Oregon State School of MIME E-Bulletin
Weekly Newsletter for the School of Mechanical, Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering
at Oregon State University
February 9, 2016
This Week's Features
ASHRAE -- Sustainability for the Built Environment -- Gets Official Recognition
Congratulations to the Oregon State ASHRAE club who were officially recognized as a new student chapter by the national organization at the ASHRAE Winter Meeting in Orlando this year. The organization is focused on technology for encouraging sustainability in the built environment including green buildings and HVAC. Be on the lookout for technical tours and speakers in the winter and spring term and a design competition opportunity in 2016-2017. The new group will be looking for its newest officers for the 2016-2017 academic year. For more information or to get involved contact current chapter president Taylor Morris (firstname.lastname@example.org) or faculty advisor Dr. Brian Fronk (Brian.Fronk@oregonstate.edu).
Today -- IIE Hosts Faculty-Student Soccer Game
With midterms underway, IIE offers a stress relief opportunity. Take a break and join the group at McAlexander Fieldhouse for a friendly soccer game with the students and faculty.
Student-Faculty Soccer Match | DATE: Tues., Feb. 9 | TIME: 6-9 pm | PLACE: McAlexander Fieldhouse
OSU College of Engineering Scholarship: Apply by Feb. 15
Don’t miss this deadline! The online application for the College of Engineering Scholarship is available until February 15. Your application will be reviewed by both the College and your specific program to see if you are eligible for scholarship funds within the College for 2016-2017 academic year. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Student Services by email: email@example.com or by phone 541-737-5236.
Jonathan Hurst to Speak at TEDx on Thursday
School of MIME's Jonathan Hurst is part of the speaking lineup at Oregon State's next TEDx event. The evening entitled "Ignite" will focus on revolutionary and influential ideas worth spreading. The panel includes Chris Barnes, Ph.D., associate professor of management, Foster School of Business, University of Washington; Habiba Addo, teacher and performer, Portland Public Schools; Kyle Hart, children’s book author and illustrator; and Chinyere Tutashinda, journalist and media activist. Tickets are $15 for students and $25 for non-students.
TEDx | DATE: Feb. 11 | TIME: 6-9 pm | PLACE: Austin Auditorium, LaSells Stewart Center
Mark Your Calendar
EWB Invites Dr. Stephen Good to Discuss International Engineering Experience
Engineers Without Borders is hosting Dr. Stephen Good from Biological & Ecological Engineering, College of Agricultural Sciences, to speak about his work at their general meeting. Dr. Good earned a B.S. in mechanical engineering before pursuing advanced degrees in civil and environmental engineering. He has worked with the Peace Corps as a water and sanitation engineer in the Dominican Republic, and has other experience working internationally, as well. Students from all majors are cordially invited!
EWB with Stephen Good | DATE: Thurs., Feb. 11 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: KEAR 305
Woodshop Safety Seminars Feb. 11 & 18
Two woodshop safety seminars are offered on Thursdays, this week and next through the MIME MPRL. The sessions last 1.5 hours, and attendees must bring their ME 250 name tag. Interested students should email Darin Kempton [ firstname.lastname@example.org ]to attend.
Woodshop Safety | DATE: Thurs., Feb. 11 & 18 | TIME: 12 pm | PLACE: Rogers 106
MIME Research Poster Session Social
All MIME students are invited to check out the current research projects of our graduate students, have a coffee and socialize with our graduate students, faculty and potential future graduate students at the MIME Graduate Research Poster Session. The event kicks off a day of activities for visiting students to our school.
MIME Poster Session Social | DATE: Fri., Feb. 19 | TIME: 8-10 am | MU Ballroom
Alum Guest Speaker Visits from ESCO
ESCO's Director of Engineering, Surface Mining Division Kevin S. Stangeland, P.E., returns to campus to speak about new product development processes at ESCO as well as review some of the engineering tools they leverage in development. Stangeland is an Oregon Stater, Council of Outstanding Early Career Engineers 2014 honoree, and a memeber of our school's industry advisory board.
ESCO Product Development | DATE: Tues., Feb. 23 | TIME: 6 pm | PLACE: KEAR 112
Get Prepped for the Winter Career Fair
The Winter Career Fair is fast approaching. In addition to several employer-sponsored information sessions, the Career Development Center is putting on numerous events to prepare students for this fantastic job-search opportunity:
New Mechanical Engineering Primary Option!
