Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University
March 13, 2017
This Week's Features
OSU student partners with library to help make science fun for kids
The Corvallis-Benton County Public Library has launched a fun, educational video series called LIB LAB, encouraging kids to explore STEAM concepts and activities. The pilot episode stars A.J. Fillo, an Oregon State University Ph.D. candidate in mechanical engineering, with a lesson about rockets and propulsion.
Listen to the Engineering Out Loud podcast featuring MIME faculty
In the latest episode, assistant professor Nordica MacCarty talks about improving the lives of women and children in the developing world through cleaner-burning cook stove technology. Then follow an unlikely journey taken by assistant professor Chinweike Eseonu, three women from the tiny town of Monroe, Oregon, Spanish instructor Loren Chavarria, and three determined engineering students, all made possible by some tasty Mexican food.
Mark Your Calendar
Corvallis Science Pub: Soft robots
Inspired by animals that slither, swim and crawl, engineers are designing new robotic systems as soft as skin and muscle. Yiğit Mengüc, assistant professor in the Oregon State University College of Engineering, will show how he uses 3D printing, biodegradable rubber and other materials to produce robots with the agility of geckos and the flexibility of snakes. Learn more.
Monday, March 13 | 6 p.m. | Old World Deli, 341 S.W. 2nd St., Corvallis
SME Breakfast Food Movie Night
Are you stressed from the end-of-the-term rush of assignments and group work? Do you need to take an hour or two to just relax and do nothing? Do you like breakfast food and movies? If so, come to breakfast food movie night, hosted by SME! The event is open to all OSU students. We will be watching Finding Dory and there will be delicious breakfast food including muffins, cereal, and juice. If you have any questions please contact Ben Tankus, SME Chair.
Thursday, March 16 | 5-7 p.m. | Rogers 226
SWE Evergreen Space Museum Tour
Enjoy learning about lunar rovers, global space programs, the Spruce Goose, and other aerospace topics during a guided tour of the Evergreen Air & Space Museums hosted by the museum’s Director of Education. This special VIP tour for SWE will include opportunities to sit in the cockpit of several aircraft, get up close and personal with the spy plane, hear about women in aviation, and other engineering-specific details. The museum is great for all ages so bring your friends and family and make a day of it! All are welcome.
Saturday, March 18 | 1 p.m. | Evergreen Air and Space Center, McMinnville
Beaver BarCamp 17
Share your passion, connect with others, and learn something new at Beaver BarCamp 17. This is an informal un-conference that has been hosted by the OSU Open Source Lab for over 10 years. Attendees can participate in sessions throughout the day or propose their own session on a project, hobby or research interest. Help us fill OSU’s Kelley Engineering Center with interesting ideas and skills.
Saturday, April 8, 2017 | 9 a.m.-6 p.m. | Kelley Engineering Center
Corvallis Maker Fair
OSU will host the fourth annual CO• Maker Fair, an event which honors craftsmanship and technology by bringing together makers to share their knowledge, skills, and resources the community. Exhibitors include HP and the HP Makerspace, the OSU DAMLab, ChickTech, DaVinci Days, Viking Mars Mission Makers, Gearbox, Corvallis Geek Olympics, and Pi Dads.
Saturday, April 15 | 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. | Memorial Union Ballroom and Student Experience Center Plaza
HWeekend is a free event sponsored by the College of Engineering, College of Business, and InnovationX. Students work together in teams to create a marketable project they can demonstrate and pitch to judges at the end of the weekend. Learn how to participate.
Robotics Faculty Candidate Lectures
- Monday, March 20, 2017 at 10 a.m. in Rogers 226
Materials Science Faculty Candidate: Dr. Solomon Boakye-Yiadom
New lab section opened for ME 499 – Aero Vehicle Design
The new lab will be T 1600-1750 and is currently restricted to students in the Aerospace Engineering minor. All lab sections wiil be open to non-Aero minor students during phase 2 registration. Phase 2 priority registration begins on March 16th. This course has a ME 411 prerequisite which will be strictly enforced.
Complete a business minor in the summer
Stand out among your peers by adding a minor in business to your resume. Oregon State now offers students the opportunity to complete a minor in business and entrepreneurship in just two short summers. This exclusive opportunity allows you to focus on your major course work during the academic year and on business courses during summer. Classes in the business and entrepreneurship minor are offered both on campus and online during summer term, providing you the opportunity to mix and match to best meet your needs. And summer business classes are either four or eight weeks in length, allowing you the chance to travel, work and play in the summer. Find out more information and talk to your academic advisor today to find out how you can earn a business and entrepreneurship minor during summer term.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
INCLUSION (Incubating a New Community of Leaders Using Software, Inclusion, Innovation, Interdisciplinary and OpeN-Science) - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
In INCLUSION, pairs of students will work on socially-impactful research centered around open source software, guided by pairs of mentors. The nation’s premier academic supercomputing center, NCSA, located on the campus of one of the nation’s top public land-grant universities, the University of Illinois, wants you, the nation’s future scientist and collaborator, to work with our experts in software development and deployment for 10 weeks to help you learn about software as a part of research! Application deadline: March 13.
