This Week's Features
Today – IIE and SME Meeting
The Institute of Industrial Engineers (IE) and the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) chapter groups will host an all-member meeting to discuss chapter agenda items including upcoming officer elections, a recap of fall events, IIE video contest, IIE Regional Conference in Cal Poly. Pizza will be served.
IIE and SME Member Meeting | Tues., Jan. 21, 6 pm | Rogers 226
Today – Register for the OWHE Conference
Registration for the 2014 Oregon Women in Higher Education closes today! The event is on January 24, 2014, here at Oregon State University.
New Year’s Resolution No. 427 – Upcoming Elections for IIE and SME Groups
Isn’t it time to get involved in a student club, and to get to know more students in your major? Becoming an officer for IIE or SME is one great way to do that, and the groups are planning joint officer elections on Tuesday, February 4th at 6 pm in ROG 226. There are more than 20 positions available. Visit the OSU IIE and SME websites for a listing of current officer positions.
Mark Your Calendar
MatSci Seminar Features Prof. Matt Graham
The Materials Science program will present a seminar on "Graphene Micro-Femto Energetics" on the optical and electronic properties of bulk carbon in nanoscale dimensions with Prof. Matt Graham, OSU Physics Department.
Graphene Micro-Femto Energetics | Thurs., Jan 23, 3 pm | Rogers 226
Johnson Controls Industry Presentation with IE Alum
SME has invited Jacob Fowler, a 2013 OSU IE graduate, for an industry presentation night open to all School of MIME students on Tuesday, January 28th at 6 pm in ROG 226. Jake is currently employed by Johnson Controls, Inc. Come and learn more about his position and opportunities for engineering students in the construction (specifically HVAC systems) industry. Free pizza and drinks will be provided.
Johnson Controls Industry Presentation | Tues., Jan. 28, 6 pm | Rogers 226
FIRST Robotics Members and Alumni! Get Involved…
FIRST Robotics is looking for currently active members and former members to become event organizers and mentors for middle- and high-school students. In conjunction with the Robotics Club, we want to invite FIRST Alumni (and friends!) who want to stay involved in FIRST activities. This group will promote mentorship on FRC and FLL teams in the area, organize FRC, FTC, and FLL events, and volunteer at events. (The OSU Robotics Club is hosting a FIRST Tech Challenge robotics competition on Sat., Feb. 8, for example) Contact Molly Stieber for details.
FIRST Robotics | Wed., Jan. 29, 6 pm | KEC 1007
Order Tickets to the Engineering Banquet!
Faculty and staff interested in attending the Willamette Valley Engineers Week Banquet sponsored by Willamette Valley Section of SWE (Society of Women Engineers) should purchase their tickets by Monday, Feb. 17. Bret Liebeno, Senior Director of IHM Engineering at Nike, will be the speaker Register online at https://sites.google.com/site/wvsorswe/activites-calendar/banquet. Tickets are $35.00 per person.
Willamette Valley Engineers Week Banquet | Wed., Feb. 26, 2014 | 6:00 pm | CH2M Hill Alumni Center
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer: This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
Engineers Without Borders – Kenya Project Deadline
The Kenya Project Travel Application is now available. Applications are due on February 2nd 2014 by the end of the day. You can find the application on the Kenya Project Page titled “Traveler Application 2014.”
AIAA Student Conference in Sacramento
The 2014 AIAA Region VI Student Conference Presentations will be March 1-2 at the California State University, Sacramento. Presentations will be delivered to peers, professors, local professionals, and a select panel of judges for the purpose of winning awards and cash prizes. Thomas Morgenfeld, X-35 Test Pilot, will be the distinguished lecturer. Students who wish to gain exposure and recognition for their research should contact Roberto Albertani, MIME faculty and AIAA student chapter advisor.
Forestry Course Opens for Spring Term
The College of Forestry has added an unrestricted, 3-credit Spring term section of FOR 111 Introduction to Forestry open to any students interested in the natural environment. The Fall term section of FOR 111 remains restricted to COF students.
Respond for Software Training Scheduling
Corwin Perren, electrical lead for the Mars Rover team, will be teaching a 45-90 minute class on how to use the circuit board fabrication software PADS by Mentor Graphics. The software suite is available for free to any OSU student with an engineering account. Perren has an online survey to assist with booking computing lab facilities for these classes.
Scholarships, Fellowships and Research Internships
Summer Marine Science Internships
Oregon State University is offering summer marine science internships to 20 college students through its Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program at the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport and College of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences in Corvallis. The 10-week program matches qualified students with faculty mentors representing a range of ocean science research interests. The Hatfield Marine Science Center (HMSC) is a 49-acre research and education campus on Oregon's central coast, with modern laboratory facilities, a world-class marine science library, and six state and federal agencies co-located on site.
What: 10-week summer program, June 16 - August 22, 2014 | Stipend $5650, onsite housing, round-trip travel costs
More Info: http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/REU/index.html
Deadline: Monday, February 3, 2014 by 5 PM PST
Wanted: The Best and Brightest in Hydropower
The Hydro Research Foundation's 2014 Research Awards Program fund up to 20 research awards. These project funding can be as high as $32,800 annually for a one- or two-year research project. The funds are open to graduate students who will complete their Masters degree or post-Masters research by May 2016.
Deadline: March 5
- The SME Education Foundation scholarship is now open for the 2014-2015 school year. The application is due by Feb. 1.
