Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
January 5, 2015
This Week's Features
Submit this Week!! Graduate Students Engineering Expo, Call for Abstracts
The College of Engineering’s inaugural Engineering Research Expo, and all graduate students are invited to submit an abstract. The March 4, 2015, expo is designed to showcase how the COE engineering graduate students community is solving the world's greatest challenges. Grad students will share their work through poster presentations with industry partners, alumni, the media, prospective students, their peers, other academic institutions, and more. The public will have the opportunity to interact directly with individual students, ask questions, and exchange ideas. Please submit a 250-word abstract about your research project through the online submission form by Friday, Jan. 9!
Engineering Research Expo | March 4, 2015 – Oregon Convention Center | Abstract Deadline Jan 9.
The Global Watering Can
Engineers without Borders and Humanitarian Engineering will host a presentation and panel discussion, “The Global Watering Can: Redefining the Rights and Responsibilities of Resource Allocation” featuring Dr. Simba Tirima of University of Idaho, Oregon State professors and graduate students. This event is free and open to the public; refreshments will be served. Tickets for Saturday’s Jan. 10 Lela Fête concert (5:30 pm at the Whiteside Theater, 4th St. and Madison Ave. in downtown Corvallis) also will be sold at this seminar.
Global Watering Can seminar | DATE: Jan 9 | TIME: 12-2.30 pm | PLACE: MU Horizon Room (Room #49)
Lela Fête concert | DATE: Jan. 10 | TIME: 5.30 pm | PLACE: Whiteside Theater, Corvallis
Mark Your Calendar
SWE Winter Term Planning Meeting
SWE will have its first general meeting (with snacks) to discuss all winter term events. Directly after the general meeting there will be a dance/fundraising committee meeting and a K-12 outreach committee meeting.
SWE Meeting | DATE: Jan. 7 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: Bat 150
Materials Science Seminar on Alloy 690 and Other FCC Alloys
Dr. Michael Kaufman from the Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering at the Colorado School of Mines will present a seminar, "Origin of Diffuse Intensities in Selected Area Electron Diffraction Patterns from Alloy 690 and Other FCC Alloys," with the MIME Materials Science Program.
FCC Alloys | DATE: Jan 16 | TIME: 3 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
MPRL Opening Hours – Week 1 Winter Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The fall term schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for the week ending Jan. 10 is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8-10 am; 12-5 pm | Tuesday – 8-10 am; 12-4 pm; 6-9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am; 12-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am – 12 pm; 4-9 pm | Friday – 8- 10 am; 12-5 pm | Saturday – 9 am – 5 pm
Winter Term Graduation
Here is a reminder that the deadline to apply for Winter Term Graduation is January 16. Please apply online, http://oregonstate.edu/registrar/graduation. You may, at that time also indicate whether or not you plan to attend OSU’s Commencement Ceremony. Please remember to apply online if you wish to attend the MIME Commencement Ceremony -- whether you are graduating Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall 2015 – here: http://oregonstate.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6t9EM1WYZYxSGLb. Thanks, and congratulations!
Scholarships and Fellowships
Lehigh Graduate Studies in Bioengineering
Lehigh's graduate program in Bioengineering seeks students aiming to advance human healthcare through discovery and development of new technologies and affordable solutions. For prospective students applying for financial aid, the deadline for applications to the program is Jan. 15.
Materials Science Summer REU at Northwestern University
The Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) at Northwestern University offers a 9-week paid summer Research Experience for Undergraduates program. Research areas include ceramics, polymers, nanoparticles, photonics, molecular electronics and biomaterials. The NU-MRSEC stands out in offering students an interdisciplinary research experience. Apply by Feb. 15.
LSAMP Opportunity at Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt University will host 12 students for the next LSAMP Bridge to the Doctorate Program beginning in fall 2015 (pending NSF approval). Students will benefit from customized curriculum, research training, and one-on-one mentoring to prepare them for a successful transition to the PhD. More information is available on their website. Apply by Feb. 15.
LSAMP Opportunity at the University of Maryland
The University of Maryland College Park is accepting applications for Spring 2015 and Fall 2015 LSAMP Bridge to the Doctorate Graduate Fellowship Program. The program is designed to assist students in developing the skills and learning the strategies that will guarantee their success in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
National Research Council Research Associateship Programs
The National Research Council of the National Academies sponsors a number of awards for graduate, postdoctoral and senior researchers at participating federal laboratories and affiliated institutions. These awards include generous stipends ranging from $42,000 - $80,000 per year for recent Ph.D. recipients, and higher for additional experience. Graduate entry-level stipends begin at $30,000. These awards provide the opportunity for recipients to do independent research in some of the best-equipped and staffed laboratories in the U.S.
