Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
May 11, 2015
This Week's Features
Design/Build/Fly Finishes 11th at International Competition
The OSU AIAA club sent 15 students to the Design/Build/Fly team to Tucson, Arizona, where the team competed in an international competition with 100 entrants. The goal for each team was to build a remote control aircraft weighing as little as possible and having the fewest servos. The competition also measured speed, the ability to carry a 5-lb payload, and the ability to drop whiffle balls on command. The OSU airplane, configured as a Canard and nicknamed the “Hammerhead,” flew five laps for its empty mission, and then attempted the 5-lb payload mission three times before crashing and crumpling its nosecone. The team stayed up all night making repairs to successfully fly the payload mission on Sunday. Of the 81 planes that came to competition, the Hammerhead placed 11th.
Navarrette Engineering Scholarship
The Office of Women and Minorities in Engineering will select one winner to receive the $15,000/year Navarrette scholarship to be used towards tuition, fees, books, and room and board during the 2015-2016 calendar year. This award is renewable for one additional year (two years total or $30,000). The deadline for application is May 22.
Tomorrow: Last Day for Portraits
Tomorrow is the last day that we will be taking senior pictures for both Graduate and Undergraduate students. The office will see walk-ins from 12 to 5 pm if you have not scheduled a time. Please come in to Rogers 238 and have your picture taken!
Mark Your Calendar
Robotics Seminar Series: Dr. Julie Adams on "Human-Machine Teaming"
Please join us for this seminar sponsored by the OSU Robotics group. Dr. Adams is an associate professor of computer science and computer engineering at Vanderbilt University, as well as the founder of the Human-Machine Teaming Laboratory. The seminar will be held in ROG 226 from 2-3pm on Tuesday, May 12. All interested students and faculty are welcome.
Human-Machine Teaming | DATE: Tues., May 12 | TIME: 2 pm | PLACE: 226 Rogers Hall
OSU Graduate School Info Session
Is an advanced degree the right choice for you? The OSU Graduate School will present an information session on Graduate Education on Tuesday, May 19 at 5:30PM in the Lonnie B. Harris Black Cultural Resource Center. Learn about the benefits of a graduate degree, and other topics, including how to pay for graduate programs.
DATE: Tuesday, May 19 | TIME: 5.30 pm | PLACE: Lonnie B. Harris Black Cultural Resource Center
Boeing Day is May 14
Boeing will host a “Boeing Day” on campus May 14, with several sessions in the College of Engineering and College of Business. Please join in for:
Boeing Resume Workshop (10-11 am)
Thursday, May 14, in KEC 1007
Boeing Information Session (5-6:30 pm)
Thursday, May 14, in Dearborn 118; refreshments will be provided.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Wed, June 3
MIME Graduate Defense: "Shocks and Awe: Damping Selection in Racecars to Maximize Grip," by Trevor Takaro, candidate for Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 2 PM, Rogers 226
Thurs, May 28
MIME Graduate Defense: "Smart Grid Acceptance in the United States: A sociological framework evaluation," by Sri Dattha Palwai, candidate for Master of Science in Industrial Engineering, 8 AM, Rogers 226
Advanced Manufacturing of Smart Goods Workshop
Attend this two-day OSU-partnered NSF Workshop to identify advanced manufacturing research needs associated with “smart goods.” Experts from organizations including Google and Amazon will discuss the emerging markets, user needs and manufacturing challenges associated with smart goods.
@ Embassy Suites Downtown, Portland, Oregon. May 14, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and May 15, 2015, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., Cost to register: $155.
