Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
January 5, 2016
This Week's Features
Humanitarian Engineering Receives Formal Approval; Ready for Enrollment
We are very excited to open enrollment for our newly approved undergraduate humanitarian engineering minor. With the approval of the minor, course offerings in Humanitarian Engineering, Science and Technology will expand with several new courses such as “Engineering for Global Health Solutions,” “Household Energy in Guatemala,” and “Multidisciplinary Approaches to Case Studies” coming up in spring and summer 2016. Please see the HEST Undergraduate Program page for up-to-date information on the requirements for the minor, upcoming course offerings, and how to enroll.
FE Review Course Open for Registration
The IIE-group sponsored FE Review course provides students with a review of the basic engineering principles that are covered on the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam. Each review session will be recorded and made available on Canvas. In addition, we support engineering students at OSU-Cascades in Bend by broadcasting the review sessions live. Registration is open until Jan. 15.
Graduate Students -- Submit Your Research Abstract by Jan. 6
The College of Engineering's second annual Graduate Student Research Expo is an event that offers graduate students the opportunity to present their research to a professional engineering audience. Please register and submit your abstract online for consideration no later than January 6, 2016. We will contact you after January 25 to inform you if you have been accepted as a presenter. A total of 51 graduate students from the School of MIME will be selected to represent our school and participate in this expo.
Mark Your Calendar
MIME Alum to Give Special Seminar This Week
Dr. Justin R. Finn is a post-doctoral research associate at the University of Liverpool’s Center for Engineering Sustainability -- and alumnus of School of MIME -- will give a special Thermal-Fluid Sciences seminar this week. The topic, "Particle Based Modeling and Simulation of Natural Sand Dynamics in the Bottom Boundary Layer," covers a new, high resolution numerical simulation tool that has been developed to perform studies on the transport of sediment particles due to turbulent wave, current, and tidal flows.
TFS Special Seminar | DATE: Wed., Jan. 6 | TIME: 11 am | PLACE Rogers 226
Boeing Insiders to Discuss Project Management
AIAA is pleased to host Boeing project managers and co-workers on a conversation regarding project management skills that are prominent in industry. Join AIAA and other MIME senior design teams as we learn about how to excel as leaders in the work force. Topics include effective communication, meeting deadlines, creating productive environment, and much more.
Industry Workshop with Boeing | DATE: Wed., Jan. 6 | TIME: 6:30 pm | PLACE: LPSC 125
Saturday Graduate School Info Session
Meet current graduate students and learn what they wish they knew when they were undergrads. Hear from industry representatives about career paths with (and without) a higher degree. Breakfast and lunch are provided. RSVP in advance.
Grad School Info Workshop | DATE: Sat., Jan 9 | TIME: 9 am to 1 pm | PLACE: Kearney Hall
COE and COB Sponsor Winter HWeekend
Is there a better way to celebrate the new winter term than participate in a 30-hour build session? You are all invited to apply for the Winter HWeekend event. This Jan. 16-17 event is sponsored by the College of Engineering and the College of Business and is an amazing chance for you and a group to create an awesome project. All majors and all skill levels are welcome to apply. This event gives participants access to amazing tools including 3D printers, laser cutters, electronics, tablets, computers, and many others. The event starts Saturday morning and continues through Sunday afternoon. Apply by Jan. 7.
School of EECS Plays with “Gamification Learning” in New Mastery Challenge Program
The School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Oregon State University is initiating a new extracurricular program to provide more hands-on learning opportunities for students. The Mastery Challenge program is based on a concept called gamification which uses elements of game playing, such as leader boards and badges, to motivate participants to gain new abilities such as 3D modeling and Python programming. Learn more at the EECS site.
New GTA Room for Winter Term
New for winter 2016 -- Covell 239 is now available to MIME GTAs to hold office hours. This room has several whiteboards, tables, and chairs, and we will be adding more resources as the term progresses. In the past, some GTAs may have used Dearborn 213 to conduct office hours. Please be aware that Dearborn 213 will be no longer be available for GTAs to hold office hours.