The mechanical engineering graduate program committee has approved Advanced Manufacturing as a primary option for mechanical engineering graduate students effective spring term 2016.
New Mechanical Engineering Secondary Option!!
The mechanical engineering graduate program committee and the graduate faculty of mechanical engineering has voted to approve Engineering Management as a secondary option for mechanical engineering graduate students effective spring term 2016. Students must choose a primary option in ME before being allowed to name Engineering Management as a secondary option.
MPRL Opening Hours – Winter Term, Week 6
Keep track of the Machining and Product Realization Lab operational hours at their web page. The schedule at the Machining and Product Realization Lab for this week is:
Sunday – closed | Monday – 4 - 9 pm | Tuesday – 8 am - 9 pm | Wednesday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | Thursday – 8 am - 9 pm | Friday – 8-10 am, 4-9 pm | | Saturday – 9 am - 9 pm
"Healthy Minds" Study, Watch for an Invite
The OSU Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is conducting a "Healthy Minds" Study -- a campus-wide research study about student health and well-being. A sample of OSU students will be emailed and invited to apply, and although voluntary, your participation is vital. The study starts Feb. 16, 2016, so please watch your email, and reply to this 20-minute web-based survey, if asked.
Scholarships, REUs and Fellowships
Additive Manufacturing at Missouri University of Science and Technology
Missouri University of Science and Technology will be hosting an REU Site in Additive Manufacturing this summer. They seek exceptional undergraduate students, particularly those underrepresented in engineering, to conduct research with us this summer.
Materials Science Research Experience for Undergraduates
The Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) at Northwestern University offers a 9-week paid summer Research Experience for Undergraduates program. The NU-MRSEC stands out in offering students an interdisciplinary research experience. This opportunity is open to all physics, chemistry, engineering and materials science students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Apply by Feb. 15.
Nanoscience and Nanoengineering REU at Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt University has an NSF-REU program in Nanoscience and Nanoengineering focused on interdisciplinary nanoscale research at the interface of biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering. More than 40 faculty participants from the School of Engineering, College of Arts and Science, and the School of Medicine participate to inspire students by creating an atmosphere of excitement and creativity. Each REU participate will work directly with VINSE faculty members and their research groups and be part of the larger VINSE community. Apply by Feb. 15.
Sustainable Manufacturing REU Opportunity
Wayne State University has a new NSF Research Experience for Undergrads Site Program -- the Summer Academy in Sustainable Manufacturing. The program will provide excellent opportunities to undergraduate students to conduct summer research in state-of-the-art manufacturing at Wayne State. Apply by Feb. 19.
Energy & Environment Scholarships at OSU and Across Country
Avangrid / Iberdrola USA Foundation offers the opportunity to do sustainable energy, environmental, cyber security and data science research at prestigious universities including Binghamton University, Oregon State University, the Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of Connecticut, the University of Maine, and the University of Rochester by offering $25,000 scholarships. The foundation also offers post-doc scholarships. Apply by Feb. 26.
Grad and Undergrad NSF Policy Research Opportunity
The Quality Education for Minorities (QEM) Network is offering a Science Policy-focused Summer Internship Program supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF). The ten-week, Washington, DC-based internship (May 31-Aug. 5) seeks competitive STEM undergraduate and graduate students interested in a STEM-policy and administrative related internship experience. Apply by Feb. 26.
Engineering Research Opportunity in Washington
The Washington University Summer Engineering Fellowship research program allows undergraduate students the choice to study any research topic within the School of Engineering & Applied Science at Washington University. The program provides a $5,000 stipend, travel costs to/from St. Louis, and on-campus housing. Apply by March 1.
AREVA Inc. Scholarship
The Eastern Washington Section of the Society of Women Engineers and AREVA Inc. offer a financial assistance scholarship of $1,000. This scholarship provides financial assistance to individuals admitted to accredited undergraduate or graduate programs, in preparation for careers in engineering in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho states. The application is due in late February 2016 and selection will be made in late March 2016.
Florida State Summer REU
The Florida State University Dept. of Mechanical Engineering seeks students to join their NSF-funded summer REU program entitled, "Multi-Physics of Active Systems and Structures." The REU program goal is to provide undergraduate students in mechanical engineering and related fields an opportunity to participate in ongoing active research programs, including the development of micro air vehicles, multi-modal robots, active flow control, aeroacoustics, sensors and actuators, smart materials, energy harvesting and storage, etc.. Appy by March 4.