- Amgen Scholars US Program, for undergraduate research opportunities application deadline is Feb. 3
- The Dwight Look College of Engineering at Texas A&M University seeks applicants to the 2014 Undergraduate Summer Research Grant (USRG) Program. Additional information and the application can be found at http://easa.tamu.edu/usrg. Deadline: Feb. 10.
- The Environmental Health Research Experience Program (EHREP) is a funded, nine week, summer research program for undergraduates. The deadline is Feb. 14.
- The OSU Undergraduate scholarship application is open and ready for your application. Last year engineering students at OSU received approximately 10 million dollars in assistance. The deadline is Feb. 15.
- Undergraduate Research at the Nano-Bio Interface - University of Pennsylvania is designed to give undergraduate students the opportunity to work with nanoscale research scientists. Participants will receive a $5000 stipend. Applications are due Feb. 28.
- Buick Achievers of 2014 is now accepting applications for undergraduates who major in a field of study that focuses on engineering, technology, design or business, with an interest in the automotive industry. The deadline is Feb. 28, 5 pm.
Engineering Scholarship Resource
To search for potential engineering scholarship sources and browse through a host of information relevant to earning your engineering degree and professional license, visit EngineeringDegree.com.
OSU subscribes to Grant Forward, a software service useful for research grant seekers and graduate students. The service, which requires users to set up an account profile, retrieves new postings from numerous funding agencies on a daily basis, and then tags the posting with the appropriate category, deadline, sponsor type, status, submission type and keywords.
Job and Internship Opportunities
Boeing Summer Internships
Boeing is hiring for its ‘Summer 2014’ intern engineering positions within the Product Development (PD) area of Boeing Commercial Airplanes. These positions are mainly for the Advanced Manufacturing department within the Innovation Center and Technology organization of PD, but Boeing is also hiring for the Environmental organization of PD. The postings are open for one month and are located in Puget Sound, Washington. Links to the two postings:
14-1000602 – Geared for undergraduate students
14-1000607- Geared for those graduating in June 2014 and/or in graduate school
TE Medical in Wilsonville
TE Connectivity’s TE Medical has openings for several engineering position at its Wilsonville, Ore., facility. Interested applicants may also contact Keith K. Daellenbach, firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 503-673-5065 for information about the positions
- Cable Development Engineer
- Product Development Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineer
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Quality Engineers
START Leader and U-Engage Positions
New Student Programs & Family Outreach is now hiring 2014 START Leader and U-Engage Peer leader positions. Applications for both positions are due Feb. 4.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver JobNet postings. Newly posted opportunities are listed first and then in order of closing date:
- Carestream Health’s Dry Film Coating Group, in White City, Oregon has an opening for a systems technician to provide technical support for Process and Product Engineering groups. (Beaver JobNet ID 26170)
- Ford Motor Company is seeking applicants for Manufacturing Engineer - Assembly or Test at its Livonia, Michigan, location. The application deadline is Jan. 25. (Beaver JobNet ID 2580)
- Nosler, Inc. seeks applicants for a mechanical design engineer at their Bend, Oregon, location. Responsibilities include the design of products and systems including instruments, controls, automation, mechanical assemblies, machines, and mechanical/thermal/chemical/hydraulic/or heat transfer systems. The application deadline is Jan 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 25534)
- Oracle Corporation seeks a materials/backlog planner in the department of Manufacturing - Material Planning at its Hillsboro, Oregon, location. The application deadline is Jan 27. (Beaver JobNet ID 25713)
- Oracle Corporation seeks a supply chain analyst in the department of Manufacturing – Master scheduling and ASCP Planning at its Hillsboro, Oregon, location. (Beaver JobNet ID 25712)
- Dassault Systemes seeks applicants for its Knowledge Consultant Education program. The application deadline is Jan 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 26428)
- Lowe’s is seeking applications for nationwide openings as Field Industrial Engineers in its distribution center’s management team. The application deadline is Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26848)
- Advanced Mill Solutions seeks a process engineer (mechanical engineer) at its Eugene, Ore., location. Applications are accepted until Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26703
- Computer and Engineering Services, Inc., a technical recruiter for the automotive companies, is seeking candidates with engineering experience for its Rochester Hills, Mich., location. Applications are accepted until Feb 18. (Beaver Jobnet ID 26428)
- Advanced Mill Solutions seeks an entry level mechanical engineer for work in the building materials industry. Candidate will have a BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on electrical, fluid mechanics, heat transfer and thermodynamics. Application deadline is Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26703)
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group in Portland, Ore., seeks an entry-level project engineer. Responsibilities include project execution including line layout engineering, vendor/contractor management, equipment procurement, schedule management, project finances, site management and installation support. The application deadline is Mar. 15. (Beaver JobNet ID 26664)
- Maxim Integrated, a semiconductor manufacturer, seeks manufacturing and industrial engineering candidates for nationwide positions. The application deadline is May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25174)
- Safeway seeks applicants to its summer paid internship in manufacturing internship. Applications are accepted until May 31. (Beaver JobNet ID 25386)
- COE Undergraduate Programs is currently hiring two Study Abroad Student Coordinator positions to work out of the HUB, beginning this term.
- Bemis Company, Inc. seeks mechanical/manufacturing engineering interns for 6-month paid positions at their Bemis-Vancouver, WA manufacturing plant. The application deadline is Feb. 11. (Beaver JobNet ID 26567)
- The School of Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering has openings for five part-time research assistants. Applications are accepted until Feb. 28. (Beaver JobNet ID 26755)
- Near Space Corporation seeks a UAS flight test engineer at its Tillamook, Ore., location. Applications are accepted until March 26. (Beaver JobNet ID 25959)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions