Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
March 7, 2016
This Week's Features
ME Senior Ruth Hamblin Named Academic All-American, and Much More
First, the academic news: mechanical engineering senior Ruth Hamblin was named a CoSIDA First Team Academic All-American last Thursday. Hamblin is the first Oregon State player to earn First Team recognition since 1989. Next, the PAC-12 news: Hamblin, the two-time Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, set the conference Career Blocks record en route to the women's basketball team's 2016 PAC-12 tournament victory last night. Hamblin nailed a double-double, with 23 points and a career-high 20 rebounds in addition to five blocked shots on Sunday for the 69-57 victory over UCLA in the championship game. Congratulations to Ruth and her team. Go Beavs!
Two School of MIME Young Investigator Award Winners
The Office of Naval Research, Science and Technology has announced the winners of the 2016 Young Investigator Award, and the School of MIME has two honorees. Dr. David Blunck was recognized for his research, "Ignition, Deflagration and Detonation Behavior of Fuel and Oxidizer Mixed with Combustion Products. Dr. Yiğit Mengüç was honored for "Soft Marine Robotics with Cephalopod-Inspired Dynamic Motion Primitives and Electroactive Fluidic Sensing and Actuation." Young Investigator Program awards aim to bring scientists and engineers into the Department of Navy's (DoN's) research program as well as encourage and support their teaching and research careers.
School of MIME Names Graduate Expo Winners
School of MIME announces its top presenters from the OSU College of Engineering Grad Research Expo 2016 held March 1 in Portland. Winning first place among mechanical engineering presenters, Mohammad Ali Davarpanah, advised by Dr. Rajiv Malhotra, earns a $400 prize for his research, "Incremental Forming of Polymers." Connor Mc Cue took the $100 second place award for his research, "Temperature Stable Dielectrics Based on BaTiO3-Bi(Zn1/2Ti1/2)O3-BiScO3-NaNbO3. Mc Cue is advised by Dr. David Cann. Katarina Morowsky earned first place among industrial engineering presenters for "Manifestation of Human Error in Helicopter Cockpits." Morowsky, advised by Dr. Ken Funk, also receives a $400 prize. The IE runner up was Amin Mirkouei, advised by Dr. Karl Haapala with his research on "Multi-criteria Decision Making for Sustainable Bio-Oil Production using a Mixed Supply Chain." Mirkouei earns the $100 second-place prize. Congratulations to our winners, and all our presenters who made the event such a success.
Mark Your Calendar
OSU AIAA Hosts 2016 Student Paper Conference, April 1-3
Oregon State's AIAA chapter is this year's host of the 2016 AIAA Region VI Student Paper Conference -- a student run conference for peers around the western U.S. who are interested in aerospace. The conference, which runs April 1-3 at Oregon State, includes a technical research paper competition for undergraduate and Master’s students, a tour of Columbia Helicopters, talks from distinguished speakers in aerospace fields, and professional and social networking events. It is an amazing opportunity to connect with professionals with in aerospace industry and education as well as other students with similar interests. You do not have to submit an abstract to attend the conference; there is a $20 registration fee which cover meals and industry tours. This is a great opportunity to learn more about aerospace engineering, which will soon be added as a minor option for undergrads. Conference highlights include: student presentation on current research in the field of aerospace; tour of Columbia Helicopters; hear from distinguished speakers; speed mentoring; six meals included in registration fee.
MECOP applications now open until March 31
The spring application for MECOP is now open through March 31. Access the online application through the following link: www.mecopinc.org/apply-applications. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the MECOP office at 888-960-9279
MPRL Opening Hours – Winter Term, Week 10
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 4 - 5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
Micro/Nanomanufacturing REU at University of Louisville
The J.B. Speed School of Engineering (SSOE) at the University of Louisville (UofL) is hosting an NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates program this summer. The research theme of the REU program is micro/nano manufacturing titled, "IMPACT (Interdisciplinary Micro/nano-manufacturing Program Addressing Challenges Today." Projects are on this website. The program funds eight students from outside UofL to stay on campus for 10 weeks starting May 31 and perform cutting-edge research under the guidance of an SSoE faculty mentor. The program also contains valuable educational training sessions on writing, presenting, IP, entrepreneurship and ethics.