Entrepreneurial Research Experience for Undergraduates
Have you ever considered starting your own business, seeking a patent for one of your ideas, or are interested in cutting edge research and translating those ideas to the marketplace? If so, UConn’s Entrepreneurial REU is for you! The aim of this E-REU is to provide students with a truly integrated research and entrepreneurship training experience, giving them both depth in fundamental engineering research, as well as breadth in entrepreneurial skills. As part of this REU, you will take part in cutting edge research on commercializable ideas with UConn faculty, as well as participate in an entrepreneurship program developed by co-PI and UConn’s Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Dr. Hadi Bozorgmanesh. Application deadline: March 15, 2017.
Nano-Research Experience for Undergraduates
To realize the scientific advances promised by a new era of atomic-level control over materials and devices , expertise from interdisciplinary teams of scientists and engineers with diverse backgrounds will not only be required, but will remain a significant issue of national importance. This REU site will initiate a school of engineering-wide program at the University of Connecticut to engage talented minority and community college undergraduate participants in cutting edge experimental and computational nanotechnology research. This highly interdisciplinary research is centered at the University of Connecticut’s School of Engineering and Institute of Materials Science. Application deadline: March 15, 2017.
CCE Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
Undergraduate students can apply now for the CCE Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF). The program will award fellowships of $4,500 to support hands-on research in resilience, safety, and infrastructure renewal. Highlights include a project with faculty mentor, weekly seminars, and site-specific field work. Learn more and apply. Application deadline: Friday, March 17.
Milwaukee School of Engineering REU Site: Advances in Additive Manufacturing and BIO /Nano Applications
Funded by the National Science Foundation, MSOE’s Rapid Prototyping Consortium and the Center for Compact and Efficient Fluid Power, our REU program focuses on understanding and utilizing additive manufacturing and fluid power technology that cuts across many disciplines while developing skills in research methodology and communication. As part of MSOE’s REU program, you’ll research projects advancing state-of-the-art applications in the biomedical, aerospace, architectural, manufacturing, composite, biomolecular, electro-optical, and fluid power industries. Application deadline: March 17, 2017.
Hydro Research Foundation 2017 Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation makes one-year awards to students researching conventional or pumped storage hydropower through a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy program of the U.S. Department of Energy. Application deadline: March 15, 2017.
Job and Internship Opportunities
The OSU Energy Efficiency Center (EEC) is looking for motivated Energy Analyst students to work part-time during the school year (10-12 hrs/week) and full-time during the summer (30-40 hrs/week). Students should have a solid technical aptitude and a proven ability to apply themselves, learn new technologies, work independently, and complete assignments in a timely manner. This position offers the successful applicant a great opportunity for quality experience and professional development. Learn more and apply.
The CIRE and Propulsion Laboratories are looking for an undergraduate student to work hourly on forest fire research who has a current red card. Interested students should send their resume to Dr. Blunck at David.Blunck@oregonstate.edu.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education has Research Experiences/Internships Location: various Job ad expires on: 3/16/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 11254
- Target Corporation seeks an Operations Intern Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 3/17/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16253
- SIEMENS CORPORATION seeks a Technical Sales Development Program Intern Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 3/18/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16267
- Precision Castparts Corp. has an Operations Management Development Program Location: various Job ad expires on: 3/19/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16308
- Precision Castparts Corp. has a Co-op and Internship Program Location: various Job ad expires on: 3/19/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16310
- Idaho National Laboratory has a University/College Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/25/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 15324
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 3/28/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16129
- Hewlett Packard seeks an Industrial Engineer Intern Location: Corvallis OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16489
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Product Development Engineer Location: Tillamook, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16571
- Texas Instruments seeks a Technical Sales & Product Marketing Engineer FT & Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16011
- Moss Adams seeks a Cost Segregation Summer Intern 2017 Location: Portland, OR and Irvine, CA Job ad expires on: 4/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16515
- Glumac seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Corvallis, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16508
- Paradigm Construction LLC seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu Job ad expires on: 4/14/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 10782
- E. & J. Gallo seeks an Operations Technical Safety Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16274
- E. & J. Gallo seeks an Engineering Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16340
- E. & J. Gallo seeks a Process Technology Engineering Intern Location: Modesto, CA Job ad expires on: 4/21/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16341
- Flonomix seeks a Trainee Location: Hillsboro, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/22/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 17027
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) Operations Management Training Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 4/27/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16161
- Sustainable Mechanical Systems seeks a Sales Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 5/1/2017 Beaver Careers ID: 16296
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.