Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University
March 27, 2017
This Week's Features
More Early-Career Standouts for School of MIME
Three School of MIME faculty have achieved early-career benchmarks by earning prestigious and competitive research awards from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Office of Naval Research (ONR). This is the second year in a row that the school can boast three winners in a single year. Continue reading...
Will this Oregon-designed robot soon deliver your groceries? (Willamette Week)
At TechfestNW, Jonathan Hurst, associate professor of mechanical engineering professor, described a robot that’s perhaps more adroit than any other robot in the world, the first to solve a problem that’s been dogging robotics engineers since the beginnings of the field. Continue reading...
Faculty Spotlight: Brian Fronk
Assistant Professor Brian Fronk researches thermal energy systems and heat transfer in the domains of both applied and fundamental science. Among his primary aims is to develop technologies to make renewable energy economically competitive with fossil fuels. Continue reading...
Mark Your Calendar
Kobie Boykins: Exploring Mars
Boykins’ boundless enthusiasm for unraveling the mysteries of outer space, and Mars in particular, is infectious. Join him for an engaging evening exploring the Red Planet ⎯ with an update on the very latest chapter in the ongoing story of Mars exploration. Student discounts available.
April 1 | 8 p.m. | Hult Center for the Performing Arts, Eugene, OR
Beaver BarCamp 17
Share your passion, connect with others, and learn something new at Beaver BarCamp 17. This is an informal un-conference that has been hosted by the OSU Open Source Lab for over 10 years. Attendees can participate in sessions throughout the day or propose their own session on a project, hobby or research interest. Help us fill OSU’s Kelley Engineering Center with interesting ideas and skills.
Saturday, April 8, 2017 | 9 a.m.-6 p.m. | Kelley Engineering Center
Corvallis Maker Fair
OSU will host the fourth annual CO• Maker Fair, an event which honors craftsmanship and technology by bringing together makers to share their knowledge, skills, and resources the community. Exhibitors include HP and the HP Makerspace, the OSU DAMLab, ChickTech, DaVinci Days, Viking Mars Mission Makers, Gearbox, Corvallis Geek Olympics, and Pi Dads.
Saturday, April 15 | 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. | Memorial Union Ballroom and Student Experience Center Plaza
Science Pub Portland: Designing Robots to Walk and Run
Join Jonathan Hurst, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Oregon State University. Designing passive dynamics, which are generated by the mechanical hardware, and software control algorithms together in tight integration can drastically improve the performance of a machine as measured by efficiency, agility, and robustness to disturbances.
April 18 | 7 p.m. | Empirical Theater at OMSI
Spring 2017 HWeekend - Impact Oregon!
HWeekend returns April 23-23! This free hardware development competition, sponsored by the College of Engineering, College of Business, and InnovationX, brings students of all levels and majors together with industry and faculty mentors to create something new. Students work together in teams to create a marketable project they can demonstrate and pitch to judges at the end of the weekend. The theme for this event is Impact Oregon! Come together with a group of friends to make something that is uniquely Oregon or could help Oregon citizens. More info: webpage, video. Application deadline: April 5. Learn how to participate .
April 22-23 | Austin Hall
COE Faculty Development Workshop
This workshop focuses on ways to recruit, retain, and mentor GTAs and GRAs.
April 28, | 4 - 6:30 p.m. | 1003 Kelley Engineering Center
The MECOP application for students beginning pro school this summer or fall, is now open. The application will close on March 31. Allow yourself several hours to complete the application. Even if you have not yet applied to pro school for summer or fall, you can apply now to MECOP. See MECOP Application and pro school application page for more information.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
Rusnak & Zonta Club STEM Scholarships - Ten $3,000 awards to Women in STEM
Zonta Service Foundation of Corvallis is accepting applications for the Rusnak Scholarship and a minimum of five Zonta Club STEM scholarships. These scholarships are earmarked for female students who are committed to a career in science, technology, engineering or math. They offer $1,000 per term for 3 terms to help cover tuition, fees, books, and supplies that are charged to the recipient's account at LBCC, OSU or both institutions for recipients in the Degree Partnership Program. Learn more and apply. Applications deadline: April 5, 2017.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Intel wants MIME students interested in a Manufacturing Technical Supervisor role at the Hillsboro facility. A recruitment event will be held Thursday, April 13 at 6 p.m. in Rogers Hall, room 230. More information and registration.
The PROMISE program is a paid summer internship which provides experiential learning opportunities for Oregon State University undergraduate students, with particular emphasis on providing pathways for historically underrepresented students into professional careers. Internships are available to all OSU undergraduate students who are or will be enrolled for Spring term, who have completed at least 90 undergraduate credits, and who have a current cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher. Preference will be given to first-time applicants. Learn more.
Multnomah County government invites you to apply to participate in the 2017 Office of Diversity and Equity College to County Mentorship Program. The purpose of the program is to expose you to county careers so you will consider working for the county when you graduate. We are interested in students with leadership potential and a desire to work in public service. Learn more.
DON Pathways Internship Program (Mechanical Engineer Student Trainee) Office of Naval Research
Would you like to become a member of an elite research and development community involved in basis and applied scientific research and advanced technology development for tomorrow's Navy? The Naval Research Laboratory is a vital and innovative research institution with a proud heritage of discovery and innovation. As the Department of Navy's corporate laboratory, NRL performs a wide range of basic and applied research leading to future naval materials, components, sensors, systems and capabilities. The NRL's efforts push beyond current technology boundaries. NRL has a continued need for highly motivated, innovative, and creative students pursuing degrees in science and engineering. Learn more and apply.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 3/28/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16129
- Hewlett Packard seeks an Industrial Engineer Intern Location: Corvallis OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16489
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Product Development Engineer Location: Tillamook, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16571
- Texas Instruments seeks a Technical Sales & Product Marketing Engineer FT & Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16011
- Moss Adams seeks a Cost Segregation Summer Intern 2017 Location: Portland, OR and Irvine, CA Job ad expires on: 4/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16515
- Glumac seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Corvallis, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16508
- Paradigm Construction LLC seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu Job ad expires on: 4/14/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 10782
- E. & J. Gallo seeks an Operations Technical Safety Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16274
- E. & J. Gallo seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16340
- E. & J. Gallo seeks a Process Technology Engineering Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16341
- Alston Construction seeks a Project Engineer Location: Seattle, WA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17457
- Cambia Health Solutions seeks an Enterprise Website Migration Intern Location: Portland, OR, USA, 97201 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17482
- Flonomix seeks a Trainee Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17027
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) Operations Management Training Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 4/27/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16161
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 4/27/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16129
- Sustainable Mechanical Systems seeks a Sales Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16296
- College Possible has College Possible AmeriCorps and VISTA Positions 17-18 Location: Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Milwaukee, Omaha, Portland, Philadelphia, Chicago Job ad expires on: 5/15/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17464
- Intel Corporation seeks a Lab Technician Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17462
- Apex Systems seeks a Recruiting Inside Sales Trainee (Recruiter) Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17466
- Apex Systems seeks a Delivery Recruiter Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17467
- Urban Teachers seeks a Urban Teacher Resident Location: Baltimore, MD Job ad expires on: 5/20/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17458
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI) seeks a 2017 Fall Congressional Intern Location: Washington, D.C. Job ad expires on: 5/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15537
- Overwatch Imaging seeks a Computer Vision Engineering Intern Location: Hood River, OR Job ad expires on: 5/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17503
- Reynolds & Reynolds seeks an Entry Level Outside Sales Trainee Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 5/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17495
- Umpqua Bank seeks a Project Technology Auditor Location: Tigard, Oregon Job ad expires on: 5/23/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17558
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.