This Week's Features
Winter Awards Banquet – Most Outstanding
School of MIME’s “most outstanding” were honored last week at the annual awards dinner. 2014 faculty winners received votes from students, and students received votes from faculty. The 2014 Most Outstanding Student winners were Paul Ferrigno - ME and Kurt Muramatsu – IME, while 2014 Most Outstanding Professor honors went to Nancy Squires – ME, and Hector Vergara – IME.
OSU IIE Video is Up on Youtube
OSU IIE Student Chapter video is complete, and up on Youtube, so take a moment and enjoy the creative energies of the IIE students promoting their course of study for the IIE national competition. The short video includes appearances by MIME faculty and students.
Senior Pictures – Last Sessions are in April
April is the last month to book an appointment for MIME senior pictures. Visit the scheduler link to book an appointment for a senior picture. The photos are taken in Rogers 304.
Mark Your Calendar
Patent Office Registration Exam
Students with degrees in engineering, computer sciences, or sciences (chemistry, biology, physics and related disciplines), may learn about how to take the Patent Office Registration Exam and become a qualified Patent Agent. There is an informational session on Wed., April 2 at 4 pm in Batcheller 150.
ASM International Annual Student Night in Portland
The Oregon Chapter of ASM International will hold its annual student night event on Tues., April 15, at the University of Portland. As a part of the event, ASM holds a student presentation competition with cash prizes for the top three presenters. The event includes dinner for the students, and there are both graduate and undergraduate divisions. Abstracts are due by April 8.
IE Six Sigma Green Belt
The Oregon State Student Chapter of the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) is excited to announce the offering a Six Sigma Green Belt Certification Course. The course capacity is limited to 35 students, and registration opens on Wed., March 19 at 10:30 pm. For information, please visit the IIE Six Sigma Green Belt registration page, or contact OSU IIE Internal Vice President Aaron Sprunger with questions.
Who: Students (Master's and PhD students as well as those graduating winter term are all welcome)
What: Six Sigma Green Belt Course and Certificate
When: April 11-13, 2014, the course runs from 8:30 am – 5:00 pm each day, with lunch provided.
Cost: $375 ($50 refund if more than 30 students register, so encourage your friends!)
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer: This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Mon, March 3
MIME Graduate Defense: “Alternative Design Considerations for a Wave Energy Converter: A Sustainability Approach,” by Erin Collins, candidate for Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering. 12:00 pm, Rogers 226.
Mon, March 17
MIME Graduate Defense: “Design of composite sandwich panels for a Formula SAE monocoque chassis,” by Robert Story, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 9:00 am, Rogers 226.
Wed, April 2
MIME Graduate Defense: “Theoretical and Implementation Concerns of Difference Evaluation Functions,” by Mitchell Colby, candidate for Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering, 9:00 AM, Rogers 226.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Research Internships
- Zonta Service Foundation of Corvallis is accepting applications for its 2014-2015 Rusnak Scholarship. This $2700 scholarship is reserved for a female student focused on a career in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math, and offers $900 per quarter to help cover tuition, fees, books, and supplies charged to a recipient's account at either Linn Benton Community College or Oregon State University. For LBCC/OSU degree partnership students, the total payment can be divided between the two institutions. Applications are due April 4.
- NEW -- SMTA is awarding a $5,000 Charles Hutchins Educational Grant for any Engineering Graduate Schools/Students. The grant has been presented annually since 1998 to a full time graduate-level student pursuing a degree and working on thesis research in electronic assembly, electronics packaging, or a related field.. Applications are due April 14.
- NEW -- The Applied Computer Security Associates will award scholarships from women in their undergraduate and masters' degree programs through the Scholarships for Women Studying Information Security. With the support of a $250,000 4-year contribution from Hewlett-Packard, ACSA plans to offer an increased number of scholarships for the 2014-15 academic year. Also new in 2014-15, the Committee on the Status of Women in Computing Research (CRA-W), an arm of the Computing Research Alliance, is joining SWSIS, and will lead selection of scholarship winners. Applications may be submitted starting March 30, and will be accepted until May 1.
Job and Internship Opportunities
FEATURED: Oregon State Robotics Research Experience for Undergraduates is accepting applications for its NSF REU “Robots in the real world," until March 31. The 10-week program runs from June 15 to August, and pays accepted applicants a stipend of $5,000 for participation, and it is open to undergraduates. Interested students should visit the program website and complete the online application form.
FEATURED: Boise State University is now accepting applications to its Research Experience for Undergraduates in Materials for Energy and Sustainability. First-year through senior-level materials science and engineering students are encouraged to apply, as well as students in allied fields (Chemistry, Physics, etc.). Students selected to participate receive a stipend of $400 per week for the May 29-Aug 1 program. March 17 is the priority deadline.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings.