There are four annual review cycles:
· Review Cycle: February; Opens December 1; Closes February 1
· Review Cycle: May; Opens March 1; Closes May 1
· Review Cycle: August; Opens June 1; Closes August 1
· Review Cycle: November; Opens September 1; Closes November 1
LSAMP Summer Research Experience for Undergrads at Cornell
Cornell University's Diversity Programs in Engineering is a partner of the Upstate Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (ULSAMP) which formed to attract and maximize the potential of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) students from underrepresented populations, specifically African-American, Latino American and Native American. The application is due by Feb. 15, 2015.
Hydro Research Foundation 2015 Awards
The Hydro Research Foundation, under a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), anticipates making one-year awards to 10-15 students for its Hydro Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. Applications are due March 16, 2015, for appointments beginning June 2015 for one-year funding.
2015 Summer Internship Opportunity
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Environmental Health and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (NCEH/ATSDR) are offering a paid 10-week summer internship program for students who are passionate about the environment, interested in human health, and curious about how they are interlinked. Applications are due Jan. 28, 2015.
Job and Internship Opportunities
The Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) at the Pacific Northwest National Labs seeks undergrad and recent graduates to fill numerous internships. Selected students participate as interns appointed at one of 17 participating DOE laboratories/facilities. They perform research, under the guidance of laboratory staff scientists or engineers, on projects supporting the DOE mission. There is a separate pool of funding for LSAMP students. Apply by Jan. 9.
Argonne National Laboratory seeks STEM undergraduate students for the 2015 summer internship and part-time work experience programs. The lab has a number of programs accepting applications for summer opportunities. http://www.anl.gov/education/undergraduates. Deadlines for application range from Jan. 9 to March 1.
The HUB is hiring for 2-4 physics tutors for winter and spring term. Applications are due by 5 pm on Friday, Jan. 9. To apply, please submit the following materials to Nova Schauss (firstname.lastname@example.org): 1) Current resume, 2) Brief cover letter (no more than one page) including your response to the following questions: a) Why are you interested in being an academic tutor? b) What unique abilities and experiences could you bring to the academic tutor position? c) Specific subjects you are interested in tutoring (ex. PH 211/212/213, ENGR 112, etc.).
3) Copy of your unofficial OSU transcript. Applications and questions can be directed to: Nova Schauss | Batcheller Hall 151 | email@example.com | 541-737-2584
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Newly posted opportunities are listed first and then in order of closing date:
- FEI Company seeks an Operations Engineer/ EDM Designer Specialist Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: Jan. 12 (Beaver Careers ID: 3479)
- FEI Company seeks a Mechanical Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: Jan. 12 (Beaver Careers ID: 3480)
- Washington River Protection Solutions seeks a Safety Specialist Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: Jan. 19 (Beaver Careers ID: 3349)
- Washington River Protection Solutions seeks an Industrial Hygienist Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: Jan. 19 (Beaver Careers ID: 3351)
- Sage Ag Inc seeks an Experimental Technician Internship Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: (Beaver Careers ID: 3598)
- Sage Ag Inc seeks a Field Test Technician Location: Tulare, Cailf. Job ad expires on: Jan. 20 (Beaver Careers ID: 3594)
- Gunderson LLC seeks an Associate Design Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: Jan. 30 (Beaver Careers ID: 3567)
- Washington River Protection Solutions seeks a Project Controls Engineer Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: Feb. 2 (Beaver Careers ID: 3444)
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Thermal Fluids Research Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: Feb. 10 (Beaver Careers ID: 3809)
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Mechanical Design Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: Feb. 10 (Beaver Careers ID: 3810)
- Technical Systems, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer / Programmer Location: Lynnwood, Wash. Job ad expires on: Feb. 13 (Beaver Careers ID: 3851)
- NIKE, Inc. seeks a CNC Operator Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: Feb. 16 (Beaver Careers ID: 3884)
- Delta Construction Corporation seeks an Engineer I Location: Kapolei, Oahu, Hawaii Job ad expires on: Feb. 17 (Beaver Careers ID: 3924)
- The Brentwood Group, Inc. seeks a Mechanical Engineer -Semiconductor Location: Oregon Job ad expires on: Feb. 20 (Beaver Careers ID: 3946)
- Anjaneyap Global Inc seeks an Entry Level Business Analyst and Quality Analyst Location: Milpitas, Calif. Job ad expires on: Feb. 20 (Beaver Careers ID: 3949)
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a Process Tech Development Internship Program for Engineers 2015 (June-Dec) Location: Livingston, CA; Fresno, CA Job ad expires on: March 6. (Beaver Careers ID: 2618)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Engineering Intern, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31. (Beaver Careers ID: 2789)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31. (Beaver Careers ID: 2790)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31. (Beaver Careers ID: 2793)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at Rutgers is inviting applications for a tenure-track/tenured faculty position in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering. The online application portal can be reached at http://apply.interfolio.com/28057. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
- NEW -- The Georgia Institute of Technology Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering seeks an instructor for ME1770, Engineering Graphics and Visualization. The position is open until filled.
