development across a number of product lines including Carestream Advanced Materials (CAMS) and Contract Manufacturing at the Carestream Health Oregon (CHO) facility in White City, Oregon. Apply by August 29. (Beaver JobNet ID 29191)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- Please check back for job announcements.