Hydro Research Foundation Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation is leading the Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. The awards – which include a living stipend of up to $18,000 and a tuition-and-allowance of up to $10,000 – are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. In 2016, the Foundation anticipates making one-year awards to between 4-10 students. Applications are due March 14, 2016, for appointments beginning June 2016 for one-year funding.
REU on Security Printing and Anti-Counterfeiting Technology
This NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates Site at South Dakota School of Mines and Technology (SDSMT), the University of South Dakota (USD) and South Dakota State University, provides undergraduate students a chance to conduct cutting-edge research focused on security printing and anti-counterfeiting technology. Counterfeiting is a growing issue in the U.S., posing serious economic, safety and national security concerns. The REU program is a multi-disciplinary program with research opportunities in Materials Science and Engineering, Materials Chemistry, Electrical/Computer Engineering, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Apply by March 18.
Great Minds in STEM (GMiS) 2016 HENAAC Scholarships
Graduating high school seniors, undergraduate students and graduate students, who intend to or are currently pursuing a science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM) degree at an accredited college/university in the U.S. or Puerto Rico, are encouraged to apply for the merit-based Great Minds in STEM scholarships. Students must have an overall minimum 3.0 GPA and must be of Hispanic descent or demonstrate strong leadership or service within the Hispanic community. Scholarship awards range from $500 - $10,000. Apply by April 30.
Job and Internship Opportunities
The ONAMI Graduate Internship in Startups seeks graduate students for positions with Voxtel Nano. The internship is open to graduate students who are currently working with ONAMI Member Researchers, or who have recently completed their MS or PhD within the last year. The objective of the research is to help Voxtel succeed with 3D optics printing at the Corvallis ATAMI facility lab. Interested students should send their resume and cover letter to Paul Harmon, at Voxtel Nano (email@example.com), and copy Cindy Dahl (firstname.lastname@example.org).
PCC Structurals is looking for summer interns. Past projects have included helping to specify requirement for an automated fork truck coordinating site testing at our facility; attending Kuka training at their facility in Detroit Michigan; and robotic loading and unloading of an x-ray machine. Interested candidates should send a resume to email@example.com by Fri., March 11.
The CIRE Lab is seeking a sophomore or junior level student to maintain the group website. The student must have experience with creating websites and using Drupal. Interested students need to send a resume to Dr. David Blunck (David.Blunck@oregonstate.edu)
Hewlett-Packard in Corvallis has opening in their summer 2016 internship program in the HP BioPrinting group. The position is designed for a grad student, or an undergrad entering their senior year. The start and end dates are somewhat flexible, but the intern should plan for at least 10 weeks on the job. The position description is found at: https://hp.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=1493202
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- Nolan Transportation Group seeks a Carrier Operations Specialist Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10346
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks an Operations Management Development Program Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9968
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks a Co-op and Internship Program Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9971
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks a Research Experiences/Internships Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States, Morgantown, West Virginia United States, Albany, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 5160
- Anjaneyap Global Inc seeks an Entry Level Business Analyst and Quality Analyst Location: Milpitas, California Job ad expires on: 3/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10076
- Grakon LLC seeks a Thermal Testing Intern Location: Kent, WA Job ad expires on: 3/20/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10121
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks a HVAC Careers Location: Tualatin, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10193
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks an AutoCAD Drafter / Assistant Estimator Location: Tualatin, OR Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10184
- NVIDIA seeks a MECHANICAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10156
- NVIDIA seeks a THERMAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10157
- ENERGY NORTHWEST has summer 2016 Internships Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10233
- Pacific Quest seeks a Program Guide Location: Big Island, Hawaii Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10235
- AAA Metal Fabrication seeks a Design/Mechanical Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10236
- Sagetech Corporation seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: White Salmon, WA Job ad expires on: 3/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10260
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory seeks a University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7962
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8675
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8676
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Supply Chain Management Rotational Program Location: Beaverton, OR; San Jose, CA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8679
- Xerox seeks a Process Engineer - Chemical (New College Hire) Location: Wilsonville, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9550
- Texas Instruments seeks a Manufacturing Supervisor Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9697
- WaferTech seeks an Engineering Internships Location: Camas, WA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9760
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10284
- Translations.com seeks a Junior Localization Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 4/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10354
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Range Safety Officer (RSO) Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 4/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10427
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 4/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10911
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 4/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10912
- Garmin AT seeks a Product Support Specialist Summer/Seasonal Location: Salem, OR Job ad expires on: 4/8/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10488
- Linn County General Services seeks an Industrial Engineering Intern Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 4/17/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10635
- Columbia Machine, Inc seeks a Mechanical/Electrical Intern Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 4/18/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10655
- L&M Industrial Fabrication seeks a Senior Project Manager Location: Tangent Job ad expires on: 4/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10820
- Cardno ChemRisk seeks a Health Scientist/Consultant Location: San Francisco, CA; Aliso Viejo, CA; Boulder, CO; Washington, DC; Chicago, IL; Brooklyn, NY; Pittsburgh, PA; Houston, TX Job ad expires on: 4/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10833
- Nan Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Various (Maui, Oahu, etc) Job ad expires on: 4/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10847
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Electrical/Signal) Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9411
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9412
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9413
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Mechanical Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9414
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9416
- Collins Agricultural Consultants Inc. seeks a Research Technician Location: Oregon City Job ad expires on: 5/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8939
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration seeks a Junior Officer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 5/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6188
- Paradigm Construction LLC seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu Job ad expires on: 5/23/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10782
- Intel Corporation seeks an Automation Engineer Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10712
- JE Dunn Construction seeks a Project Engineer | Field Engineer | Mechanical/Electrical Engineer | Estimator Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 6/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6786
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a E. & J. Gallo: Coastal Operations Department Internship Program (6 Months) Location: Healdsburg, St. Helena, Napa, San Miguel, San Luis Obispo Job ad expires on: 6/24/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10557
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at The University of Texas at Arlington is recruiting in the area of computational aerothermodynamics as a member of the Aerodynamics Research Center. We are looking for an individual who can complement ongoing experimental research in the areas of hypersonic aerothermodynamics and propulsion, chemically-reacting flows, supersonic aerodynamics, and pressure-gain combustion; and collaborate with faculty to develop new areas of research.
- University at Buffalo - SUNY seeks an Assistant Teaching Professor in the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department to start fall 2016. Posting number 1600015. Position is open until filled.
- University of Louisville Department of Industrial Engineering seeks applicants for an Assistant Professor Term Position in Industrial Engineering (Job ID No.: UL509). Open until filled.
- The School of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University is seeking exceptional candidates for a tenured or tenure-track faculty position in areas related to computational thermo-fluid sciences. Open until filled.
- The Department of Industrial, Manufacturing, & Systems Engineering (IMSE) at the University of Texas at Arlington invites applications for multiple tenure-track positions in a) engineering management and (b) complex systems modeling. Applications accepted until positions are full.
- The University of Washington, Dept. of Industrial & Systems Engineering invites applications for a full-time lecturer position in the broad areas of Industrial & Systems Engineering. Apply by March 1.
- The Department of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management at Western New England University seeks applications and nominations for the position of Chair of the Department of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM) starting in Fall 2016. Apply by March 1.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at California State University, Sacramento invites applications for a tenure-track position in the area of thermal science, product design, and sustainability. Apply by March 1.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- UCLA, the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department of the Naval Postgraduate School is inviting applications from electron Microscopy Specialists to fulfill a research assistant professor position to support the research and development of a variety of materials including metals, ceramics, carbon-based materials and composites. Apply by April 1.
- NEW -- The Russ College of Engineering and Technology at Ohio University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor Position in Industrial and Systems Engineering. Apply by April 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Vanderbilt University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of nanomaterials, for solving critical energy issues. Apply by May 1.
- The Jet Propulsion Laboratory at California Institute of Technology has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar. The study is in the area of Direct Numerical Simulation (DNS) and Large Eddy Simulation (LES) of high-pressure turbulent reactive flows. Applicants should e-mail the following material: 1. A complete Curriculum Vitae, with lists of (i) refereed journal publications and (ii) name, address, e-mail and telephone number of at least three references. 2. An electronic copy for each of his/her most recent journal publications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.