- The University of Mount Union seeks to fill a tenure-track faculty position that requires teaching senior design, manufacturing, and CAD courses. The position is open until filled.
- The Pennsylvania State University, Industrial Engineering Department has several openings including a Bello Chair in energy, and Frontier Faculty lines in a set of interdisciplinary areas. Varying deadlines for application.
- The University of Nevada, Reno, Mechanical Engineering Department is hiring six tenure-track positions. Five positions are at the Assistant Professor level in any area of Mechanical Engineering with particular emphasis on Advanced Manufacturing, Autonomous Systems, Thermal Science, and/or Computational Mechanics. One position, to be filled at the Assistant or Associate level, is open to applicants with appropriate qualifications in the area of Autonomous Systems. Deadline to apply is Jan. 12, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Memphis invites applications for the position of tenure track Assistant/Associate Professor. The department is especially interested in candidates with demonstrated expertise in the areas of (1) advanced manufacturing and materials, and (2) energy including generation, harvesting and storage. Application review begins Jan. 12, 2015.
- The University of Massachusetts Lowell, Plastics Engineering Department has two openings, with possible faculty ranks including Instructor, Assistant Professor, untenured Associate Professor, tenured Associate Professor, and Professor. Review of applications begins Jan. 15, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at University of Mississippi ("Ole Miss”) is seeking to fill a Tenure-Track Assistant Professor position in Computational Solid/Structural Mechanics. Apply by Jan 15, 2015.
- The Department Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, is seeking faculty candidates at all ranks and in all areas. Particular interests are in hiring at the Assistant Professor level in the three areas of (1) Dynamic Behavior of Materials and Structures, (2) Mechanics in Biology and Biological Systems, and (3) Dynamics, Controls, and Robotics. Apply by Jan. 16, 2015.
- The University of Hartford, in West Hartford, Connecticut, seeks a full-time, tenure-track faculty in Mechanical Engineering (Thermo/Fluids/Energy) at the Assistant Professor level. Apply by Jan 31, 2015.
- Northeastern University, Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering has three tenured/tenure-track positions open in the general areas of Advanced Manufacturing including Bio-inspired, Nano- and/or Additive Manufacturing. As well, the department has three non-tenure-track teaching positions in the general areas of mechanical and industrial engineering. Apply by Jan. 15, 2015.
- The Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is conducting three faculty searches (health-systems engineering, advanced manufacturing, and the living environments lab.) Application deadlines range from Dec. 1, 2014 through Jan. 15, 2015.
- The University of Central Florida, Department of Industrial and Management Systems seeks two new faculty members at the Assistant or Associate Faculty Position. Screening of applications begins Jan. 15, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) at The Louisiana State University (LSU) seeks to fill multiple tenure-track positions in Mechanical Engineering and a tenure-track position in Industrial Engineering in Information Technology - E-Commerce. Apply by Jan. 15, 2015.
- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at California State University, Long Beach, has four tenure-track faculty openings in Solid Mechanics and Materials; Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Design and Optimization; Dynamics, Control, Robotics and Automation; and Advanced Intelligent Materials. Apply by Jan. 16.
- The Department Mechanical Engineering in the Whiting School of Engineering at Johns Hopkins University is seeking faculty candidates at all ranks and in all areas. Particular interests are in hiring at the Assistant Professor level in the three areas of (1) Dynamic Behavior of Materials and Structures, (2) Mechanics in Biology and Biological Systems, and (3) Dynamics, Controls, and Robotics. Apply by Jan. 20, 2015.
- Ohio University – Russ College of Engineering and Technology seeks an assistant professor (tenure track) in Industrial and Systems Engineering. For full consideration, apply by Jan. 31, 2015.
- San Jose State University is looking to fill an open faculty position (Associate or Full Professor) in the Industrial and Systems Engineering Department in Human Factors or Engineering Management. For full consideration, apply by Jan 20, 2015.
- NEW -- The Pennsylvania State University College of Engineering invites nominations and applications for the Peter and Angela Dal Pezzo Department Chair and Head of the Harold and Inge Marcus Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering. An earned doctorate in Industrial Engineering or a related field is required. Nominations and applications will be considered until the position is filled. Apply online to job #55169 by Feb. 1.
- NEW -- Three faculty positions are available at the School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Oklahoma: one tenure-track, assistant professor in aerospace engineering, and two rank-renewable, assistant professor of engineering practice to teach a variety of aerospace and mechanical engineering courses. Apply by Feb. 2 for these positions.
- NEW -- The Department of Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Management at California State University, Northridge has a new tenure-track position opening in Manufacturing Systems Engineering. Apply by Feb. 6.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Mississippi State University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in the area of computational modeling for integrated thermal, fluid, and structural processes. Apply online (PARF # 8600) by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at SUNY Korea (State University of New York in South Korea) invites applications for one tenure-track faculty position in the area of design and robotics. Apply by Feb. 28, 2015.
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.