Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
January 25, 2016
This Week's Features
We Need Your Help -- Vote for Robotics Lab's Project
Dr. Bill Smart and some of his researchers (William Curran, Benjamin Narin, Austin Nicolai, Nicholaus Perry) from the Personal Robotics Lab will travel to the United Arab Emirates in early February to compete for a $1-million "Robotics for Good" prize. Oregon State is one of twenty semi-finalist teams presenting in Dubai. PRL will demonstrate their self-driving wheelchair for people with severe motor disabilities. Part of the competition includes a social vote, so please visit their project page, and vote for them. Go Beavs!
Toyota + Net Impact Next Generation Mobility Challenge
The "Next Generation Mobility Challenge" comes to the University of Oregon on Sat., March 5. The challenge events are hosted at locations across the country to engage students in imagining and building the future of mobility. At the University of Oregon, students will ideate around how we can transform the transportation and mobility industry to become more socially and environmentally sustainable. Undergrad and grad-level students will work on interdisciplinary teams and immerse in a highly interactive design thinking process to come up with solutions to this challenge prompt. Teams will pitch their ideas to Toyota and mobility experts and receive feedback from them. The six-hour workshop is open to only 40 students. Apply by Feb. 22
Mark Your Calendar
Daimler to Give Talk about Truck Production
Daimler Industrial Engineering Manager Jeremy Tyger will speak to engineering students tomorrow, describing how engineering at Daimler worked with production to change the process and the culture of how trucks were built. He will show where and how the team changed production in order to build a better car.
Daimler Production Talk | DATE: Tues., Jan. 26 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: Kearney 112
Union Pacific Info Session
Union Pacific will host an informational session, Careers in Operation Management with Union Pacific, for students in engineering and STEM majors. Bring an up-to-date resume. Students of all levels are welcome; lunch is provided.
Union Pacific Info Session | DATE: Tues., Jan. 26 and Wed., Jan 27 | TIME: 12.30 - 1.30 pm | PLACE; 141 Bat
Humanitarian Engineering -- Learn All about HEST
Learn about newly launched Humanitarian Engineering minor (look for the "HEST" acronym for courses and details) at this informational session early next month. The HEST mission is to cultivate science and engineering-based solutions that provide access to basic human needs, enhance quality of life and advance the level of community resilience in the local and global community. The event will bring together faculty representatives from the different schools and colleges that contribute to this dynamic new multidisciplinary program. Food provided; questions answered.
HEST Info Night | Wed., Feb. 3 | TIME: 5 - 6.30 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
MPRL Opening Hours – Winter Term, Week 4
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 4 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
IIE Officer Elections
The 2016 IIE Officer Elections are Wed., Jan. 27 at 6:30 pm in Covell 221. All position are open for candidates except for Training and Education Chair. All positions are a one-year commitment, except for the TEC-Elect which is a two-year commitment.
Biomedical Engineering Society Officer Elections
The Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) Student Club will have a general meeting about officer elections and available positions on Wed., Jan. 27 at 6 pm in MU 222. All students are welcome and there will be pizza.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program
Penn State’s Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering is accepting applications for an outstanding undergraduate summer research program in the nuclear field at Penn State—the Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program. The program is a 10-week paid summer program that provides an opportunity for undergraduates to obtain hands-on research experience and professional development. Students will work closely with a faculty mentor on a state-of-the-art nuclear research project, and will have terrific opportunities to network with industry representatives and participate in site visits to locations such as Three Mile Island. Apply by Jan. 31.
Materials Science Research Experience for Undergraduates
The Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) at Northwestern University offers a 9-week paid summer Research Experience for Undergraduates program. The NU-MRSEC stands out in offering students an interdisciplinary research experience. This opportunity is open to all physics, chemistry, engineering and materials science students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Apply by Feb. 15.
Sustainable Manufacturing REU Opportunity
Wayne State University has a new NSF Research Experience for Undergrads Site Program -- the Summer Academy in Sustainable Manufacturing. The program will provide excellent opportunities to undergraduate students to conduct summer research in state-of-the-art manufacturing at Wayne State. Apply by Feb. 19.
OSU College of Engineering Scholarship: Apply by Feb. 15
The online application for the College of Engineering Scholarship is available until February 15. Your application will be reviewed by both the College and your specific program to see if you are eligible for scholarship funds within the College for 2016-2017 academic year. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Student Services by email: email@example.com or by phone 541-737-5236.
AREVA Inc. Scholarship
The Eastern Washington Section of the Society of Women Engineers and AREVA Inc. offer a financial assistance scholarship of $1,000. This scholarship provides financial assistance to individuals admitted to accredited undergraduate or graduate programs, in preparation for careers in engineering in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho states. The application is due in late February 2016 and selection will be made in late March 2016.
