Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
January 20, 2015
This Week's Features
Today: Semiconductor Development and Manufacturing
The second installment of the MIME speaker series will feature Dr. Pamela Fischer, from ASM International. Dr. Fischer will discuss the expertise across the spectrum of engineering and science discipline necessary for the development of the semiconductor manufacturing processes. In her talk, "Multi-discipline Engineering in Semiconductor Development and Manufacturing," Dr. Fischer will convey how these various disciplines interplay in the fabrication and development of leading edge processes and devices.
MIME Speaker Series | DATE: Jan. 20 | TIME: 6.30 PM | PLACE: Kelley 1001
“Robots in the Real World” REU Accepting Applicants
We are now soliciting applications for our 10-week summer Research Experiences for Undergraduates program "Robots in the Real World." The program will run from June 14 to August 22, 2015, on the main OSU campus in Corvallis. The program, funded by the National Science Foundation, offers research experiences in all aspects of robotics, for students with backgrounds in computer science, mechanical engineer, electrical engineering, mathematics, physics, social science, or any closely related fields. The specific projects for 2015 are listed on the project page. Please apply by Feb. 27.
AIAA Call for Abstracts
The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Region VI will hold this year’s Region VI Student Conference at the University of Nevada, Reno. Undergraduates and masters students are invited to submit and present a technical paper on their aerospace-related research. All participants will be entered to compete for cash prizes and the opportunity to present their research at the 2016 AIAA Sci-Tech Conference. Important dates are: 1) Abstract due Feb. 9, 2) Paper due March 4 and 3) Conference March 28-29 at University of Nevada, Reno. Students interested in the conference should contact Dr. Roberto Albertani.
Mark Your Calendar
Matlab Learning Sessions: Tuesdays in January
The Graduate Student Social Skills Society runs the second of a 3-part seminar series on learning Matlab. Matlab is a programming language developed by MathWorks which is most effective for operations with matrices and function plotting. Matlab often is used by engineers who have to analyze and manipulate data sets. Bring your laptop if you have MatLab on it. This seminar is marketed towards graduate students, but undergrads are welcome, too.
MatLab Training DATE: Jan. 20, 27 | TIME: 6-8 PM | PLACE: Dearborn 118
CBEE-EECS-MIME Industry Reception is Feb 18
The 2015 Industry Reception student recruiting event is Feb. 18. All students – both graduate and undergraduate are welcome to begin registration on Feb. 1. The event attracts companies interested in specialized recruiting ahead of the Oregon State Engineering Career Fair on Feb. 19. Start polishing those resumes!
If you want to include your event, please email the MIME E-Bulletin box with the details. Requests must be received by noon on Friday for inclusion in the following Monday's e-bulletin.
Disclaimer:This is a partial listing of upcoming School and College-related events – it is NOT a comprehensive listing of everything that is happening on campus.
MPRL Opening Hours – Week 3 Winter Term
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their website. The fall term schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for the week ending Jan. 24 is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 8-10 am; 12-5 pm | Tuesday – 8-10 am; 12-4 pm; 6-9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am; 12-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am – 12 pm; 4-9 pm | Friday – 8- 10 am; 12-5 pm | Saturday – 9 am – 5 pm
Study Down Under
The HUB will offer an informational session on study abroad opportunities in Australia for engineering students. At the meeting, you can learn about the different programs in Australia and how to achieve your study abroad goals. All engineering students are welcome to attend.
Study Abroad Australia | DATE: Jan 22 | TIME: 4 pm | PLACE: The HUB, Batcheller Hall
Scholarships and Fellowships
College of Engineering Scholarships
The College of Engineering scholarship application closes on February 15 at 11:59 pm. Scholarship eligibility varies from year to year. To be eligible you should be an engineering student during the 2015-2016 academic year (fall to spring). Applications can be found at: https://scholarship.ucsadm.oregonstate.edu/prod/app_login.php
Willamette MBA STEM Scholarship
The Willamette MBA STEM Scholarship program is a merit-based scholarship for eligible U.S. citizens or permanent residents who completed an undergraduate major in a STEM area (science technology, engineering and mathematics) in the United States. Applicants who meet the criteria and are selected for this scholarship will receive a scholarship ranging from $23,000 (62% of tuition) to approximately $37,000 (100% of tuition). Apply by February 15.
Nanoscale Science and Engineering REU
The Vanderbilt Institute for Nanoscale Science and Engineering (VINSE) REU focuses on interdisciplinary nanoscale research at the interface of biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering. More than 40 faculty participants from the School of Engineering, College of Arts and Science, and the School of Medicine inspire students by creating an atmosphere of excitement and creativity. Each REU participate will work directly with VINSE faculty members and their research groups and be part of the larger VINSE community. The program includes a stipend, room and board, and travel allowance. Apply by Feb. 15.