MPRL Opening Hours – Winter Term, Week 1
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 4-5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Scholarships and Fellowships
Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program
Penn State’s Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering is accepting applications for an outstanding undergraduate summer research program in the nuclear field at Penn State—the Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program. The program is a 10-week paid summer program that provides an opportunity for undergraduates to obtain hands-on research experience and professional development. Students will work closely with a faculty mentor on a state-of-the-art nuclear research project, and will have terrific opportunities to network with industry representatives and participate in site visits to locations such as Three Mile Island. Apply by Jan. 31.
OSU College of Engineering Scholarship: Apply by Feb. 15
The online application for the College of Engineering Scholarship is available until February 15. Your application will be reviewed by both the College and your specific program to see if you are eligible for scholarship funds within the College for 2016-2017 academic year. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Student Services by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 541-737-5236.
The Gates Millennium Scholars Program
The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program, funded by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, was established in 1999 to provide outstanding African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American, and Hispanic American students with an opportunity to complete an undergraduate college education in any discipline area of interest. Continuing Gates Millennium Scholars may request funding for a graduate degree program in one of the following discipline areas: computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health or science. Apply by Jan. 13, 2016.
AREVA Inc. Scholarship
The Eastern Washington Section of the Society of Women Engineers and AREVA Inc. offer a financial assistance scholarship of $1,000. This scholarship provides financial assistance to individuals admitted to accredited undergraduate or graduate programs, in preparation for careers in engineering in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho states. The application is due in late February 2016 and selection will be made in late March 2016.
Hydro Research Foundation Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation is leading the Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. The awards – which include a living stipend of up to $18,000 and a tuition-and-allowance of up to $10,000 – are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. In 2016, the Foundation anticipates making one-year awards to between 4-10 students. Applications are due March 14, 2016, for appointments beginning June 2016 for one-year funding.
Job and Internship Opportunities
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Translations.com seeks a Localization Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 1/9/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8963
- Rang Technologies Inc seeks a Data Scientist Location: Piscataway, NJ Job ad expires on: 1/10/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8991
- Washington State Department of Ecology seeks a Cleanup Project Manager (Environmental Engineer 2) Location: Union Gap, WA Job ad expires on: 1/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8524
- Hewlett Packard seeks a Mechanical Engineering Intern - Infrastructure Systems Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 1/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9059
- Timberline Product Design seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 1/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9080
- Hewlett Packard seeks a Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling Intern Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 1/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9094
- Washington State Department of Natural Resources seeks a Forest Engineering Intern Location: Multiple locations Washington State Job ad expires on: 1/17/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9394
- Art in Tanzania seeks an Environmental Sustainability Tanzania Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania Job ad expires on: 1/20/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9167
- DWFritz Automation seeks a Controls Software Engineer (New College Grad) - Robotics, C#, Machine Automation Location: Wilsonville, OR Job ad expires on: 1/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9179
- AAA Metal Fabrication seeks a Design/Mechanical Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 1/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8797
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks a Domestic Nuclear Detection Office (DNDO) Summer Internship Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 1/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9660
- Milone & MacBroom seeks a Water Resource Engineer Location: New Paltz, New York Job ad expires on: 1/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8953
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group seeks a Project Engineer - Entry Level Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 1/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9310
- GEOENGINEERS, INC. seeks an Environmental Intern Location: Multiple Locations Job ad expires on: 1/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9680
- Target Corporation seeks a Group Leader Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 1/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7118
- Target Corporation seeks a Distribution Operations Intern Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 1/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7119
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 1/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9332
- The Pennsylvania State University seeks a Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program Location: State College, PA Job ad expires on: 2/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8502
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Maxim Job Requisition# 565BR Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9428
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer. Maxim Job Requisition# 564BR Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9429
- Columbia Cascade Company seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 2/5/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9442
- Hewlett Packard seeks an Industrial Engineering Intern Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 2/9/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9510
- NAVAIR - Patuxent River seeks a Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) Aviation Cost Analyst Location: Pautxent River, MD Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9736
- Hampton Affiliates seeks an Electrical Engineer - Controls Location: Willamina, OR Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9755
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Electrical Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9761
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9762
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9763
- Montana Environmental Training Center seeks a Training and Development Specialist Location: Havre, MT Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9091
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks a Research Experiences/Internships Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States, Morgantown, West Virginia United States, Albany, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 5160
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory seeks a University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7962
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8675
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8676
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Supply Chain Management Rotational Program Location: Beaverton, OR; San Jose, CA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8679
- Xerox seeks a Process Engineer - Chemical (New College Hire) Location: Wilsonville, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9550
- Texas Instruments seeks a Manufacturing Supervisor Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9697
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Supplier Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 2/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8570
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- Auburn University has multiple, open area, tenure-track faculty positions in Aerospace Engineering (including an endowed professorship). Open until filled.