Hydro Research Foundation Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation is leading the Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. The awards – which include a living stipend of up to $18,000 and a tuition-and-allowance of up to $10,000 – are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. In 2016, the Foundation anticipates making one-year awards to between 4-10 students. Applications are due March 14, 2016, for appointments beginning June 2016 for one-year funding.
Job and Internship Opportunities
A-dec is looking for a Technician I to join the Materials Lab team. The materials lab team is a service organization that supports the engineering group, as well as many areas of our manufacturing plant. The technician (level I) will perform engineering laboratory and shop work requiring application of standard techniques and methods.
Pacific Gas & Electric Company at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant is currently filling both internship and permanent positions in multiple engineering disciples. Send resumes to Scott Johnson, S1Jf@pge.com, and Ken Bych, KHB1@pge.com.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- AAA Metal Fabrication seeks a Design/Mechanical Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 1/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8797
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks a Domestic Nuclear Detection Office (DNDO) Summer Internship Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 1/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9660
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group seeks a Project Engineer - Entry Level Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 1/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9310
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 1/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9332
- The Pennsylvania State University seeks a Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program Location: State College, PA Job ad expires on: 2/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8502
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Maxim Job Requisition# 565BR Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9428
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9429
- Columbia Cascade Company seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 2/5/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9442
- Hewlett Packard seeks an Industrial Engineering Intern Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 2/9/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9510
- Dexter System Inc seeks a Full Time Contract Position For JAVA/J2EE Developer Location: Garland,Texas Job ad expires on: 2/9/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9503
- Cowlitz PUD seeks an Operational Technology Internship Location: Longview, WA Job ad expires on: 2/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10104
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Associate Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6292
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Future Leader Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9937
- NAVAIR - Patuxent River seeks a Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) Aviation Cost Analyst Location: Pautxent River, MD Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9736
- Linn County General Services seeks an Interior Drafting Intern Location: Albany, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9742
- Hampton Affiliates seeks an Electrical Engineer - Controls Location: Willamina, OR Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9755
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Electrical Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9761
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9762
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9763
- Nan Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu, HI Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9782
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership seeks an Engineering Internship (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9863
- International Paper seeks a Manufacturing Management Associate Location: 18 locations across the U.S. Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10083
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services (Unmanned Arial Systems) Intern 2016 Location: Fort Worth, TX Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9839
- BNSF Railway seeks an Engineering Intern 2016 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9841
- BNSF Railway seeks a Mechanical (Engineering) Intern 2016 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9842
- Wabash National seeks a Continuous Improvement Coordinator Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9920
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks an Operations Management Development Program Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9968
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks a Co-op and Internship Program Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9971
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks a Research Experiences/Internships Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States, Morgantown, West Virginia United States, Albany, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 5160
- NVIDIA seeks a MECHANICAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10156
- NVIDIA seeks a THERMAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10157
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory seeks University Student Interns Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7962
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8675
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8676
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Supply Chain Management Rotational Program Location: Beaverton, OR; San Jose, CA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8679
- WaferTech seeks Engineering Interns Location: Camas, WA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9760
- Xerox seeks a Process Engineer - Chemical (New College Hire) Location: Wilsonville, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9550
- Texas Instruments seeks a Manufacturing Supervisor Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9697
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Mechanical Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9414
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) - Ope Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9416
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Electrical/Signal) – Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9411
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) – Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9412
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9413
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of New Mexico invites applications for a full-time positions in the area of analysis, design, and optimization of energy systems and networks. Apply by Feb. 1. at unmjobs.unm.edu (0832874)
- Bucknell University is seeking to hire more than one visiting assistant professor for the 2016-17 academic year various areas such as thermo-fluids, dynamics, solid mechanics, CAD and solid modeling (SolidWorks-based), and/or mechanical design. Apply by Feb. 1.
- Blekinge Institute of Technology seeks a senior lecturer at the Department of Strategic Sustainable Development in Karlskrona, Sweden. The position comprises research and pedagogical work within the field strategic sustainable development with a focus on sustainable product- and service innovation. Reference number: BTH 3.1.1-0375-2015. Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at George Mason University (GMU) seeks a Senior Administrator (associate chair) at the rank of Associate Professor or Full Professor. Apply by Feb. 15.
- NEW -- Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) has multiple faculty open positions in Design, Manufacturing, and Thermofluid Sciences. To apply, please submit a detailed curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching interests and philosophy, and a list of at least three references to Scupi_Faculty@scu.edu.cn. Apply by Feb. 27.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- UCLA, the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.