Materials Science Summer REU at Northwestern University
The Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) at Northwestern University offers a 9-week paid summer Research Experience for Undergraduates program. Research areas include ceramics, polymers, nanoparticles, photonics, molecular electronics and biomaterials. The NU-MRSEC stands out in offering students an interdisciplinary research experience. Apply by Feb. 15.
Hydropower Research Funding
The Hydro Research Foundation researches and develops sustaining hydropower improvements. They have published their 2015 topics of interest here. The awards – up to $30,000 -- are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. All applications for the Hydro Research Award Program must be submitted by March 16, with Research Award announcements April 15. Applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
HP-Sponsored Award for Women Accepting Applications
Applications for the NCWIT Collegiate Award are now open! Sponsored by Hewlett-Packard, the NCWIT Collegiate Award honors outstanding junior and senior undergraduate women for their computing and technical accomplishments. Awardees receive $7,500 in a cash award and will be flown to the NCWIT Summit in Hilton Head, South Carolina for the award ceremony! Applications close on Feb. 15.
National Research Council Research Associateship Programs
The National Research Council of the National Academies sponsors a number of awards for graduate, postdoctoral and senior researchers at participating federal laboratories and affiliated institutions. These awards include generous stipends ranging from $42,000 - $80,000 per year for recent Ph.D. recipients, and higher for additional experience. Graduate entry-level stipends begin at $30,000. These awards provide the opportunity for recipients to do independent research in some of the best-equipped and staffed laboratories in the U.S.
There are four annual review cycles:
· Review Cycle: February; Opens December 1; Closes February 1
Review Cycle: May; Opens March 1; Closes May 1
Review Cycle: August; Opens June 1; Closes August 1
Review Cycle: November; Opens September 1; Closes November 1
LSAMP Summer Research Experience for Undergrads at Cornell
Cornell University's Diversity Programs in Engineering is a partner of the Upstate Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (ULSAMP) which formed to attract and maximize the potential of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) students from underrepresented populations, specifically African-American, Latino American and Native American. The application is due by Feb. 15.
Hydro Research Foundation 2015 Awards
The Hydro Research Foundation, under a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), anticipates making one-year awards to 10-15 students for its Hydro Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. Applications are due March 16, for appointments beginning June 2015 for one-year funding.
Job and Internship Opportunities
HP’s MEMS wafer fab process engineering group in Corvallis has an opening for a part-time position targeted for a student. This position involves analysis of process data. The hours are flexible, once the student gets fully trained, and there is potential for conversion into a permanent engineering position once the student graduates. Visit www.hp.com/jobs and refer to job ID #1353594.
Georgia-Pacific has posted for internships at the Clatskanie, Oregon facility. Interested applicants should visit www.gpcampus.com and reference job number 032835.
The Missile Defense Agency (MDA) is hiring 65-70 entry level engineers and business majors. Employment start date is summer 2015. MDA will announce these positions for a 10-day period on USAJobs.gov beginning Feb. 15.
The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) is currently accepting applications for its Summer 2015 Student Engineer Program (SEP). Student engineers will be paired with LADWP engineers and work in technical teams within the Water, Power and Joint systems of the organization. The SEP eligibility requirements and employment application are available at https://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/faces/ladwp/aboutus/a-careers/a-c-internships. Apply by Feb. 13.
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Newly posted opportunities are listed first and then in order of closing date:
- Gunderson LLC seeks an Associate Design Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: Jan. 30 (Beaver Careers ID: 3567)
- GlaxoSmithKline seeks a Vaccines GIO Value Stream Location: Hamilton, MT Job ad expires on: Jan. 31 (Beaver Careers ID: 3888)
- Washington River Protection Solutions seeks a Project Controls Engineer Location: Richland, WA Job ad expires on: Feb. 2 (Beaver Careers ID: 3444)
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: Feb. 2 (Beaver Careers ID: 4001)
- Daimler Trucks North America seeks an Intern – Embedded Systems Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: Feb. 8 (Beaver Careers ID: 3797)
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Thermal Fluids Research Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: Feb. 10 (Beaver Careers ID: 3809)
- Mainstream Engineering seeks a Mechanical Design Engineer Location: Rockledge, FL Job ad expires on: Feb. 10 (Beaver Careers ID: 3810)
- Technical Systems, Inc. seeks a Project Engineer / Programmer Location: Lynnwood, Washington Job ad expires on: Feb. 13 (Beaver Careers ID: 3851)
- NIKE, Inc. seeks a CNC Operator Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: Feb. 16 (Beaver Careers ID: 3884)
- Mass. Electric Construction Co. Industrial seeks an Entry Level Engineer/Estimator Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Feb. 19 (Beaver Careers ID: 3334)
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Associate Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Feb. 19 (Beaver Careers ID: 3608)
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Future Leader Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: Feb. 19 (Beaver Careers ID: 4090)
- The Brentwood Group, Inc. seeks a Mechanical Engineer -Semiconductor Location: Oregon Job ad expires on: Feb. 20 (Beaver Careers ID: 3946)
- Glosten seeks a Staff Engineer - Marine Engineering Group Location: Seattle, Washington Job ad expires on: Feb. 25 (Beaver Careers ID: 3738)
- E. & J. Gallo - Modesto seeks a Process Tech Development Engineer Intern Location: Livingston, CA; Fresno, CA Job ad expires on: March 6 (Beaver Careers ID: 2618)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Engineering Intern, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31 (Beaver Careers ID: 2789)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31 (Beaver Careers ID: 2790)
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer, Semiconductor Industry Location: US Job ad expires on: March 31 (Beaver Careers ID: 2793)
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. seeks a Field Industrial Engineer (Full-time) Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: March 31 (Beaver Careers ID: 4037)
- Lowe's Companies, Inc. seeks a Field Industrial Engineer (Intern) Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: March 31 (Beaver Careers ID: 4038)
- Trillium Technical seeks an Entry-level, hands-on Mechanical Engineer in the automotive industry in southeastern Michigan Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan Job ad expires on: April 24 (Beaver Careers ID: 1998)
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Manufacturing Engineer Intern Location: US Job ad expires on: April 30 (Beaver Careers ID: 2792)
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The Department of Manufacturing Systems Engineering & Management at California State University, Northridge is currently seeking an Assistant Professor in the area of Engineering Management. Review of applications begins Jan. 23.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at Penn State Erie announces a mechanical engineering tenure track faculty position. Review of applications begins immediately, and will continue until filled.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at McMaster University seeks applicants for a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant or Associate Professor. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at California State University, Long Beach, invites applications for multiple full-time tenure-track faculty appointments to begin in August 2015. Review of applications begins Jan. 16; the positions are open until filled.
- NEW -- The University of Connecticut Mechanical Engineering Department has two faculty positions in the areas of advanced and digital manufacturing. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- The Mechanical Engineering Department at The University of Texas at San Antonio has multiple faculty positions open: 1.) a tenure-track assistant professor of mechatronics, and 2.) two tenured/tenure-track positions in oil & gas at associate/full professor, and the other position at the rank of Assistant Professor. Unlisted deadline.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at Rutgers is inviting applications for a tenure-track/tenured faculty position in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering. The online application portal can be reached at http://apply.interfolio.com/28057. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
- The Georgia Institute of Technology Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering seeks an instructor for ME1770, Engineering Graphics and Visualization. The position is open until filled.
- The Pennsylvania State University, Industrial Engineering Department has several openings including a Bello Chair in energy, and Frontier Faculty lines in a set of interdisciplinary areas. Varying deadlines for application.
- Ohio University – Russ College of Engineering and Technology seeks an assistant professor (tenure track) in Industrial and Systems Engineering. For full consideration, apply by Jan. 31.
- NEW -- Penn State College of Engineering invites nominations and applications for the Peter and Angela Dal Pezzo Department Chair and Head of the Harold and Inge Marcus Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering. job #55169 at http://www.psu.jobs; apply by Feb. 1.
- The Pennsylvania State University College of Engineering invites nominations and applications for the Peter and Angela Dal Pezzo Department Chair and Head of the Harold and Inge Marcus Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering. An earned doctorate in Industrial Engineering or a related field is required. Nominations and applications will be considered until the position is filled. Apply online to job #55169 by Feb. 1.
- Three faculty positions are available at the School of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Oklahoma: one tenure-track, assistant professor in aerospace engineering, and two rank-renewable, assistant professor of engineering practice to teach a variety of aerospace and mechanical engineering courses. Apply by Feb. 2 for these positions.
- The Department of Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Management at California State University, Northridge has a new tenure-track position opening in Manufacturing Systems Engineering. Apply by Feb. 6.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Mississippi State University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in the area of computational modeling for integrated thermal, fluid, and structural processes. Apply online (PARF # 8600) by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at SUNY Korea (State University of New York in South Korea) invites applications for one tenure-track faculty position in the area of design and robotics. Apply by Feb. 28.
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.