MIME in the News | Mark Your Calendar | Announcements | Graduate Defenses | Jobs and Internships | Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- Engineering Out Loud
From the College of Engineering at Oregon State University, "Engineering Out Loud" is podcast telling the stories of how our research and innovation here are helping change the world out there. Listen and subscribe here.
Mark Your Calendar
- Spinning Into Butter
The OSU College of Engineering is sponsoring “Spinning Into Butter,” a play by Rebecca Gilman, produced by Bag&Baggage Productions, that explores the dangers of both racism and political correctness in America. Show times are 2 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 20, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 21, in room 200 at the Learning Innovation Center on OSU’s Corvallis campus. Tickets are free but required and can be obtained on a first-come, first-served basis at http://engineering.oregonstate.edu/community. Jan. 20 at 2 p.m. & 7:30 p.m. | Jan. 21 at 2 p.m. | Learning Innovation Center
- 2018 Graduate Research Showcase
The College of Engineering at Oregon State University is on the leading edge of new ideas, research, and innovation. The 2018 Graduate Research Showcase is a display of engineering research designed to promote the work of our graduate students, and how they are advancing the frontiers of engineering knowledge. Our graduate students will share their work through poster presentations with industry partners, alumni, the media, prospective students, faculty, their peers, and other academic institutions. Feb. 8 | 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- The Society of Manufacturing Engineering Education Foundation (SMEEF) Scholarship application is now open here: www.smeef.org/scholarships. You do not have to be an SME member to apply; anyone with a STEM major is welcome! The deadline to apply is February 1, 2018. There are 2 scholarship applications through SMEEF which are specifically for SME Student Chapter Members:
1. Future Leaders of Manufacturing Scholarship (Info)
2. Joseph P. Novek Outstanding Student Leader Award (info)
Any STEM majors can easily become a member! Contact us for more information, and for information about the faculty advisor reference at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity: Measuring the Sustainability Performance of Hybrid Manufacturing Processes
Assist in designing and conducting experiments using a variety of additive, subtractive, and lab-scale hybrid manufacturing process equipment. Measure and analyze surface roughness, build time, and energy use. Evaluate the effect of various process parameters on functional and sustainability performance measures. Interested students should contact Dr. Karl Haapala.
- Interested in getting involved in research? Join this listserv: http://lists.oregonstate.edu/mailman/listinfo/ursa for sharing opportunities about engaging in undergraduate research or creative work, presenting your work at symposia and conferences, and other related updates. URSA is OSU's unit devoted to helping students engage in Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, & the Arts. Also, please visit URSA's updated website.
- Applications are now being accepted for the 2018-19 Difference, Power, and Discrimination (DPD) Academy, which will begin on June 18, 2018. For more information, and to apply, use the following link: Difference, Power, and Discrimination Academy.
- College of Engineering Students - the online College of Engineering Scholarship Application is open until February 15 at http://oregonstate.edu/scholarships/app/. Your application will be reviewed by both the College and your specific program to see if you are eligible for scholarship funds within the College for 2018-2019 academic year. Note: You must complete the application during this time frame. We do not accept applications at any other time. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Student Services by email: email@example.com.
- Fundamentals of Engineering Exam Review Course Open for Registration: The Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers (IISE) club at Oregon State University is hosting the annual FE Review Course during Winter Term 2018 (click here for dates and more information). This course is specifically designed to assist OSU engineering students who are studying for the FE Exam. The following subjects are covered: Mathematics, Probability and Statistics, Engineering Economics, Electrical Fundamentals, Statics, Dynamics, Strength of Materials, Materials Science, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, and Heat Transfer. Registration includes access to digital recordings of each lecture and notes on Canvas through Sept. 1, 2018. The cost of the course is $125. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Job and Internship Opportunities
- Insitu seeks an entry-level mechanical engineer at their Hood River, OR facility. More information at https://www.smartrecruiters.com/Insitu1/743999663414181-mechanical-engineer-entry.
*Communication skills in that dealing with vendors is a daily occurance.
*Ability to run SolidWorks
*Attention to detail
*ASME Y14 standard drafting skills
*Matlab/Excel skills to run through vibration data.
*The ability to maintain product secrecy in that a lot of government contracts are awarded.
- Emerging Leaders Internship (ELI) Program’s 2018 Application is now open! Application for internships in Portland, open through Jan. 31. ELI is looking for students of color who are underrepresented in higher ed and in the professional ranks of Portland business. Their top priority is to open doors to important internship opportunities to provide access to great careers and support for professional development. More information at http://emergingleadersinternship.org/internship.
- The U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory's (AFRL) is currently accepting applications for its 2018 AFRL Repperger Research Internship Program. This civilian research opportunity is a 10-week summer program intended for MS/PhD candidates pursuing degrees in STEM. Each year the laboratory will appointment a couple exceptional undergraduate students into the program. There are 36 posted opportunities, once the application January 21, 2018 deadline passes, each application will be reviewed and AFRL will fund 15 participants for the summer period. More information.
- Summer 2018 Undergrad/Grad Internships at Space Vehicles Directorate: https://afrlscholars.usra.edu/opportunities/researchTopics/index.cfm. Deadline for applications is Jan. 16, 2018.
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) National Internship Program: The HACU National Internship Program (HNIP) has been a premier student program for 25 years promoting diversity in the federal and corporate workforce. We seek the best and brightest from across disciplines to fill hundreds of internship opportunities per year. Gain work experience, acquire new skills, and grow your professional network! Federal and corporate internships are available in the nation's capital and across the U.S. Be part of the more than 12,000 former interns who have taken on the challenge and used their internships to launch their professional careers. https://oregonstate.joinhandshake.com/jobs/1066842/share_preview
For more job listings, sign up for Handshake at http://career.oregonstate.edu/handshake.
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The School of Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University will conduct searches for three outstanding tenured/tenure-track hires. These will be in the areas of Advanced Manufacturing, Design, and Robotics with position start dates in Fall 2018. More information can be found here.
- Mechanical Engineering - Full Time Faculty Vaughn College of Aeronautics and Technology, Flushing, NY
- Assistant Professor - Mechanical Engineering - Computional/ Fluids, California State University, Northridge
- Assistant/Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering, St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.