- NEW -- The A. Leon Linton Department of Mechanical Engineering at Lawrence Technological University (LTU) is seeking 3 tenure track faculty at the assistant Professor level (1 in Solid Mechanics, Dynamics, Vibrations, and Materials; 2 in the area of Robotics and/or Controls).
- NEW -- The University of West Florida is starting a new Mechanical Engineering program in the fall of 2016 and seeks three faculty members this spring. Instructor Position (Fort Walton Beach): https://jobs.uwf.edu/postings/3697. Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering - Thermal Systems (Pensacola): https://jobs.uwf.edu/postings/3688. Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering - Materials/Manufacturing/Design (Pensacola):https://jobs.uwf.edu/postings/3703.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering at the New Jersey Institute of Technology has tenure-track faculty openings in 1. Micro/Nano Mechanics, and 2. Computational Fluid Mechanics.
- Grand Valley State University (GVSU) - School of engineering - has an open position in Mechanical Engineering for an affiliate faculty. Open until filled.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Stevens Institute of Technology invites applications for open tenure-track and teaching-track faculty positions to start in fall 2016. Particular areas of focus for the tenure-track positions include 1) robotics and intelligent, autonomous systems; 2) the bio-mechanical interface and personalized healthcare; 3) advanced and additive manufacturing technologies; and 4) energy systems. Review of applications is ongoing.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical & Biomedical Engineering (MBE) at Boise State University invites applications for an open-rank tenure/tenure-track faculty position in the areas of Mechanical Design/Manufacturing; Systems Dynamics and Controls; Solid Mechanics. Apply by Jan. 11.
- NEW -- The University of Rhode Island Department of Mechanical, Industrial and Systems Engineering has an opening at the Assistant Professor level. Apply by Jan. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Lamar University is seeking applicants for multiple positions at the rank of Assistant Professor in all areas of Mechanical Engineering. Apply by Jan. 15.
- The Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana, invites applications for tenure-track faculty positions in aerospace and mechanical engineering. Applicants that complement existing strength in flow physics and control, computational science, robotics, and materials are especially encouraged to apply. The search is aimed at the assistant professor level, but exceptional candidates at all levels will be considered. Apply by Jan. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Michigan State University is seeking candidates for multiple tenure-stream faculty positions; areas are experimental thermo-fluids, advanced manufacturing and combustion for automotive and aerospace fields. Apply by Jan. 17.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of New Mexico invites applications for a full-time positions in the area of analysis, design, and optimization of energy systems and networks. Apply by Feb. 1. at unmjobs.unm.edu (0832874)
- Bucknell University is seeking to hire more than one visiting assistant professor for the 2016-17 academic year various areas such as thermo-fluids, dynamics, solid mechanics, CAD and solid modeling (SolidWorks-based), and/or mechanical design. Apply by Feb. 1.
- NEW -- Blekinge Institute of Technology seeks a senior lecturer at the Department of Strategic Sustainable Development in Karlskrona, Sweden. The position comprises research and pedagogical work within the field strategic sustainable development with a focus on sustainable product- and service innovation. Reference number: BTH 3.1.1-0375-2015 Apply by Feb. 15.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at George Mason University (GMU) seeks a Senior Administrator (associate chair) at the rank of Associate Professor or Full Professor. Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- UCLA, the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.