Hydro Research Foundation Awards Program
The Hydro Research Foundation is leading the Research Awards Program designed to stimulate new student research and academic interest in conventional or pumped storage hydropower. The awards – which include a living stipend of up to $18,000 and a tuition-and-allowance of up to $10,000 – are made possible by a grant from the Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Program of the U.S. Department of Energy. In 2016, the Foundation anticipates making one-year awards to between 4-10 students. Applications are due March 14, 2016, for appointments beginning June 2016 for one-year funding.
Job and Internship Opportunities
The CIRE Lab (Combustion, Ignition, Radiation, and Energy Laboratory)is seeking an undergraduate student to be involved with experimental research. The student needs to have a junior standing, have machine shop approval and a minimum of 3.5 GPA. Any students interested should send a resume to Dr. David Blunck. (email@example.com)
These MIME-related job opportunities are a selection of what is available at the OSU Beaver Careers postings, listed in order of closing date:
- Hewlett Packard seeks an Industrial Engineering Intern Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 2/9/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9510
- Cowlitz PUD seeks an Operational Technology Internship Location: Longview, WA Job ad expires on: 2/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10104
- Traffic Technology Services, Inc. seeks a Technical Writer Location: Beaverton Job ad expires on: 2/15/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10307
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Associate Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6292
- PepsiCo seeks a Frito-Lay Supply Chain Operations Future Leader Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 2/25/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9937
- Barry-Wehmiller Design Group seeks a Project Engineer - Entry Level Location: Portland, OR Job ad expires on: 2/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9310
- Rubicon International seeks a Rubicon Internship Location: Portland, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9728
- NAVAIR - Patuxent River seeks a Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR) Aviation Cost Analyst Location: Pautxent River, MD Job ad expires on: 2/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9736
- Hampton Affiliates seeks an Electrical Engineer - Controls Location: Willamina, OR Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9755
- Near Space Corporation seeks an Aerospace Engineer / Flight Test Engineer - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9762
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Flight Operations Manager - UAS Location: Tillamook, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 2/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9763
- Nan Inc. seeks a Project Engineer Location: Honolulu, HI Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9782
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership seeks an Internship Opportunities (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9861
- McMinnville Economic Development Partnership seeks an Engineering Internship (Multiple) Location: McMinnville, OR Job ad expires on: 2/29/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9863
- DHL Express seeks an Operation Supervisor Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8404
- DHL Express seeks an Account Representative Support Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8405
- International Paper seeks a Manufacturing Management Associate Location: 18 locations across the U.S. Job ad expires on: 3/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10083
- BNSF Railway seeks a Technology Services (Unmanned Arial Systems) Intern 2016 Location: Fort Worth, TX Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9839
- BNSF Railway seeks an Engineering Intern 2016 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9841
- BNSF Railway seeks a Mechanical (Engineering) Intern 2016 Location: Systemwide, US Job ad expires on: 3/6/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9842
- Wabash National seeks a Continuous Improvement Coordinator Location: Portland, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9920
- Nolan Transportation Group seeks an Account Manager Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10345
- Nolan Transportation Group seeks a Carrier Operations Specialist Location: Vancouver, WA Job ad expires on: 3/11/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10346
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks an Operations Management Development Program Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9968
- Precision Castparts Corp. seeks a Co-op and Internship Program Location: various location in United States Job ad expires on: 3/12/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9971
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education seeks a Research Experiences/Internships Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States, Morgantown, West Virginia United States, Albany, Oregon United States Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 5160
- Delta Construction Corporation seeks an Engineer I Location: Kapolei, Oahu, Hawaii Job ad expires on: 3/13/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9986
- Anjaneyap Global Inc seeks an Entry Level Business Analyst and Quality Analyst Location: Milpitas, California Job ad expires on: 3/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10076
- Grakon LLC seeks a Thermal Testing Intern Location: Kent, WA Job ad expires on: 3/20/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10121
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks a HVAC Careers Location: Tualatin, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10193
- Arrow Mechanical Contractors seeks an AutoCAD Drafter / Assistant Estimator Location: Tualatin, OR Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10184
- NVIDIA seeks a MECHANICAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10156
- NVIDIA seeks a THERMAL ENGINEER - INTERN Location: United States Job ad expires on: 3/22/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10157
- Pacific Quest seeks a Program Guide Location: Big Island, Hawaii Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10235
- AAA Metal Fabrication seeks a Design/Mechanical Engineer Location: The Dalles Job ad expires on: 3/26/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10236
- Sagetech Corporation seeks an Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Location: White Salmon, WA Job ad expires on: 3/27/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10260
- Batelle Energy Alliance Idaho National Laboratory seeks a University Student Internships Location: Idaho Falls Job ad expires on: 3/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 7962
- Maxim Integrated seeks an Entry-Level Process Engineer Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8675
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Process Engineer Intern (Summer 2016) Location: Beaverton, OR Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8676
- Maxim Integrated seeks a Supply Chain Management Rotational Program Location: Beaverton, OR; San Jose, CA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8679
- Xerox seeks a Process Engineer - Chemical (New College Hire) Location: Wilsonville, Oregon Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9550
- Texas Instruments seeks a Manufacturing Supervisor Intern Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9697
- WaferTech seeks an Engineering Internships Location: Camas, WA Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9760
- Cree, Inc. seeks a New Grad Process Engineer Location: Durham, NC Job ad expires on: 3/31/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10284
- Translations.com seeks a Project Coordinator Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 4/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10353
- Translations.com seeks a Junior Localization Engineer Location: Corvallis, OR Job ad expires on: 4/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10354
- Pacific Reach Advisors, Inc. seeks an International Management Trainee Location: Tokyo metropolitan area Job ad expires on: 4/3/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10406
- Linn County General Services seeks an Interior Drafting Intern Location: Albany, Oregon Job ad expires on: 4/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9742
- Near Space Corporation seeks a Range Safety Officer (RSO) Location: Tillamook, OR Job ad expires on: 4/4/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 10427
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Electrical/Signal) Operations Management Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9411
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Manager (Structures) Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9412
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks an Engineering Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9413
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Mechanical Intern/Co-op Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9414
- Union Pacific Railroad seeks a Production Manager (Locomotive or Freight Car Departments) Location: Various Locations Job ad expires on: 4/28/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 9416
- Collins Agricultural Consultants Inc. seeks a Research Technician Location: Oregon City Job ad expires on: 5/1/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 8939
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration seeks a Junior Officer Location: Nationwide Job ad expires on: 5/19/2016 Beaver Careers ID: 6188
Faculty and Post-Doc Positions
- NEW -- The Department of Industrial, Manufacturing, & Systems Engineering (IMSE) at the University of Texas at Arlington invites applications for multiple tenure-track positions in a) engineering management and (b) complex systems modeling. Applications accepted until positions are full.
- NEW -- The Department of Mechanical & Materials Engineering at the University of Denver is seeking candidates for new tenure-track Assistant Professor position in experimental biomechanics/biomaterials. Apply by Feb. 15
- Blekinge Institute of Technology seeks a senior lecturer at the Department of Strategic Sustainable Development in Karlskrona, Sweden. The position comprises research and pedagogical work within the field strategic sustainable development with a focus on sustainable product- and service innovation. Reference number: BTH 3.1.1-0375-2015. Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at George Mason University (GMU) seeks a Senior Administrator (associate chair) at the rank of Associate Professor or Full Professor. Apply by Feb. 15.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at George Mason University (GMU) seeks to fill multiple tenure-track and tenured positions beginning the fall semester of 2016. Apply by Feb. 15.
- Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) has multiple faculty open positions in Design, Manufacturing, and Thermofluid Sciences. To apply, please submit a detailed curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching interests and philosophy, and a list of at least three references to Scupi_Faculty@scu.edu.cn. Apply by Feb. 27.
- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- UCLA, the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department is accepting applications to fill two full-time tenure track faculty positions open in all ranks. The position (Tracking #JPF01762) is in Aerospace Engineering. The position (Tracking #JPF01763) is in Mechanical Engineering. Apply by March 31.
- NEW -- The Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department of the Naval Postgraduate School is inviting applications from electron Microscopy Specialists to fulfill a research assistant professor position to support the research and development of a variety of materials including metals, ceramics, carbon-based materials and composites. Apply by April 1.
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering at Vanderbilt University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of nanomaterials, for solving critical energy issues. Apply by May 1.
Forward newsletter submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm on Friday to appear in the following Monday’s issue. For access to past MIME E-Bulletins, visit the e-bulletin archives.