Join ASME’s “Eco Marathon” Energy-Efficient Vehicle Project
If you are interested in joining the Electric Shell Eco Marathon team through ASME, please attend the ASME weekly meetings Tuesdays at 5:00 PM in Rogers 230. Shell's Eco-marathon challenges student teams from around the world to design, build and test ultra energy-efficient vehicles. With annual competitive rounds in the Americas, then Europe and Asia, the winners are the teams that go the furthest using the least amount of energy. If you cannot attend this meeting and are interested in participating, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DATE: Tuesdays | TIME: 5 pm | PLACE: Rogers 230
RSVP Online for the MIME Graduation Ceremony
Help us get ready for the June 2015 MIME commencement ceremony, and let us know if you, your friends, and family plan to attend the ceremony and garden reception that follows. Please complete survey even if you cannot attend. Please be sure to get your information submitted by Friday, May 22.
MPRL Opening Hours – Week Seven, Spring Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8 – 10 am, 12 – 1pm, 3 – 5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Wednesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 9 pm | Friday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Saturday – 9 am – 5 pm
Scholarships and Fellowships
Minority Transportation Scholarship
The Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO) offers a variety of scholarships ranging from $2,500 to $7,500 to deserving students nationwide. Selections are made annually by a team of industry professionals and representatives from the academic community. The National Scholarship Program supports the mission of COMTO by promoting, strengthening and expanding the roles of minorities in all aspects of transportation. Applications should be postmarked by May 8.
Job and Internship Opportunities
MIME Student Researcher Position performing time studies at a high product mix facility. Data collection will be conducted during week days over a span of 4 weeks in June/July. Review OSU job posting 0014635 for full application details. The deadline is May 15 for full consideration.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Casper, Phillips & Associates seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: Tacoma Job ad expires on: 5/15/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5202
- Northwest Staffing Resources seeks an Engineer Technician, Temporary Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 5/15/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5592
- First Investors Corporation seeks a Financial Representative Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 5/15/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5929
- Rang Technologies Inc seeks a Data Scientist Location: Piscataway Job ad expires on: 5/17/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5237
- BendBroadband seeks a Network Analyst Intern Location: Bend, OR Job ad expires on: 5/17/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5253
- Williams-Sonoma Inc. - Global Supply Chain seeks an Engineering Summer Internship Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/22/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6058
- O-I seeks a Maintenance Mechanic Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/24/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5338
- Beta Soft Systems Inc. seeks a Quality Assurance/Software tester analyst Location: Oregon, California,washington Job ad expires on: 5/25/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5370
- Translations.com seeks a Localization Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 5/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5450
- Coyote Logistics seeks a National Account Manager Sales Trainee Location: Wilsonville, OR Job ad expires on: 5/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5461
- BNSF Railway seeks an Engineering Management Trainee 2015 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 5/31/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 2942
- SYSTEMA USA Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) Software Engineer Location: Bend, OR Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5503
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 4552
- AirClean Technologies, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 6/1/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6036
- AirClean Technologies, Inc. seeks a Mech. Engineering Internship Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 6/5/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6015
- Alliance Window Company seeks an Engineer Location: Aurora, OR Job ad expires on: 6/12/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5111
- Alliance Window Company seeks a Project Management Trainee Location: Aurora, OR Job ad expires on: 6/12/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5113
- Selectemp Employment Services seeks a CNC Machinist Location: Lebanon, OR Job ad expires on: 6/16/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5730
- ZipRealty seeks a Front End Engineer Location: Emeryville, California Job ad expires on: 6/20/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5803
- ZipRealty seeks a Front End Engineer Location: Emeryville, California Job ad expires on: 6/20/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5804
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Process Engineer/WWOPS Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 6/21/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5817
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Inventory Services and Control - Business Analyst Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 6/21/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5818
- Anjaneyap Global Inc seeks an Entry Level Business Analyst and Quality Analyst Location: Milpitas, California Job ad expires on: 6/22/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5843
- Franklin Electric seeks a Manufacturing Engineer I Location: Wilburton, OK Job ad expires on: 6/22/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5850
- Precision Measurements and Instruments Corporation (PMIC) seeks a Project Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 6/30/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 5517
- O-I seeks a Maintenance Mechanic Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 7/5/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6019
- Littau Harvester seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Stayton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 7/6/2015 Beaver Careers ID: 6054
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.