Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University
March 20, 2017
This Week's Features
OSU Robotics gets ready for University Rover Competition
The OSU Robotics Club Mars Rover Team is excited to return to competition in 2017. See their rover in action and learn more about its improved design. Good luck team!
New tool aids surgeons with bad posture in the OR
Xinhui Zhu, assistant professor of industrial engineering, co-led a research group that developed a new tool to identify poor posture and correct awkward positions for surgeons in the operating room. Read more about their work.
Mark Your Calendar
Beaver BarCamp 17
Share your passion, connect with others, and learn something new at Beaver BarCamp 17. This is an informal un-conference that has been hosted by the OSU Open Source Lab for over 10 years. Attendees can participate in sessions throughout the day or propose their own session on a project, hobby or research interest. Help us fill OSU’s Kelley Engineering Center with interesting ideas and skills.
Saturday, April 8, 2017 | 9 a.m.-6 p.m. | Kelley Engineering Center
Corvallis Maker Fair
OSU will host the fourth annual CO• Maker Fair, an event which honors craftsmanship and technology by bringing together makers to share their knowledge, skills, and resources the community. Exhibitors include HP and the HP Makerspace, the OSU DAMLab, ChickTech, DaVinci Days, Viking Mars Mission Makers, Gearbox, Corvallis Geek Olympics, and Pi Dads.
Saturday, April 15 | 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. | Memorial Union Ballroom and Student Experience Center Plaza
Spring 2017 HWeekend - Impact Oregon!
HWeekend returns April 23-23! This free hardware development competition, sponsored by the College of Engineering, College of Business, and InnovationX, brings students of all levels and majors together with industry and faculty mentors to create something new. Students work together in teams to create a marketable project they can demonstrate and pitch to judges at the end of the weekend. The theme for this event is Impact Oregon! Come together with a group of friends to make something that is uniquely Oregon or could help Oregon citizens. More info: webpage, video. Application deadline: April 5. Learn how to participate .
April 22-23 | Austin Hall
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
MIME Graduate Defense: "Automated Assembly Planning: From CAD Model to Virtual Assembly Process," by Nima Rafibakhsh, candidate for doctor of philosophy in mechanical engineering. Major Professor: Prof. Matt Campbell. 10:30 AM, Rogers 226.
Tuesday, March 21, 2017
MIME Graduate Defense: " Evolutionary Approach for a Multi-Objective Spare Parts Location–Inventory Problem with Time–Based Service Levels," by Prasanna Venkatesh Rajaraman, candidate for doctor of philosophy in industrial engineering. Major Professor: Dr. Hector Vergara. 2:00 PM, Rogers 226.
Thursday, March 23, 2017
MIME Graduate Defense: "Determinants of Resilience in Power Systems – A Look at Situational Awareness," by Yuchi Zhang, candidate for doctor of philosophy in industrial engineering. Major Professor: Dr. Chinweike Eseonu. 10:00 am, Rogers 237.
The Corvallis chapter of ChickTech is looking for some fabulous volunteers to help lead workshops for their annual kick-off event at the OSU Corvallis Campus on June 24 and 25, 2017. Volunteers will help teach high school girls learn how to create their own personal project such as a phone app or robot. Selected workshops for this year are as follows: Robotics, Website Development/UX, Soft Circuits & Microcontrollers, 3D Design & Printing, and Virtual Reality. They are also looking for volunteers to help out during the event. Potential tasks include registration, set-up/clean-up, food carts, drivers, etc. If interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
CCE Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
Undergraduate students can apply now for the CCE Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF). The program will award fellowships of $4,500 to support hands-on research in resilience, safety, and infrastructure renewal. Highlights include a project with faculty mentor, weekly seminars, and site-specific field work. Learn more and apply. Application deadline extended: Tuesday, March 21 at noon.
Rusnak & Zonta Club STEM Scholarships - Ten $3,000 awards to Women in STEM
Zonta Service Foundation of Corvallis is accepting applications for the Rusnak Scholarship and a minimum of five Zonta Club STEM scholarships. These scholarships are earmarked for female students who are committed to a career in science, technology, engineering or math. They offer $1,000 per term for 3 terms to help cover tuition, fees, books, and supplies that are charged to the recipient's account at LBCC, OSU or both institutions for recipients in the Degree Partnership Program. Learn more and apply. Applications deadline: April 5, 2017.
Job and Internship Opportunities
The OSU Energy Efficiency Center (EEC) is looking for motivated Energy Analyst students to work part-time during the school year (10-12 hrs/week) and full-time during the summer (30-40 hrs/week). Students should have a solid technical aptitude and a proven ability to apply themselves, learn new technologies, work independently, and complete assignments in a timely manner. This position offers the successful applicant a great opportunity for quality experience and professional development. Learn more and apply.
The CIRE and Propulsion Laboratories are looking for an undergraduate student to work hourly on forest fire research who has a current red card. Interested students should send their resume to Dr. Blunck at David.Blunck@oregonstate.edu.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- Idaho National Laboratory has a University/College Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/25/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15324
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 3/28/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16129
- Hewlett Packard seeks an Industrial Engineer Intern Location: Corvallis OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16489
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Product Development Engineer Location: Tillamook, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16571
- Texas Instruments seeks a Technical Sales & Product Marketing Engineer FT & Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16011
- Moss Adams seeks a Cost Segregation Summer Intern 2017 Location: Portland, OR and Irvine, CA Job ad expires on: 4/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16515
- Glumac seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Corvallis, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16508
- Paradigm Construction LLC seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu Job ad expires on: 4/14/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 10782
- E. & J. Gallo seeks an Operations Technical Safety Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16274
- E. & J. Gallo seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16340
- E. & J. Gallo seeks a Process Technology Engineering Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16341
- Flonomix seeks a Trainee Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17027
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) Operations Management Training Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 4/27/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16161
- Sustainable Mechanical Systems seeks a Sales Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16296
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.