Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
March 16, 2015
This Week's Features
Winners from the March 5 Graduate Expo in Portland
Of the 218 graduate students from the College of Engineering who presented their research at the March 5 Graduate Expo in Portland, it was Andy Abate's "ATRIAS: Robotic Agility in an Uncertain World," that captured the public's eye. The School of MIME robotics student, advised by Dr. Jonathan Hurst, won first place in the "People's Choice" award. The award for the School of MIME top research presentation, as judged by a panel of industry representatives, went to Chris Sharp for "Wave Energy Converter Array Optimization." Sharp is advised by Dr. Bryony DuPont. Our MIME second place honoree was Kunal Kate, advised by Dr. Sundar Atre, with his presentation, "Material Properties in Ceramic Injection Molding Design."
Congratulations to all of our graduate students for the success of the event. Our guests included prospective undergraduate and graduate students, alumni, academic partners, and industry and media representatives. More than 85 unique companies registered to attend. Altogether 604 registered to participate, and more than 300 public guests came to the event.
Outstanding Faculty and Seniors at Pro-School Winter Awards Banquet
The 2015 MIME Pro-School Winter Awards Banquet honored the most outstanding mechanical engineering and industrial and manufacturing engineering faculty. The dinner, organized by the IME honor society Alpha Pi Mu and ME honor society Pi Tau Sigma, is held each year at the end of winter term. This year's winners are: Outstanding Seniors
-Mechanical Engineering: Daniel Miller
-Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering: Aimee Glenn
Faculty of the Year
-Mechanical Engineering: Dr. Nancy Squires
-Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering: Dr. Hector Vergara
New ME Graduate Option in Advanced Manufacturing Approved
School of MIME will offer a new ME graduate option in advanced manufacturing as of summer term 2015. The approval of the new graduate option gives a transcript-visible notation for those mechanical engineering (ME) graduate students with an understanding of advanced manufacturing. The coursework for the advanced manufacturing option focuses on equipping students to choose or engineer commercially-feasible manufacturing processes and systems that enable the high-value products of tomorrow.
Grad Students -- Great News for Late-Spring and Summer Defenders
A new policy from the Oregon State Graduate School has made it possible for those graduate students scheduled to defend in summer of late spring to participate in the annual commencement ceremony. Basically, no matter when a student might defend during spring (or summer) term, if they file a Diploma Application by April 3, confirm their commencement attendance and submit the appropriate "Intent to Graduate" form by April 24, then they will be able to attend the OSU commencement. School of MIME will follow the same policy. So going forward we will allow upcoming summer graduates to participate in our MIME commencement ceremony. For your information, the deadlines for participating fully in the June 12 ceremony (with diploma work complete) include a May 1, or earlier, defense date. Review the details here.
Mark Your Calendar
Apply to EECs’ Spring HWeekend, and Build Something Cool
School of EECS is accepting applications for their next HWeekend event on April 10, 11 and 12. This industry-sponsored “maker event” allows for teams to jam for a 30-hour build session and create an incredible project. All majors and all skill levels are welcome to apply. Over the course of the weekend, food and materials are supplied by the industry host, but participants typically bring their own laptops, and any tools they may want. This event does give participants access to amazing tools including 3D printers, laser cutters, and other electronics, and it does fill up as space is limited. Apply by March 30.
Advancing the Careers of Technical Women: ACT-W Conference
The annual Advancing the Careers of Technical Women: ACT-W conference on Portland is approaching quickly. The April 11-12 event is expanded this year to include two full days of career workshops (negotiation, leadership, etc.), technical workshops, and a career fair. The organizers, which include ChickTech and Women Who Code, still are accepting proposals to lead or participate in breakout sessions, or otherwise register to attend this great women in tech networking event.
The "MacGyver" Challenge -- (That was a Television Show in the ‘80s, early ‘90s)
Here is a contest that sounds fun: Can you think of an entertaining TV idea that would highlight women engineers? Can you imagine that next female hero that will inspire a generation of young women to see themselves as engineers? Then enter this competition with your idea for female engineers or female protagonists who will use their powers of engineering to solve problems, much like MacGyver did each week for seven years of hit television. Five winners will be selected from the final judging round. Each winner will receive a $5,000 award and be paired with two mentors: an experienced Hollywood producer and a distinguished engineer (specific to the topic area of submission) to pursue their idea further. The competition partners include the U.S. National Academy of Engineering, the USC Viterbi School of Engineering, and Lee Zlotoff, writer, producer and director of film and television who created the MacGyver TV series. Deadline is April 17.
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Mon, March 16
MIME Graduate Defense: "Template-Based Control of the Bipedal Robot ATRIAS," by Andrew Peekema, candidate for Masters of Science in Robotics, 2 pm, Rogers 226.
Tues, March 24
MIME Graduate Defense: "Design and Testing of an Integrated Wildlife-Wind Turbine Interactions Detection System," by Jeremy Flowers, candidate for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, 8:30 AM, Rogers 226.
MPRL Opening Hours – Finals Week Winter Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for the week ending March 14 is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8 am -5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am -5 pm | Wednesday – 8 am -5 pm | Thursday – 8 am -5 pm | Friday – 8 am -5 pm | Saturday – closed
One-Stop Shopping for Graduation Needs – OSU Grad Fair
The OSU Grad Fair will take place April 20 and 21 from 10 am to 4 pm at the OSU Beaver Store. Graduates can choose, size and order everything at the Grad Fair, including regalia, announcements, and class rings. The registrar’s office, alumni association, and Honors College will be on site as well to assist graduates with questions regarding graduation. Students with questions about regalia, should contact the OSU Beaver Store. If you have questions about Oregon State graduation announcements or OSU official rings, contact Jostens at 1-800-854-7464 or online.
Scholarships and Fellowships
REU at the University of Maine and University of Concepcion, Chile
The Forest Bioproducts Research Institute offers an opportunity for 10 highly qualified undergraduate students to participate in research for a 10-week period, beginning June 1. Current undergraduate sophomores or juniors should consider the program if studying: Forest Operations, Resource Economics, Bioproducts, Bioenergy, Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Material Science, or Nanotechnology. The application deadline is March 31.
Job and Internship Opportunities
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Entry Level Engineer/Estimator Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 3334 Job ad expires on: 3/17/2015
- Georgia-Pacific LLC seeks an Entry Level Engineer Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 4703 Job ad expires on: 3/18/2015
- Georgia-Pacific LLC seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-Op Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 4704 Job ad expires on: 3/18/2015
- Oracle Corporation seeks an ORACLE- Inventory Services and Control - Business Analyst Location: Portland, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4216 Job ad expires on: 3/20/2015
- Oracle Corporation seeks an Operations Mechanical Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4722 Job ad expires on: 3/20/2015
- Hampton Affiliates seeks a Mechanical/Electrical Engineering Internship Location: Willamina, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 4288 Job ad expires on: 3/22/2015
- SWCA Environmental Consultants seeks a Project Coordinator - Portland, OR (20150017) Location: Portland OR Beaver Careers ID: 4581 Job ad expires on: 3/22/2015
- Interfor Corporation seeks a Safety, Quality & Production Technicians - Internship Location: Molalla (Oregon), Swainsboro (Georgia), Baxley (Georgia), Preston (Georgia) Beaver Careers ID: 4327 Job ad expires on: 3/24/2015
- Interfor Corporation seeks a Continuous Improvement Technicians Location: Molalla (Oregon), Swainsboro (Georgia), Baxley (Georgia), Preston (Georgia) Beaver Careers ID: 4321 Job ad expires on: 3/24/2015
- SunWize Power & Battery, LLC seeks a Power System Engineer Intern Location: Philomath, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4348 Job ad expires on: 3/24/2015
- Columbia Steel Casting Co., Inc. seeks a Facilities Engineering Intern Location: North Portland Beaver Careers ID: 4863 Job ad expires on: 3/27/2015
- Glosten seeks a Summer Engineering Internship Location: Seattle Beaver Careers ID: 4389 Job ad expires on: 3/28/2015