- Georgia-Pacific seeks an entry-level engineer. The hire will be placed into one of the following roles: Process Engineering, Project Engineering, Reliability Engineering, Process Control Engineering or Research and Development. The application deadline: March 20. (Beaver JobNet ID 27584)
- NEW -- Roseburg Forest Products seeks a Controls & Automation Engineer. Applications are due by March 21. (Beaver JobNet ID 27140)
- Roseburg Forest Products seeks a Controls & Automation Engineer for Manufacturing automation and controls engineering for multiple large manufacturing facilities. This position will report to central engineering and will perform all aspects of automation design and implementation. The application deadline is March 21. (Beaver JobNet ID 27140)
- NEW -- Mainstream Engineering has an opening for a Mechanical R&D Intern (paid) at their Rockledge, Fla., location. The company develops and implements emerging technologies into military and private sector products. Applications are accepted until March 25. (Beaver JobNet ID 25982)
- NEW -- Ball Aerospace is accepting application for its internship program (paid) until March 25. The company produces spacecraft, instruments and sensors, RF and microwave technologies, data exploitation solutions and a variety of advanced aerospace technologies and products. (Beaver JobNet ID 2669)
- Near Space Corporation seeks a UAS flight test engineer at its Tillamook, Ore., location. Applications are accepted until March 26. (Beaver JobNet ID 25959)
- NEW -- Pierce Pacific Manufacturing is looking for an entry level mechanical engineer to be a part of our design team. Applications are due by March 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 27945)
- NEW -- Union Pacific Railroad seeks Production Managers for their Locomotive and Freight Car Departments) - Operations Management Training Program. Applications are accepted until March 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 27092)
- NEW -- WET Labs, Inc. is looking for a Manufacturing Engineer to drive development and continuous improvements to manufacturing processes in the Operations group. Applications are due by March 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 27942)
- Fahrenheit IT Staffing and Consulting seeks an Industrial Engineer for their client in the health care sector. The position is in Portland, Oregon, or Spokane, Washington. Application deadline: April 2. (Beaver JobNet ID 27670)
- NEW -- Micro Systems Engineering has an internship opportunity for Electrical, Biomedical, Mechanical, Computer Science, Chemical Engineering or Manufacturing engineering students. Applications are accepted until April 4. (Beaver JobNet ID 26979)
- NEW -- Schreiber Foods, Inc. seeks production leaders -- Dairy Production Supervisor (Team Advisor) -- for their manufacturing facilities. Applications are accepted until April 8, and should be submitted through the company web site.
- NEW -- Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals has 20 engineering and computer science summer internship openings at their San Francisco location. Applications are due by April 11, and must be submitted at www.bayerjobs.com.
- NEW -- International Forest Products Limited has an opening for a Reliability Engineer. The application deadline is April 14. (Beaver JobNet ID 28160)
- Carestream in White City, Oregon, seeks a Systems Technician with Carestream Health’s Dry Film Coating Group. The person in this position will provide technical support for the Process and Product Engineering groups. Application deadline is April 21. (Beaver JobNet ID 26170)
- Dyno Nobel is seeking two interns at its St Helens, Oregon, location for the summer, preferably in the discipline of chemical or mechanical engineering. Application Deadline: April 25. (Beaver JobNet ID 27341)
- Target Corp. seeks a Systems Engineer at its Albany, Oregon, location supporting the distribution center's production, focusing operational performance for equipment such as conveyors, sortation systems, scanners, cameras, depalletizers, print and apply systems, ASRS cranes, material handling robots, and SCADA devices and programs. The application deadline is April 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26861)
- NEW -- Amazon is looking for applicants with a degree in Degree in Engineering, Operations, Supply Chain, General Management for positions of Area Manager, Operations. The application deadline is May 14. (Beaver JobNet ID 27644).
- NEW -- Stahlbush Island Farms is looking for a Mechanical Engineer at their Corvallis location. Applications are due by May 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 27610)
- Maxim Integrated, a semiconductor manufacturer, seeks manufacturing and industrial engineering candidates for nationwide positions. The application deadline is May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25174)
- Safeway seeks applicants to its summer paid internship in manufacturing internship. Applications are accepted until May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25386)
- NEW -- JVNW, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Intern (paid) for a 3- to 6-month post at their Canby, Ore., location. Applications are due by June 30. (Beaver JobNet ID 28139)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The Mechanical Engineering Department at Bucknell University invites applications for one or more open-rank visiting faculty positions to begin August 2014. The position(s) may be extended beyond one year; reappointment would be subject to need and satisfactory performance. Review of applications begins as soon as March 17.
- NEW -- The Mechanical Engineering and the Electrical and Computer Engineering Departments at Seattle University invite applications for a tenure-track Associate Professor and Director of Systems Engineering beginning in 2014-15 school year.
- The College of Engineering & College of Fine Arts, University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV) invites applications for a full-time, non-tenure, tenure-track, or tenured position at the Assistant/Associate level commencing Fall 2014. The posting is open until filled.
- The College of Engineering at The University of Akron is inviting applications for the position of Design Professor in Mechanical Engineering. Candidates must possess a doctorate in mechanical engineering or a closely related discipline. The rank (Assistant/Associate/Full Professor) will match the experience. To apply, please visit www.uakron.edu/jobs and refer to Design Professor Position #8252. Review of applications begins immediately.
- Prairie View A&M University Department of Mechanical Engineering is looking for candidates for two tenure-track faculty positions 1) Mechanical Design; and 2) Dynamic Systems and Control.
- South Dakota State University has an opening for two assistant professors of Mechanical Engineering. For full consideration submit application materials by March 21.
- The Engineering Management and Systems Engineering department at Missouri University of Science and Technology is looking to hire an assistant professor, with a planned fall 2014 start date. Review of applications begins April 1.
- NEW -- The University of Queensland seeks a tenured professorial position with the School of Mechanical and Mining Engineering to take over the leadership of a research group in the area of geothermal and concentrating solar thermal (CST) power generation. The application deadline is April 21.