Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
March 30, 2015
This Week's Features
Blacksmithing Club Forges Bowie Knife, Wins TMS Bladesmithing Competition
The OSU Blacksmithing Club recently won 1st place in a bladesmithing competition at the Annual Meeting and Exhibition of The Metals, Minerals and Materials Society (TMS) in Orlando, Florida, on March 15-19. More than 25 teams of students and artisans submitted blades for the inaugural competition. The team’s blade was based on the historical Bowie knife design with a D-guard. The team constructed a propane-fueled forge for the competition and created a billet of forge-welded Damascus. This Damascus billet consisted of 24 alternating layers of AISI 1095 and 15N20 steel alloys. The D-guard hand forged cable Damascus folded 9 times. The handle is black walnut burl with brass pommel nut and pins.
The team would like to thank the School of MIME and Benchmade Knife Co. for financial support!
Cody Fast, Mechanical Engineering graduate student
Casey Husk, Mechanical Engineering undergraduate
Hunter Lottsfeldt, Mechanical Engineering undergraduate
Lucas Teeter, Materials Science graduate student
Marco Teeter, Bioengineering undergraduate
Julie Tucker, MIME, Faculty Advisor
MIME Student Chapter Professional Society Speaker Series Features Jay Wilt
Oregon Stater Jay Wilt will speak to students next week as part of the 2014-15 MIME Student Chapter Professional Society Speaker Series. Wilt, who earned his B.S. in Industrial Engineering in 1975, was named to the Academy of Distinguished Engineering in 1998. Wilt is the co-founder of Laughlin-Wilt Group, Inc., a company that won the 1998 Oregon Manufacturing Entrepreneur of the Year award. The start-up grew to a 280-employee, $30 million operation in a decade's time.
MIME Professional Speaker Series | DATE: April 7 | TIME: 6.30 pm | Place: KEC 1003
Contest for Materials Science Students and Materials Researchers
The Oregon chapter of the ASM International (American Society for Metals) will hold their annual Student Presentation Contest on April 21 in Portland. Winner receive cash awards, and it is worth noting that in the past years, Oregon State students have done very well at this event. The contest also is also great practice for giving presentations and excellent for your resume. Materials Science students, and also undergraduates doing materials research projects or materials student projects (e.g., blade-smithing, FSAE), may submit an abstract, too. The abstract deadline is Friday, April 17. To submit an abstract, ask questions, or receive more information contact Dr. Khalid Khan via email: email@example.com
Grad Students -- Great News for Late-Spring and Summer Defenders
A new policy from the Oregon State Graduate School has made it possible for those graduate students scheduled to defend in summer of late spring to participate in the annual commencement ceremony. Basically, no matter when a student might defend during spring (or summer) term, if they file a Diploma Application by April 3 (this Friday), confirm their commencement attendance, and submit the appropriate "Intent to Graduate" form by April 24, then they will be able to attend the OSU commencement. School of MIME will follow the same policy. So going forward we will allow upcoming summer graduates to participate in our MIME commencement ceremony. For your information, the deadlines for participating fully in the June 12 ceremony (with diploma work complete) include a May 1, or earlier, defense date. Review the details here.
Mark Your Calendar
Advancing the Careers of Technical Women: ACT-W Conference
The annual Advancing the Careers of Technical Women: ACT-W conference on Portland is approaching quickly. The April 11-12 event is expanded this year to include two full days of career workshops (negotiation, leadership, etc.), technical workshops, and a career fair. The organizers, which include ChickTech and Women Who Code, still are accepting proposals to lead or participate in breakout sessions, or otherwise register to attend this great women in tech networking event.
One-Stop Shopping for Graduation Needs – OSU Grad Fair
The OSU Grad Fair will take place April 20 and 21 from 10 am to 4 pm at the OSU Beaver Store. Graduates can choose, size and order everything at the Grad Fair, including regalia, announcements, and class rings. The registrar’s office, alumni association, and Honors College will be on site as well to assist graduates with questions regarding graduation. Students with questions about regalia, should contact the OSU Beaver Store. If you have questions about Oregon State graduation announcements or OSU official rings, contact Jostens at 1-800-854-7464 or online.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Tues, April 7
MIME Graduate Defense: "Non-Stoichiometry in Perovskite Solid-Solutions," by Sasiporn (Noon) Prasertpalichat, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy in Materials Science, 2 PM, Rogers 226.
MPRL Opening Hours –Week One, Spring Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for the week ending April 4 is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8 – 10 am, 12 – 1pm, 3 – 5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Wednesday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Friday – 8 am - 1 pm, 3 – 5 pm | Saturday – closed
New ME Graduate Option in Advanced Manufacturing Approved
School of MIME will offer a new ME graduate option in advanced manufacturing as of summer term 2015. The approval of the new graduate option gives a transcript-visible notation for those mechanical engineering (ME) graduate students with an understanding of advanced manufacturing. The coursework for the advanced manufacturing option focuses on equipping students to choose or engineer commercially-feasible manufacturing processes and systems that enable the high-value products of tomorrow.
Scholarships and Fellowships
Scholarships from the Zonta Service Foundation of Corvallis
The Zonta Service Foundation of Corvallis currently is accepting applications for the Rusnak Scholarship and two Zonta Club scholarships. They are $1,000 per term ($3K total). Applicants for the Rusnak and Zonta Club STEM scholarships must be focused on a career in science, technology, engineering, or math, and first consideration will be given to a woman entering a field or profession where women are underrepresented. The application must be post-marked or delivered by April 3.
Job and Internship Opportunities
FEATURED: The OSU Energy Efficiency Center is Hiring
The OSU Energy Efficiency Center (EEC) is looking for a motivated Energy Analyst student to work part-time during the school year (10-12 hrs/week) and full-time during the summer (30-40 hrs/week). Students should have a solid technical aptitude, and a proven ability to apply themselves, learn new technologies, work independently, and complete assignments in a timely manner. This position offers the successful applicant a great opportunity for quality experience and professional development.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Beaver Careers ID: 2790 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Beaver Careers ID: 2793 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. seeks a Field Industrial Engineer (Full-time) Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 4037 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. seeks a Field Industrial Engineer (Intern) Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 4038 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Amorphyx seeks a Process Engineer Location: Corvallis OR Beaver Careers ID: 5055 Job ad expires on: 4/1/2015
- ENERGY NORTHWEST seeks an Intern-Design Engineering (5515) Location: Richland, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4526 Job ad expires on: 4/4/2015
- ENERGY NORTHWEST seeks an Intern-Plant Support Engineering (5513) Location: Richland, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4528 Job ad expires on: 4/4/2015
- Zephyr seeks a Technical Support Engineer Location: Newark Beaver Careers ID: 4531 Job ad expires on: 4/4/2015
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Beaver Careers ID: 4552 Job ad expires on: 4/5/2015
- Sandy Farms seeks a Processing Plant Supervisor Location: Boring, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 4693 Job ad expires on: 4/12/2015
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services (Unmanned Arial Systems) Intern 2015 Location: Fort Worth, TX Beaver Careers ID: 4702 Job ad expires on: 4/13/2015
- Cardinal Glass Industries seeks a Process Engineer Location: Winlock, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4751 Job ad expires on: 4/18/2015
- Trinity Consultants, Inc. seeks an Environmental Engineer/Consultant Location: Seattle, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4776 Job ad expires on: 4/19/2015
- Thermogen Technologies, Inc. seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4799 Job ad expires on: 4/20/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Signal or Structures) - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4328 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4329 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Transportation Manager - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4330 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Internship/Coop Location: Various Locations Beaver Careers ID: 4337 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Trillium Technical seeks an Entry-level, hands-on Mechanical Engineering opportunities in the automotive industry in southeastern Michigan Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan Beaver Careers ID: 1998 Job ad expires on: 4/24/2015
- Dawson Construction, Inc. seeks a Project Management Internship Location: Bellingham, WA Beaver Careers ID: 5024 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Intern, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Beaver Careers ID: 2792 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- ProIT Inc. seeks a BigData Analyst Location: Across US Beaver Careers ID: 4031 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Dassault Systemes seeks an Education Material Intern Location: Seattle Wa Beaver Careers ID: 4738 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The Pennsylvania State University Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering has an opening for an Undergraduate Coordinator to assist in teaching and advising activities. The position is for a fixed-term faculty member who will supervise the daily operation of our Undergraduate Programs Office and who will contribute to teaching. Screening of applicants begins April 1.
- The Idaho National Laboratory has a Postdoctoral Research opportunity, Posting 8722: Thermal Transport of Nuclear Materials Postdoctoral Research Associate, apply by April 13.
- The College of Engineering at Northeastern University seeks a non-tenure track Assistant Academic Specialist for its expanding Professional Master of Science Programs. Review of applications will begin immediately and will proceed until the position is filled.
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Naval Postgraduate School has a position open for a tenure-track faculty in Autonomous Systems with an emphasis on Underwater Vehicles. Candidates should immediately send an application letter, along with curriculum vitae and names of three references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: Garth Hobson | Professor and Chairman | Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering | 700 Dyer Road, Watkins Hall, Room 338 | Naval Postgraduate School | Monterey, CA 93943-5100 USA. Position will remain open until filled.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes at Southern Illinois University Carbondale seeks applicants for a Tenure-Track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor starting August 16, 2015. The application deadline is April 1.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.