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Beaver Careers ID: 2790 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Beaver Careers ID: 2793 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. seeks a Field Industrial Engineer (Full-time) Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 4037 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. seeks a Field Industrial Engineer (Intern) Location: Nationwide Beaver Careers ID: 4038 Job ad expires on: 3/31/2015
- Amorphyx seeks a Process Engineer Location: Corvallis OR Beaver Careers ID: 5055 Job ad expires on: 4/1/2015
- ENERGY NORTHWEST seeks an Intern-Design Engineering (5515) Location: Richland, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4526 Job ad expires on: 4/4/2015
- ENERGY NORTHWEST seeks an Intern-Plant Support Engineering (5513) Location: Richland, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4528 Job ad expires on: 4/4/2015
- Zephyr seeks a Technical Support Engineer Location: Newark Beaver Careers ID: 4531 Job ad expires on: 4/4/2015
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Beaver Careers ID: 4552 Job ad expires on: 4/5/2015
- Sandy Farms seeks a Processing Plant Supervisor Location: Boring, Oregon Beaver Careers ID: 4693 Job ad expires on: 4/12/2015
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services (Unmanned Arial Systems) Intern 2015 Location: Fort Worth, TX Beaver Careers ID: 4702 Job ad expires on: 4/13/2015
- Cardinal Glass Industries seeks a Process Engineer Location: Winlock, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4751 Job ad expires on: 4/18/2015
- Trinity Consultants, Inc. seeks an Environmental Engineer/Consultant Location: Seattle, WA Beaver Careers ID: 4776 Job ad expires on: 4/19/2015
- Thermogen Technologies, Inc. seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Beaver Careers ID: 4799 Job ad expires on: 4/20/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Signal or Structures) - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4328 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4329 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Transportation Manager - Operations Management Training Program Location: Various Beaver Careers ID: 4330 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Internship/Coop Location: Various Locations Beaver Careers ID: 4337 Job ad expires on: 4/22/2015
- Trillium Technical seeks an Entry-level, hands-on Mechanical Engineering opportunities in the automotive industry in southeastern Michigan Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan Beaver Careers ID: 1998 Job ad expires on: 4/24/2015
- Dawson Construction, Inc. seeks a Project Management Internship Location: Bellingham, WA Beaver Careers ID: 5024 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Intern, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Beaver Careers ID: 2792 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- ProIT Inc. seeks a BigData Analyst Location: Across US Beaver Careers ID: 4031 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
- Dassault Systemes seeks an Education Material Intern Location: Seattle Wa Beaver Careers ID: 4738 Job ad expires on: 4/30/2015
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The Idaho National Laboratory has several new Postdoctoral Research opportunities:
Posting 8743: Systems Dynamic Modeler Postdoctoral Research Associate, apply by March 23.
Posting 8722: Thermal Transport of Nuclear Materials Postdoctoral Research Associate, apply by April 13.
- NEW -- The College of Engineering at Northeastern University seeks a non-tenure track Assistant Academic Specialist for its expanding Professional Master of Science Programs. Review of applications will begin immediately and will proceed until the position is filled.
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Naval Postgraduate School has a position open for a tenure-track faculty in Autonomous Systems with an emphasis on Underwater Vehicles. Candidates should immediately send an application letter, along with curriculum vitae and names of three references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: Garth Hobson | Professor and Chairman | Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering | 700 Dyer Road, Watkins Hall, Room 338 | Naval Postgraduate School | Monterey, CA 93943-5100 USA. Position will remain open until filled.
- The Department of Engineering at Trinity College invites applications for a full-time non-tenure track Lecturer/Lab Coordinator/Design Instructor position beginning in August 2015. Review of applications begins March 25.
- Columbia University, School of Engineering and Applied Science has four faculty openings (including three Endowed Chairs) in the Department of Earth and Environmental Engineering. Apply by March 27.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering and Energy Processes at Southern Illinois University Carbondale seeks applicants for a Tenure-Track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor starting August 16, 2015. The application deadline is April 1.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.