Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
January 11, 2016
This Week's Features
Today: AIAA Special Seminar on Space Solar Power Program
Join the AIAA student group for the special presentation from Dr. James Rogers and Dr. Cynthia Rogers discussing the Hughes Aircraft's Solaren Space Solar Power Program. The ongoing project aims to collect solar energy in outer space and connect it to the power grid back on earth. The project, based on optics and satellites, is led by Dr. Rogers. With more than 30 years of experience, Dr. Rogers and his wife, Dr. Cynthia Rogers, will be sharing with us the history and current state of space-based solar power.
Space Solar Power | DATE: Mon., Jan. 11 | TIME: 6:30 pm | PLACE: Linus Pauling 125
Today: ATLANTIS Drop-in Info Session
The Atlantis Dual-degree Bachelors Program will have an "open house" information session today until 4 pm in Dearborn 303. Through this program, mechanical engineering students travel to Germany for a year of engineering classes. At the end of this program, successful students will earn a BS in Mechanical Engineering from Oregon State and a BS in Materials Science from the University of the Saarland in Germany. More program information is available online.
Atlantis Info Session | DATE: Mon., Jan. 11 | TIME: until 4:00 pm | PLACE: Dearborn 303
Engineering Hall of Famer Lewis Danielson Visits Tuesday
OSU ASME chapter has invited Crimson Trace founder, Lewis Danielson, to speak about Crimson Trace products, challenges and manufacturing. He will also have an interactive discussion about life after college focusing on working with others, communication, continued education and more. Danielson earned his BSME in 1979 from the school and was inducted into the College of Engineering Hall of Fame in 2013. His company, formed in 1994, delivers more than 130 made-in-Oregon products to the military, law enforcement and other security industries worldwide.
Crimson Trace | DATE: Tues., Jan. 12 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: Rogers 230
Mark Your Calendar
Come Find Out about ASHRAE
Are you interested in sustainability or thermal/energy systems? ASHRAE is an international organization that seeks to improve sustainability of the built environment and provide endless opportunities for industry networking and personal growth. Come find out what Oregon State’s ASHRAE student branch is all about, and see how you can get involved. This is a fairly new campus group, and you have the opportunity to contribute at the ground level and make a lasting contribution. FREE PIZZA!!!
ASHRAE General Meeting | DATE: Thurs., Jan. 14 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: ROG 226
Humanitarian Engineering – Guatemala Study Abroad Opportunity
Students interested in the Spring/Summer term academic course “Household Energy in Guatemala: Technology, Environment, & Society,” should attend the Jan. 25 info session. The course consists of an on-campus preparatory class followed by a 3-credit, 10-day field trip from June 12-24. It will be led by Dr. Nordica A. MacCarty, Asst. Prof. of Mechanical Engineering, and Dr. Elizabeth Schroeder, Asst. Prof. of Economics.
HEST Guatemala Night | Mon., Jan. 25 | TIME: 6 - 7 pm | PLACE: Stag 111
Humanitarian Engineering -- Learn All About HEST
Learn about newly launched Humanitarian Engineering minor (look for the "HEST" acronym for courses and details) at this informational session early next month. The HEST mission is to cultivate science and engineering-based solutions that provide access to basic human needs, enhance quality of life and advance the level of community resilience in the local and global community. The event will bring together faculty representatives from the different schools and colleges that contribute to this dynamic new multidisciplinary program. Food provided; questions answered.
HEST Info Night | Wed., Feb. 3 | TIME: 5 - 6.30 pm | PLACE: Rogers 226
Shout Out for Volunteers for FIRST Robotics
The Oregon State University Robotics Club is hosting another TWO FIRST Tech Challenge Qualifying Tournaments: Sat., Jan. 30 and Sun., Jan. 31, in Kelley Engineering. FIRST Tech Challenge is a great program for middle-school and high-school students to provide them with hands-on experiences in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math prior to college. These amazing competitions need many (many) volunteers to be successful. The group asks for all sorts of volunteers including: information table attendants, robot inspectors, competition referees, and robot judges. No experience necessary, full-day and half-day roles available. If you have questions, email Tim Lykins (email@example.com). Apply by Feb. 27.
New GTA Room for Winter Term
New for winter 2016 -- Covell 239 is now available to MIME GTAs to hold office hours. This room has several whiteboards, tables, and chairs, and we will be adding more resources as the term progresses. In the past, some GTAs may have used Dearborn 213 to conduct office hours. Please be aware that Dearborn 213 will be no longer be available for GTAs to hold office hours.
MPRL Opening Hours – Winter Term, Week 2
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 4-5 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
Engineers Without Borders Invites Dr. MacCarty
Dr. Nordica MacCarty from the School of MIME will be speaking about rural energy system development at this week's Engineers Without Borders general meeting, on Thurs., Jan 14 at 6 pm in KEAR 305. Dr. MacCarty has extensive experience designing and working with energy systems for households in developing countries, particularly biomass cookstoves, and she has been recognized multiple times for her research and contributions to the field.
IEEE Intel Day is Wednesday, Jan. 20.
Intel Day (which is structured much like “office hours”) will take place in KEC 1005 and 1007 from 11-3 on Wednesday, Jan. 20 for a program in which students can meet Intel engineers, and ask questions about their experiences. They also have a technical talk from 5-7 in KEC 1001.
Scholarships and Fellowships
Schoenstein Sustaining Excellence Scholarship
The OSU Alumni Association and the Department of Student Leadership & Involvement - Center for Leadership Development are accepting nominations and applications for the Schoenstein Sustaining Excellence Scholarship. This fund provides scholarships for OSU students in their sophomore, junior, or senior year who are actively involved with activities beyond class work, demonstrating they are well-rounded, contributing members of the OSU community. The Schoenstein Sustaining Excellence Scholarship Fund will award four (4) students a onetime scholarship in the amount of $1,000. Application deadline: Jan. 25.
Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program
Penn State’s Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering is accepting applications for an outstanding undergraduate summer research program in the nuclear field at Penn State—the Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program. The program is a 10-week paid summer program that provides an opportunity for undergraduates to obtain hands-on research experience and professional development. Students will work closely with a faculty mentor on a state-of-the-art nuclear research project, and will have terrific opportunities to network with industry representatives and participate in site visits to locations such as Three Mile Island. Apply by Jan. 31.
OSU College of Engineering Scholarship: Apply by Feb. 15
The online application for the College of Engineering Scholarship is available until February 15. Your application will be reviewed by both the College and your specific program to see if you are eligible for scholarship funds within the College for 2016-2017 academic year. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Student Services by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 541-737-5236.
AREVA Inc. Scholarship
The Eastern Washington Section of the Society of Women Engineers and AREVA Inc. offer a financial assistance scholarship of $1,000. This scholarship provides financial assistance to individuals admitted to accredited undergraduate or graduate programs, in preparation for careers in engineering in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho states. The application is due in late February 2016 and selection will be made in late March 2016.
Hydro Research Foundation Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation is leading the Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. The awards – which include a living stipend of up to $18,000 and a tuition-and-allowance of up to $10,000 – are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. In 2016, the Foundation anticipates making one-year awards to between 4-10 students. Applications are due March 14, 2016, for appointments beginning June 2016 for one-year funding.
Job and Internship Opportunities
The Campus Visitor Center has opened applications to join the TOUR Ambassador team for the 2016-17 school year. Students can find the full position description and application at http://oregonstate.edu/visitosu/app or by clicking the ‘Become an OSU Tour Guide’ link on the navigation bar. Applications must be received by February 6, 2016.
McMinnville Economic Development Partnership (MEDP) offers the McMinnville WORKS Summer Internship Program. This award-winning program is a 9-week project-based, paid summer internship designed to connect the emerging workforce with career opportunities in the McMinnville, Oregon area. We have nearly 30 intern positions available at 14 host sites. Six of these positions are engineering specific. The application is now open and will close Feb. 24th, 2016. Applicants can apply on our website: http://mcminnvillebusiness.com/mcminnville-works
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings. Opportunities are listed in order of closing date:
- Landau Associates seeks an Entry-Level Environmental Engineer Location: Edmonds, WA Job ad expires on: 1/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9018
- Washington State Department of Ecology seeks a Cleanup Project Manager (Environmental Engineer 2) Location: Union Gap, WA Job ad expires on: 1/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8524
- Unum seeks a Sales Consultant Trainee Location: Portland/Seattle Job ad expires on: 1/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9023
- Hewlett Packard seeks a Mechanical Engineering Intern - Infrastructure Systems Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 1/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9059
- Timberline Product Design seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 1/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9080
- Hewlett Packard seeks a Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling Intern Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 1/16/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9094
- DWFritz Automation seeks a Controls Software Engineer (New College Grad) - Robotics, C#, Machine Automation Location: Wilsonville, OR Job ad expires on: 1/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9179
- AAA Metal Fabrication seeks a Design/Mechanical Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 1/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8797
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks a Domestic Nuclear Detection Office (DNDO) Summer Internship Program Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 1/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9660
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group seeks a Project Engineer - Entry Level Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 1/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9310
- Target Corporation seeks a Distribution Operations Intern Location: Albany, OR Job ad expires on: 1/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7119
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 1/30/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9332
- The Pennsylvania State University seeks a Toshiba-Westinghouse Undergraduate Fellows Program Location: State College, PA Job ad expires on: 2/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8502
- Oracle Corporation seeks a Supplier Engineer Location: Hillsboro, OR Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8570
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Maxim Job Requisition# 565BR Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9428
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer. Maxim Job Requisition# 564BR Location: Beaverton, Oregon Job ad expires on: 2/2/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9429
- Columbia Cascade Company seeks a Design Engineer Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 2/5/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9442
- Hewlett Packard seeks an Industrial Engineering Intern Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 2/9/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9510
- NAVAIR - Patuxent River seeks a Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) Aviation Cost Analyst Location: Pautxent River, MD Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9736
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9762
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9763
- Nan Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu, HI Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9782
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks a Research Experiences/Internships Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States, Morgantown, West Virginia United States, Albany, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 5160
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory seeks a University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7962
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8675
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8676
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Supply Chain Management Rotational Program Location: Beaverton, OR; San Jose, CA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8679
- Texas Instruments seeks a Manufacturing Supervisor Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9697
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Mechanical Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9414
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) - Ope Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9416
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9413
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department at the University at Buffalo - SUNY seeks applicants for two Teaching Professor positions. For posting number 1500856, the applicant should have experience in the use of MATLAB. Posting number 1600015 is a general appointment to teach a set of required undergraduate courses. Apply by Jan. 15.
- Auburn University has multiple, open area, tenure-track faculty positions in Aerospace Engineering (including an endowed professorship). Open until filled.
- The A. Leon Linton Department of Mechanical Engineering at Lawrence Technological University (LTU) is seeking 3 tenure track faculty at the assistant Professor level (1 in Solid Mechanics, Dynamics, Vibrations, and Materials; 2 in the area of Robotics and/or Controls).
- The University of West Florida is starting a new Mechanical Engineering program in the fall of 2016 and seeks three faculty members this spring. Instructor Position (Fort Walton Beach): https://jobs.uwf.edu/postings/3697. Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering - Thermal Systems (Pensacola): https://jobs.uwf.edu/postings/3688. Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering - Materials/Manufacturing/Design (Pensacola):https://jobs.uwf.edu/postings/3703.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Auburn University invites applications for multiple tenure-track faculty positions to begin in spring 2016 or fall 2016. Review of applications is ongoing.
- The Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering at the New Jersey Institute of Technology has tenure-track faculty openings in 1. Micro/Nano Mechanics, and 2. Computational Fluid Mechanics.
- The University of Rhode Island Department of Mechanical, Industrial and Systems Engineering has an opening at the Assistant Professor level. Apply by Jan. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Lamar University is seeking applicants for multiple positions at the rank of Assistant Professor in all areas of Mechanical Engineering. Apply by Jan. 15.
- The Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana, invites applications for tenure-track faculty positions in aerospace and mechanical engineering. Applicants that complement existing strength in flow physics and control, computational science, robotics, and materials are especially encouraged to apply. The search is aimed at the assistant professor level, but exceptional candidates at all levels will be considered. Apply by Jan. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville has two open faculty positions in the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. One position is in Mechatronics; the other is in Dynamics and Instrumentation. Apply by Jan. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Michigan State University is seeking candidates for multiple tenure-stream faculty positions; areas are experimental thermo-fluids, advanced manufacturing and combustion for automotive and aerospace fields. Apply by Jan. 17.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of New Mexico invites applications for a full-time positions in the area of analysis, design, and optimization of energy systems and networks. Apply by Feb. 1. at unmjobs.unm.edu (0832874)
- Bucknell University is seeking to hire more than one visiting assistant professor for the 2016-17 academic year various areas such as thermo-fluids, dynamics, solid mechanics, CAD and solid modeling (SolidWorks-based), and/or mechanical design. Apply by Feb. 1.
- Missouri University of Science and Technology seeks applicants for an open faculty position in the area of robotics and automation. Apply by Feb. 1.
- Blekinge Institute of Technology seeks a senior lecturer at the Department of Strategic Sustainable Development in Karlskrona, Sweden. The position comprises research and pedagogical work within the field strategic sustainable development with a focus on sustainable product- and service innovation. Reference number: BTH 3.1.1-0375-2015 Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at George Mason University (GMU) seeks a Senior Administrator (associate chair) at the rank of Associate Professor or Full Professor. Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at George Mason University (GMU) seeks to fill multiple tenure-track and tenured positions beginning the fall semester of 2016. Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- UCLA, the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Vanderbilt University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of nanomaterials, for solving critical energy issues. Apply by May 1.
Forward newsletter submissions to email@example.com by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.